The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk X

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
azrael

This may be my lone opinion, but I feel like the GN-X is too much of a shortcut for the factions. To be handed a weapon to take on the Gundams this early feels like they didn't work for it. In other parts of the franchise, the opposing sides got a prototype or some technology and a formidable MS came well after. Here in 00, they are handed a piece of technology and then by the next episode, they exploit it. It doesn't feel like they worked for it. Yeh, this season is ending and they need to wrap some things up but a little independent effort would have been nice.
Chris
Administrator

azrael wrote:This may be my lone opinion, but I feel like the GN-X is too much of a shortcut for the factions. To be handed a weapon to take on the Gundams this early feels like they didn't work for it. In other parts of the franchise, the opposing sides got a prototype or some technology and a formidable MS came well after. Here in 00, they are handed a piece of technology and then by the next episode, they exploit it. It doesn't feel like they worked for it. Yeh, this season is ending and they need to wrap some things up but a little independent effort would have been nice.
I think a lot of people are complaining about this without really thinking about why this is happening. So far, 00 is trying to come across as a *bit* more realistic than past Gundam series. You have the Union and AEU just now rolling out their new suits, while the HRL is still stuck with the clunky Tieren. The most advanced new mobile suits, the Flag and Enact, aren't even a match for the Gundams and are technologically decades behind. Even tuning up the Flag isn't enough to do the job. That was the "independent effort" and it was still lacking. How do you expect the superpowers to fight the Gundams? They're not going to magically be able to develop amazing CB-level technology in just a few weeks or months.

Instead of viewing the GN-X as a deus ex machina, I think people should wait and see what the real purpose is for their introduction. For all we know, they could be trojan horses designed to damage the superpowers more than they are to help.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Genocide

Chris wrote:For all we know, they could be trojan horses designed to damage the superpowers more than they are to help.
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, especially after seeing what Nadleeh could do. Of course, it's hard for me to think of a valid reason behind handing the super powers rigged technology.

Also, is it just me or do the Trinities appear to be nothing more than puppets? They appear to actually believe that they're "stopping wars" and they were oblivious to how the HRL got their hands on those GN-T drives. They also appear to be completely unfit to be Gundam pilots, especially Michael and Nena. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just seems like their only purpose is to act as a distraction for a grander scheme.
azrael

Chris wrote: How do you expect the superpowers to fight the Gundams? They're not going to magically be able to develop amazing CB-level technology in just a few weeks or months.
They seemed to do fine with tactics and superior numbers. It just happened that some undisclosed variable bailed CB out of trouble, twice.
For all we know, they could be trojan horses designed to damage the superpowers more than they are to help.
That thought did cross my mind when I saw this week's episode. With that thought, I'll wait and see, but it still feels cheap to me. But that's my opinion of things so far.
Genocide wrote: Also, is it just me or do the Trinities appear to be nothing more than puppets? They appear to actually believe that they're "stopping wars" and they were oblivious to how the HRL got their hands on those GN-T drives. They also appear to be completely unfit to be Gundam pilots, especially Michael and Nena. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just seems like their only purpose is to act as a distraction for a grander scheme.
That part is a wait-and-see of the story. Who they are and what purpose they serve is part of the mystery surrounding them which is something that may be told later in the story.
Last edited by azrael on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Administrator

azrael wrote:
Chris wrote: How do you expect the superpowers to fight the Gundams? They're not going to magically be able to develop amazing CB-level technology in just a few weeks or months.
They seemed to do fine with tactics and superior numbers. It just happened that some undisclosed variable bailed CB out of trouble, twice.
That's why I specifically said "technologically behind." There's no way that the superpowers can win on their own on a purely technological level without taking years to develop new mobile suits.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Opinion on the GN-X and why it's logical to me.
Giving GN Tau drives to the world powers is also a way to both make sure that the Throne pilots don't go crazy and also to possibly eliminate the other Meisters.

If all this is true, what is Laguna's objective? I know it sounds cliche because it's been done so much before but I think it's a form of world domination. He wants to use Celestial Being to obtain control over the Solar Power system either directly or subtly. Once that happens he'll have an economic and energetic stranglehold on the nations of the world. The only problem with this part of the theory is it doesn't take into account what Aeolia's true plan is, which we don't know.

I also think that sometime in the late twenties or in the thirties, we'll be headed back to Azadistan and the lovely Princess Marina and Setsuna will get to, at some point, be the Superman to her Lois Lane. Maybe.
So that's my theory and it aint based on no damn spoilers. But I haven't seen the subbed version of the conversation between Ali and Laguna so there's a good 50/50 chance my theory will be blown out of the water. I'm just sorry that the meeting between Ali and Kinue ended like we all thought it would. Man, you've gotta be a special kind of bastard to stab a woman and leave her to die in an alley.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Krogoth255

If I were to hazard a huge guess.

Aeolia's original plan had something to do with the rendering Solar Energy system obsolete and replace it with his GN technology. It could be either for altruistic or far more nefarious intentions.

At the time of his normal life, his GN technology was just unstable experiments and theory that would still need refining. It would explain why he would risk fund and sent a team of talented engineers/scientists to Jupiter as the most suitable place to unlock its secrets. Something went awry though. It seems that a third party group pick-up the data of the research and use it for their own nefarious intentions.

This third-party is using GN technology to build a new world order. Either, Aeolia was part of this group or the said group has perverted his image to create a decoy group called CB.

Whatever the case, CB's real purpose is to show off military applications of GN technology to the world blocs. The members of CB are told they are doing to "end all conflict", but are actually huminating the world blocs.

A member of this third-party group leaks out inferior, controlled version of GN technology to the blocs. Blocs naturally adopt the technology without any second thoughts about catches. They are unified and CB becomes a large diversion. The last move of the grand plan is "sabotage" of Solar Energy system. I suspect Thones will do it out of pressure. (they are pretty darn unstable) Blocs end-up playing right into third-party's hands and become depended on GN technology after Solar Energy System is render practically useless and irrevocably damaged.

Veda is just a fancy AI that is completely under this third-party's control and is key and foundation of this grand plan. I doubt Veda was actually hacked, rather it is working with the third-party group since the start. Veda's choice for its Meisters: unstable and war orphans. Not sure how Ribbions and Tiera's "cyborg-like" abilites fits into the puzzle though.

(BTW, I have played too much Deus Ex I)
Darn you F-Types!
Teki

Haha is it just me or aere we starting to feel bad for trinity siblings and see they are pawns. Wouldn't be amazing if person really behind it all is Saji's mysterious dad, j/k. I do believe Chris is right and we shouldn't argue about validity of non-reliable source rumors and just see what happens. with 5 episodes left I'm all psyched to see how the writers will make us applaud and bow... then again many a series has let me down before... As stated I think it is realistic this way that the World powers have a chance without magically discovering technology 200 years in the making within a couple weeks, months, or even years. Be interesting how this all plays put, and while i admire Grahm for his "I'm gonna defeat gundam with the flag" attitude, it will kill him in many ways and I'll be upset to see such an honorable and likeable character go.
Last edited by Teki on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
flabortast00

Is it confirmed that Laguna Harvey(old fat dude president of elevator shit) is the same Laguna Trinity are referring to? I mean, it was kind of a let down that he looked so... plain.
Teki

flabortast00 wrote:Is it confirmed that Laguna Harvey(old fat dude president of elevator ZOINKS) is the same Laguna Trinity are referring to? I mean, it was kind of a let down that he looked so... plain.
Pretty much, especially after Kinue's and Ali's part after.
Arbiter GUNDAM

flabortast00 wrote:Is it confirmed that Laguna Harvey(old fat dude president of elevator ZOINKS) is the same Laguna Trinity are referring to? I mean, it was kind of a let down that he looked so... plain.

Like that one guy said previously, you can't expect every villain to look like they've just escaped from a James Bond film.

--Freyja Wion
Gone Astray

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:

Like that one guy said previously, you can't expect every villain to look like they've just escaped from a James Bond film.
Personally, it makes me really dislike him, to see that he's so plain. Villains that are outlandish kind of make me want to laugh at times because they can be really endearing, even if they're holding the world ransom at nuclear gunpoint; and they finally recieve some punishment as equally ridiculous as they are. But a villain all plain and normal(ish) usually doesn't have something strange happen to them--usually, they're really annoying and get you to scream, "JUST PUNCH HIM, HE DOESN'T HAVE A METAL SKULL!" whenever he's talking with the hero.

So, yeah, I'm looking forward to Laguna as someone I can really dislike. I started out really disliking Ali, but he's starting to become a Magnificent Bastard, even after stabbing Kinue.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Zero Revenge

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:

I think it's more respectable to see he's just a normal man with less-than-stellar plans for WORLD DOMINATION!!!

That and its a welcome change from Djibril.
Melchior

I would have to agree with those who believe that the Trinity are simply pawns in a bigger plan. They genuinely seem to believe ther efforts will lead to the eradification of war, and they were genuinely surprised when Setsuna and the others attacked them, unlike Corner who viewed it as an inevitability. I really don't like their chances of making it to season 2.
Chris
Administrator

Oh my god, are you people seriously complaining that you don't like Lagna because he's too "plain looking" for a villain? I mean, SERIOUSLY? I really wonder about this place sometimes...
Arbiter GUNDAM

Villains don' need to be handsome like Char or ugly like Yazan to be sadistic sons of bitches.

--Freyja Wion
Gone Astray

Chris wrote:Oh my god, are you people seriously complaining that you don't like Lagna because he's too "plain looking" for a villain? I mean, SERIOUSLY? I really wonder about this place sometimes...
I actually see it as a point in Laguna's favor, that he's, well, normal. The normal-looking villains always seem to be better villains in my opinion; so, I kind of like him because he seems to be unlikable, in that sort of "This-could-be-any-guy-on-the-street-doing-this-evil-stuff" way (if that makes any sense).
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
azrael

Chris wrote:Oh my god, are you people seriously complaining that you don't like Lagna because he's too "plain looking" for a villain? I mean, SERIOUSLY? I really wonder about this place sometimes...
Question...how do we even know if he is a "villian"?
Homeless

Even if you take any ties he has with the Trinity in good faith, his dealings with Ali certainly don't appear to be out of the goodness of his heart.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Arbiter GUNDAM

azrael wrote:Question...how do we even know if he is a "villian"?
Homeless wrote:Even if you take any ties he has with the Trinity in good faith, his dealings with Ali certainly don't appear to be out of the goodness of his heart.
I agree. Check this out.
This is my current theory based on everything that has happened in 00 so far. This Laguna Harvey guy has been revealed to be the President of the company that's in charge of the linear train system for the orbital elevators. That says to me that he's probably some rich guy. Now think about this. Laguna orchestrated or his company/family was the one that organized that expedition to Jupiter in 2227 that we saw. They discovered that purple Evil Haro and were able to learn enough information from it that they discovered the bulk of Celestial Being's plans. Some of the data was probably corrupted as they would have complete GN drives otherwise.

The Trinities are under Laguna's direct control although they don't know everything about the plan just like the other Meisters do. Their purpose is to confuse Celestial Being, eliminate those who come too close to the truth and to serve as a way to eliminate the Meisters, either directly or indirectly (i.e. Johann telling Lockon about Setsuna's past) and to potentially serve as sacrificial lambs. I definitely think that one or two them will die but I think that the first to go will be Johann because that's the one you'd lest expect. You'd expect the crazy murderers to go first.

Alejandro and Ribbons are working for Laguna and Alejandro is an excellent actor. Possessing information about the inner workings of Celestial Being, I don't think it would be completely impossible for Laguna's organization to have inserted Alejandro as a mole. He simply pretended to not know anything about the Thrones. I think this is plausible because it certainly seemed that neither Wang Liu Mei knew about them nor did the other observers wherever and whoever they are. It's obvious that not everyone in CB knows everything about what the Grand Master Plan of Aeolia Schenberg is so it's logical for them to assume that the Thrones are part of the deal.

Ali Al-Sarshes is part of Laguna's plan as well. Even though he was part of the PMC at the beginning of the series and now seems to be masquerading as an officer of the AEU Foreign Legion, he's on Laguna's payroll and his purpose is to further the plan and to probably prevent the four Meisters from interfering with the plan. I predict that Kinue's meeting with Ali will have unfortunate consequences.

Giving GN Tau drives to the world powers is also a way to both make sure that the Throne pilots don't go crazy and also to possibly eliminate the other Meisters.

If all this is true, what is Laguna's objective? I know it sounds cliche because it's been done so much before but I think it's a form of world domination. He wants to use Celestial Being to obtain control over the Solar Power system either directly or subtly. Once that happens he'll have an economic and energetic stranglehold on the nations of the world. The only problem with this part of the theory is it doesn't take into account what Aeolia's true plan is, which we don't know.
So yeah, that's my opinion. Do with it what you will.

--Freyja Wion