Mahou Mecha Anime

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AU_Gundam MK II

Mahou Mecha Anime

The mecha genre is a wide and vast genre covering several titles of great acclaim. There are several genres and sub genres within this vast super genre. However, I would like to inquire about info on the members of the Mahou mecha sub genre. So far, the only hings that come to mind are:

Aura Battler Dunbine
Aura Battler Dunbine: Tale of Neo Byston Well
Wings of Rean
Cybuster (Anime adaptation of the SRW one)
Vision of Escaflowne (TV)
Raideen
Raideen (2007)
Kotetsu Shin Jeeg

May I inquire if I am missing any others?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
Kuruni

Mahou Shojo can shot most mech down, just ask Takamachi Nanoha :P .

Seriously, only three names come up from my memory...

Granzort (1989)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Sakura Taisen (anime adaption)
My girlfriend was a loli.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Not quite anime, but there was a magic themed Sentai more specifically, Magiranger(Mystic Force in the US)

EDIT:

What about Demonbane?
Forgot to mention Aquarion
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
AU_Gundam MK II

Kuruni wrote:Mahou Shojo can shot most mech down, just ask Takamachi Nanoha :P .

Seriously, only three names come up from my memory...

Granzort (1989)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Sakura Taisen (anime adaption)
Like it matters. :D

Anyways, do you think Heroic Age and a new title like Strait Jacket could fall into this? (I don't know where the magic is found in Sakura Taisen and Rayearth doesn't give them that high an emphasis.)
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

quasadra

that crystal thing in kobu(what it is called again?), is magical enough for me. i dont think heroic age counts, the nodos arent actually mech and the mech use psychic power(if you consider psychic and magic are the same then...).
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Ryujin

The various Knight Ramune series should be added to the list.

Scrapped Princess is...rather nebulous. Calls to mind Clarke's Axiom.
Recon 5

Five Star Stories? Yeah, I know it was a movie, but the term anime applies to all animation, right? At least for the Japanese.
MrMarch

IMO, the technology of Five Star Stories is definitely reality based sci-fi, even if the nature of the characters can only be described in terms of mahou. But as FSS creator Nagano says himself, the "gods" of his books are understood as simply advanced beings beyond our comprehension and though their capabilities are beyond human, they do not possess any spiritual powers.
AU_Gundam MK II

Well, the setting of Heroic Age seems to validate it. But I have to see before I judge.

Recon 5

Heroic Age's mahou 'mecha' aren't really mecha. They're members of an ancient species that happen to be hosted by humans/ Silver tribesmen. The actual mecha that do display 'mahou' powers either do so due to special equipment (Iolaus' mech) or amplifying the pilot's existing abilities (the twins). There's nothing magical about them, and even the vaunted Nodos powers may be due to biological makeup as opposed to anything supernatural.
AU_Gundam MK II

Well, are any of the new titles out candidates for the title Mahou Mecha?

Kavik Ryx

Wait a minute, wouldn't RaXePhan count as mahou mecha?

Kavik Ryx wrote:Wait a minute, wouldn't RaXePhan count as mahou mecha?
Gaiking too, I would assume.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
OpMegs

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:and Rayearth doesn't give them that high an emphasis.)
Actually, that's primarily season 1 of Rayearth where the Rune Gods are simply used for the final battle or two. The second season, which is by far the superior show, lets the Rune Gods out on a regular basis. And you even get something akin to "Real Mecha" fighting them given the Autozahm FTO and GTO which, while operating on the nebulous Autozahm power source of "mental energy" behave like "hard" mecha. The FTO even gives one Tallgeese flashbacks given its owner's piloting style.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Recon 5

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned the new REIDEEN yet. I mean, its completely golden, shinier than the Hyaku Shiki, and summons most of its equipment by spinning jeweled disks on its forehead and opening some sort of heavenly portal. It even managed to dematerialize most of its pilot's clothes when he first got in.

The fact that its one of the slowest mecha in history when its in its normal mode does mitigate things a bit, but its still pretty magical if you ask me.
Daemoro

What about Ryu Knights? Does it count as a mahou mecha?
Kuruni

It is...I remember one of Ryu is mage-type mecha.
My girlfriend was a loli.
hitokirigarou

The various Wataru series and movies.
Direct X

Sousei No Aquarion

Direct X wrote:Sousei No Aquarion
Beat you to it:
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine wrote:
Forgot to mention Aquarion