nail polish remover and chrome

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
lazidude999

nail polish remover and chrome

will applying nail polish on chrome damage it? Im trying to remove mistakes from using gundam markers with nail polish on chrome plated parts like the akatsuki.
auriga

A good, easy tip is to try it first on a plated sprue then see what will happen - if anything will.

That's why I don't throw away my sprues. They have their uses, especially when testing finishing materials. Heck, just a few hours ago I used chopped up bits as fillers for the Xekueins' hollow shields (which I then covered with 1mm plastic sheet).
lazidude999

Thanks, will do, i just need to get them out of the trash can. Didnt know sprues were useful heh.
auriga

Resourcefulness is a key characteristic in modeling. Just a friendly reminder.
duke4799

Nail polish remover, if it has acetone in it will eat through plastic. Even if it's acetone free it will most likely damage the chrome. Harsh stuff nail polish remover. Like auriga said, try it on a peace of the sprue first.

I save sprues to make colored putties. I saw in a Hobby Mag once that you can mix the left over plastic with acetone and make a putty that will bond to the model and then dry to a nearly flawless match in color. Just sand it smooth and it's nearly perfect. Doesn't take much acetone to melt the plastic either, just have to make sure there's not so much in there that it eats up the model.

Of coarse, one could just use regular putties and then paint, which I end up doing anyway for detail work...
South Burning

Re: nail polish remover and chrome

Some "removing agents" to try are (1) 100% denatured alcohol, which you would get in a hardware store (2) WD40, also from the hardware store (3) Hoppe's #9 powder solvent, from a sporting goods store and (4)if you can find it a cleaning solvent called 1,1,1 trichloroethane. I used trichlor when I worked at IBM. It would take model paint off of a factory guitar finish without damaging the factory finish. It was, however, outlawed by the EPA and is scarce today.