Using Sand in Dioramas

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
CHASER

Using Sand in Dioramas

I've dedicated myself to a little project, especially since I was conned into buying a model that is... well, counterfit, and I decided to make a nice little Diorama out of it.

It's a 1/100 Nu Gundam Model, and I wanted to make it lay down on dark dunes and severely damaged, of course with odd pieces scattered around partially buried in the sand. What I wanted to ask is if any of you have used sand anyway similar to this and can give me a few tips?

One thing I though of is mixing the sand with PVA glue that'll dry clear, and basically sculpt it into form, then lay the Nu and add more of the 'putty-sand' around it to make it look like it's partially sunk in.

I'm not exactly sure why, though. And I don't have another mobile suit to stand over it, but I think it would make for an interesting scene. In case any of you wonder, no I don't have anything against the Nu, it's just that there's no other thing I'll be able to do with the model once it's done, since I've made the arms and those barely hold together, and many slots where tabs are meant to go into aren't on the model. I had to glue the shoulder verniers on ;_;

So doing this will most likely end with something constructive, while I still get to bash the model.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
ulnhyrr

Here's something I sorta started working on a few months ago. I still haven't gotten the base done. I just need to paint the Alex then brush on some white glue and sprinkle sand all over the place. I think it's similar to what you want to do.
http://gamerabaenre.com/0080_desert_dio_prog.htm
It's just an alternative method to buring the kit.
lalahsghost

http://www.fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots ... tRoad.html

*Admin Approved* Fichtenfoo *Admin Approved* has a great article that may be of service also. They're a really cool community over there
CHASER

Wow, very nice. Makes me glad I live near a shoreline.

Thanks to both of you for the help ^_^

Now if only this model would be as cooperative.. not a single piece fits on properly, though the thing can stand with only one leg :shock: (although, without the head or backpack since the neck polycap won't fit).
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.