Which Dom type should I buy?

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
holyknight

Which Dom type should I buy?

I am in love with Dom series, their cross faced just looks too damn awesome

So recently I bought a Dom Trooper, the one from Gundam Seed Destiny
But after I finished building it, I was very disappointed. I expected a bulkier looking mobile suit, but instead, I found myself looking at a mobile suit with gundam-body except for the cross face.

So I decided to buy another dom series, and found these ones
Dom Tropen
Rick Dom II
Rick Dom

At first, I thought I liked Rick Dom II the best, but after seeing them more and more, I'm starting to like Rick Dom more. But Rick Dom doesn't seem as bulkier as Rick Dom II, but Rick Dom II's shoulder pad is displeasing. And Dom Tropen just looks not that good.

What do you guys think? Which dom should I buy?
Wulver

Re: Which Dom type should I buy?

The standard Dom has something the other two don't, which is a mechanism to move the mono eye. You might want him just for that.
Gundam is not about heroes looking badass by saving love interests. Gundam is about heroes bawling and spouting philosophies after failing to save love interests.
Basically true.
holyknight

oh, so only the standard dom has that? thought everyone did (now that I think of it, my dom trooper didn't have that either... gargh i hate it even more now)
hmm guess I should buy rick dom then.

and is it me or are mobile suits for zeon look way cooler than gundams? even those regular mobile suits for earth federation look cooler than gundams for me for some reason.
Random_GM_Pilot

The moveable mono-eye really isn't a big deal, honestly. Since you're going to stick it in one position and leave it there, more likely than not. And the Rick Dom II overall has a sleeker look to it (especially the green version), but that's just my opinion. It also requires more paint to look right. The HGUC Dom doesn't really need any unless you want to panel line it or give it a custom scheme. They're both solid kits, but the HGUC Dom is newer, requires less work to look nice, and has the feet and rear skirt for either the normal Dom or Rick Dom, which is neat (along with the beam cannon as well as the bazooka). Can't really comment on the Tropen.

I think the Rick Dom II looks far better if you put time into it, and generally is a more impressive-looking design.
SHIHO: This is Codename “Background”. Codenames “Lenny” and “Carl” are suitably distracted. Begin the operation.
holyknight

I never thought about the green Rick Dom 2, hmm... it does look nice, but doesn't feel "Rick Dom" to me...
but yeah Rick Dom 2 has cooler (darker) color than Rick Dom. Man this is such a huge dilemma.
and yeah I already gave up on Tropen, doesn't interest me anymore
Random_GM_Pilot

And something to keep in mind beyond what style you prefer (Izubuchi vs Okawara/BEE-CRAFT) is what weapons you want. The look of each heat saber and bazooka is different, and the Rick Dom II comes with a machinegun where the Dom/Rick Dom comes with the becam cannon. Also, the Rick Dom II can dual-wield. Don't think the Dom/Rick Dom can (though it's possible I've misplaced a hand somewhere in this parts drawer).
SHIHO: This is Codename “Background”. Codenames “Lenny” and “Carl” are suitably distracted. Begin the operation.
Wulver

The Dom/Rick Dom can dual wield, but not in the sense of two guns. it has two fist hands for the heat saber, an open left palm, and the gun grip hand. Its hands are also a fair bit larger than standard Zeon kits, so it can easily hold whatever Zeon-y weapon you want to give it. Only thing to be wary of is that the hands tend to come apart more easily than they should.

Any Dom is gonna have the bulk you want, Dom Tropen being the most bulky and the Dom II being the most streamlined.

A few pics of my Rick Dom kit. Don't have any direct comparison pics, but I could get some for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ ... C_0045.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ ... C_0077.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ ... C_0085.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ ... C_0069.jpg
Gundam is not about heroes looking badass by saving love interests. Gundam is about heroes bawling and spouting philosophies after failing to save love interests.
Basically true.
holyknight

Ah, so Dom/Rick Dom doesn't have a machine gun... :(
I like machine guns, bazookas or anti-vehicle weapons don't really satisfy me.
Hmm I think I can find a good machine gun from some other mobile suit I have...

well I'm not sure anyone, both Rick Dom 2 and Rick Dom are really cool looking, maybe the best option is to buy both :P
Wulver

Can't really go wrong with that, heh.

And yeah, I've given my Rick Dom the machinegun from my Zudah kit for the time being, works just fine.
Basically true.
Random_GM_Pilot

The "both" option is definitely a great way to go. They're both good kits. And some comparison images. I know you said you'd get the traditional Dom-colored Rick Dom II if you got one, but the green is the one I have, so:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/ ... D2HGUC.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/ ... RDHGUC.jpg
Wulver

What exactly is that blue Gelgoog in the back?
Basically true.
Random_GM_Pilot

Just an HGUC Gelgoog I painted. I also gave it the Dom's bazooka. My attempt at making a Gelgoog as close as possible to the one from The Blue Team (from the Gundam ZZ episodes of the same name).
Wulver

Ah, you did a good job then, I thought it was some sort of special run like I assume my Rick Dom was. Ace job with the painting.
Basically true.
holyknight

wow thanks for the pictures Wulver and Random_GM_Pilot, you guys convinced me that Rick Dom looks cooler than I first thought.
Now I'm even more convinced I must buy both :P

Man that red Dom looks damn awesome, I'm guessing it's limited version?

And yeah Random_GM_Pilot, your painting is so good, thought that was a limited Gelgoog
Random_GM_Pilot

Bah, you guys only think that because it's off in the background. Still needs work.

But yeah, anything with a metallic coating is a limited edition deal. Though there was a set with Char's Rick Dom and the G-3 Gundam sold together in non-metallic but basically the same colors (but also a limited-run deal, AFAIK).

I forgot to mention this earlier, but one thing that is way better on the Rick Dom is the arms. Like the HGUC Gelgoog, it has a much sturdier inner frame kind of connection for the arm joint, whereas the Rick Dom II (much like the Gelgoog Marine) has a rather thin peg just sticking out of the main body, which you need to be careful with. I've broken off a Gelgoog Marine's arm by accident because of those.
Zeonista

No, no, you must buy all of them! All the HGUC Dom kits are excellent! No Dom enthusiast can afford to be without even one!

Why yes, I do own all the individual HGUC Dom kits. Why do you ask? :)

The HGUC Doms always get good features, and for the most part, enough accessories to make them fun. Also, the colors have all been good, and big Dom feet means the MS don't teeter when posed or standing at attention. Most (if not all) of the Doms have gun hands for each arm. And, all the Doms have their benefits, but the following details are nifty.

Dom Tropen: Burly improved Dom, only HGUC type to feature the Yugo-firing Raketen bazooka. The eye sticker glows in low light conditions.
Dom Tropen Desert Color: Has all the weapons featured for it, along with a "stowed" MG and MG clip packs to give good loadout. Also has the Raketen bazooka and eye sticker.
Rick Dom II: Has MG, 0080-style sturmfausts & bazooka.
Rick Dom II Colony Assault Color: As above, in nifty alt green color scheme.
Dom/Rick Dom: Hey, your choice of original design! This is the only HGUC kit to feature the original giant bazooka, and the beam launcher, a rare item but necessary if you want to do a Char Aznable or Anavel Gato Rick Dom. The monoeye does swivel, which is nifty, although it requires a toothpick to change it.

Alas, there has been no HGUC Dowadge released yet. Bandai may get around to it someday. :|

I have nothing against the HG DOM Trooper, it is a good HG kit, and its backpack can be swapped with the Blaze Zaku Warrior packs for further fun. I don't own one, but Dominion-kun does, and he has no complaints.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
holyknight

Well I recently got Dom/Rick Dom, so I am happy :D
Also, Rick Dom 2 and Rick Dom 2 Colony are pretty much same except for color, right? I think just getting Rick Dom II instead of Colony would be fine.
Hmm, Dom Tropen. I think I'll just get the sand version simply because if I buy all Doms, there'd be too much purple :P
Also Dom Tropen Sand version has more weapons :)