Gundam Unicorn

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Eyeless

Gundam Unicorn

I never read the books but I heard that sometime after Gundam 00 its going to become an OVA in japan and dubbed in english.Any word on the truth behind that?
J-Lead

Re: Gundam Unicorn

None whatsoever. In fact, that sounds like a Gundam fan's wet dream turned rumor than anything else. As it stands, Unicorn is just a novel, and if we get official word on any other adaptation, you can be damn sure this board will be all over it.
Last edited by J-Lead on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Eyeless

Hmm i dont know my source is credible but I suppose we won't know until the 00 series ends.
ORegan

what is this source you speak of? If it's the man you lives in your mouth, don't listen to him. He's crazy. The man that's in your fingernail is much more productive, and isn't an alcoholic.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Deacon Blues

Oh God, hide this thread before codename:v pops in to spew his rhetoric against Gundam Unicorn. There are no plans to animate this novel at the time, however, Fukui did state that he'd like to see this "animated" for the thirtieth anniversary series, but that's probably a snowball's chance in hell... lol.
ORegan

Deacon Blues wrote:codename:v
Don't worry, he was apparently banned, whoever the hell he is
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Teki

If remember correctly rumors started when was announced that Bandai wanted to do something special for the 30th Year anniversary of Gundam. Think there was reference to a new animation but that is all i can remember off hand. I would say check archives at places like Gunota and all for more.
J-Lead

Deacon Blues wrote:Oh God, hide this thread before codename:v pops in to spew his rhetoric against Gundam Unicorn.
He was much more prone to spew rhetoric about Robotech and frankens than Unicorn, but all the better, I don't think anyone particularly enjoyed his antics. He still wanders around /m/, however. If you miss him, all you need to do is start a Robotech thread over there. You'll know it when he shows up. :)

On a Unicorn related note, it appears the only design from Unicorn to get a model kit was the Gundam Unicorn itself, which is rather staggering for a Universal Century story, especially one chock full of stunning new mecha designs. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Gundam Unicorn did eventually make it to animated status, but I wouldn't get my hopes up either. All I can say is we'll have a much clearer outlook on the subject come 2009.
toysdream

J-Lead wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:Oh God, hide this thread before codename:v pops in to spew his rhetoric against Gundam Unicorn.
He was much more prone to spew rhetoric about Robotech and frankens than Unicorn, but all the better, I don't think anyone particularly enjoyed his antics. He still wanders around /m/, however. If you miss him, all you need to do is start a Robotech thread over there. You'll know it when he shows up. :)
Weirdly, that guy seems to pop up regularly in the comments on the SRW Hotnews site, where he seems to be deliberately trying to convince the rest of the world that English-speaking fans are illiterate morons obsessed with buggery. Ah well.

Anyways, more Unicorn merchandise would be nice. It looks like the Unicorn itself will be showing up in the next Gundam Collection DX set, along with a bunch of other popular side story Gundams. Of the five announced figures in the set - the Unicorn, the Shin Musha, the Avalanche Exia, the Hi-Nu, and the TR-6 Woundwort from Advance of Zeta - all but the last one have recently been released as 1/100 scale kits. I'd love to see more product like this from both Unicorn and Advance of Zeta, which are both cases where I like the mecha more than the story. :-)

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

toysdream wrote:Weirdly, that guy seems to pop up regularly in the comments on the SRW Hotnews site, where he seems to be deliberately trying to convince the rest of the world that English-speaking fans are illiterate morons obsessed with buggery. Ah well.
Heh, I've corrected him on quite a few instances in regards to Unicorn on that website. On the note of Unicorn, I guess I should unveil the summaries (again!) shortly :D
sbester

As much as I would love for some Unicorn animation, I doubt it will happen in time for the 30th anniversary. In fact, an OVA would be the most we could look forward to as 2009 is fast approaching and Gundam 00 has yet to even begin its second half.
I really wish Tomino would return to the series as I don't think a full 50 episode series set in the UC would be possible without his consent and direction.
Kenji

toysdream wrote:I'd love to see more product like this from both Unicorn and Advance of Zeta, which are both cases where I like the mecha more than the story.
Indeed, especially since I'm very interested in the TR-6, the NZ-666, and the MSN-06S, among others.

Though, since you bring it up, was there something you found particularly unsatisfactory about the Unicorn storyline (if you've read it)?

As for Tomino directing Gundam Unicorn, I think we can forget that, though I won't deny that it would be very interesting to see. I'm also not so sure that we'll ever see a full-length UC TV series, since the last one was well over a decade ago and 00 is doing quite well.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
J-Lead

sbester wrote:I really wish Tomino would return to the series as I don't think a full 50 episode series set in the UC would be possible without his consent and direction.
Oh, it's very possible. The only thing they have to do is say "make it happen" and the writing staff will come up with something. After all, post-Victory is always available. The question is, do they see enough potential in it to invest in UC animation once again?
Deacon Blues

Uh, yeah I don't see Tomino coming back to helm Gundam anytime in the near future. Lest I recall, he doesn't really acknowledge much outside of his own works.
Oruma

ya know, the delta plus is very much like Hyaku Shiki + Zplus
and the Jesta is the successor to Jegan...
now all we have to do is convince Bandai to remod Zplus, and give us Jegan so that they can remold it into jesta... :roll: :P
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
J-Lead

They don't need Tomino. At this point, they can make another 50 episode UC series without him. They don't even need so much as his consent, as mentioned before. After all, the franchise belongs to Sunrise/Bandai, not Tomino, and they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

I mean, he might be offered a advisory position, but they don't technically need him to make another full-length Universal Century series. They could always hire someone else to do it.
Isamu Alva Dyson

J-Lead wrote:They don't need Tomino. At this point, they can make another 50 episode UC series without him. They don't even need so much as his consent, as mentioned before. After all, the franchise belongs to Sunrise/Bandai, not Tomino, and they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

I mean, he might be offered a advisory position, but they don't technically need him to make another full-length Universal Century series. They could always hire someone else to do it.
But is there a sense (I don't know who might be able to answer this, but someone may) that the investment in another UC series would be financially viable? I know that OYW merchandise continues to be THE biggest seller for Bandai as far as Gundam goes, but I have less of a handle on how the rest of the UC fares. It seems as though, at least as far as SEED and 00 go, there may be more of a movement to create more immersive (and better-selling) AUs.

I almost had the feeling that the main arc of the Universal Century had essentially been told and that future UC products would augment rather than form a core part of the central story. Given the audience and cache that the UC already has, it might simply be more cost-effective to produce a manga or novel series and drive merchandise sales that way, whereas new non-UC Gundam stories really do require a wider introduction to build a potential sales base.

Also, I have little familiarity with Unicorn beyond what appears on this site. It seems, however, as though it might be unsuited to series conversion, given that despite the impressive designs and the sort of sweeping "FOUNDATION OF THE UNIVERSAL CENTURY" storyline, there are no carryover characters, which given its place in the UC timeline seems to mark it as a side-story. Perhaps an OVA or a shorter series more in line with 0083 would be possible.
"You're...alive?"

"Was there ever any doubt?"
Wingnut

Isamu Alva Dyson wrote:Perhaps an OVA or a shorter series more in line with 0083 would be possible.
An MS IGLOO OVA from the Federation POV is currently being worked on. Also I doubt that there would be and full scale UC series until 00 is well over and done with.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Neo-Era

Isamu Alva Dyson wrote: But is there a sense (I don't know who might be able to answer this, but someone may) that the investment in another UC series would be financially viable? I know that OYW merchandise continues to be THE biggest seller for Bandai as far as Gundam goes, but I have less of a handle on how the rest of the UC fares. It seems as though, at least as far as SEED and 00 go, there may be more of a movement to create more immersive (and better-selling) AUs.
I think the first century UC is financially viable. The stuff after that, not so much. OYW merchandise is omnipresent. The Zeta movies sold well on DVD, with each one breaking the 100,000 copies mark (something that can't be said for most anime DVDs in Japan). ZZ's always been the black sheep of the old Tomino quadrilogy, which is reflected in the lack of merchandise for it compared to MSG, Z, and CCA. But other than that, I don't think they'd take a hit if they made another UC TV show in that period.

They'd probably lose some younger viewers (I think Bandai prefers to aim for them with their Gundam TV anime) and most of the female fanbase if they don't drop in some bishounen but with the DVDs, plamodels & figures, and videogame sales (UC based games don't sell any worse generally than AU ones), I can't think that it'd be really risky to make another UC TV series.

Unless if were set some time after Char's Counterattack, like F91 or V. Those have just never had much of a fanbase. Crossbone Gundam seems like the most popular part of that era and that's not even an anime.
Gunota Headlines: Daily Gundam newsblog
The New Adventures Of Tomino-sama: Not-so daily Gundam parody webcomic
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I think that if they do another UC series it should be a direct sequel to F91 that ends when the Crossbone Vanguard war is over

I mean why add more stories to the UC timeline when we have a unfinished story to be told

The series could start with Seabook and the rest of his main character crew repairing the F91 (which was damaged with the battle with Iron Mask) right after the movies conclusion and they can end the series in one big epic battle but they should have the ending conect with the manga of Crossbone Gundam
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007