Fafner - worth looking at?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Vent Noir

Fafner - worth looking at?

Okay, I remember that Melbourne Anime Society screened the first episode of Fafner soon after it came out, and that I HATED it and the episode killed any interest I had in the series. But given the discussion on the Gundamn! podcast, I'm starting to think maybe it might be worth taking a look at.

Any opinions?
Destiny_Gundam

You can read my reviews on the main site for my opinion of it, but in short, it takes a bit to get going and once it does it becomes a great character driven series with some great mecha action. It's definitely worth sticking with.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Vent Noir

I seem to remember that the phrase "Eva ripoff" popping up a lot while watching that first episode (can't remember if it was me thinking it or other people saying it). How strong are the similarities to Evangelion in actual fact?
Recon 5

Lets just say that the mind screw is a lot less substantial than that in EVA.
VentZX

Vent Noir wrote:I seem to remember that the phrase "Eva ripoff" popping up a lot while watching that first episode (can't remember if it was me thinking it or other people saying it). How strong are the similarities to Evangelion in actual fact?
I haven't seen the show, but I'll go ahead and say that's it pointless going in to a show with 'eva rip-off' in mind. especially when you've only seen one episode. Besides, the term 'eva rip-off' gets thrown around far to lightly, as if Eva was the predecessor to all anime. Besides, the only way to really judge if something was a rip-off or not is after you've seen the whole show. My advice is don't go into the show with any pre-conceived notions and you'll be able to better enjoy it, regardless of what show it is.
Last edited by VentZX on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Duel

I HAVE seen the show, and I can tell you that while the first Ep does seem to vaguely come across as Eva-esque, that the series itself is VERY different, and very much worth watching.
Character designs are, unfortunately, by Hisashi Hirai, but after the worthless drivel that was Gundam Seed Destiny, FAFNER is msot definitely worth watching, as it's a great, primarily character-driven series with some pretty sweet fights and some really, REALLY awesome moments, especially later in the series.
Plus, the animation quality is quite high, much higher than GSD's.

I didn't like the first ep either, but I watched the whole series and loved it. So yes, DEFINITELY give it a chance.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kavik Ryx

It took me until about episode six to get into, anyone who's seen the series should know why. But yes, when the series picks up momentum, there is no stopping it. Yes it does have some Eva qualities, such as post apocolyptica, metaphysical invaders, sacrificing children's future; however, it's strong character drama make it worthy of its own merits.
Imperial

Vent Noir wrote:I seem to remember that the phrase "Eva ripoff" popping up a lot while watching that first episode (can't remember if it was me thinking it or other people saying it). How strong are the similarities to Evangelion in actual fact?
I agree with what VentZX has to say on this matter.

As soon as I see someone label a show as an "Eva rip off," they instantly lose all credibility with me. I've found that any show assigned the misnomer of "Eva ripp off" doesn't deserve it, as the term is arbitrarily applied to any show of the mecha genre that goes a bit deeper than "SMASH SHOOT KILL."

As much as I love Eva, it's not as if it has cornered the market on character-driven mecha epics.
This space for rent
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

The only similarity is young kids and mechas, other than that all comparsions stop. If you want a show with interesting characters that actually pilot instead of crying in the cockpit and a well rounded story that makes sense, well Fafner is for you. If you want a story that's a pile of garabage with a main character you to kill then watch Eva.

After episode 6 of Fafner you be hooked.

P.S. My venom is due to reading the Eva mangas. Once you read those, you'll hate the show.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Kavik Ryx

hawk of endymion wrote:
The only similarity is young kids and mechas, other than that all comparsions stop. If you want a show with interesting characters that actually pilot instead of crying in the cockpit and a well rounded story that makes sense, well Fafner is for you. If you want a story that's a pile of garabage with a main character you to kill then watch Eva.

After episode 6 of Fafner you be hooked.

P.S. My venom is due to reading the Eva mangas. Once you read those, you'll hate the show.
Did you mean that the manga pissed you off so much that you just couldn't watch it, or was it much better that the series paled in comparison?

Either way, Fafner is as much like Eva probably about as much as RaXePhan.
ShadowCell

Fafner is totally worth watching. It's got some refreshing changes from past mecha cliches, and don't expect to see fights every episode. It does leave some questions unanswered in the end, but it's totally worth it.
Hyakushiki

Kavik Ryx wrote:

Did you mean that the manga pissed you off so much that you just couldn't watch it, or was it much better that the series paled in comparison?
The latter is true in this case, they spend more time developing the characters and story makes more sense, they even managed to make Shinji more likable.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Kavik Ryx

To be honest, I have actually found the manga to be far superior in some respects as well, but that's beside the point of this thread.
frezik

Dark Duel wrote:Character designs are, unfortunately, by Hisashi Hirai . . .
This is the one thing that's been keeping me from seeing it. I look at the promotional character shots and I can't shake the Gundam Seed feeling from my head. That whole class of character design just makes too many people that look exactly the same.

Maybe I'll give it a go while I wait out Gundam 00's season break.
Recon 5

I don't know why people hate Hirai's designs so much. In my opinion, he's created one of the most beautiful clone armies ever :D.

Back on topic: I wonder why no one has mentioned the mech designs yet. They're pretty unique.
ShadowCell

Because the mech designs, and the mecha in general, are purely secondary in this show.

Don't let Hisashi Hirai's craptacular character designs put you off. After a while the plot manages to cancel out the Hirai cloning madness.
Kavik Ryx

While it is true that battles and mechs take backseat for Fafner, especially with episodes that merely brought up that a battle was fought rather than showing it. But they are some of the most unique designs I've seen. And in closing I'd like to say that by the end, I just didn't want it to be over.
Flame-X

Truly an excellent series! I prefer the prequel special "Right of Left" because it literally made me bawl, but the TV series definitely worth the watch.
Vent Noir

Well, I just found out that my library has copies of the DVDs, so there goes the "I'm not sure it's worth spending money on the boxset" excuse. Guess I'll check it out.
Albireo_818

Man.
Fafner has got to be one of my all-time favourtie anime. Reccomended to me by a friend who (sadly) found out i was watching SEED, this show is (in my opinion) superior in many ways. The Mech, the "villians", the premise (although a bit 'RaXephon" to me), and the depth the designers went into to make the characters feel more realistic.

Definetly nothing like EVA.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein