Soooo....got my first GFF figure at Otakon....

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Wulver

Soooo....got my first GFF figure at Otakon....

....honestly, I'm very disappointed.

It LOOKS great, really does, and fits in scale-wise with my growing HGUC collection....thing is, is that I'm one to take the models down and play with them, and this thing (the kit in question is 0021b, the F91/F90 kit) is just pitifully articulated. It's more like a statue that moves a little bit then an actual figure.

....maybe I should've expected that. I dunno. but that fact is I still spent $35 on something I now find myself not wanting. and to think I almost bought the 2.0 Char's Zaku too....

So, um, what do I do with this thing now? attempt to learn to love it? Sell it? Hope someone is willing to trade for it?

just generally bummed out. at least the rest of my haul was much better....
Gundam is not about heroes looking badass by saving love interests. Gundam is about heroes bawling and spouting philosophies after failing to save love interests.
Basically true.
SNT1

Re: Soooo....got my first GFF figure at Otakon....

Yeah.... definitely not an action figure. They look and at they're best when they're just standing. All of them are like that.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Wulver

ah, well then, guess it was good I didn't get any of the Zeonography three-packs they had there....

still, how frickin' unwieldy it was was amplified by the fact I got a few Revoltechs. didn't help its case any....anyone wanting to buy a cool looking hunk of plastic? lol......
Gundam is not about heroes looking badass by saving love interests. Gundam is about heroes bawling and spouting philosophies after failing to save love interests.
Basically true.
quasadra

Wulver wrote:anyone wanting to buy a cool looking hunk of plastic? lol......
tell that to figure collectors... :roll:
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Red Comet90

But the fact that the GFF's and Zeonography are all like statues to an extent is a good thing. The plastic they are made out of wouldn't last if they were constantly played with. To me they are more like movable statues anyways. I can pose them how I like and hope a piece doesn't fall off.

If you want one thats like an action figure go for one of the metal composites. I have the 1/100 RX-78 in Char's Colors and its really really pose able and movable. More than the Revoltechs and the other GFF. Its nice but expensive.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Deus EpS Machina

SNT1 wrote:Yeah.... definitely not an action figure. They look and at they're best when they're just standing. All of them are like that.
Thats mainly what Katoki makes eh, statues.
Wulver wrote:ah, well then, guess it was good I didn't get any of the Zeonography three-packs they had there....

still, how frickin' unwieldy it was was amplified by the fact I got a few Revoltechs. didn't help its case any....anyone wanting to buy a cool looking hunk of plastic? lol......
If you had gotten something other than a F-91, i may have.

But seriously, GFFs of every kind are statues. Theyre display pieces and thats about it. I have a Fix Exia, bought it fom HLJ for $20 on sale and i knew exactly what to expect. I always knew GFFs were as OP says but i needed confirmation, and none did it better than Fix Exia. Considerring what the kit versions can do, its a testament to how crappy GFFs are in articulation by comparison. But god DAMN are they a sight for sore eyes (Fix Exia excluded as Katoki raped Ebikawa's design, its kind of sad the best part of the design are its feet).

oh, and if you wanted an action figure, you may as have bought a HCM-Pro.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Wulver

I realize I failed this time around, yeah, I know. live and learn and all that. just wish it hadn't been at the price of a Master Grade, is all.

I actually haven't taken more than the figure and the wing/guns and beam shield out of the box yet. Dunno if I should remove the parts and mess around with the thing, see if I like it, or just to leave it in the box and put up an eBay posting or a listing here.

On a side note, I think I got a Rick Dom kit at Otakon that's not on the Dalong page. which I found kinda surprising.
Basically true.
Geoxile

LOLOLOL

GFFs. They look nice...so basically the only thing you can do with them is have them as stand art.
Tailsnake

Geoxile wrote:LOLOLOL

GFFs. They look nice...so basically the only thing you can do with them is have them as stand art.
They're basically meant to be posed and left alone, they're not meant to be played with. I don't actually play with my HGs (I usually have them in my room until I realize they look ugly w/o paint and they end up in a box in my basement) so GFF figures (which look much better out of the box) and come with custom display stands are much more down my alley, I'm just hoping they make a GFF Hi-Nu Gundam eventually.
Wulver

Well, I went through the process and converted the F91 to the F90.....and I actually like it a lot more now. I have a hunch I can learn to like it, though I still think $35 was too much for it....ah well.

I'm warming up to it, gradually.
Basically true.
ShadowCell

In my limited experience, some GFFs are more poseable and play-with-able than others. In terms of articulation, I'd say the Crossbones, the F90/F91, and the Wing ver Ka. were comparable to early MSiAs, like the ones you could find at Walmart back in the day. But others, like the GFF Perfect Gundam, weren't even that poseable.

I can't really say you get what you pay for, though, because GFFs are ka-friggin' expensive. If you want something you can play with, you're better off looking for HCM Pros, MSiAs/EMSiAs, or the Robot Damashii figures (although those are a mixed bag as well).
Geoxile

I don't bother with them. The paint is often shoddy and leaky and the parts are loose and brittle. Like jolly ranchers as someone put it.
Vifam7

The new GFFN and GFF Metal Composite figures supposedly offers better articulation. The build quality is certainly better in them as there's less use of PVC plastic. Still overpriced though (IMHO).

Personally, I think HCM Pros offer the best bang for the buck if you're looking for a toy with good articulation and a decent price.
Red Comet90

Vifam7 wrote:The new GFFN and GFF Metal Composite figures supposedly offers better articulation. The build quality is certainly better in them as there's less use of PVC plastic. Still overpriced though (IMHO).

Personally, I think HCM Pros offer the best bang for the buck if you're looking for a toy with good articulation and a decent price.
The Metal Composites are a lot better but I agree way too over priced even though the RX-78 in Char's colors is really nice.

-- Haman Karn
Randall Miyashiro

They really do vary in quality. The Z'gok GFF is great for arm articulation while the Gelgoog can't pose at all. I agree that the F90/91 is nice. I also like the designs for the Mk-II/Barzam/FA kits.

The GFF is also loose/non-scale as the Ex-S is only a smidgen taller than the F-91, unlike the 1/100 MG Ex-S which towers over the MG F-91.

The worst GFF that I have is the older ZII kit which doesn't seem to want to stay together and has poor balance.
2old4toys

I just picked up my first GFF too, Mr and Mrs G Gundam 2 set. I haven't opened the box yey, but LORD, the lady Gundam looks fantastic! After reading the above complaints re GFF, I do wonder how screwed up the articulation will be. Aww... what the heck... It looks fabulous all the same! (It simply can not be any worse than my limbs-pop-off-an-awful-lot ver1 MSIA RX-78-2)
~~~~~~~~~~~http://youtube.com/2old4toys ~~~~~~~~~~~
Shea

Well what a convenience, I was hesitant to make a thread about GFF's but thankfully this was here.

I was wanting to ask about the Xi / Penelope Gundam GFF's, how are they in terms of posability and durability?

And since someone brought up Robot Damashiis :
Can one "horse around" with the Robot Damashii Seravee Gundam?
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Red Comet90

Shea wrote:I was wanting to ask about the Xi / Penelope Gundam GFF's, how are they in terms of posability and durability?
I don't have this GFF, but I was at a panel recently where the host of the panel told us how he loved the design for it but to make the Xi Gundam was very difficult since many of the pieces fell off if you handed it. From the way he put it its similar to the EX-S Gundam which I barely touch the chest and the chest piece comes flying off.

-- Haman Karn
bluemax151

Just be thankful you didn't pay more than $35 for it. I think I paid a little over $50 for the Full Armor Gundam when it first came out and it is one of the worst offenders in the limited articulation department for the line.

I saw a GM Sniper at SDCC for about $60 and as much as I love the general design the limited articulation and price to a degree made me hesitate. Of course later that day it had already been sold so obviously some people love these things :P
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Agito

Yes, you can "horse" aroudn with Robot Damashii Seravee. Robot Damashii is meant for playing, constant moving of the joints. I'm very pleased at how tightly the joints are and how well it handles the GN Bazooka 2s.

It got a lot of things right where a Seravee toy could have gotten so many things wrong. Get it at Angolz, it's like 36 there with 12 shipping.