Games workshop paint?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Games workshop paint?

How good are Games Workshop paints on Gundam kits?
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
blind_dead_mcjones

Re: Games workshop paint?

pretty damn good, they dry quickly and can match most of the colours, and i nthe rare even that they don't it can be remedied by mixing colours, also if you go a bit over and it dries you can scratch it off with a toothpick.

i'l take some pics and post them up for ya
Flag Fighter for life!
Geoxile

How are their metallics?
stormturmoil

Generally very good. You do, however, really need a good black undercoat for them to work best. To get a smooth non-grainy shine requires some trial and error with thinning and washing up liquid in my experience, and several layers of metallic> colour wash> metallic highlight/Drybrush, but the results are very much worth it.

it's worth experimenting on some scrap to see the kinds of effects that thinning, washing up liquid and brush technique can give you; it can be surprising: for example, thinned paint plus a rather heftier dash of washing up liquid than usual plus vigorous brush stippling leads to bubbles forming, which sounds bad, but when they settle, it gives a very convincing hammered metal finish similar to Hammerite, which can have it's uses.

Basically, I'd say give them a try on some scrap and see how they turn out. Your mileage may vary
CidHighwind

To me, they always seemed a bit too thick. But then again, what I use (Tamiya) is thinner, and tends to need several layers for a radical color change, anyway. GW paint tends to do it in one layer. The main difference is, GW paint is water-based acryllic and Tamiya is Alcohol-based.
Zeonista

Dominion-kun uses the GW spray paints for certain kits, and they have all turned out looking well. He took my no grade Gerbera Tetra and sprayed it the Red color over a grey primer coat, which made the kit look awesome! Sort of like a Johnny Ridden version. B) As a rule, priming the pieces grey, white, or black first gives the best look. The color of the primer will have an effect on the brightness, so be considerate of that effect.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
jabman025

I use the games workshop paints for details on kits and it works great. The one thing that i does not do a great job is on large areas as it will often come out uneven. I redid a Sandrock custom with workshop paints with mixed results. But small detailed parts like the hands on the MG Blue astray frame, it works very well.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
CidHighwind

The thing I forgot about GW paints, the main reason I use them sparingly outside of tabletop minatures:
The color selection is entirely geared towards those miniatures. They dont have a very good selection of basic colors. The paints themselves are good, but if you arent painting bloodied leather, or a space marine, you find yourself in need of a basic color, like dark grey!