SEED Dub?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
mcred23

Destiny_Gundam wrote:That's because it was two totally different people. I certainly don't falt the english dubbing community for this practise though. They do it in japan as well (ex Macross 7 and Macross Frontier).
I figured as much, but the fact that they still sounded so completely different was just a constant ":?" moment for me everytime it came up...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
RedBlitz

I think the dub was pretty good, I liked most of the voices without really hating 1 in particular that I have to name. I found some annoying, but that's kinda of the point!! Every anime should at least have few voices that annoy you, even better if that's villain you like to hate!! :twisted:

1 worthy mention though... Mark Oliver as Rau Le Creuset. I cant decide which version I like better for Rau. Yeah.. the english voice is that good. Watch his little speeches about humanity and stuff in episode 45, 48, 49 and 50 of Gundam Seed. That guy gave me goosebumps with his great acting, he makes a crazy REMOVED guy sound even crazier in the dub!!

It's shame they couldn't find a part for him in 00, maybe as Alejandro??? Or Ali if he'd make his voice deeper.

Favorite voices of SEED/DESTINY dub: Rau, Mwu, Andy, Athrun (I think the guy pulled him off)

Slightly annoying: The Inuyasha voices from Shani and Tolle, Cagalli got on my nerve just a little bit as well. It's like she's always screaming or something!

Also am I one of the only on who likes the dub of Gundam Wing more then the sub version?? Maybe that's because I saw the dub way before the sub version when it aired on tv, or is it just the dub that was spot on from the start??
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Antares

Destiny Gundam said:
Antares wrote:
However, I am interested to hear Rau's English dub, if anyone has a quick link. I never thought to watch/listen that, and my GS compilation is currently on loan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRyASa3 ... re=related
*bows in reverence* Thank you very much. I watched the whole ep. In my "expert" opinion, Fllay was okay, Kira was funny (in a sad way: "It's all your fault, you're the one to blame" was done like a thirteen-year-old). I mean, Kira is a kid in SEED but to me it kinda undermines his credibility as a character at this point in the series. Athrun could've emoted a bit more, in turn.

Most of the side-cast was pretty good, although Patrick Zala was give an additional rumble in the voice to show that he really was a bad guy. A bit transparent, that. But Rau was indeed very good. He does credit to Captain Crazymask (copyright to Thundermuffin). Too bad if they use(d) the same VA for Rey, there isn't much to do there.

Destiny Gundam said:
They do it in japan as well (ex Macross 7 and Macross Frontier).
Really, in Macross F too? That's fairly well done, then, since I haven't noticed it that badly.

EDIT:
Wunderbar! Auf Deutsch
Now this was funny. Even with my rusty German I could follow the dialogue, but the VAs were spectacularly not-so-good. :P Sounds like a fan-project.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Kavik Ryx

I've been thinking about what Neo Era said on the first page and it got me thinking. While yes, perhaps only in the original Japanese, it is possible to grasp the series in it's fullest; however, when in the vernacular, in this case English, it can still grasp the characters and story, which is why people always rave about the Bebop dub, because it captured the story so perfectly from a Western standpoint. As for Kira, I always found him to be overtly melodramatic and whatnot, so Matt Hill's (or was it Mark, I don't remember) voice seemed appropriate at least IMO.
Destiny_Gundam

Antares wrote:EDIT:
Wunderbar! Auf Deutsch
Now this was funny. Even with my rusty German I could follow the dialogue, but the VAs were spectacularly not-so-good. :P Sounds like a fan-project.
Ha. I love how they only dubbed the dialouge and kept the laughs, gasps, yelling, and grunts as the original japanese.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Omega

Well, in my opinion, the english dub of Gundam Seed was quite good in comparison to G Gundam, because the story got me thinking about a few things...Though i wish i could see Destiny.
Kenji

Never mind your opinion, which is yours as you claim it, but I don't get your reasoning... the plot has nothing to do with the dub. If you wanna thank SEED for making you think more than G, thank the Japanese writers, not the dub actors.

Oh, and I have to thank Thundermuffin for so wonderfully encapsulating the difference between the Japanese and English Kira Yamatos. Because it's true. :)
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Omega

Sorry...

anyway i've got three reasons for liking the SEED Dub;

1. The amazing job the actors did. (Matt Hill did better as Kira than one other role...)

2. The switching of perspective between Kira and Athrun. ( Not often you find an anime which does that.)

3. The battles were more realistic. (yes, i mean that.)

But that's just my opinion for it.
Nightwing03

Omega wrote: 3. The battles were more realistic. (yes, i mean that.)
I don't get it, the battle scenes also have nothing to do with the dubbing really, unless you're talking about the "emotions" that the pilots display during combat, which you could've been more specific about.
♣♦♠♥
RedBlitz

Nightwing03 wrote:
I don't get it, the battle scenes also have nothing to do with the dubbing really, unless you're talking about the "emotions" that the pilots display during combat, which you could've been more specific about.
Or how people give out their commands and stuff?? Still I dont really understand his statement......
Battosai28

I had no real problems with the dub. However, that is probably because it is the version that I heard first. For me, the pattern seems to be that if I see the dub before the Japanses version, I can't be prejudice against it, thus making it more enjoyable.
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
Omega

Nightwing03 wrote:
You're exactly right, Nightwing.
Albireo_818

General consensus is that Rau was freaking awesome i guess. His final speech truly was done in a frightening way.

I also think Andy's voice was cast very good. Not very often you can hear someone say "It tastes great with yoghurt sauce" and still seem cool.
:lol:

Mwu was a little above average, as was Murdock. Anyothers deserving mention have escaped me.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
RedBlitz

Yes english Rau pretty much stole the show in the final 6-7 episodes, his long rants about humanity and why it deserved to be destroyed were very, very well acted. I got chills out of it!
Doven

I thought the Dub was pretty good, I just hated Shinn's VA, in the orignal they guy that did the voice for one of the villian's in FFVII Advent Children, I was hopeing they would get the save VA for that characters dub for Shinn but they didnt.
If knowing is half the battle then Im going in unarmed.
Destiny_Gundam

SSGokuJr wrote:I thought the Dub was pretty good, I just hated Shinn's VA, in the orignal they guy that did the voice for one of the villian's in FFVII Advent Children, I was hopeing they would get the save VA for that characters dub for Shinn but they didnt.
Um, no. Shinn's VA, Kenichi Suzumura, did Zack in Advent Children.

Poor guy. Thanks to how Shinn was treated in Destiny, the dude gets spat on now. Suzumura is a great voice actor, he doesn't deserve that.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
chainsandguns

Personally I thought the dub was alright, but I think the people who saw it in JP were disappointed with the English dub because they expect the voice actors to deliver their lines in the same way that their JP counterparts did. Which of course, just isn't gonna happen everytime.
PSN: Ed_The_Crimson
Twitter: @EdTheCrimson
Dropping The X