The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk IX

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Homeless

It appears on-screen in episode 18 in English, as Veda. I believe Mark has spelled out how the kana read "Veda" as well, somewhere.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Destiny_Gundam

Wiking 'Veda' reveals that it is Sanskrit for 'knowledge', so it fits.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Deacon Blues

ShadowCell wrote:Is there an official spelling for Veda? Because at least one sub group has been using "Vader" up until recently.

And please don't make one-word posts.
Aside from appearing in the episode itself, it appears in the DVD liner notes. My question lies with the name that the Trinity group's 'computer system' is connected to. Langa is connected to astrology with 'rising sign' but that's about as far as I cared to dig.
Neo-Era

Adding to what Deacon said, the Japanese spelling for Veda matches that also used for the same word in Vedic astrology, which makes sense enough to me given Veda's function in the show. Within the subject of Vedic astrology, there's also a Japanese spelling match for "Lagna", the aforementioned rising sign.

So that's my guess.
Gunota Headlines: Daily Gundam newsblog
The New Adventures Of Tomino-sama: Not-so daily Gundam parody webcomic
Kratos

Part of me wonders where "Vader" came from in the first place (aside from the obvious), and especially why it was stuck with for so long. But I suppose this isn't the time nor the place for speculation of that sort.

Y'know, I honestly think that episode 18 was the episode that moved the story along the most in the whole of the series thus far. We have Graham's first move of vengeance against a Gundam, and it seems quite clear that this won't be his last. What will be interesting to see is if his anger will be directed at our Hero Meisters at some point in some significant sort of way. Setsuna also becomes the first of said Hero Meisters to take action against the Trinity siblings. That, I think, was the best buildup in the entire episode: it was made pretty clear, from the moment that news of Nena's "slip of exhaustion" reached Setsuna's ears, that he was severely unhinged by whole thing. After all, as has been mentioned before, Setsuna sees a Gundam as a savior (or, at any rate, that's what he seems to strive to be with Exia). He is obsessed with becoming "the Gundam", and I would say that it has become quite apparent that such a notion was inspired by the O Gundam event at the outset of the series. After all, that scene was the first scene to be shown in the entire series, and I would like to think that it holds some sort of significance. It will be interesting to see how our rash young Meister will fare against his counterparts; after all, the Thrones seem to be to the Hero Gundams what the Hero Gundams are to regular MS, and although they aren't invincible, Exia is almost certainly outclassed here. So we'll see how that goes.

And then, of course, there's Saji and Louise. That particular thread led up to what was, for me, almost certainly the most powerful moment in the entire episode, and arguably in the entire series itself. A friend of mine, who has never really seen Gundam 00 before but who was watching the episode on and off thanks to flashy mecha fights, was moved by the hospital scene. It was that powerful. I never had an express dislike for Saji or Louise, and yet never had any particular love for them either. Throughout the entire series, they were just there...and then suddenly, this happens. It was all very sudden (although not entirely un-alluded to), and yet so well done. This has obviously affected Saji in an irreparable way, and I don't think the poor boy will be able to take anything more. Shame, too, because I agree with those who believe that Kinue will die as a result of these investigations. I sincerely hope, however, that Saji does not become an MS pilot, and I also hope that Louise does not die. I feel both those events, especially the former, would cheapen the series, would almost sour the tragedy that occured in this episode as well as whatever other tragedies may or may not be in store.

On a similar note, I don't know how I feel about the World Powers developing Gundams. I love the unique designs of the various grunt mechs in 00, and they can have a Gundam-calibur MS without making it a Gundam-styled machine. If that's what they end up with, then I'm fine with it, but I don't want this series to turn into a Gundamfest with a thousand near-identical mech designs. Then again, I suppose that would make the whole merchandising thing easier, so I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope against all hope that we don't get carbon-copied machines for the sake of cheaply producing model kits.

On a whole, an amazing episode. If the rest of the series continues in this vein, then consider me officially hooked.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Zero Revenge

Kratos wrote:On a similar note, I don't know how I feel about the World Powers developing Gundams. I love the unique designs of the various grunt mechs in 00, and they can have a Gundam-calibur MS without making it a Gundam-styled machine. If that's what they end up with, then I'm fine with it, but I don't want this series to turn into a Gundamfest with a thousand near-identical mech designs. Then again, I suppose that would make the whole merchandising thing easier, so I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope against all hope that we don't get carbon-copied machines for the sake of cheaply producing model kits.

On a whole, an amazing episode. If the rest of the series continues in this vein, then consider me officially hooked.
Absolutely agree with you here. I would be near-upset if the 3 Superpowers started making Gundams, that look exactly like Gundams, despite that they have no reason to (look at ZAFT & Gundams). Superpowers' Suits that happen to be up to snuff, like the Gundam villains of old? Now I would LOVE to see that return.
Destiny_Gundam

Kratos wrote:after all, the Thrones seem to be to the Hero Gundams what the Hero Gundams are to regular MS, and although they aren't invincible, Exia is almost certainly outclassed here. So we'll see how that goes.
We have no idea how the Thrones compare to the other Gundams, but we will soon enough. The only reason why the Thrones seem more powerful is because they saved the other Meisters. But that of course wasn't because of any difference in power, it was because the other Meisters were fighting non-stop for 15 hours. If anything, I'd bet the first set of Gundams are stronger because they have true GN Drives.

From the preview, looks like Johann and Nena will sit back while Michael takes on Setsuna, so he certainly won't be going into a losing battle.
SNT1

^Speaking of the Michael vs Setsuna battle, oh lawd. Buster Sword vs. Gunblade? Epic Final Fantasy duel :roll:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Recon 5

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Kratos wrote:after all, the Thrones seem to be to the Hero Gundams what the Hero Gundams are to regular MS, and although they aren't invincible, Exia is almost certainly outclassed here. So we'll see how that goes.
We have no idea how the Thrones compare to the other Gundams, but we will soon enough. The only reason why the Thrones seem more powerful is because they saved the other Meisters. But that of course wasn't because of any difference in power, it was because the other Meisters were fighting non-stop for 15 hours. If anything, I'd bet the first set of Gundams are stronger because they have true GN Drives.

From the preview, looks like Johann and Nena will sit back while Michael takes on Setsuna, so he certainly won't be going into a losing battle.
The problem is that Michael has his GN Fangs, and Setsuna will have to contend with the equivalent of several beam rifle- wielding MS in addition to the Zwei. That is, unless the Zwei is out of the things after skewering that Flag.
wing zero alpha

Zero Revenge wrote:Absolutely agree with you here. I would be near-upset if the 3 Superpowers started making Gundams, that look exactly like Gundams, despite that they have no reason to (look at ZAFT & Gundams). Superpowers' Suits that happen to be up to snuff, like the Gundam villains of old? Now I would LOVE to see that return.
Well, to play the Devil's Advocate for a moment, ZAFT has an excuse in that it captured four Gundam-type MS early on and were able to reverse the technology on them for their own MS; clearly they were so impressed with the Gs' performances that they decided to make their own advanced MS made in the same image. Not that an outside organization creating and/or utilizing their own Gundam is anything new, as I recall Tomino originally intending to have the Zeeks develop a Gundam of their own in MSG, but went with the Zeong instead, as well as the Crossbone Vanguard using the F97s and OZ and Romefellar even going so far as to create their own Gundam types.

But back on the topic. The three Superpowers, on the other hand, have failed to capture any of the known Gundam types up to this point, so it's doubtful they'll be making their own Gundams any time soon, unless in appearence only. The only one I could see making a Gundam at all eventually (or at least one that doesn't suck) is the Union and that's only if Billy is able to pick up where Professor Eifman left off. The HRL is too technologically backwater to even be thinking about making a mobile suit of that power, and the AEU seems to mostly function by ripping off Union technology rather than creating their own stuff.
Destiny_Gundam

Recon 5 wrote:The problem is that Michael has his GN Fangs, and Setsuna will have to contend with the equivalent of several beam rifle- wielding MS in addition to the Zwei. That is, unless the Zwei is out of the things after skewering that Flag.
It could be an issue, or it could not. If Gundam X has taught us anything, it's that you don't need Newtype powers to fight against remote weapons. Setsuna could very well be able to handle the fangs.
bvzxa23

I must say I agree with the person that said ep 18 was a turning poitn...man it left me hanging -- in a good way.

So far I have enjoyed the series, the pace is nice, and it's a very well written story. I was always wondering what's the deal with Saji and Louise, but now I see theiir story as well as Saji's sisters (the reporter) pursuit of the truth are all going to meet up in the end.

I believe Saji is going to find out that Setsuna is a meister...and given the fact that the general public doesn't really know the difference between the Thrones (sounds like a rock band) or the actual original meisters, he may somehow get to Setsuna and blame him....but no, Saji does NOT need to be a pilot of any kind becuase then we would be slipping into familiarty.

Now, why for the life of me, do I like Grahm Aker alot more than any other person in the show?

I have watched every episode, but Grahm has some Char-esque about him. Although I still haven't seen the whole newtype power arise in anyone yet, his fight with one of the Thrones' was exceptional.

How he manged to take the Thrones sword during his short battle was on-point. I wanted him to win. I don't want him to have a gundam, but he needs a waaaay better Flag....but give him props he did good.

Now Setsuna stirkes....I can't wait...for the next episode or my new 37" LCD HDTV to watch it all on.
Jack

Recon 5 wrote:The problem is that Michael has his GN Fangs, and Setsuna will have to contend with the equivalent of several beam rifle- wielding MS in addition to the Zwei. That is, unless the Zwei is out of the things after skewering that Flag.
The Zwei recovered the Fangs just after Howard's Flag blew up.
auriga

I think what Recon meant was that Setsuna might go for the Fangs first before the Zwei itself. It's been done before in Gundam.

*recalls Amuro vs. Lalah, where Amuro was pretty much unscathed save for losing some weapons*
Compass

So, do you think the modifications that were made to Exia are special weapons or just what seems to be an armor upgrade?
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

So, do you think the modifications that were made to Exia are special weapons or just what seems to be an armor upgrade?
The only modifications that I remember being made to Exia were its "Seven Swords" weapon. Though it's impressive, I fail to see any real change in the Exia's performance. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it holds up against the Thrones.

The Thrones. For some reason, they remind me of the Four Heavenly Kings of G-Gundam, though the differences are vast.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Compass

G-Slayer, in Ep. 18, it is mentioned that the Gundams were being modified, and you see the Haro-bots messing around with Exia. I do believe it's right after the incident.
Kavik Ryx

SNT1 wrote:^Speaking of the Michael vs Setsuna battle, oh lawd. Buster Sword vs. Gunblade? Epic Final Fantasy duel :roll:
Most epic battle ever. My money is on Squall, I mean Setsuna. I was never much of a Cloud fan to begin with.

Hey, does anyone have any ideas on these pseudo GN Drives?
Compass

Could be a possible nuclear powered engine.
EinhanderAstraeaMk.I

Actually, Ptolmy's chief engineer (forgot his name) stated that the Throne's GN Drives had a missing link. In other words, "They aren't real GN Drives, and can only function for a limited time." They were missing some special particle/combustion/fusion/fission mechanism of some sort. Most like the thing that gives the real GN Drives their green/white color.

Then again, this type of question and answer should be in the Mecha and Technology Thread, so I just realized.
The source of my Gundam 00 information and ideas? Here.
My Innovator names: Eternal Eternity, Stupid Vexation, and Pilot Rival.