Kira's being stabbed by Impulse: Plot armor or physic?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AU_Gundam MK II

Kira's being stabbed by Impulse: Plot armor or physic?

What really happened? One guy told me that the sword hit the reactor and that the explosion was caused by a blast from the Minerva.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
J-Lead

In-universe, Kira simply shut off the reactor, and that explosion indeed came from the ship...somehow. (I don't remember.)

Out-of-universe, it was a confusing, hastily-wanked plot device to make room for Kira's mid series upgrade.

So essentially, on the subject of whether it's plot armor or physics; the answer is both.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Zero Revenge

Didn't they "explain" the explosion as the water heating up from the Positron Cannon's blast?
Red Zaku

Zero Revenge wrote:Didn't they "explain" the explosion as the water heating up from the Positron Cannon's blast?
That was the explanation for the Archangel. There is no official explanation but Kira should be dead considering the explosion starts from almost directly beneath him even with the reactor shut off. Kira's cockpit seat still should have ended up smashing into the over head sliding hatch.
"I'M THE CRIMSON LIGHTNING DAMNIT!" - Johnny Ridden
Albireo_818

Yeah, that's generally it. Plot hacks and bad physics. By all means, Kira would have been fried and launched into a near-earth orbit from the size of that explosion.
I still don't get why the explosion, if caused by water heating, coincided with the Freedom getting stabbed, though.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
AU_Gundam MK II

So, Freedom did explode? Is it possible for me to see a video with the explosions in question?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
mcred23

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:So, Freedom did explode? Is it possible for me to see a video with the explosions in question?
Sure. Skip to about 2:25 to see the stabbing and subsequent explosion (Which looks like someone dropped a 100-Megaton nuke, so of course Kira survived! :evil: ).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Hyakushiki

I still find it really, really hard to believe that he could survive that especially that he could do so intact! I mean No scars, no missing limbs, even his hair is still in place! If he had come out that maimed or crippled then I might buy it but as it is.... :roll:
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I hate how Kira seems unstopable in the SEED/Destiny series he should have died

Same could be said for Heero Yuy in a couple of Wing episodes
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Kavik Ryx

In defense of Kira, I can't believe I am but in any case, he is not the first Gundam character to cheat death over and over again, and he certainly won't be the last. My issues with the Cosmc Era aside, while it was absurd, it was consistently absurd. Including being seen in flashbacks, just about any character in Gundam SEED can come back to life, so it just happens to be part of the universe. Besides, even if Kira died, it would barely have cut on his screen time.
Brave Fencer Kirby

I find myself mostly wondering what the hell could have caused that explosion in the first place. A nuclear reactor small enough to stuff in a mobile suit certainly couldn't...
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Kavik Ryx

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:I find myself mostly wondering what the hell could have caused that explosion in the first place. A nuclear reactor small enough to stuff in a mobile suit certainly couldn't...
Once again, that is just part of GUNDAM SEED. The bigger question is why do regular Mobile Suits explode; however, that is neither here nor there.
Zero Revenge

Kavik Ryx wrote:In defense of Kira, I can't believe I am but in any case, he is not the first Gundam character to cheat death over and over again, and he certainly won't be the last. My issues with the Cosmc Era aside, while it was absurd, it was consistently absurd. Including being seen in flashbacks, just about any character in Gundam SEED can come back to life, so it just happens to be part of the universe. Besides, even if Kira died, it would barely have cut on his screen time.
Best example: Miguel.

Boy gets cut in half and is left floating in space, and lives.

Dies in the Second Battle of Jochin Due to Gai, but still. Surviving Heliopilios is a feat in itself.

....Actually the better example would be Andy, but Miguel came to mind first.
jam!

Zero Revenge: Are you sure about that?
I thought Miguel was the first person to be killed by Kira. I didn't know he survived Heliopolis. I thought he fought Gai before Heliopolis hence why he didn't have his custom Ginn? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Anyway, many other pilots have survived disaster and overcome their foes in other silly ways. Kira's survival just seemed REALLY ridiculous in comparison.

Maybe because when we watched it, alot of us hoped he HAD died.
Chris
Administrator

jam! wrote:Zero Revenge: Are you sure about that?
I thought Miguel was the first person to be killed by Kira. I didn't know he survived Heliopolis. I thought he fought Gai before Heliopolis hence why he didn't have his custom Ginn? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Anyway, many other pilots have survived disaster and overcome their foes in other silly ways. Kira's survival just seemed REALLY ridiculous in comparison.

Maybe because when we watched it, alot of us hoped he HAD died.
He is correct. Miguel was retconned to have survived. He fought Gai both before and after fighting Kira.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jam!

O I stand corrected then.

In what side story did that happen and what was he piloting?
Sume Gai

these Retcons are getting ridiculous next thing we know Rusty will show up during the movie...
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Mike87

Kavik Ryx wrote:Once again, that is just part of GUNDAM SEED. The bigger question is why do regular Mobile Suits explode; however, that is neither here nor there.
It's the batteries exploding. They hold a lot of energy and it has to go somewhere when they're damaged, so KA-BOOM.

Also interesting side note, judging from how long the fireball lasted I'd say it was in the 500 kiloton range yield wise. The initial flash we see only lasts around 3 seconds, the rest is the shcokwave and pressure pulse.
Zero Revenge

jam! wrote:O I stand corrected then.

In what side story did that happen and what was he piloting?
I want to say Astray B, but in all honesty I'm not too positive. I just remember discussing it on the Zeonic Corps Forums way back.
Derringer

The explosion is from the Positron cannon hitting something (water). However, the Freedom still gets its bottom half destroyed.

Now...Justice's nuclear reactor is shown to be inside its torso. If Freedom's set up is like this also, there wouldn't really be a point for Kira to be holding the emergency shut off switch since the sword would most definitely have anihilated the reactor.