Has any Anime made you tear up?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
thehod

Has any Anime made you tear up?

Well I admit the ending of Turn A Gundam made me feel alittle teary-eyed as it was a very powerful ending for me.

I just want to know has there ever been an Anime Mecha related or not, that you got very emotional over.
Destiny_Gundam

Gunbuster. Every single time. Though I've never actually cried, I come damn near close everytime that WELCOME HOME lights up.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
valkyriepilot

Makoto Shinkai's works always have that subtle emotional touches that never fail to bring a little tear to me. and oh, Macross Movie edition, the part where Guld screams just before he rams the YF-21 to the Ghost, it just feels like he's pouring out his everything in those last few moments of his life...
ShadowCell

Grave of the Fireflies left me nicely depressed all day.
SNT1

Since the only anime I've seen in my life are those when Toonami was on an all-time high, and a handful of others (like Gundam shows), nope.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
wonton bob

"3000 Leagues in Search of Mother" or "Marco" when I first saw it when traveling in South America.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Zeonic Glory

Last 2 episodes of Victory. I can never watch the League Militare's kamikaze runs without a tear or two running down the cheeks. I also came close to crying when Kamina died (and even more so when Kittan died).

Edit: Whoops, sorry about that.
Last edited by Zeonic Glory on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Imperial

Zeonic Glory: Spoilers much?

Granted, I've already seen Gurren Lagann, so neither of those are shocking, but what of the unaware? Pretty much everyone else has skirted around the actual revelation (although valkyriepilot also harshes the groove).

On-topic: Cowboy Bebop gets honorable mention. Nothing in the show got any tears from me, but the pervading sense of doom and hopelessness that runs concurrent to all of the Spike-centric episodes make the show hard to watch in hindsight. You see where it's all headed, and after all they've been through, you can't help but wish the crew got the happy endings they've been striving for.

I suppose it's a picture perfect example of whip lash. It's a goofy, quirky space age romp for the greater part of the show. Then it shifts gears into a grim vision of inescapable pasts and dashed dreams. The show builds you up, only to knock you down. I tend to feel depressed whenever I watch the show.
This space for rent
J-Lead

"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Skippy438

Macross Frontier has a few times, not just the sad parts, but there are moments where the use of music has really struck a chord with me (pun not intended). I hated the first ep of that series but it's quickly become one of my all time favorites.
speedstriker

Second to last and last episode of Gundam 0080. As you watch episode 5, dread start to build up as the viewer know what is going to happen in episode 6.

As you watch episode 6 however, even though you know that the ending is not going to be comical, when the climax finally come, you still can't help but shed tears, simply because of the way it was presented. What's more is that just when you thought you had as much as you could take, the epilogue shows Bernie's last words to Al, a final bidding.

This is one of the few Gundam production that is very focused on explore the emotional and personal effects of war on ordinary people and it was very well done. Even now, I still can't ignore the sting of sadness that comes to me every time I see the final battle b/w the Zaku and Alex Gundam.

Last but not least: BERNIE BURGER!!!!
Apache

When Bernie I think I might have gotten a bit misty, but mostly angry until I saw the very end.

And the anime 5cm per second made me really sad for the next couple of days, dont think I cried tho.
Battosai28

While I have never actually cried during an anime series I sure have felt like it at times. Some that have already been mentioned are Gundam 0080, Victory Gundam, Turn A, and Gurren Lagann.

There are a few series that I think deserve special mention:

Chrono Crusade: While I have more complaints about this series than I can count, I believe that the last few episodes were extraordinary. I'm convinced that anyone who felt nothing during the last episode is not human (or really didn't give a damn about the characters)

Robotech: No, I haven't seen Macross. Regardless, that last episode left me speachless. I know in a love triangle someone has to lose, but I was still shocked.

The original Gundam: Movies or anime, pick your poison. In both versions you have what is in my opinion one of the greatest bitter sweet endings in all of anime.

Death Note: I won't spoil the ending for the two people out there who have not seen this series. There are two moments in that series that really did me in. That's all I'm going to say about that
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Areku

I've got to agree with 0080. And 00. And Code Geass. And Macross Frontier. And G, X, SEED, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and too many other animes to name. Hell, I tear up or outright cry at just about anything that might be trying to make me do just that. Oh well, at least I admit it. Not like I ever weep, just some stray tears. But overall, I'd have to most strongly indicate 0080, as I don't readily recall anything else that strikes so many emotional chords. But I'm sure everyone else will cover 0080, so I'll leave that to them. Now, if you'll excuse me... :cry:
Teki

Don't think ever cried but gotten teary eyed in some things. 00 Gundam S1 (Lockon... Howard), Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Laggan, 0080, Gankutsuou, Trigun, EVA, FMA and admitingly got upset over Starscream's "death" in Transformers: Armada (starscream been my favorite transformer long as can remember). Probably more but not off top of my head right now.

Actually... cried in Gundam Seed Destiny, on how they messed up such a good chance on a series/universe that had potential at the time.

(BTW, did the topic title change from mecha anime to just anime)
Areku

Teki wrote:(BTW, did the topic title change from mecha anime to just anime)
Yep.
Teki wrote:Don't think ever cried but gotten teary eyed in some things. 00 Gundam S1 (Lockon... Howard), Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Laggan, 0080, Gankutsuou, Trigun, EVA, FMA and admitingly got upset over Starscream's "death" in Transformers: Armada (starscream been my favorite transformer long as can remember). Probably more but not off top of my head right now.
I don't remember Starscream biting it in Armada, just that he did. Could you refresh my memory? On a side note, I have to point out the tow truck's temporary death. I remember thinking "dang, that's so gruesome that it's actually frightening". Basically, Megatron shot an Autobot with a new BFG that blasted right through him. His chassis was beginning to melt from the residual heat and the room was filling with steam from his molten body, and yet he staggered towards Megatron with an unnatural determination, making a variety of dying sounds as he approached. Even Megatron, who was jubilant over the guns' power until the Autobot got back to his feet, seemed nervous and even afraid of his deathly determination. Without even finishing him off, Megatron retreated. Not surprisingly, that evoked a tear from me. It caught me off guard; it was a far cry from most touching/frightening death, but it was much more than I'd expected from a show that had so clearly been geared towards a younger audience.
Teki

I don't remember Starscream biting it in Armada, just that he did. Could you refresh my memory?
Memory is shaky but: Starscream was actually real nice and really friendly with the girl. If remember he was basically good and like an autobot and he, in an effort to try and save everyone from upcomming attack by unicron (and in moment before giant "dececisive battle" between both sides ) he attacks unicron and is wiped out from the overwhelming power of unicron.
Typezero09

For me it has been and will be Eureka Seven. and I'm not ashamed to proclaim it.

So much drama, both happy and sad tears.
RefBoarding, Like Surfing is a Mile High, High!
Samoo

My first was Gundam Seed Episode 49, when Mu died. It was my first Gundam, a horrible anime, yet still one of my favorites. Mu was, until very recently, my all time favorite anime character. Second was when Lockon died. 'Nuff said. Third was Code Geass episode 14 (I think), when Shirley lost her memories. I stopped watching the show because of that. Fourth was episode 8 of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. To me, that death was far more important and powerful than the one later on, of Kittan. Kamina then became my all time favorite anime character.
I didn't actually really care when Michel died.
Sandrock

Bar the general depression felt at the end of any good series? A good death is always good but only if its a character you care about.

Starscreams armada death is great, its only his passing that unites the armies and thank god they dod not ressurect him. (I don't count energon, it was an incoherent cgi nightmare!)

Initially Mu's death in seed but his eventual ressurection and countless flash backs ruined it.

Voices of a Distant Star...

Wolfwoods death in Trigun

altough not technically anime:
The deaths in Beast wars (Best Tf ever bar the following )
Optimus Prime's death....

I've made myself feel sad now...........