Paint with Markers?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
crazedjustice888

Paint with Markers?

Post by crazedjustice888 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Can you paint with the Gundam Markers? As in, mark over the whole thing with them? Of course I mean the wide ones.

Genese Gundam

Post by Genese Gundam » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Yes, but if you are a messy painter like me, you can expect a full finger and nail paint job as well :o

I've only done it about once, since i really use the markers to add smaller details, but i don't think it has a consistant coat, and can look slightly scribbled on depending on which colour, (but that is just me)

One thing i have noticed recently though is, that there seems to be a problam where it begins to fade after a few months. It has happened to two of my kits which have been sitting in there boxes recently, so it is kinda weird, since my first explanation would have been the sunlight. So be warned if you plan to do the whole shebang.

P.S It is probably better to prime the kit first, as some markers (primarily the Red) doesn't come out well on any colours other than white or tan....

crazedjustice888

Post by crazedjustice888 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:38 pm

By prime, what exactly do you mean?

Kurando

Post by Kurando » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:41 pm

What If I weren't to do the whole kit, But rather thick details that would normally be put in with stickers? By thick I mean not the size of a panel line but a pretty large detail in comparison like... a panel line but 5 times as thick as a normal panel line.

EDIT: By prime he meant to wash the kit to get rid of any excess oil residue. And prime coat the model so it is a blank, grey color and that the color your putting on will not blend in with the color with the part your painting... lets say putting a blue marker on a red plastic part may look weird...

crazedjustice888

Post by crazedjustice888 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:52 pm

SO basically spray it down to a gray. What would I use to get rid of all of the oil residue?

Kurando

Post by Kurando » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:39 pm

crazedjustice888 wrote:SO basically spray it down to a gray. What would I use to get rid of all of the oil residue?
Well.. not just gray but get an ACTUAL primer spray can.. they may even come in white ect.

Just wash the parts with soap in a basin with a toothbrush to clean them.

Also experiment and research more before trying any of this.

crazedjustice888

Post by crazedjustice888 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Alright. Sounds cool to me. This can be any form of primer paint....right?

Gone Astray

Post by Gone Astray » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:35 pm

Kurando wrote:What If I weren't to do the whole kit, But rather thick details that would normally be put in with stickers? By thick I mean not the size of a panel line but a pretty large detail in comparison like... a panel line but 5 times as thick as a normal panel line.
That would be fine, seeing as how the non-paneling markers are about five times the size of a paneling marker. :)

But seriously, it would depend on how large the area is. I'm currently doing up the 1/144 HG Freedom in Gundam Markers as an experiment, and so far, I haven't had much of a problem with larger areas (like the black sections of the wings). Just do two coats or so because the paint's a little thin and can look really streaky. (I'm doing three for the Freedom, mainly because I didn't think to prime it! :D!)

@crazedjustice: Testor's has a few different colors of primer, so I'd say you should go for those. Keep in mind that different colors of primer can affect the colors you paint over them; a white primer tends to make the coats over it go lighter, while darker primers make the other coats go darker (natch). Just play around with your paints and primers on stuff you won't care about losing, like scrap plastic, until you get a feel for how things go.

And I'd say avoid enamel paints because they're hard to work with and will pick up every single hair, dust mote, skin print, retina imprint, and DNA codon that comes within five feet of them while they're drying. But if you can work in a completely sterile environment and flash dry any enamels and immediately apply sealer, then by all means, go for 'em.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"

crazedjustice888

Post by crazedjustice888 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:52 am

Alright. So markers are a go.

P.S. OH NO!!!! I BLED ON THE MODEL!!! NOW MY DNA WILL SHOW!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! I found that strangely hilarious.

KrnGuy1056

Post by KrnGuy1056 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:48 am

ughh where do you get gundam markers? :evil: and i mean not from buying online. Im thirteen and i cant find any "gundam" markers here.

Hiryu02

Post by Hiryu02 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:00 am

Unfortunately, online is the most reliable source, unless you happen to live near a hobbyshop that miraculously carries them.

KrnGuy1056

Post by KrnGuy1056 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:13 am

dam...i think i know where they would sell. Theres these place where i buy my gundam models. And its this little store with bounch of Bleach, naruto and things like that...wonder if they have it. Anyway thanks

GorFrag

Post by GorFrag » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Unless you know a hell of a lot more about useing markers than I (And i'm not saying you don't) you will get a lot of streaking and brush marks. the markers should only be used for paneling and small areas.

Arsarcana

Post by Arsarcana » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Markers are great for detailing and if you're looking at a 1/144 scale kit you can even use them to paint the whole thing colors permitting, though it does look streaky even with multiple coats for most pens. For some reason, I've yet to manage to get a white marker to not leave obvious streak marks. If you're going to do a whole kit that uses a lot of white (ie most Gundams), I'd suggest using spray paint for the white sections rather than the marker.