The Official Macross Frontier Thread Track II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
MrMarch

WARNING! SPILLED SPOILERS ON THE FLOOR.

After the whirlwind of episode seven, Macross Frontier agains switches gears into a slower character-driven story in episode eight. Here Alto, Ranka, Mikhail and Luca are involved in their daily routines at Mihoshi Academy, which doesn't stay routine for long when Sheryl shows up and decides to enroll in the pilot training program. Hilarity of a teen idol joining the local academy on Macross Frontier then ensues.

The character interaction is quite entertaining in this episode if not altogether unexpected. It appears Alto has softened somewhat towards Sheryl. Unlike earlier, Alto is much more willing to tolerate her abuse, no doubt coming from their time spent together which has created a better mutual understanding. Sheryl has also appears to cause trouble just because it's exciting but as a young woman, she sometimes gets in over her head. Ranka finds herself often lost for words around Sheryl. It's clear Ranka desires more of Alto's attention, but she's still somewhat shut in and doesn't know how to compete with the often flamboyant Sheryl.

Aside from the high school drama common for such a cast, there are events outside the school yard. Leon takes steps to cover up all VF-27 recordings taken from SMS during the previous battle. The crew of the rescued Dulfim of the Macross Galaxy fleet are being kept under quarantine due to some concern over a V-type virus, the nature of which remains undisclosed. The episode closes with Ranka singing alone at monument park until she encounters Brera Stern, the mysterious VF-27 pilot from last episode. He not-so-subtely introduces himself mirroring Ranka's song on his harmonica. Obviously, Ranka is amazed that someone else knows her song.

The change in pace is somewhat of a let down after episode seven, but even the grand episodes need a proper build to achieve maxiumum effect. Episode eight remains an entertaining character story with plenty of laughs and just enough of the larger story to carry the show forward.

Episode 9 is next. Deculture!
Strike Zero

And now, we interrupt your regularly scheduled program to bring you this very important announcement.

I will say that they'd better release that song on the soundtrack, or there will be HELL to pay.

EDIT: Even MOAR important announcement! (Spoilers, kinda)
Last edited by Strike Zero on Thu May 29, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

Spoilers for ep 9. Read at own risk.

As was apparent from the preview, it's a Mikhael centered ep. Grace, of all people, is the one who brings up Mkhael's sister Jessica. She was a NUN sniper who was courtmarshalled (or something) after a friendly fire incident (and was killed afterwards). Mikhael is uneasy and accidentally damages Atlo's VF-25 while he was grappling with a Vajra. Afterwards Mikhael and Alto trade blows. Mikhael is a jerk to Klan, who then tells Alto about Mikhael's past (Klan turns out to be his childhood friend).

Meanwhile, Ranka hands out tissues to promote herself. Brera pops up infront of her briefly, only to suddenly vanish. Bobby turns out to be a famous makeup artist, who Elmo is happy to work with. It's mentioned that Ranka's website keeps getting hacked. This is obviously some more rock-blocking on Leon's part. Speaking of, the Frontier brass have a meeting about the Vajra, with Grace listening in. I have to wonder if Grace is doing this of her own interest, or if she's working for some one else.

Apparently Vajra hatch from eggs. While searching for a Vajra nest, Klan runs afoul of the VF-27. Alto and Mikhael join the party, and a pretty awesome dogfight ensues. Looks like Brera's got a sadistic side to him. It's a nice change to hear Souichirou Hoshi act like that. Brera doesn't carry over any Jesus plot armor either, as the VF-27 actually takes conciderable damage (from Klan, Alto and Mikhael). Alto grapples Brera and Mikhael has to make a tricky shot again (but this time Klan is also in the way). With some words from Alto, Mikhael manages to make the shot, causing Brera to retreat (but not before he destroys the Vajra nest).

Great episode. I loved the fight against the VF-27. Mikhael also grows so he's no longer 'just a Max clone.'

Next ep: Macross Zero, the movie.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
yazi88

Best part was Mikail getting bitch slapped by Macronized Klan in his valkyrie.
Aegis

What's a series without some sort of 'angsty past' episode. :P

I never really considered Mikhail much of a 'Max clone' aside from a guy in glasses, a blue VF-25, and some sort of above average skill (in marksmanship anyways), though this episode makes it that much more apparent, with the angsty past with his sister as well as a cute shot of a much younger Klan and Mikhail together. :) That, and the slap to the Messiah's face was kinda fun, if not for the melancholy scene in itself. :P

I'm also impressed with the action scenes, particularly with the VF-27 versus Klan, as well as Alto's own skills in trying to wrestle it down for Mikhail to shoot. Heck, in spite of his recklessness, Alto just impresses me for simply being willing to go down and dirty with an enemy, be it the VF-27, or the red Vajra in the beginning. He doesn't have the 'Jesus' syndrome, but he doesn't come across as green either.

Personally, I think it's a decent episode, although for me, this one is the first one in the series since TV episode 1 that was a bit of a put down, if only because it's more or less another filler. I didn't mind episode 8, since it was simply doped up high on something, thus it was fun. Here, though we get to see some development for Mikhail and a wee bit of Klan by extension, it really felt like it was dumped in there to add something as opposed to moving the plot along. Nothing wrong with fillers, I suppose I was expecting something a little more.

And I swear, Klan's cupsize just got bigger. o.O;
Destiny_Gundam

Aegis wrote:Heck, in spite of his recklessness, Alto just impresses me for simply being willing to go down and dirty with an enemy, be it the VF-27, or the red Vajra in the beginning.
Like I've said before, I love how they're having far more close quarter combat instead of just bullets and missiles (though there's nothing wrong with those).
Aegis

Indeed, the close quarter combat implemented in the series actually works for Macross. It's rough, it's gritty, has none of the flash of, say, Gundam with its beam saber clashes, while also doesn't detract from the high speed, guns and missiles blazing action that the franchise is known for. Been a while since I've seen a good mecha to mecha fistfight since Macross Plus OVA.
Destiny_Gundam

I wonder if we'll see the return of the PIN POINT BARRIER PAAAAAAAANCH!!!
MrMarch

Vajra eggs aboard a New UN Spacy Guantanamo Class Stealth Carrier; yeah, there's nothing fishy about that at all. Nope, not a thing. These aren't the battroids you're looking for. Move along, move along. :)

Maybe that whole scene was just one big red herring, but I still think these Vajra are internal enemies and not some extraterrestrial menace that just popped out of nowhere. There's too many ulterior motives from folks like Leon and Bilrer and factions that appear to have access to Vajra technology, like Brera and his fold capable, super energy gun VF-27 :)

A lot of the down and dirty brawls reminds me of both DYRL? and Macross Plus. I also like Alto and his knife, always swaggering into battle with the big red Vajra. Gotta hand to the kid, he's got guts.
Marcis

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Next ep: Macross Zero, the movie.
Too bad this movie will not translate into real world...
On the other hand - maybe it is some shameless advert from Mr. Kawamori for his next Macross project?
I would love that. Also - noticed in ep. previews when narrator introduces Protoculture, Birdman is shown?

Eggs aboard NUNS Cruiser? This sounds very familiar and fishy 8)
Applying for job at Anaheim
Lans

It's fun on Ep 8 but we still got the ...

Ep 7 mysteries. 8)

I can't help but to think that there are more to Sheryl's Earings. It's not just a memento from her late mother but something more. More with protoculture things in it maybe. I just can't ignore the fact that Alto hears a sing when he was inside the Vajra Ship.

And there's a scene where .. I saw something glowing inside Ranka, probably a necklace or maybe it's her hand, and after that Sheryl's earing began to glow. It's minutes 12 to 13 or so in ep7. Just making me real curious.

And what's with Luca's finding on that Vajra Ship? A fold reactor? He said like, "Impossible a fold reactor!" Well, that ship just defolding right in front of him so there's nothing weird about that ship having a fold reactor. So, what's exactly his finding is? For me, maybe Luca detected VF-27's fold reactor making him, "whoa a valkryire in a Vajra ship!"

That red Valkyrie (vf-27) is shooting Luca's vf-25's rifle and not the cable. I run in slow mo and find the cable is still intact after the blast, while the rifle is gone. Meaning, he's not helping Alto to get out. I don't assume he's evil or bad, he didn't kill Alto he just disabled the rifle. Maybe he know something like "don't shoot inside a Vajra ship or something bad might happen"

The actual shooting, as you can see it's holing the rifle.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc13 ... Clip_5.jpg
A second latter just before the explosion. The cabling is still intact but the rifle was thrown away.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc13 ... Clip_6.jpg

And about this guy. "Mr Bilrer" if my sub was correct.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc13 ... ip_2-1.jpg
It's written on his face that he was somewhat shocked at the arrival of Vajra Ship. I think this mystery guy also on Frontier's side, probably on the same faction as the Red Valkyrie. I'm thinking that way since if he's on the Vajra side, he shouldn't be shocked by the arrival of his own ship.
MrMarch wrote:Vajra eggs aboard a New UN Spacy Guantanamo Class Stealth Carrier; yeah, there's nothing fishy about that at all. Nope, not a thing. These aren't the battroids you're looking for. Move along, move along. :)
Cough..cough... starcraft's zerg.. Cough.. oh mann bad cold.. 8)
Last edited by Lans on Fri May 30, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcis

Leon was'nt suprised by arrival of Vajra battleship though.
He grins and mutters to himself "finally".
He also blocked out any information about Vajra ship and VF-27 and holds Dulfim's crew in quarantine for this very reason. But crew of entire ship is very difficult to handle on information leak matters...
Lans

It seems that the Frontier Government knows about Vajra to some extent, whatever it is. They know that they are dealing with a threat so powerful and menacing making them have to cover up all the story about it since it would make everyone panic. See it this way, "our fleet is being destroyed one by one and currently, the military couldn't do anything about it." For that reason I completely agree to cover up the story about Vajra while building up military strength for the incoming confrontation. That's why the Frontier hired the SMS since they knew the NUNS probably wasn't up to the task.

On a note, the President comments also indicating that he knew about this but wasn't expecting the confrontation with Vajra happening in his own time. About Leon, well... he knows much about Vajra but that doesn't make him bad, probably he got his own agenda. Heck probably he want to become the new president or stuffs, but for me he's yet to be labeled bad guy.
Last edited by Lans on Fri May 30, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
flabortast00

There's a theory floating around that little, green, panty stealing squirrel is actually a Vajra hatchling. When that one egg hatched, it revealed 3 glowing eyes. They never really show what was inside the egg. The green squirrel also has 2 eyes. It always seems to be around Ranka alot. Also they dedn't want tho show adorable cute things get fried bu Brera.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g285/ ... 897384.jpg

Have some Ranka Lee as Mao Nome
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g285/ ... 577342.jpg

Has any of the Vajra tried to actively hurt Ranka?
Destiny_Gundam

Marcis wrote:Also - noticed in ep. previews when narrator introduces Protoculture, Birdman is shown?
Concidering the Bird Human was left behind by the Protoculture to destroy humanity if we didn't turn out well, it's not surprising it would be shown.
Marcis

Maybe they intend to uncover it's mysteries because Macross Zero "forgot" to do it?
Windknight

And there i was assuming the whole Zero thing was a joke by a fan riffing off 7 with the story of minmei (sounded far too similar).

Brera is certainly a nasty piece of work with how he actively picked a fight with Klan (assuming his only task was to actually take out the carrier... have to wait on subs to be sure).

Theres obviously something going on. As I've said before, I'm getting a heavy Alien(s) vibe with Leon and others behavior towards the Vajra (maybe that makes him Burke?)
Take flight, and strike from the heavens
MrMarch

I'm actually getting a deeper plot vibe from this episode regarding the Vajra and my theory that they are internal enemies. It feels as though the Vajra may have even bee created by the Macross Galaxy fleet itself! The facts match up somewhat. The Vajra are bio-mechanical beings and have many of the same technologies (like energy converting armor) as the Valkyries. The Macross Galaxy fleet is known for advance cybernetics, so it seems like a possible connection.

We also have Leon onboard the Macross Frontier who is always trying to misdirect or cover up information about the Vajra. Sure he'll do an autopsy on a dead Vajra, but anything involving Ranka, the VF-27, the Macross Galaxy fleet and so on, he conceals. I'm still not sure what Leon knows; for all I know he's simply being used by Mr. Bilrer. We also have Grace, who is spying on military meetings, tapping military communications, and is simply far too adept at keeping tabs on everyone to be a simple "singing idol manager".

I think there are two possibilities for my theory: a) the Vajra are deliberate creations of the Macross Galaxy fleet and they are going for a coup against the New UN Government or b) the Vajra are an accidentaly creation of the Macross Galaxy fleet that is out of control. Players like Brera, Leon and Mr Bilrer are covering up the Vajra as much as possible, lest everyone becomes aware that the Macross Galaxy cybernetics have gone too far and they risk being deemed illegal by the government.

lans
I don't think Luca was surprised the Vajra ship had a fold generator; he was surprised that it was capable of folding through a Fold Fault (mentioned as a fold travel hazard that prevented space folds). The Vajra appeared right in the middle of a Fold Fault Surface, which isn't supposed to be possible.
flabortast00

Perhaps the Vajra are an attempt to create biotech weapons like the AFOS (Birdman) in Macross Zero? Perhaps the tech used to make Vajra are based on the Birdman itself. The links between Frontier and Zero is growing....
MrMarch

A very good point! That's certainly a possibility.