Modeling question (Related to sanding)

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Kurando

Modeling question (Related to sanding)

Post by Kurando » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:46 pm

I haven't posted here in a long time..

I was just wondering about the best ways for sanding accordingly to the shape of the part.

For instance, having sandpaper put on something that if soft/rubbery, such as your finger, helps to not flaten out rounded parts as the sandpaper can easly mold in shape accordingly to the part. However using your finger would be a little akward and may not give the most percise grip for sanding IMO. Sandpaper attached to a solid flat material such as a popcicle stick would just flatten out the round parts.

For sanding excess gate plastic that is on the edge of a flat surface (Like this ¬ kind of shape), if you were to use something rubbery and soft, it would just make the sharp edge rounded. Sandpaper attatched to something solid like a popcicle stick could help prevent this, but it's been mixed results for me.

So my point is, What materials are best to attatch sandpaper to for diffrent shaped parts. Or at least for your prefrence, So I csn try them out. Since this sorta stuff is all about finding out by experimenting.

Wedge14

Post by Wedge14 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:06 pm

I use an old eraser with ends worn down to a curve. That way i have the flat parts and the curvy parts. Best of both worlds?
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!

valkyriepilot

Post by valkyriepilot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 pm

me and my friends actually use 3M Sanding sponge (one of my friends has a contact with the 3M local distributor here in the Phils.) and it works wonders on curved surfaces. the abrasive material also lasts a longer time than most sandpapers. :D