What I've been working on lately (ver. MechaTalk)

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
SNT1

What I've been working on lately (ver. MechaTalk)

Posting my current project that I'll hopefully finish <.<

1/100 Chaos Gundam! Granted, I wasn't a big a fan of the MS, but I figured without that ugly paint scheme it couldnt be so bad. Or it could be just Plajapan suckering me with their shtoopidly low price.

Paint scheme - 1. Couldn't find a suitable lineart that I can easily color with, and 2. I am a photo-editing noob anyway. So I figured I'll just make a borderline retarded custom lineart.... At least it should depict my proposed schemes good enough.

Most of it snapped, gun pods and weapons still in runners. Dont mind the couple of strands of hair >.<;;;

Puttying, what a chore

Cutting the peg off the face part, it should slide on the head part easily, eliminating masking

Test primed the big parts, just for fun.

About the scheme, I still don't know what to do. I'll likely end up a combination of the 1st 3 proposed schemes. As for mods, meh, gonna wing it, and even then, they would probably be convenience mods, just to avoid teh terrible thing known as masking, and not creative visual mods.

Boy, I sure hope I dont screw this one up.
Duo

EDIT:

Ok I just just thinking that the whole 'if it's been started then keep in the same thread' things counted for here too ^.^ Didn't mean to come off rude or anything.

As for the scheme.. I have to agree with thr #3 with white ducts I think... Or maybe Grey ducts would works too...

Also... -shameless plug- My thread's links should be working now! :D -/shameless plug-
Last edited by Duo on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"TAG ALONG ON MY JOURNEY INTO HELL!"
"Momma said real men don't cry..."
"The God of Death is Back from Hell!"
-Duo Maxwell - Shinigami
SNT1

I felt inspired from the Mecha Design & Fanart thread, with personal threads for personal projects. Personally I don't want to lump everything int one thread (could get messy) but we'll see what people think...
PlasticFrog

I agree with "personal threads for personal projects" policy. I got nothing to show off yet, but if/when I do, I'd prefer to have my own thread where everything is dedicated to ME ME ME!!!!! :lol:

Unless the board gets overloaded with "look at what I built!" threads, I think personal threads are fine. Just my two cents. :)

As for the paint scheme, I like #3, but with white chest ducts like #1 and #2.

Agreed. One thread Per User, just like in MD&F ~LG *goes and adds the rule~*
Most recently purchased: MG Hyper Mode God Gundam
Most recently finished: SD Verde Buster
Supposedly working on: HG Exia + Astraea
SNT1

no worries, no one's angry or anything.

#3 is obviously the most ambitious. As if I didn't make it clear that I hate masking, this one is gonna be 60% of the kit with masking! :x

Like I said, I'm winging this, so while suggestions and comments are very welcome, I won't know what I'd end up with until I actually get around to painting it :lol:

mini-update 1 2 (just a few of many pieces I primed pictured)

I don't think its as visible anymore, but for some annoying reason, after I primed a batch of parts it came off extremely grainy. It looked like sandpaper. I had to smooth it out with fine sandpaper. Anyone know what the cause of this is?
SNT1

Whoo Parts!

1 2 Tamiya German Grey sprayed, surface is still rough thanks to the primer, but liveable, since it is a fighting machine, not a car or a Qubeley.

More convenience mods

So I started using my airbrush a week ago, it was dirty, cleaned the heck out of it, still sputtering. Once I figure out what is wrong / buy the possibly broken parts I will start airbrushing the German Grey'd parts, but right now the only other thing I can do is can spray the gunmetal parts. Other than that, I will probably be silent on updating this for awhile...
"Kamille! Kamille!

SNT1 wrote:I don't think its as visible anymore, but for some annoying reason, after I primed a batch of parts it came off extremely grainy. It looked like sandpaper. I had to smooth it out with fine sandpaper. Anyone know what the cause of this is?
clean your airbrush? :?

that german gray is a really nice color. Lookin good so far.
SNT1

[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]
SNT1 wrote:I don't think its as visible anymore, but for some annoying reason, after I primed a batch of parts it came off extremely grainy. It looked like sandpaper. I had to smooth it out with fine sandpaper. Anyone know what the cause of this is?
clean your airbrush? :? [/quote]

Heh, I actually used a can of Tamiya primer, not the AB (Primer was doing a good job surfacing the plastic up until said freakishly grainy surface)

And as for the german grey, yeh it looks cool on its own already, but its supposed to be a base undercoat for a lighter grey. 8) Then again, like I said no paint scheme is set in stone...
lalahsghost

Distance of holding the can can affect the paint globules to accumulate in the air together before hitting your pieces, in effect making weird textures on the kit. scoot up an inch or so next time you use those tamiya paints, and see if it happens again?
SNT1

I've always sprayed slightly less than 1 ft away, and Ive been through lots of Tamiya Cans (Paint/Primer) and it only happened on this one, and it was smooth before. Given Tamiya's track record on my part, I doubt this would happen again, but it IS weird. Maybe weather effects? (I mean here in Memphis it can be 70 F today and 20 F tomorrow)
SNT1

ok now I realized what the heck is going on: Pollen. It was on 'extremely high' the day I sprayed gunmetal onto my Chaos, and it got stuck all over. Pretty much like sandpaper surface.

Being lazy to buy chemicals to strip the lacquer, I put this project on hold.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Then, I came back to a project that I have also abandoned months ago and laid down some drybrushing on it:

MG F91!

Still not a proficient drybrusher, but I'm working on it.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/ ... G_3961.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/ ... G_3960.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/ ... G_3962.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/ ... G_3963.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/ ... G_3968.jpg
(the feet are angled funny, I know)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/ ... G_3969.jpg
(Also, I just plucked the carpet hair sticking out its arm and shoulder)

Modelmaster Gunmetal, Titanium and Stainless Steal were sprayed so far(Lacquer), and drybrushed with Tamiya Titanium Silver. I gotta say, even though the F91 is all plastic to plastic, the lacquer is holding out quite well when I move the joints.