Mospeada and Southern Cross

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Gundamium Alloy

Mospeada and Southern Cross

Macross and Robotech were really good series in my opinion. Actually, Macross was the stronger of the two but Robotech was still good. Now, I'm curious about Mospeada and Southern Cross. Were these two series made into Robotech? Are these two series decent. I've seen both series complete at very inexpensive prices. Are they worth adding to a mech fan's collection? Please tell me your thoughts on these series in terms of the animation quality, story, and characters.
Chris
Administrator

The answer to your first question is yes. Southern Cross was edited to become the Robotech Masters saga, and Mospeada was edited to become the New Generation saga. Of the three series that went into Robotech, Southern Cross was the most extensively changed. The original series isn't even set on Earth, and its story is pretty different from Robotech Masters. Aside from the constant name dropping of Rick Hunter, Mospeada was relatively unchanged for Robotech.

Personally, I really enjoy Mospeada and I think it's a great show. Right Stuf sells the complete sub only collection for like $25, and I think it's a steal at that price and worth picking up. I recently saw the original version of Southern Cross, and while it's pretty good, it's nowhere near as good as Macross or Mospeada. It doesn't help that the show was cut short. At $25, I'd say Southern Cross is probably worth picking up, but Mospeada is a must buy.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
VF5SS

You might also want to check out Super Dimension Century Orguss. It's the follow up show to Macross and features a lot of the same staff and GERWALKs. You can find it at Right Stuf's website. It's kinda expensive though.
Kavik Ryx

Along with VOTOMS, Mospeada is high on my list of anime to go out and get. Though I have watched the MOSPEADA/Cyclone transformation a few times now and I still find it a bit jarring. Otherwise, I just love its opening.
Gundamium Alloy

Kavik Ryx wrote:Along with VOTOMS, Mospeada is high on my list of anime to go out and get. Though I have watched the MOSPEADA/Cyclone transformation a few times now and I still find it a bit jarring. Otherwise, I just love its opening.
What exactly do you mean about the Mospeada/Cyclone transformation? Is it that the animation is poor or that the concept is far fetched?
Kavik Ryx

Gundamium Alloy wrote:
Kavik Ryx wrote:Along with VOTOMS, Mospeada is high on my list of anime to go out and get. Though I have watched the MOSPEADA/Cyclone transformation a few times now and I still find it a bit jarring. Otherwise, I just love its opening.
What exactly do you mean about the Mospeada/Cyclone transformation? Is it that the animation is poor or that the concept is far fetched?
I've seen a couple of scenes of it happening on youtube, but I just can't grasp the concept, so I guess it's because it seems sort of far fetched. I'll admit the the Garland from Megazone 23 had a much more sensible transforming robot bike, granted that was a mech rather than a powered armor.
Recon 5

I dunno. The Garlands were more like two- wheeled Tumblers (the new Batmobile) than motorcycles, to the point where you's wonder how they managed to keep those things hidden. Apart from Word Of God, I don't think they even qualify as motorcycles... At least the Cyclones looked like antique superbikes (in that context).
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
bvzxa23

I had alot of the Southern Cross perfect collection. Man that was 14 years ago, but they were fighting on a planet called Glorie. The film strip in the beginning of robotech was form the introduction before the theme for Southern Cross began.

Mospeada takes place on Mars, or earth, but I never liked Mospeada so my info could be incorrect.

As for Orguss, only in the US dub does Kay mention Rick Hunter in the first episode, but note that none of the three series used to make Robotech are related.

Souther Cross, and Mospeada did not do well on Japanese TV either, but Macross was a big hit, hence the sequels and OVA's.

Orguss was second after Macross came out, then Southern Cross. They share the name Super Dimension, but Mospeada was called Genesis Climber Mospeada....why wasn't Orguss used after Macross?
Also on another note
Gundamium Alloy

Well, I wanted to pick up either Mospeada or some of the Patlabor tv series but am limited on funds. Anyone recommend one of these series over the other? I can only get one right now so which one?
Chris
Administrator

If you're limited in funds, easy choice is Mospeada since you get all 25 episodes for $25 at Right Stuf. Patlabor is also pretty cheap, but it is a much bigger franchise with a 47 ep TV series, 2 OVA series and 3 movies. Patlabor is also an excellent series and well worth owning, but if you're tight on cash, I'd go with Mospeada first and save up for Patlabor later.
Gundamium Alloy

I believe I saw that Mospeada was rated 15+. Is there anything bad in this anime? I don't like anime that is graphic in nature whether it be violence, nudity or language. That's why I was wondering why it is rated 15+. I also am completely against fanservice, so if there is any I will also avoid this and any anime that displays that. If it is graphic in anyway please let me know so I can avoid this anime. Thanks.
Chris
Administrator

Gundamium Alloy wrote:I believe I saw that Mospeada was rated 15+. Is there anything bad in this anime? I don't like anime that is graphic in nature whether it be violence, nudity or language. That's why I was wondering why it is rated 15+. I also am completely against fanservice, so if there is any I will also avoid this and any anime that displays that. If it is graphic in anyway please let me know so I can avoid this anime. Thanks.
I don't mean to knock your personal taste, but having such a strict view, you really limit yourself from a lot of good things. Just because a series has some fanservice, it doesn't make it some moe/T&A explosion. Gundam 00 has some fanservice, so by your own definition do you avoid that? I personally dislike shows that have massive fanservice, but to avoid a show that has ANY at all seems a bit too extreme. That being said, there is some brief nudity in the series, but it's not fanservice. If that means you're not going to watch the series because you dislike that, it's your own loss.
Gundamium Alloy

The Southern Cross/Mospeada set is available for less than $25 during the Best Buy sale. If anyone is interested. Is this worth picking up over the Robotech Protoculture set?
Chris
Administrator

Gundamium Alloy wrote:The Southern Cross/Mospeada set is available for less than $25 during the Best Buy sale. If anyone is interested. Is this worth picking up over the Robotech Protoculture set?
Yes. I don't know why people keep asking this kind of question as if these products were comparable. They're not, especially in the case of Southern Cross. If you want to watch Robotech, watch Robotech. If you want to watch the original versions of these shows, don't watch Robotech. It's really as simple as that.