Anime You Know Nothing About

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Hyakushiki

I used to watch it back when I was little, before I even knew what anime was.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Heecarl_Reez

5 lion to combine into 1robot...Voltron!!if i recall there's a remake of this one
into a cg animation--and it's bad(?)

Truly if i don't play SRW,there's many mecha series that i missed...
outside of mecha,there's more that i don't know....
Example:fate Stay Night(am I correct?),Black Lagoon,etc...
sometimes i thank myself,not to plunged deep into other anime
Antares

FMA is solid and worth watching.
Naruto is the foundation of narutardism. I've seen enough narutards to never find the interest to continue from episode 20 onwards because I don't want any of what they've had. I managed to get that far and then lost all interest.

In addition to Voltron, I also vaguely remember an anime from my childhood which has... a hug ship that could transform into a robot. The dudes inside had a fighter, a groundcar and a mechanical horse (yes, really) with which they fought some evil dude who threw all kinds of weird mechas at them. Anyone ring a bell? I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but it suddenly just sprung to mind...
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Heecarl_Reez

If i'm not wrong,what you're asking Antares is"Saber Riders,and the Star Sheriff"...It's already long time,since i watched it too.If i'm not wrong,the Ship was named Ramrod.....
...Got it on Wikihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Ride ... r_Sheriffs

So it was adapted from Japanese Seijushi Bismarck....
Hyakushiki

Fate/Stay Night,

About a proxy war between sorcerers known as the Holy Grail War held every 100 years or so. Each sorcerer controls a familiar called a servant, based on on of seven classes. The main character, an amateur sorcerer gains control of The Saber, the most powerful of the servants. It's based on a H game, what isn't these days.

Black Lagoon,

About mercenaries in Southeast Asia. The Lagoon company, a group with ties to a Russian crime syndicate perform all kinds of missions from their PT boat the Black Lagoon. Revy a woman with a violent reputation, and a pair of Modified Baretta pistols becomes involved with Rock, a kidnap victim turned negotiator for the group.
Antares

Heecarl_Reez, you found the exact right one! Thanks! So it wasn't a full anime as such, but a remake of sorts. Oh the memories...
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Aegis

Now, I'm really curious about Seijushi Bismarck and GoLion.
Ryujin

G.Squirrel wrote:I have, and it's a really cool short animation. The animation team was outsourced to france, so there are alot of cool colors that one usually wouldn't see in animation. Lots of yellows and blues, it's awesome.
Where did you hear that Dragon's Heaven was outsourced to France? There were no westerners listed in the staff, and animation services were provided by Artmic & AIC. Even the French used in the opening was done by a Japanese translator.

It's mentioned in 'Art of Dragon's Heaven' that Makoto Kobayashi was consciously emulating European comics such as those by Jean Giraud, 'Moebius,' with the art direction in the Dragon's Heaven OVA.

It should be noted that the manga follows a longer, somewhat different story. Shaian, Icool & Elmedine are allies, the Neo-Geos are piloted by friendly humans, and the Brazil Empire's forces are all AIs in various forms.
ZeonfromHell

Does anybody know about Tenchi Muyo GXP? I've seen Universe, Muyo!, and Shin (or in Tokyo if you must refer to CN). Does it compare to the other three? I presume Pretty Sammy is mahō shōjo?
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
J-Lead

Branching from a few previous comments, Fullmetal Alchemist has gotta be one of the best stand-alone animes I've ever seen. It's one of those cases where the English dub was so fantastic, I actually prefer it over the Japanese voices. (Same with GITS S.A.C.)

I also second the Narutards comment. Despite being a ninja anime, as well as the mentioning of the word "ninja" at least a thousand times, there is nothing about the show that implies "ninja" much less anything that remotely resembles one. The endless chain of Naruto AMVs to Linkin Park songs don't really help, either. It's at the point where I feel sick when "In the End" happens to play it's annoying self on the radio. Needless to say, I have little to add to the many Naruto conversations that pop up across my smorgasboard of friends.

I have more or less the same attitude about Bleach. I just don't like it enough to keep up with it, so I quickly lost track of what was happening. At least Johnny Yong Bosch does a rather good job of voicing Ichigo.

As for other, more obscure animes I know hardly anything about, I've only seen the first episode of Gurren Lagann, and I plan to watch the rest when I get the chance. Also, rather surprisingly, I've never watched Akira. Ever. I don't know why, I just never got around to watching it. :?
Last edited by J-Lead on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Hyakushiki

ZeonfromHell wrote:Does anybody know about Tenchi Muyo GXP? I've seen Universe, Muyo!, and Shin (or in Tokyo if you must refer to CN). Does it compare to the other three? I presume Pretty Sammy is mahō shōjo?
The story doesn't focus on Tenchi and the gang but on Seina Yamada a guy cursed with worst luck in world literally, wherever he goes disaster follows. By accident he joins the Galaxy Police and like Tenchi attracts a Harem of alien women, including his own version of Ryoko(they share the same name, but look different). Seina's talent of drawing disaster to himself proves to be useful to the GXP in capturing criminals. The original cast do make cameos in the show though. Personally, I found it disappointing, Seina is not as likable or as charming as Tenchi, he came off as a pale imitation of him and the gag of him being a bad luck magnet really wore thin for me. The humor runs a bit more blue than other Tenchi outings and of course more fanservice. Bottom line, it's Tenchi Muyo in name only.
OpMegs

Hyakushiki wrote:
ZeonfromHell wrote:Does anybody know about Tenchi Muyo GXP? I've seen Universe, Muyo!, and Shin (or in Tokyo if you must refer to CN). Does it compare to the other three? I presume Pretty Sammy is mahō shōjo?
The story doesn't focus on Tenchi and the gang but on Seina Yamada a guy cursed with worst luck in world literally, wherever he goes disaster follows. By accident he joins the Galaxy Police and like Tenchi attracts a Harem of alien women, including his own version of Ryoko(they share the same name, but look different). Seina's talent of drawing disaster to himself proves to be useful to the GXP in capturing criminals. The original cast do make cameos in the show though. Personally, I found it disappointing, Seina is not as likable or as charming as Tenchi, he came off as a pale imitation of him and the gag of him being a bad luck magnet really wore thin for me. The humor runs a bit more blue than other Tenchi outings and of course more fanservice. Bottom line, it's Tenchi Muyo in name only.
Seina surpasses Tenchi in only one respect. The kid actually SOLVED his romantic problems by the end of the series. With gusto, no less. :lol:

Given he ended up marrying every single one of his suitors.
I presume Pretty Sammy is mahō shōjo?
Basically, Pretty Sammy is based off that alternate universe from Tenchi Universe(and originally the Tenchi radio plays) where Sasami is a Sailor Scout pastiche.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Sanjiro

Does anybody remember Cowboys of Moo Mesa? I had watched it when I was really little and for some reason the Saber Riders thing jogged my memory
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."

--Sun Tzu
Ascension

Oh, man, Cowboys of Moo Mesa was awesome... It was also incredibly not anime, so it's more than a bit off topic... but it was awesome.

As a child I was a member of the fanclub and I had the action figures and... too much information, right? Anyway, it was a great show.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Sanjiro

Ah my bad. Actually, I think there was some anime show that came on right before or right after it, maybe that's why I thought it was an anime show. I cannot believe I remember that.
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."

--Sun Tzu
Newtype87

Man, the amount of anime I have no idea about would form a list longer than my body. But two in particular come to mind, escpecially since they seem to be so popular.

The first is FullMetal Panic. About all I know is a phrase "Black Technology" and "Lambda Driver." I do want to learn more about it, but I've never really found the time. After what I've heard here, I may just have to.

The second (sweet merciful Tomino, someone's going to flame me for this) is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've heard a lot about it: some good, some bad. About all I know are there are these things called Angels, some Biomechanical mecha, and lots of emotastic characters, and I've picked all that up from Youtube.

Now, there are also some shows that I've never seen, but still know about. Escalfowne is one, Nanoha is another, and Gundam Wing is still another. If I had the chance to watch them, I would, but I haven't had the chance to watch them (I missed Gundam Wing when it was on Cartoon Network, so I caught the G Gundam train and I've been hooked since).
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
AU_Gundam MK II

Newtype87 wrote:Man, the amount of anime I have no idea about would form a list longer than my body. But two in particular come to mind, escpecially since they seem to be so popular.

The first is FullMetal Panic. About all I know is a phrase "Black Technology" and "Lambda Driver." I do want to learn more about it, but I've never really found the time. After what I've heard here, I may just have to.

The second (sweet merciful Tomino, someone's going to flame me for this) is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've heard a lot about it: some good, some bad. About all I know are there are these things called Angels, some Biomechanical mecha, and lots of emotastic characters, and I've picked all that up from Youtube.

Now, there are also some shows that I've never seen, but still know about. Escalfowne is one, Nanoha is another, and Gundam Wing is still another. If I had the chance to watch them, I would, but I haven't had the chance to watch them (I missed Gundam Wing when it was on Cartoon Network, so I caught the G Gundam train and I've been hooked since).
Fullmetal Panic is a show that combines mecha action with comedy. It's main characters are a girl named Chidori (A whispered. People who have stuff in regards to Black Technology) and Sosuke Sagara (Heero-ish kind of military guy.). Personally, Arm Slaves (the mechs of the show) are plain and generic. The only thing that saves some is the Lambda Drive, which essentially creates large bursts of energy and forms a barrier around the mech with an LD. Sadly, mass concentration is needed to get the drive useful and only trained minds could work it easily.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the story of a guy named Shinji who fights alien biomechs called Angels using Human-made drivatives of the angels known as Evas. The story has high religious referral, almost to the point of irreverence. It is also very mature in content.

Gundam Wing is the second AU after G Gundam and the story takes place in After Colony 195. 5 boys (Names being Heero, Duo, Trowa, Quatre, and Wufei.) are sent to Earth with the most powerful mechs of their time, Gundams. The story is quite good, though it mirrors UC at points, it does things in a new way. The new Gundam series, 00, makes small/minor referral to Wing.

As for Nanoha, it is basically the story of a girl named Nanoha who gains magical powers via a boy who became a ferret. She fights off demons and seeks out a friend named Fate Testarossa. There are two subsequent sequels following that.

Escaflowne is the story of a girl (forgot name) who is teleported to a world named Gaea. She meets up with a guy named Van. Sorry, but my knowledge on the show is quite minimal and my Eva statement was made from what my bro said and SRW @3.

Can anyone give a clearer idea on Kaze no Stigma?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
Hyakushiki

To clarify some things about Full Metal Panic, Black Technology is simply technology so advanced it's indistinguishable from magic. Whispered are humans born with knowledge of Black Technology though nobody knows how or why this is, but it makes them highly sought after by the world's superpowers. Arm Slaves are a result of Black Technology. The comedy comes from Sousuke's inability to adjust to peaceful Japanese society, he approaches every situation from the point of view of a soldier on the battlefield which almost always results in an embarrassing disaster.
Aegis

Neon Genesis Evangelion does revolve around a boy named Shinji who fights against giant beings known as angels, though the story is much more than that. The story itself derives much of its elements from biblical sources, including the many different angels in the series along with the first angels named Adam and Lilith. Through these angels and Evas, the story is also very much about conspiracy, as we have organizations vying for the likes of Eva-01 (the Eva which Shinji pilots) and Lilith. What's going on, I won't reveal, but lets just say the story is one of typical Gainax mind****.

Escaflowne the series is a story of a girl named Hitomi who, through a necklace that was once worn by her grandmother, gets teleported to a world named Gaea. Her adventures basically involve helping Van, king of the now fallen Fanelia, fight against the Zaibach Empire. The mechas of the series are known as guymelefs, knight-like robots operated kinda like a sort of medieval power armour, with the controls placed on the arms and legs so that the mech's movements would mimic its user. The Escaflowne itself is a special guymelef, being that it's a very ancient guymelef and, aside from transforming into a dragon, has some very unusual powers as a result of its design as well as the blood pact made between one of Van's bloodline and the Escaflowne itself. The anime makes use of the concept of fate, and literally makes it into a science that can be manipulated. Also includes the city of Atlantis and its people as part of the history and background of Gaea. Three of the major antagonists of the series includes the incredibly psychotic and twisted boy named Dilandau, leader of the Dragonslayers, Folken, the older brother of Van whom Van thought was dead, and Lord Dornkirk/Isaac, the head of the Zaibach Empire.

Escaflowne the movie is a different take on the TV series. The star of the story is, once again, Hitomi who also ends up being transported to Gaea and ends up meeting Van. The story, however, is simplified, as it ditches the whole science of fate altogether, ditches Atlantis and much of Gaea's history, and focuses the story solely on Van and Hitomi. There is no Zaibach Empire, thus the new enemy is known as the Black Dragons (although the antagonists of the TV series still remain, minus Lord Dornkirk/Isaac; the Black Dragons are lead by a more bloodthirsty and angsty Folken). The movie has alot of angst going, as Hitomi herself begins as a girl who's suddenly tired of life and wants to die, Van having a death wish of his own as he is constantly out fighting reckless over not just revenge of the fallen kingdom of Fanelia, but also by being a ruler of nothing, it very much implies that his life means nothing. Hitomi being teleported to Gaea, as I recall, was partly a result of Folken's doing of sorts, and also because she is the winged goddess who has the power to summon Escaflowne. Also some major changes with the mechs in the movie, as for one, they are no longer referred to as guymelefs (they're known simply as armours), for another, only two are shown (Escaflowne and the Alseides), are regarded almost like gods (especially Escaflowne, as it is said to have the power to either save or destroy Gaea), and finally they're organic in nature, made out of bone and flesh. It is usually better that you watch the movie first before venturing into the series due to how little time is devoted to the rest of the cast amongst other things, although I do like watching them both regardless.
AU_Gundam MK II

I'm sorry, but can anyone give details on Kaze No Stigma? (Sorry, if this is annoying, but I'm interested in the show.)
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!