Is the Perfect Grade series dying?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Recon 5

Well, I say let Bandai release Perfect Grade kits anytime they want. If they want to wait 20 more years for the next release, we have no right to say during those 20 years that the series is dead. Lets not consider the PG saga over until Bandai issues a press statement, okay?
SNT1

But then you wouldn't consider the PG line 'alive' in the 20 years it has been missing in that scenario. (I certainly wouldn't) Can we call it a vegetable then?
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kratos

SNT1 wrote:It will be a killer alright, a bank/wallet killer. Possibly a Gunpla killer as we know it. I can easily see a PG Qubeley or Jagd Doga costing 30,000 yen. It is just impractical.
Little drastic, wouldn't you say? How would a PG Jagd Doga be any less practical (or, for that matter, any more expensive) than any other PG release? How would it be the killer of Gunpla as we know it? Just because YOU don't think it's a good idea, it doesn't mean that a PG release of the Qubeley would crash the entire Gunpla industry.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
SNT1

Kratos wrote:
SNT1 wrote:It will be a killer alright, a bank/wallet killer. Possibly a Gunpla killer as we know it. I can easily see a PG Qubeley or Jagd Doga costing 30,000 yen. It is just impractical.
Little drastic, wouldn't you say? How would a PG Jagd Doga be any less practical (or, for that matter, any more expensive) than any other PG release? How would it be the killer of Gunpla as we know it? Just because YOU don't think it's a good idea, it doesn't mean that a PG release of the Qubeley would crash the entire Gunpla industry.
Bandai probably doesn't think it's a good idea either, that's why we haven't seen a new release in what, 3 years? Even then the PG releases were sticking to the highly popular mecha like Zeta, WZC to name a few. Hell, I'm surprised even the ultra-MS-celebrity Freedom has yet to see a PG release. With other more popular mecha such as the Strike/ Freedom, Nu, ZZ, RX-79[G], any GMs, I'm surprised you bring up the Qubeley and especially the Jagd Doga, which doesn't even have a Master Grade release yet.

You think Bandai can just poop out ultra-large model kits that are fairly obscure and only caters to the fanatic and/or ones with the fat wallet, and still make some profit?

This PG line can be revived from its vegetated state (No, it is not alive and well, gone are the days of a new release every 12-15 months) with probably something like a Strike Freedom or an Exia. But stuffing the PG line with something that wouldn't be easily recognizable is financial harakiri.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Deus EpS Machina

Kratos wrote:
Its exactly what SNT1 says.

If you thought that (aside from UC) MG releases were reserved for designs that sold well or were main MS, and thought that was rather picky and choosy of Bandai, well the PG line takes that to whole new levels as now things get into symbolic and sentimental value as well.

A PG has to be very popular, well known and at the same time needs to be easy to make on that scale and detail. It is my beleif that the current roster of PGs is of very simple MS designs (yes even Zeta and WZC) and small ones at that. Bandai needs to keep their costs down and at the same time create something spectacular for a price people will be willing to pay. This is why you wont get larger MS as PGs, why Nu or Sazabi have not been given that honour yet.

I dont care how much people demand it of them or how popular the design was as it all comes down to cost to the consumer and when it comes time to actual give some price to the PG Sazabi, people will who previously wanted the damned thing will settle with just gawking at photographs if it costs too much, and considering the regular MG Sazabi costs $80 i dont doubt a PG Sazabi with all the PG shits and giggles will cost no less than $300. And thats just talking about the symbolic design that is a Sazabi meaning you can pretty much forget the comparitivly unknown MS such the Doga.

However, i think that the PG Strike was the first in a new way of thinking in terms of PGs. As far as I'm concerned, PG releases will only deal with the current running anime, with the main MS getting a release. Thats it. If there is a new PG on the way, I think its Exia. 00's the current anime and interest in it is active which will make selling it a rather easy job especially when you consider it such an easy design to do and full of wonderful gimmick ideas (like LEDs in the GN Drive bubble things).

Of course, that is assuming that the PG line isnt dead, which it is, so whatever.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Kratos

And that all makes perfect sense. What I was arguing against was SNT1's statements that a PG Jagd Doga model (to use one of the same examples) would somehow be more expensive than the standard PG, and whose creation would be a "Gunpla killer as we know it" (which I took to mean the crash of the entire Gunpla industry). Especially the latter, because c'mon, Gunpla is a huge industry. How would one unsuccessful PG model destroy the entire thing?
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Recon 5

It might kill the PG series, as everyone here has been worrying about, and frankly Gunpla won't be the same ("as we know it") without the juggernaut PG kits.

I do wonder, though, if PG gimmicks like metal components and electronics will eventually filter down into the MG and maybe the RD lines. If that ever happened, then that would be the perfect indicator short of a Bandai press release that the PG series was on its way out.
SNT1

Kratos wrote:And that all makes perfect sense. What I was arguing against was SNT1's statements that a PG Jagd Doga model (to use one of the same examples) would somehow be more expensive than the standard PG, and whose creation would be a "Gunpla killer as we know it" (which I took to mean the crash of the entire Gunpla industry). Especially the latter, because c'mon, Gunpla is a huge industry. How would one unsuccessful PG model destroy the entire thing?
It would be a horrible financial mistake. You think companies like Ford are losing money because all of their models suck? No. Little business mistakes here and there adds up. A PG Jagd Doga is a waste because they would be focusing their resources on a low-volume, low-selling kit of a 'meh' mecha in terms of popularity instead of mass-producing it in the very famous MG line.

short answer is: a PG Jagd Doga? Get real. it's impossible.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Blade of the Red Comet

Not impossible...just infinitely improbable. :lol: Technically speaking of course.
joelfinkle

Here's my take on it:

If SEED Destiny had better ratings, we might have seen a PG Strike Freedom or Destiny or something else on that order. I haven't seen Destiny to know what has the kewl factor that's worth a 15000Y+ outlay.

As it is, Freedom would probably sell better, and an Astray-with-upgrades (if only there weren't so many) would probably sell better than that. A PG with Red/Blue/Gold swappable panels? Not unthinkable.

A PG Exia or 0 in the next year is still a possibility, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If the Real Detail line is selling for Bandai better than the PGs did, we probably will see more of those, and no more PGs. I'm still holding out for more Glorious Series models (heh).
Jak Crow

Recon 5 wrote:It might kill the PG series, as everyone here has been worrying about, and frankly Gunpla won't be the same ("as we know it") without the juggernaut PG kits.

I do wonder, though, if PG gimmicks like metal components and electronics will eventually filter down into the MG and maybe the RD lines. If that ever happened, then that would be the perfect indicator short of a Bandai press release that the PG series was on its way out.
Well, the electronics has happened in the form of the RD Strike Freedom, and a nice job of it too IMO, so I'm assuming that means PG is on its way out :)
Recon 5

I said short of a press release...

Still, if all the stuff we pay extra for in PGs appears in regular lines, the PG line would then become redundant. Continuing to keep it alive would be bad business if you sell the same or similar stuff in cheaper lines.