The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 5.0

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zero Revenge

Mwulf wrote:Yeah, I doubt that the shield really functions against any weapon fire... I think it's mainly meant to protect the station from random debris.

I mean, the whole thing with the shields in episode 1 wasn't that the attackers were trying to breach the shield itself... it's that they were trying to breach the shield without being detected.
How is an enemy Linear Rifle shot really all that different from flying space debris? (aside from speed, velocity, etc) The shield should still protect from both, albeit the Linear Rifle shot will probably go through it easier.

I thought they were trying to breach the shield itself, as we see a Hellion get destroyed just trying to pass through it. They were also probably trying to be a stealthy as possible, but I personally figured their first priority was breaching that powerful shield.

Do we have any idea what that shield even is?
lobster

Maybe Soma fired from within, or the shield was disabled/tuned down to allow her trail flight.
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
Dean_the_Young

Mwulf wrote:Yeah, I doubt that the shield really functions against any weapon fire... I think it's mainly meant to protect the station from random debris.

I mean, the whole thing with the shields in episode 1 wasn't that the attackers were trying to breach the shield itself... it's that they were trying to breach the shield without being detected.
To play devil's advocate against myself, I might point out that the shields were aparently strong enough to destroy a hellion.

Then again, a solid high velocity slug would be much stronger than a Hellion, and would be against the shield for a much smaller time window.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
ned_2007

i'm kind of predicting that in the next episode, that the gravity block incident will be in the news but the HRL will not acknowledge that Celestial Being helped them also. It would create a dilemma if they said that CB helped save peoples lives when the HRL president/chairman declared CB as terrorists and vowed to fight them.

At the end of the episode, you could say Sergei is a decent guy but look also at a practical standpoint. First the rescue of the people in the gravity block is priority. Second I don't see his Tieren Space Type armed with any weapons so I highly doubt he would even think about engaging the Kyrios. Also he commented that they have nothing in their current arsenal that could take on the Gundams.

I wondered on how CB gets their intelligence. Do they have eyes everywhere or that HRL got a massive intel leak on their side? CB knew ahead that the HRL was going to conduct a test of a new MS. But then again CB knew nothing about the Union's plan against them which is Graham's anti-Gundam special ops unit. They only knew about Graham's custom Flag when he was chasing down Setsuna.

CB's Veda computer ain't just any computer. I wonder what else it can do.

I've kind of like 00 storyline that nobody yet is really a bad guy. I prefer it to stay that way because I'm tired of seeing people like Rau Le Cruset stating that everything must be destroyed. Still I'm cool if a masked character shows up anyway.
Zenstrive

Lockon is THE MAN!

with only few seconds of airtime,
THE MAN steals the show! gotta to see it to know what I meant.

my take:

http://www.yuwie.com/blog/entry.asp?id=45219&eid=118226
lobster

ned_2007 wrote:i'm kind of predicting that in the next episode, that the gravity block incident will be in the news but the HRL will not acknowledge that Celestial Being helped them also. It would create a dilemma if they said that CB helped save peoples lives when the HRL president/chairman declared CB as terrorists and vowed to fight them.

At the end of the episode, you could say Sergei is a decent guy but look also at a practical standpoint. First the rescue of the people in the gravity block is priority. Second I don't see his Tieren Space Type armed with any weapons so I highly doubt he would even think about engaging the Kyrios. Also he commented that they have nothing in their current arsenal that could take on the Gundams.

I wondered on how CB gets their intelligence. Do they have eyes everywhere or that HRL got a massive intel leak on their side? CB knew ahead that the HRL was going to conduct a test of a new MS. But then again CB knew nothing about the Union's plan against them which is Graham's anti-Gundam special ops unit. They only knew about Graham's custom Flag when he was chasing down Setsuna.

CB's Veda computer ain't just any computer. I wonder what else it can do.

I've kind of like 00 storyline that nobody yet is really a bad guy. I prefer it to stay that way because I'm tired of seeing people like Rau Le Cruset stating that everything must be destroyed. Still I'm cool if a masked character shows up anyway.
Considering HRL's Supersoldier project is an ongoing one, there may be more chances for the CB to know. Union's AGTF (anti gundam task force) just formed in about 1 week prior to the Taribia incident.
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
Dean_the_Young

lobster wrote: Considering HRL's Supersoldier project is an ongoing one, there may be more chances for the CB to know. Union's AGTF (anti gundam task force) just formed in about 1 week prior to the Taribia incident.
Anyone else have the thought that this project might be the "reform" in the "Human Reform League?" My translation had the open-ended implication that while Soma's modifications were "necessary for extended performance in space," that performance need not necessarily be military only.

Follow me here. The HRL is one of the confirmed powers building a space colony. People will need to work in space both to build and live in it, and the nanomachine treatment could help there to. Infact, one could make a stretch and say that the HRL is pushing hard to expand into space. So might one draw the conclusion that part of 'reforming' humanity would be to upgrade it with treatments like Soma's?
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
VentZX

Dean_the_Young wrote:Anyone else have the thought that this project might be the "reform" in the "Human Reform League?" My translation had the open-ended implication that while Soma's modifications were "necessary for extended performance in space," that performance need not necessarily be military only.

Follow me here. The HRL is one of the confirmed powers building a space colony. People will need to work in space both to build and live in it, and the nanomachine treatment could help there to. Infact, one could make a stretch and say that the HRL is pushing hard to expand into space. So might one draw the conclusion that part of 'reforming' humanity would be to upgrade it with treatments like Soma's?
That is indeed a sound theory. To be honest, we've only seen the HRL operating MS in space, other than that one flag in the intro. It's entirely possible that the HRL had bigger plans for the Enhanced Human project, but it's important to note that it was officially canned. Of course it was run in secret, but I would like to know what caused it to be so.
Phantomexe87

Read the review, this seems a bit harsh

"He seems to be too much of a useless dolt to be having sex with her, so I doubt she's pregnant or anything."

But I still snickered.

I am wondering (like many) why they are devoting so much time to seemingly unimportant background characters. Perhaps Setsuna is a false protagonist...
VentZX

eh, I personally enjoyed watching the two of them have a good time in space. While I admit that Chris's statement is probably 100% accurate (and confirmed by Louise, to her own dismay I'm sure), I think , nay, I'm sure that Saji will at least play some sort of role. There presence on the gravity block made things more interesting at the very least.
Mwulf

Even though they're in college, aren't they both still around 16? I have no idea why the idea of her being pregnant would EVER be a serious thought, so I can only assume that part of the review came from the stuff here, rather than the reviewer himself. (I haven't read it yet, though).
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
OpMegs

That confuses me too, actually. Maybe it's different in Japan, but technical schools don't exist before college age ( 18 ) here in the states. Maybe someone can clear that up. However, if Saji's an engineering student, he may just be following in the footsteps of the most famous romantic procrastinator, Keiichi Morisato. :P
Last edited by OpMegs on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Mwulf

Wasn't Kira an engineering student at a university, too? It's really weird. And yeah, Japan's educational system is different... but trust me, it's not THAT different.

(sure, most of my knowledge comes from stuff like Dragon Zakura, My Boss My Hero, GTO and Gokusen... but still!)

And say what you will about Keiichi an the 6,000 years he spent in school (doing nothing) ... or don't. Let's talk about Urd instead.

Urd=Awesome.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
codename:v

And now you want to talk about "AH! MY GODDESS"? Man, you guys sure know how to divert issues around here.
auriga

Ahem? Look who's talking.

Saji and Louise are officially listed as 17. Yes, I know, not much of an argument. :lol: Though I will say that the educational system may have changed 300 years from now (how many times did we have to resort to this?)... And from personal experience, I have classmates who only turned 16 during our freshman year. It isn't much of an issue, really...

As for the pregnancy issue... Well, you've read what we had to say about that. :lol: Chris' statement was harsh but hilariously true nonetheless; Saji's plain clueless. I also mentioned that I highly doubt teenage pregnancy or intimate relationships involving teens would again be portrayed in Gundam given how violent people reacted to Kira and Fllay's particular scene.
I am wondering (like many) why they are devoting so much time to seemingly unimportant background characters.
I have to admit, I appreciate the civilian point-of-view. However, I wish that Saji and Louise don't turn into characters who, while detached from the main characters, always seem to end up at the wrong places at the wrongest of times.
latenlazy

I get the feeling that Saji and Louise will have a very big role in Saji's characterization....
Heecarl_Reez

I get the feeling that Saji and Louise will have a very big role in Saji's characterization....
Ehh...what do you mean?do you mean Setsuna,or really Saji(??) :?
OpMegs

auriga wrote:Ahem? Look who's talking.

Saji and Louise are officially listed as 17. Yes, I know, not much of an argument. :lol: Though I will say that the educational system may have changed 300 years from now (how many times did we have to resort to this?)... And from personal experience, I have classmates who only turned 16 during our freshman year. It isn't much of an issue, really...
Hmm....mildly more reasonable, if they were both freshman(Saji seems like the overly smart but socially awkward type, and Louise obviously is a gifted student herself for the transfer program). The only problem is Louise mentioning her studying ends in two years, which suggests she and Saji are both sophomores.

Eh, maybe they're just really, really smart engineering students. It'd make sense if they ever got dragged into CB's greater schemes.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Dean_the_Young

OpMegs wrote: Hmm....mildly more reasonable, if they were both freshman(Saji seems like the overly smart but socially awkward type, and Louise obviously is a gifted student herself for the transfer program). The only problem is Louise mentioning her studying ends in two years, which suggests she and Saji are both sophomores.

Eh, maybe they're just really, really smart engineering students. It'd make sense if they ever got dragged into CB's greater schemes.
Or it could mean that Louise's time in the transfer program will be over in two years. I'd have to rewatch, but didn't she say/ask Saji to consider doing the transfer program himself, so that they could stay together?

Official Jerid Fanboy
Zero Revenge

Dean_the_Young wrote:I'd have to rewatch, but didn't she say/ask Saji to consider doing the transfer program himself, so that they could stay together?
That she did.

Also, rumored spoilers... can anyone confirm if these are legit?

Apparently the bearded man is not Patrick, but Ali Al-Sarches, the voice in the beginning of Ep 1 and a mercenary who trained Setsuna in combat (sounds familiar? )

Paraphrased summaries
Ep 6 - "Seven Swords" - Moralia stages a joint military operation with AEU, and Setsuna attacks
Ep 7 - "Unrewarding Spirit" - Setsuna fights Ali in Moralia
Ep 8 - "Indiscriminant Retaliation" - Marina goes around for help, meets Setsuna
Ep 9 - "Prestige of a Major Power" - Sergei & co., after a battle with CB, discover Setsuna & co.'s transport containers and Ptolemaios.
Ep 10 - "Gundam Capture Battle" - Sumeragi takes charge over the Ptolemaios crew to fight the HRA