Haruhi Characters Based on Evangelion?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Nightwing03

Haruhi Characters Based on Evangelion?

I was just rewatching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for like the 3rd time (Don't ask me why) then i realised that the Characters from the S.O.S Brigade have a striking resemblence to the EVA pilots from Evangelion.

Shinji - Kyon
Nagato - Rei
Mikuru - Asuka

Has there ever been any explanation for these character resemblence? Like has Nagaru Tanigawa (The author of the original novels) ever mentioned anything?
♣♦♠♥
Albireo_818

I don't have any foreknowledge of the whole Haruhi Suzumiya thing, but i would doubt it. Characters in anime, especially "mainstream anime", tend to be based around the same conceptual idea for their face construction. Hell, Ash from pokemon lineart looks like Kazuki from Fafner if you look at it sideways!
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Destiny_Gundam

That's really pushing it. Aside from Yuki and Rei sharing the 'silent and emotionless' archetype, there's really no comparison. Kyon isn't a spineless wuss like Shinji and Mikuru is no where near the bitchiness of Asuka, so I have no idea where you thought they were similar.

The Eva pilots themselves each repesents parts of the conciousness: Asuka is the Id, Shinji is the ego and Rei is the super ego. Anyone familiar with Freudian psychology will know that the Id has all the desires, the ego helps the Id fufill those desires, and the super ego keeps the others in check so they don't go overboard. In that sense, Haruhi would be the Id, Itsuki would be the ego and Kyon would be the super ego.

Well, you're not the only one who wants to make a connection anyways.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Strike Zero

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well, you're not the only one who wants to make a connection anyways.
Indeed, he is not.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Kavik Ryx

I think you're making to big a stretch. While it works for Yuki, the other two don't seem to fit. Mikuru especially considering how not yandere she is.
Nightwing03

Actually...i wasn't reffering to their personalities (aside from Yuki and Rei), more to their stirking resemblence to eachother.
♣♦♠♥
Antares

Well all I can say is what Albireo_818 already said, which is that in mainstream anime you have a certain selection of standard anime character templates that get passed around with impudence. Everyone knows the basic formula, so it is only a matter of time when there is some overlap. I recall seeing a .gif that had something along the lines of ten characters within the same format, the major changes being the color of eyes, and the color and shape of hair. Of the entire cast of Haruhi, I'd say that Rei-Yuki is the only connection I would freely make, that has to do as much with the character of the... uh, character, as with the physical form.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Areus

Well I know what character types to put in a show if I want to make something overrated. I will say Mikuru has red hair but is far from the outgoing person Asuka is. I also wanna point out that both animes are good but not the greatness everyone hypes them up to be. In fact It seems that if you want a popular anime in the case of these two shows all you have to do is make the worst ending ever and leave a bunch of questions open for fans to argue over. Also Haruhi "I my opinion" is a bad person. I would be her friend shes like Master Shake in a female annoying anime girl body.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!
Destiny_Gundam

Mikuru's hair is brown, not red (unless I really am that colour blind).

The thing with Haruhi's 'ending' is that there's 9 novels worth of stuff to use. The first season only covered the first book and a few of the short stories. Having read all 9 novels myself, I can assure you that the best is yet to come. Season 2 looks like it'll cover book 4, which is by far my favourite book.

I can't say I dislike Haruhi herself and could probably find myself being friends with her. Yuki is by far the best character though. She's also the author's favourite character too, and it shows. She gets far more development in the novels than any other character. He (the author) was actually concidering changing the title character to Yuki.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Areus

Well looking on google about 50% of the time he hair looks like a orange/red color and the other half of the time it looks brownish. But I don't care about her hair I care about her character which from only seeing the first season and not knowing theres a second season she don't remind me of asuka. i will never read the books but now knowing theres a second season at hand I might give it another chance.
Ikaruga-I'm Not Regret...

弾幕 Baby!