Fanmade mecha TBS game

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Freighttrain

Fanmade mecha TBS game

Hi I'm Freighttrain and I'm making a TBS mecha game, here is some eye candy: https://i.imgur.com/usDHGHE.jpg
Last edited by Freighttrain on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freighttrain

Re: Fanmade mecha TBS game

That picture is of a Venn diagram showing the different battlespaces that combat can take place in, and how they interact with each other during gameplay, each battlespace has its own specific dynamics that interact with a player's units and other variables.

Depending on the battlefield chosen during the pre-gameplay sequence, more than one battlespace may be included in any particular game, and many units have mobility in more than one battlespace and some can even strike an enemy from a parallel battlespace. Units that are able to may instead (instead of moving within a single battlespace) spend a turn moving to a parallel battlespace to engage or evade an enemy, or as a stepping stone to the next battlespace in order of altitude etc.

I also intend to integrate into gameplay the designations used in my realistic mobile weapon classification system.
Last edited by Freighttrain on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsarcana

Do you remember how nobody was interested in your 'realistic' classification system and pointed out to you that it's an exercise in overcomplication? If your 'battlespace' concept is any indication I have to assume that should you actually manage to complete this game of yours, it would be a system that requires fifty random rolls to generate characters/MS, ten to perform the simplest action in-game and take approximately an hour to determine that 42 of your bullets in a salvo hit 19 separate bits of the enemy MS and did... hold on, I can't calculate the damage because I lost the will to live after trying to make sense of the armor penetration rules.

Let's just look at your map idea to see why this entire project is doomed to failure when all you have is one bit of a concept to show for it. You have five separate 'Ground' terrain types, you have four Water types (how anything would be functionally different between 'Amphibious Subsurface' and 'Naval Subsurface' is anybody's guess), you have a separate 'Pelagic' classificaiton which is literally meaningless since that word just means 'open ocean' which you apparently already cover with your Naval classifications, multiple altitudes of air combat... it's just way too much detail and almost none of it means anything.

Are you at all familiar with the Super Robot Wars series? You know, games that regularly combine mecha from all sorts of franchise and makes them all work well together. Do you want to know how many terrain types it has, in total? Four. Ground, Water, Air and Space. Take a hint from the people who literally get paid to make giant robot games.
Freighttrain

Hahaha no Arsarcana that's not a map, that's just some eye candy of one of the gameplay dynamics, though is that picture all I have to show for it? No, I have much in the way of a gameplay system(s) developed, though despite it being on the back burner for now I wouldn't dare show it's workings anywhere until I have ascertained that I have a definite interest from several parties, but in several months has anyone even asked? No they haven't, yours is actually the first reply I have received that is more than a couple sentences, though I can tell you that you are wrong, it is not doomed to fail and it does not have a system of 50 random rolls for character generation or 10 to perform the simplest action, haha though thank you for the heads up I will probably try to avoid developing it in that direction

Much of the SHMV creation would be derived from templates with modifications made for commanders and special mission equipment/logistics, so it would be rather straightforward regarding that, though the available selection will be large enough, and on character generation I'm not sure exactly how that would factor into gameplay, maybe stuff like reputation, reflexes and perks.

Now aside from the gameplay system(s) I have also developed a concise yet comprehensive primer, which explains the difference between things like 'Naval subsurface' and 'Amphibious subsurface'. and at the moment 'Pelagic' just means; among other things; that in the battlezone there is no land in sight, so amphibious capability does not factor in to traversal or engagement rules in a pelagic battlespace.

So if I wanted to I could easily make a much simpler system with only four battlespaces like you suggested, but why would I do that, it's so easy and it's nothing new, plus I intend to make use of my realistic mobile weapon classification systems and expand on their partial focus on battlespace viability, and regarding your last comment on giant robot games, the only good one I've seen so far is Mechwarrior Online, though I'm sure there are plenty of good turn-based ones.

Anyway I'm not looking to appeal to people looking for a simple game system, some people enjoy immersive gameplay dynamics with a focus on realism (so no' Super Robot' gangbanger party), and I intend to create a game that would draw the attention of those people, though after I have completed it I might create an abridged version for faster simplified gameplay.

PS: When it comes to sci-fi, an exercise in overcomplication is better than one in oversimplification, and certainly when the focus is on realism, though no I wasn't trying to overcomplicate it and I don't think it turned out that way.
Last edited by Freighttrain on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragoMaster009

Honestly Freighttrain from what I've seen of your "work" elsewhere, you tend to overcomplicate everything you decide to get yourself involved with.
Freighttrain

I'm seeing the word 'overcomplicate' used a lot, I just like fleshed-out content and attention to detail.
DragoMaster009

Apparently you and everybody else has different definitions of "fleshed-out content" and "attention to detail".
Freighttrain

Well I don't have an insecurity or deficiency that causes me to seek out the opinions of everybody else before going forward with something, and if 'overcomplicated' is your only criticism then the problem is your own comprehensive ability, since I made well sure that my blog posts contain proper explanatory sections.

I would like to hear back from Arsarcana before you comment again.
Arsarcana

Freighttrain wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:36 am I wouldn't dare show it's workings anywhere until I have ascertained that I have a definite interest from several parties
Don't hold your breath waiting...
'Pelagic' just means; among other things; that in the battlezone there is no land in sight, so amphibious capability does not factor in to traversal or engagement rules in a pelagic battlespace.
Dare I ask how it is possibly relevant to any reasonable tabletop game whether land is in sight or not when it comes to underwater terrain rules?
and regarding your last comment on giant robot games, the only good one I've seen so far is Mechwarrior Online, though I'm sure there are plenty of good turn-based ones.
You should really look at SRW, there are even games you can play right now in English since I'm sure Japanese is beyond you. It will give you an idea what a turn-based mecha game can do without being insanely convoluted.
When it comes to sci-fi, an exercise in overcomplication is better than one in oversimplification
When you can find me any published science fiction that thinks that giant robots have to be classified down to the tiniest detail of body shape, let me know. While you're looking in vain, I suggest you look up the KISS principle.
Freighttrain wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:12 pm I'm seeing the word 'overcomplicate' used a lot, I just like fleshed-out content and attention to detail.
No, you like levels of detail that no sane human cares about. We spent several pages explaining why your 'classification' system is neither realistic nor in any way sensible, there's no need to rehash that topic yet again.
Freighttrain wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:42 pm Well I don't have an insecurity or deficiency
Your obsession with classifying things that literally nobody else cares about ( including Zoids characters by hair color with yet more made-up words) suggests otherwise.
and if 'overcomplicated' is your only criticism then the problem is your own comprehensive ability, since I made well sure that my blog posts contain proper explanatory sections.
And here we go again, you have your head so far up your ass that you're convinced that your ideas are unimpeachable and all criticism is because we can't understand your brilliance.
I would like to hear back from Arsarcana before you comment again.
You're not the Forum God, you don't get to tell people when they can post. It's only coincidence that I'm responding again before they can.
Freighttrain

You do not appear to be very friendly with me Arsarcana, and neither does Drago, though I can't imagine why, I could easily dispel every stubby little point in your last reply, but I honestly do not think you really believe in your own commentary.

Though just so you know, I used the word 'chromatocephalofollic' in my Zoids girls hair colour classification system, as a joke regarding some of the terminology I developed for the realistic mobile weapon classification systems I created, however maybe it's not as funny or easily grasped as I first thought.
Arsarcana

Just like you dispelled every cogent point people raised about your bullshit classification systems? Oh wait, no you didn't. Once again you're being insanely arrogant and treating your ideas as if there can be nothing wrong with them and the fault must be on anyone who dares disagree with you. Which is why nobody particularly likes you.

That said, I clearly made a grave mistake in responding to this topic in the first place and regret giving you the attention you're so obviously looking for, which is why I will not be providing you any more hereafter.
Freighttrain

No I don't recall anyone anywhere ever saying anything about my Zoid Classification System, this is news to me, could you please point to where people have been discussing it so that I may see this for myself, thank you.
Freighttrain

Perhaps someone would be so helpful as to point out why I seem to have been receiving negative attention here.