The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk X

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Arbiter GUNDAM

auriga wrote: Even weirder is the fact that Soma owned all of the Fangs in the previous episode by herself.
What's so surprising about that? She's a super soldier isn't she? It'd be pretty dumb if she was supposed to be such a badass and was no better than grunt pilots. I think that, up to this point, she has been held back by a combination of CB Blind-sides and inferior MS. Now that she has the jinx, she can personify my little nickname for her: Little Miss Master Chief. Lastly, does Soma have the same VA as Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach?

Also, I apologize if this has been brought up before, but do we know why the 0 Gundam was in the Kurdish Republic in 2301 at all?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Recon 5

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Also, I apologize if this has been brought up before, but do we know why the 0 Gundam was in the Kurdish Republic in 2301 at all?
Probably CB putting it through a test run in a conflict zone with little publicity. I don't think there were any pressmen in the vicinity when Setsuna and friends vs. Anfs took place, and I doubt that the later testimony of extremists like those would be accepted at face value. The O stays hidden, and CB gets more info on GN tech. Simple.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Destiny_Gundam

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Lastly, does Soma have the same VA as Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach?
No, she's voiced by a woman named Arisa Ogasawara. She hasn't done much. Notable roles include Lulubell from D.Gray-man and Cheza from Wolf's Rain. She also does Haro in 00.

Rukia is voiced by Fumiko Orikasa. Some of her other roles include Lady in Devil May Cry, Pacifica Casull in Scrapped Princess and Meyrin Hawke in Gundam SEED Destiny.

On another note, I really hope the season's end won't suffer from 'Great Mazinger syndrome.'
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
jam!

Graham: How's the GN Flag coming?

Billy: Its going to take some time.

view picture of an electric plug going into a plug-in.

I mean they could of shown them having the flag piece by piece but really? Its going to take that long to do what looks like plugging a GN Drive into a Flag?
It might have something to do with the transformation system or rather, the development of weapons that utilise the GN-Tau drive like the beam sabers and possibly a new beam rifle. We're not sure if the new "GN-Flag" will be able to use the same weapons as the GN-X especially since we haven't seen any weapons-swapping in this series yet.

Suffice to say tho, it did look like a simple operation but now they've gotta test how it'll work with the Flag frame. I also suspect they will change some aspect of the transformation system since wings may or may not be needed anymore.
auriga

What's so surprising about that?
You misunderstand. What I meant was because Soma was able to do it before all by herself, she could've done it again. Or at the very least, that formation wouldn't be needed in the first place.
Recon 5

jam! wrote:
Graham: How's the GN Flag coming?

Billy: Its going to take some time.

view picture of an electric plug going into a plug-in.

I mean they could of shown them having the flag piece by piece but really? Its going to take that long to do what looks like plugging a GN Drive into a Flag?
It might have something to do with the transformation system or rather, the development of weapons that utilise the GN-Tau drive like the beam sabers and possibly a new beam rifle. We're not sure if the new "GN-Flag" will be able to use the same weapons as the GN-X especially since we haven't seen any weapons-swapping in this series yet.

Suffice to say tho, it did look like a simple operation but now they've gotta test how it'll work with the Flag frame. I also suspect they will change some aspect of the transformation system since wings may or may not be needed anymore.
If this line of discussion is to continue it must be moved to the mecha thread.

About Soma, well, why don't we just assume that Michael somehow learned from the mistakes that sacrificed all his remote guns to one enemy? People do get better.

jam!

If I were like that, I wouldn't be a Gundam fan, because practically every single series is like that from square one. It's the how in the matter that sets them apart, whether be it superior skill and/or creativity (as displayed by Kamille Biden, Judau Ashita, Uso Ebbing, Heero Yuy, Trowa Barton, Wufei Chang and Shinn Asuka), initially superior technology with skills coming later (Amuro Ray, Duo Maxwell, Quatre Rababa Winner, Loran Cercheck and Kira Yamato) or in the case of 00 a seemingly eternal supply of deus ex machina.
I REALLY wish people would think of Gundam 00 as its own series and not compare to others but since it keeps coming up, I have to ask if you guys think it's a fair comparison to say that the Gundam Meisters are depending on technological superiority, trump cards and deus ex machinas to win the day especially when compared to the exploits of Gundam pilots in other series?

If I remember correctly, we've seen that the Gundams are not the end-all be-all with the Exia being pinned down in mid-air as early as Episode 1 by simple Hellions. We've also seen that Tierens have interesting bombardment capabilities to which the Gundams' only defence is nigh-impenetrable GN armour. Alongwith some of the other gadgets that the Big 3 have revealed in their capture-attacks I'm reluctant to outright claim that the Gundam Meisters had superior technology besides the GN drive and GN armour. Afterall, we've got linear rifles from the Union that could offbalance even the Gundams (when the long range cannon from the Tieren didn't seem to but then Exia was mid-air when it was hit by the Flag); supersonic (?) flight that the Gundams don't seem to be able to keep up with; plasma blades which are able to effectively parry the GN blades and MS like the Enact and the Flag are capable of manuevrability like the Gundams with some tuning up.
The only special weapons the Gundams had were the GN cannons really and the reason they were special was since the Big 3 didn't have the defence against such weapons.

That said, I'll also say that unlike other Gundam pilots from other Gundam pilots, these Gundam Meisters are faced with carefully planned out military strategies on a huge scale and are almost always doing well until being hopelessly overwhelmed and then "relying on a deus-ex-machina".
To be fair, we've never seen the enemy make such coordinated attacks as this on Gundams before and especially in the battle on the desert, any claims to technological superiority were diminished since the tactics reduced that advantage the Meisters may have had.
It could also be said that the Gundam Meisters purposefully withheld the Deus-ex-machinas. Tiera wanted to hide the Nadleeh, Dynames wasn't to reveal its longrange bombardment cannon, Kyrios wasn't to use its shield yet either.
When playing RPGs and even playing cards, some of us know to hold your bluffs and keep the trump cards ready just in case and call it strategy so doesn't the same apply here?

Hm...I just don't think that if we must make the comparison that the Gundam Meisters should be seen as incompetent especially given how well and how quickly they adapted to combat against the GN-Xs. Did you notice that despite being outnumbered and usually working in pairs that the Meisters didn't take any critical damage and also worked in unison with unusual pairings: Allelujah & Lock on (that is until Lockon thought his over-sheild could block a GN beam saber).

What do you guys really think?
Recon 5

Actually, having the pilots escaping only by the skin of their deus ex machinas makes them a bit more human than a certain Mr. Yamato.

However, it must be noted that they seemed to be inexperienced in MS combat when they first debuted, regardless of what other wars Lockon, Setsuna and maybe Allelujah fought in prior to joining CB. With this in mind, they're actually learning pretty quickly, and the learning process itself is one of the humanizing factors for them. They aren't overnight Aces.

SNT1

Long story short---the so-called fans will keep finding little things in 00 and bitch about it. Technological superiority is alot more believable than Newtype powers, SEED mode, a combination of both ( :roll: ), power of love/will, etc... Plus, for 18 episodes the already good superpower aces had to fight uphill most of the time, so their skill and experience would increase at a faster rate. So in the end, it's not that the Meisters are bad pilots, but the nonmeisters are just a bit better (maybe, Setsuna had flashes of skill even pre-Trans-am that would make me put him up there)

I wouldn't single out Kira, there are alot worse examples.

In the end, still Deus-Ex Machina, but not the worst one we've seen.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
jam!

I think that's another point that's being overlooked by many fans.

This seems to be the first time for the Gundam Meisters and Throne Siblings to be in actual MS-to-MS combat whereas other pilots like Sergei, Soma, Graham and Ali are all old-hands at this.
That, and the strategies I've mentioned actually give the Big 3 an advantage over the Gundams. An advantage that they seemed to realise from very early and have capitalised on time and time again.
aberrance

Recon 5 wrote:
aberrance wrote:There's a difference between an encoded message (what Aeolia sent) and a manual override (what Livonze did).
Thats not going to stop him from trying to reverse- engineer whatever it was that cut the Gundams off. However, it remains to be seen if he has a good enough motivation for trying to regain control of the Gundams, especially since the remaining GN- X units are still powerful and numerous enough to keep the Gundams in line.
I think that you kinda missed the point....

The original OS on the Gundams was reliant on info that veda fed to them. They were networked and veda more or less streamed information to the Gundams. That network is gone, finito. The Gundams now have a stand alone operating system. Livonze was only able to do something because he controlled a piece that made the Gundams tick - but that scenario is gone now. Plus, it would just be too anti-climatic from a writers standpoint to reuse it.
Zero Revenge

Destiny_Gundam wrote:On another note, I really hope the season's end won't suffer from 'Great Mazinger syndrome.'
What is this GM Syndrome?
Destiny_Gundam

Having Deus Ex Machina and plot armor/plot hax is just par for the course. There's no use complaining about it.
What is this GM Syndrome?
At the end of the original Mazinger Z anime, the Mazinger Z gets totalled but low and behold, Great Mazinger swoops in to save the day. The show then becomes Great Mazinger with Tetsuya as the main character. Not only is Tetsuya a ZOINKS with a capital Z, but he effectively stole the show from Kouji.

So hopefully even if we do get a new main cast for season 2, we'll first meet them in season two instead of them showing up right at the end of season 1.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
wing zero alpha

*sigh* Why do people assume that I'm bashing the whole series troll style whenever I point out actual facts that don't go with the common good? I'll probably regret this, but here goes.
jam! wrote:I REALLY wish people would think of Gundam 00 as its own series and not compare to others but since it keeps coming up, I have to ask if you guys think it's a fair comparison to say that the Gundam Meisters are depending on technological superiority, trump cards and deus ex machinas to win the day especially when compared to the exploits of Gundam pilots in other series?
That's funny jam!, because I don't remember you (or many other people for that matter) saying that about SEED or SEED Destiny when they aired. In fact, I recall you did a fair amount of comparing to past Gundam series, such as your so-called "character analysis" between Amuro Ray and Kira Yamato, so when did you decide to turnaround (which I'm coming to expect from you more as time goes by)?
If I remember correctly, we've seen that the Gundams are not the end-all be-all with the Exia being pinned down in mid-air as early as Episode 1 by simple Hellions.
The Exia was never pinned down in that fight; just because Setsuna didn't go all out and slaughter the Hellions en masse doesn't mean that he was under pressure. As well, none of the Hellions' weapons were able to so much as dent the Exia, so even without Lockon's support from ground level (which did help, but wasn't necessary) Setsuna wouldn't have had problems killing them, if eventually.
We've also seen that Tierens have interesting bombardment capabilities to which the Gundams' only defence is nigh-impenetrable GN armour. Alongwith some of the other gadgets that the Big 3 have revealed in their capture-attacks I'm reluctant to outright claim that the Gundam Meisters had superior technology besides the GN drive and GN armour.
You mean stuff like beam weaponry, automatic flight capability, superior speed and mobility, plus all the nifty little points like the Dynames' ability to snipe targets at far higher altitudes from ground level and the Virtue's ability to fire more buster shots than the Wing Zero could hope to manage isn't superior technology? Also, the Gundams seem to be able to dodge the Tieren's smoothbore guns pretty well, as illustrated by Setsuna and others on more than one occasion, so that throws the bombardment capabilities out the window. Hell, during the battle in Sri Lanka, we see the Exia pulling virtual martial arts maneuvers when evading the much slower Tierens; you can't say that isn't superior technology when the machine can move with the same finesse and fluidity as a human being.
Afterall, we've got linear rifles from the Union that could offbalance even the Gundams (when the long range cannon from the Tieren didn't seem to but then Exia was mid-air when it was hit by the Flag); supersonic (?) flight that the Gundams don't seem to be able to keep up with; plasma blades which are able to effectively parry the GN blades and MS like the Enact and the Flag are capable of manuevrability like the Gundams with some tuning up.
The experimental linear rifles throw them off balance but they don't leave a scratch, and without damaging capability that makes them useless weapons. Doesn't help that it was also stated that the particular shot you're referring to took a lot of power to fire and couldn't be done rapidly (see 00F chapter 2). Not sure on the supersonic flight bit, but at least the Kyrios has been shown to be able to break the sound barrier (as shown during the first Desert Arc episode). And then you have the plasma blades which to this point we've seen parry GN weapons, but what we haven't seen is them cutting through the Gundams' armor, so for all we know they could be useless as the linear rifles. As for the Enact and Flag, they're maneuverable, but we also haven't seen them perform the same break neck stunt work that the Gundams do regularly, aside from Graham's Overflag (and we know how much of a strain that puts on him even when he's a trained aviator). All in all, technological superiority definitely goes to the Gundams, as usual for Gundam series.
The only special weapons the Gundams had were the GN cannons really and the reason they were special was since the Big 3 didn't have the defence against such weapons.
Beam weapons are beam weapons no matter the universe, as are their advantages over the competition.
That said, I'll also say that unlike other Gundam pilots from other Gundam pilots, these Gundam Meisters are faced with carefully planned out military strategies on a huge scale and are almost always doing well until being hopelessly overwhelmed and then "relying on a deus-ex-machina".
So basically the attacks on the White Base, the massive offensives seen in Gundam Wing (you know, when entire army groups were deployed against even just one or two Gundams at a time like in this series?) and things like Operation Angel Down and all the EA/Orb offensives against the Minerva weren't carefully planned out military strategies on a huge scale?
To be fair, we've never seen the enemy make such coordinated attacks as this on Gundams before and especially in the battle on the desert, any claims to technological superiority were diminished since the tactics reduced that advantage the Meisters may have had.
That one I'll agree with, since (as I suspected they would from the beginning) the Big Three played on the fact that the Meisters were human and were vulnerable to exhaustion and combat fatigue.
It could also be said that the Gundam Meisters purposefully withheld the Deus-ex-machinas. Tiera wanted to hide the Nadleeh, Dynames wasn't to reveal its longrange bombardment cannon, Kyrios wasn't to use its shield yet either.
Doesn't matter, fact is they brought them out whenever the cards were down and it was mostly (if not only) by the shock and revelation of these new gimmicks that they were able to overcome their opposition. Seriously, you're not going to convince me that without the Nadleeh or Hallelujah, Tiera and Allelujah would have been able to avoid being captured. As well, you're not going to convince me that without the Thrones the Gundams would be able to avoid capture again (a point that was made several times) or destruction without the GN Arms or Trans Am.
When playing RPGs and even playing cards, some of us know to hold your bluffs and keep the trump cards ready just in case and call it strategy so doesn't the same apply here?
And in a storyline, such a strategy is called a deus ex machina because it's an event or feature that was never alluded to before or in some cases not even known about, and when it happens it comes across with the suddeness and effect as an act from God.
Hm...I just don't think that if we must make the comparison that the Gundam Meisters should be seen as incompetent especially given how well and how quickly they adapted to combat against the GN-Xs. Did you notice that despite being outnumbered and usually working in pairs that the Meisters didn't take any critical damage and also worked in unison with unusual pairings: Allelujah & Lock on (that is until Lockon thought his over-sheild could block a GN beam saber).
You'll also notice that aside from Setsuna's lucky shot, Lockon taking out Patrick's shield arm, Tiera's initial buster blast that took the arms off two GN-Xs and the GN Arms appearence that they were unable to any particular damage to the GN-Xs themselves. Granted the Gundams did fairly well holding out toward the beginning, but you could see that they were fighting a losing battle and that if not for the GN Arms sudden appearence they would have been defeated. Unless you think that Setsuna and Allelujah alone could have been able to turn the battle fully around against 19 GN powered MS that were able to match the Gundams performance down to a T (no pun intended) without any additional support (since the two Gundams designed for that role were incapacitated).
Last edited by wing zero alpha on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strike Zero

wing zero alpha wrote:And in a storyline, such a strategy is called a deus ex machina because it's an event or feature that was never alluded to before or in some cases not even known about, and when it happens it comes across like an act from God.
I must point out that if that's true, the GN Arms can hardly be considered a "Deus Ex Machina". They made several references to it in the episodes before it appeared, as well as making a point to show Lasse going out to retrieve it because they knew they would need it.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
wing zero alpha

Strike Zero wrote:I must point out that if that's true, the GN Arms can hardly be considered a "Deus Ex Machina". They made several references to it in the episodes before it appeared, as well as making a point to show Lasse going out to retrieve it because they knew they would need it.
It's a deus ex machina because he showed up just as the Gundams were on the losing end and effectively turned the entire battle around with his surprise attack, although I imagine if the GN-Xs had pushed their offensive onward they would have been able to destroy it along with the two remaining Gundams and the Ptoly.
jam!

I wasn't singling you out. Some were saying it and I do think it's unfounded.

To your questions though:

1. I can't remember the occassion for the character analysis. Did I start that thread or was it a Kira thread? Eitherways, I'm of this opinion simply because it allows one to enjoy the show more and......it's one of the rules of the forum. *gasp* (or at least Chris keeps saying so)

2. Though we've seen Exia rush after an escaping Realdo and cut it down, I think the other escaped and in the first eps. Exia was surrounded by several and was only cutting them down while not shielding. I think that shows that Setsuna put himself in a position not too favourable for Exia such that even his aerial mobility only allowed him to dodge mostly. Even Lockon and Haro commented that he put himself in a tight spot.

3. The GN drive allows the GN cannons and I did mention that. I was referring to the shots from the long-range Tierens which IIRC were never really dodged, just blocked. Those Tierens were able to force the Gundams into a defensive position when used strategically.
The Exia did do some martial arts move but so did the Enact when Ali was piloting it.

4. Again, besides Graham, Ali has done far more fanciful stunts in the Enact. Who knows why Ali was able to do it and not Graham though...

5. Not in this universe since we've seen the Gundams and GN-Xs take shots from GN rifles and not explode or show much damage. Re: Virtue getting hit by GN-X rifles and Dynames hitting a GN-X square in the chest.

6. They weren't on the same scale with the White Base since they were more group attacks and not entire fleets (I think) and certainly not as well-planned. The attack strategies in Gundam Wing were sometimes sad since it was simply throw everything we have at them. They certainly weren't as strategically or analytically sound especially since the Big 3 almost succeeded each time.

7. I'm saying we can't call them incompetent for having trump cards. I'm not discounting that those were trump cards. Only an idiot would declare war on the world and show all his cards immediately. Save some for a rainy day.

8. These weren't "acts of God" since they'd all been alluded to before. The Nadleeh is the mysterious GN-04; Hallelujah was who Allelujah was talking to towards the end of episode 1; GN-Arms was mentioned episodes prior to its appearance; Virtue's shield and Dyname's mega sniper cannon were simply hidden accessories. I'd really only give the deus-ex machina status to the Trans-Am since that really did come from nowhere.

9. All Setsuna and Allelujah had to do was keep killing them. Afterall, if the GN Arms had appeared and hadn't taken out one of them, the GN-Xs wouldn't have retreated.
Arsarcana

Since there's been some speculation as to Nena's fate, if the spoilers are accurate then Setsuna's probably not taking her with him. While this episode has made me reconsider the odds of her surviving to the second season, I still think it's a possibility (and I figure that no matter what happens, she'll be a recruitable character in the first SRW or GGen title to feature enough of 00's story and mechanics).

Regarding her future, while it's partly just me hoping to see the Turbulenz animated, something occurred to me: It's supposed to have a spare Tau drive for extra power and Felt detected four drive signatures on the Trinity ship. While it could be a power supply for the ship itself and/or the unseen beam cannon it carries, it could also be part of the Turbulenz equipment, which would sort of fill the qualification of a Mobile Armor (it makes a Throne transformable and some transforming MS have been referred to as MA when in flight form) and provide Nena an upgrade if the writers want to keep her around as a pilot and remain useful, as opposed to having her play the role of prisoner or corpse.
ShadowCell

To go back to the part where watching this show is supposed to be fun...

Screw the sneering "deus ex machina" labels and super robot comparisons. Watching the Trans-Am kick in to rain on Ali's Gundamjacking parade was satisfying.
Strike Zero

ShadowCell wrote:To go back to the part where watching this show is supposed to be fun...

Screw the sneering "deus ex machina" labels and super robot comparisons. Watching the Trans-Am kick in to rain on Ali's Gundamjacking parade was satisfying.
Amen to that. Sometimes I find it hard to believe how anal people can become around here.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.