Gunpla marketing gimmick in the early 2000s

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
False Prophet

Gunpla marketing gimmick in the early 2000s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJ60JkPXsA

Is this true that in the early 2000, you could build your Gunpla and get a "rank" from Bandai through the old official Gundam website? How did it work exactly? Did they categorize different models into different ranks; or did they judge individual models through photos?

And did this gimmick work? Because I read an interview years ago on Gears Online, which Mark Simmons said that Bandai had troubles bringing Gunpla into the US market in the early 2000s.
doctorx0079

Re: Gunpla marketing gimmick in the early 2000s

I was there. I still have my pin. From what I can recall, you bought a kit, sent in the UPC and they sent you a pin made of pot tin with an enamel picture on it. That's it. The whole skill level thing was very misleading and confusing. It was probably invented by American marketing weasels who didn't have a clue about Gundam. It seemed to be aimed at little kids who were expected to snap kits together. In reality it takes more skill and effort to make a 1/144 No-Grade Wing kit look good than a 1/60 Master Grade RX-78 Gundam kit. I first noticed Gunpla when Wing was on Cartoon Network and all of a sudden there was Gunpla at K-Mart and Toys R Us, with all-English boxes no less. Walmart got some too. Fast forward to today, and I doubt we will ever see Gunpla at Walmart again, unless it's the website. You won't see Gunpla at Toys R Us because it doesn't exist! And if you can find a K-Mart they probably don't have anything you want to buy let alone Gunpla. But Hobbytown USA has tons, Bandai Hobby sells direct through Amazon, Barnes and Noble has a few, independent hobby shops get them from Bluefin, and the anime conventions have Gunpla as they always have. Gunpla at Walmart may be a thing of the past but who really cares.
doctorx0079

They did categorize models based mostly on how many parts they had. The lowest "skill level" were the NG Wing kits, and I think the highest "skill level" were the handful of MG kits that got an English-language release, such as the RX-78 Gundam 1.0. It's kind of dumb because the NG Wing kits require the most work to look good, but it seems they just had in mind little kids snapping them together or something. There was also a Gundam bus that traveled around and was also oriented towards kids. The way Gunpla are being distributed in the US now is much more sensible IMO.
doctorx0079

That ad is dumb isn't it? The ad agency had no clue. All you actually had to do was send in a UPC code anyway.
False Prophet

doctorx0079 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 am That ad is dumb isn't it? The ad agency had no clue. All you actually had to do was send in a UPC code anyway.
Thanks you so much for the confirmation! And I have just known about the bus. What a shame for Bandai to have put so much efforts selling Gundam back them and failed.
sarah3539

False Prophet wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJ60JkPXsA

Is this true that in the early 2000, you could build your Gunpla and get a "rank" from Bandai through the old official Gundam website? How did it work exactly? Did they categorize different models into different ranks; or did they judge individual models through photos?

And did this gimmick work? Because I read an interview years ago on Gears Online, which Mark Simmons said that Bandai had troubles bringing Gunpla into the US market in the early 2000s.

I bet these days they are just using a marketing agency to promote website, this more link is one of the best digital agency here in Australia.
Hello there! It's great to see that you are interested in the early history of Gunpla and the official Gundam website. To answer your question, yes, it is true that in the early 2000s, Bandai had a system where you could submit photos of your completed Gunpla to the official Gundam website and receive a rank based on their assessment.

The process worked by allowing Gunpla enthusiasts to upload photos of their completed models to the official website. The Bandai team would then review the photos and assign a rank to the model based on its overall quality and attention to detail. The ranks ranged from C to S, with S being the highest and most prestigious rank that a model could achieve.

It is unclear exactly how Bandai categorized the different models into different ranks, but it is believed that they judged individual models based on the level of detail and craftsmanship that was put into them.

As for whether or not this gimmick worked, it is difficult to say. While the system may have helped to increase interest in Gunpla and the Gundam franchise as a whole, it is true that Bandai did face challenges bringing Gunpla into the US market in the early 2000s, as noted in Mark Simmons' interview on Gears Online.

I hope this information helps answer your questions! Let me know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else I can help you with.
False Prophet

sarah3539 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:51 am Hello there! It's great to see that you are interested in the early history of Gunpla and the official Gundam website. To answer your question, yes, it is true that in the early 2000s, Bandai had a system where you could submit photos of your completed Gunpla to the official Gundam website and receive a rank based on their assessment.

The process worked by allowing Gunpla enthusiasts to upload photos of their completed models to the official website. The Bandai team would then review the photos and assign a rank to the model based on its overall quality and attention to detail. The ranks ranged from C to S, with S being the highest and most prestigious rank that a model could achieve.

It is unclear exactly how Bandai categorized the different models into different ranks, but it is believed that they judged individual models based on the level of detail and craftsmanship that was put into them.

As for whether or not this gimmick worked, it is difficult to say. While the system may have helped to increase interest in Gunpla and the Gundam franchise as a whole, it is true that Bandai did face challenges bringing Gunpla into the US market in the early 2000s, as noted in Mark Simmons' interview on Gears Online.

I hope this information helps answer your questions! Let me know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else I can help you with.
Thank for the answer! It is honestly kind of astonishing how spectacularly Bandai missed the chance to make a breakthrough with Gunpla in America in the early 2000s. They seemed like they had got everything!

Anyway, does anyone remember when 00 came out, instead of making a new section for 00 at GundamInfo, Badai opted to make a completely separate website?