Plot question about Macross VF-X and other random facts

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
manwiththemachinegun

Plot question about Macross VF-X and other random facts

I'm hoping this falls under the, "The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga" heading of the forum, so here goes. :P

Okay, so this group of Zentradi who swoop in and kidnap the Milky Dolls, are they renegades like in Macross Plus? Or is this an entirely new battle fleet unexposed to protoculture? None of the plot summaries I've read make it clear.

I guess this relates to Macross DYRL and 7 too, but are there really 1,000 to 2,000 more additional fleets the size of Boldoza's still floating around out in the universe? That's just... sick if its true. But I thought DYRL was a 'film version' of the original series, yet I've seen that number of 1,000-2,000 fleets of 4.7 million warships in other time lines as well. So what gives? The only other rogue fleets I've heard of is the one Basra takes on in, "Fleet of the Strongest women".

Hopefully the Vajra and Supervision army obliterated a fair number of those Zent fleets, because I simply can't fathom how the human race could survive that even with Earth's massive defenses. Well, maybe if the UN Spacy brought in David Bowie and a few sun killing reaction warheads. :P
MrMarch

Can't answer the VF-X question since I haven't played the game. If I had to guess, I'd say they were just more Zentradi Army badguys.

Yes, there really are 1,000 to 2,000 more Fulbtzs-Berrentzs Class Flagships commanding 4-5 million ship Zentradi fleets throughout the Milky Way Galaxy. This isn't actually a DYRL? fact, this was mentioned inside the Macross Perfect Memory book in the Fulbtzs-Berrentzs line art page. DYRL simply repeated the information. The Meltrandi fleet in Macross 7 was also quite large, though no where near the size of a main fleet. The bridge crew of the Macross 7 mentioned the Meltrandi fleet outnumbered the Macross 7 fleet 500 to 1. Assuming the Macross 7 fleet is at least 100 ships, that's 50,000 Meltrandi warships. It's big, but not a main fleet.

The real question should be, how happy was the UNG when Chlore and all her Meltrandi fleet joined the UNG :)

Actually, the original SDF Macross series featured a defense against these million+ Zentradi fleets; a often-forgotten piece of technology called the Grand Cannon. Only one of these weapons was used in Space War I and a single firing of that cannon destroyed one-fifth of the Zentradi fleet (almost a million ships). As fortune would have it, there were originally 5 Grand Cannon facilities under construction on Earth. Sadly they were never completed, but if they had been, all five functioning at once could obliterate a Zentradi main fleet without sending a single UNG ship into battle.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that while the UNG remains hopelessly outnumbered by the Zentradi and it's Supervision Army nemesis, neither of those two armies possess Reaction Weapons. The SDF-1 Macross, a single gun destroyer armed with Reaction Warheads, was able to single-handedly destroy Bodolzaa's 1,400 kilometer long Fleet Flagship. If the UNG decided to go all out with reaction weapons, it's likely even a small UNG fleet could obliterate an entire Zentradi force many, many times their own size.
manwiththemachinegun

Wow, that's a freaking lot of ships.

I'm definately nodding in agreement with your points. Is there any information about any Grand Cannon reconstruction on Earth or other worlds? You're right, it seems way to valuable a tech to just abandon.

Remember, I'm still getting deprogrammed from Robotech, so the fact that the UN Spacy has reaction warheads and the Zentradi don't didn't register to me until about five seconds ago. So yeah, that would work very well too along with "deculture' shock tactics.

I still think David Bowie would orders of magnitude more destructive to the Zents than Minmey ever could. :lol:
V2Buster

manwiththemachinegun wrote:I still think David Bowie would orders of magnitude more destructive to the Zents than Minmey ever could. :lol:
A character that looked exactly like Bowie with an eyepatch showed up in Dynamite 7 as a space pirate, and he liked using nukes more than music.

Link
bluemax151

If I'm remembering correctly from when I played the group of Zentradi who kidnap the Milky Dolls are just rebels not a whole fleet/unit. I thought about picking the game up and going through a play through but the controls/graphics are seriously just too bad for me now. The best I can do at this point now is sit through the intro :D
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
MrMarch

manwiththemachinegun
I understand. It can take a bit to unplug. Just watch more Macross and then post questions about it. Soon, you won't be thinking of anything else :)

It is indeed a lot of ships. It may be the largest fleet I've ever heard of in all of science fiction. But even assuming the Zentradi fleet does have 10 billion ships, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the size of the Milky Way galaxy, which is roughly 400 billion stars. And given the massive area of the Milky Way Galaxy (100,000 light years in diameter) it's still really difficult to find the Zentradi.

Unfortunately, there's been no mention of the Grand Cannons since SDF Macross. Actually, several technologies like the Grand Cannons and the Factory Satellite have yet to be mentioned in any Macross sequel. Granted, none of the stories have dealt much with the same subject matter as the original SDF Macross. The action of the sequels has almost always taken place far away from any UN colony world (Macross 7, Macross Frontier) or if it did feature Earth the events were of a smaller scope (Macross Plus).
manwiththemachinegun

Just finished the first game and am halfway through the second. Not fabulous, but still pretty fun. The first game reminds me of Star Fox, and the second Colony Wars.

And it's DEFINITELY a new Zentradi fleet in VF-X1. They have no experience with protoculture and have their own Gorg Bodolzaa Class Mobile Fortress that you get to blow the bejeesus out of. :P
bluemax151

manwiththemachinegun wrote:Not fabulous, but still pretty fun. The first game reminds me of Star Fox.
Looks wise it always reminded me of a really early Saturn game. Get the Macross game for PS2, it's actually good.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010