Ghost in the Shell Discussion Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Hyakushiki

Ghost in the Shell Discussion Thread

Being a fan of the series myself I'm to know what other people thought of it. Did it confuse and frustrate you? Utterly fascinate you? Or just frighten you with how this could be our future. Discussion of the movies, series, manga, or novels welcome here.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Vectorspace

Love the first film. I'm forever re-watching the Major vs. the Tank. Took quite a few viewings to understand it.
Second is visually spectacular, but the story isn't as engaging to me.

Standalone Complex I really enjoyed.
Standalone Complex 2nd Gig, episodes 1-4, which are all I have watched so far, I really enjoyed - apart from episode 2. I plan to watch 5-8 later today.
I love the Tachikomas!

I don't like the English voices for Standalone Complex. Especially the Major (sounds too soft and feminine for her character) and the Tachikomas (they should all have the same voice!!!!). I haven't watched the dub of the first movie recently enough to remember, and I haven't watched the dub of the second.

That about does it for me.

[edit]Post 100!!!
J-Lead

I personally think the GITS S.A.C. dub cast did a wonderful job, much more than I can say for the first movie dub.

All things considered, I tend to lean more towards S.A.C. rather than the movies, since it's much more politically driven rather than up it's own anus with metaphors that have been done before, but the entire GITS franchise is definitely a gem in the anime industry altogether. :)
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Hyakushiki

I have to agree, the Major's voice fit her well, strong, no nonsense, and yet feminine at the same time. I especially liked S A C because it opened up that world more and gave some back story to each of the characters, one of my favorite episodes being Saito's where he explained how he first met the Major and the fact it was homage to Full Metal Jacket.
Recon 5

Yup, the dub cast of SAC (and by extension Second GIG) was one of the best I've seen. Once Animax accidentally broadcast a couple of episodes undubbed and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Motoko and Batou (and maybe others but I forgot) sound EXACTLY the same in both versions (besides the language difference, of course). However, I must say that I prefer the tachikoma's dub VAs over the original seiyuu.
MrMarch

I love both Ghost In The Shell and Ghost in the Shell Innocence. I like the first film the most, but the second film really grew on me after a second viewing when a revelation of the subtext really hit me. Both films are absolute marvels of visual composition, particularly in anime.

I like the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex series. I own the first five DVDs of the series and still have to finish it out, but I like it quite a bit. The series is definitely a more conventional story that lacks the depth and density of the films. However, the stories are well written and the show ultimately has much more to offer than your typically vapid anime show. I also have to note that I adore the use of traditional looking animated vehicles created with 3D computer graphics in Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Of all the advances I've seen with CGI in anime, these work the best by far. The animated style of the CG vehicles blend seemlessly with the hand drawn characters, a process that truly merges the best of both techniques for a fantastic next generation style of anime.
WhiteWingDemon

I am a huge Ghost in the Shell fan. I have to rate it in my top three anime of all time(also including games, tv, and movies).

I liked the first two movies. Although the second one I liked a bit better. They were good but I was disappointed that there were only two movies. That is until Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex came along. I loved the series more than I liked the movies. I thought the storyline was pretty deep and well thought out. Actually I was pretty amazed at how fleshed out the world was, not just the events during the series, but those that came decades before. Obviously, I loved Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig just as much. I have also read the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex novels which I have to say are excellently written. I would recommend them to any fan. I haven't seen Solid State Society yet, though I just ordered it off of Amazon. Interested in seeing how it is considering that it is a two year hiatus and things have changed (I don't know if stating the basic premises would be a spoiler).

As far as characters go I have many favorites. Actually I like just about all of the characters but there are a couple that really hit home. First and foremost would be Kuze. Even though he is the main antagonist, he really means good in my opinion. Second would be Saito, because of hist attitude and his role as the sniper. Last but certainly not least would be Motoko, for somewhat obvious reasons.
Destiny_Gundam

I first checked out the original Ghost in the Shell movie solely because it was always being credited as a must see and such, so I watched it to see what all the fuss is about. It wasn't bad. It was good for what it was, but I didn't think there was much too it, as it was rather short. I watched Innocence some time later. It was indeed a visual feast, but not much else. Still, it was good for what it was.

So far as GitS SAC is concerned, I had seen the first 2 eps at a convention, but didn't really feel any desire to go out of my way to get it. Then YTV added it to its line up, so I watched it due to convenience. SAC is better than the movies, as with so much time you can properly develop things. It wasn't long after that that I had to spend 9 months with no TV. So I caught the occasional ep now and then when I had access to a TV, but that's it. Again, it's a good series, but not one I had on my priority list. So I've been sitting on it for a few years and finally started watching it extensively the other day. I'm up to episode 20 of the First GIG.

GitS is a series I HAVE to watch dubbed. Luckily the dub is good (though personally I've never thought of any dub as bad). The thing is GitS is so dialouge heavy that having to read so many subtitles makes my brain shut down. So hearing everything in english is greatly prefered.

Incidentally on my 9 month trip, I'd stay with a family for 2 weeks. I picked up the PS2 game used at the local Blockbuster, the family I stayed with had a PS2. I rather enjoyed the game. It felt like it was right out of the TV series and you get to be a part of it. The controls are a bit wonky, yes, but any decent gamer can easily get the hang of them. It rather fun beating up goons as the Major or blowing stuff up as Batou. I definitely recomend it to any GitS fan.

As far as characters are concerned, my favourites are Aramaki and Togusa. I gotta admire these guys for remaining as flesh and blood while cyberization is so convenient. The fact that Togusa is also a family man makes him all the more likable. Batou's also a fun guy and so are the tachikomas. However I just don't like Mokoto. Now I don't hate her or anything, but everyone else usually goes on about how awesome and stuff she is. Sure, she kicks a lot of butt, but she comes off to me as cold and emotionless (most of the time). If she lightened up a little I might like her more. Also, she is one of the few women I think looks better with MORE clothes on. Seriously, why does she feel the need to dress like a hooker?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Vectorspace

Is Aramaki un-cyberised? I could never tell.

I guess it's just me that doesn't like the dub then :)
Destiny_Gundam

He just has a cyber brain. The rest of his body is all organic (hense why he's an old man).

I finished the first gig tonight. Good stuff. I'll probably have to wait a bit before I can watch the 2nd one.
Recon 5

Anyone here likes 'Laughing Man' Aoi? He was one of the few who could hack circles around the Major, and he's worth mentioning for that reason alone, if nothing else.
South Burning

GitS was the first anime I saw after my introduction to Gundam and Dragon Ball on Cartoon Network. It opened my eyes to the fact that there was a LOT of anime out in this big old world. The original movie might be my personal favorite anime. I know the technical level of GitS has been surpassed, but I think the story still stands up to the test of time. I think the Major is one of the sexiest characters in anime, and when she offered that young boy a roll in the hay in that S.A.C. episode titled Red something-or-other, I never wanted to be an anime character more! I have liked all of the movies and S.A.C. episodes, some more than others, but the Laughing Man and Individual 11 stort lines were a little hard to follow. I'm hoping the compilation DVD's are good. (I haven't watched the Laughing Man disc yet, and the 11 disc won't be out for a few more weeks.) I think a good job has been done by all in giving us a fairly steady dose of GitS and not messing with the basic concept of it all to the point where it was ruined; that happens too often. I always recommend GitS to anyone as a good introduction to anime.
solid snake

For the films, I've only seen the first one. I liked it, though I did find it a bit hard to follow at times.

I really enjoyed the series, though I'm more fond of 2nd Gig.

One of my favorite aspects of the show is the outstanding music by Yoko Kanno.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
WhiteWingDemon

Destiny_Gundam wrote: However I just don't like Mokoto. Now I don't hate her or anything, but everyone else usually goes on about how awesome and stuff she is. Sure, she kicks a lot of butt, but she comes off to me as cold and emotionless (most of the time). If she lightened up a little I might like her more. Also, she is one of the few women I think looks better with MORE clothes on. Seriously, why does she feel the need to dress like a hooker?
I like the fact that she is rather stoic. In fact, I think in her position you have to be with everything that is going on around you. You can't make emotional decisions in the heat of a mission. As far as her clothing goes, I really think it is a matter of convenience. I wouldn't want to be running and jumping around in rather loose clothing (In fact thats the easiest way to plant your face on the pavement). Also it helps her deceive those around her into thinking she isn't working for Public Safety Section 9. For example in one of the novels, she tricks a club owner into thinking she wants to cyber him in order to hack into his cyberbrain.
Destiny_Gundam

I agree that you shouldn't let your personal feelings get in the way during a mission. However I dislike how she is like that on her leasure time too. Heck, to me the Operators are more likable than her.
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I agree that you shouldn't let your personal feelings get in the way during a mission. However I dislike how she is like that on her leasure time too. Heck, to me the Operators are more likable than her.
At that point we usually get some kind of backstory on why the character is like that.
I was thinking who would be similar to the Major in that aspect and Kyosuke Nanbu came to mind. Granted he isn't as closed off while off duty, but some would say he comes close.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Recon 5

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I agree that you shouldn't let your personal feelings get in the way during a mission. However I dislike how she is like that on her leasure time too. Heck, to me the Operators are more likable than her.
They're also total ditzes. When a Tachikoma can burn your brains out with a philosophical question, you know its time for a replacement.
Destiny_Gundam

Recon 5 wrote:They're also total ditzes. When a Tachikoma can burn your brains out with a philosophical question, you know its time for a replacement.
But that's what makes them so cute! I wish the Major had a cute side.
Hyakushiki

Another explanation for the Major's lack of clothing is that technically cyborgs don't really need to wear clothes. As WhiteWingDemon also pointed out her style of dress comes in handy to distract her opponents, she's not above using sex appeal as a weapon.

If you consider the Major's rough childhood than you may understand why she so closed off in her personal life, she's always been on her own only having herself to rely on. She probably finds it hard to share a close common bond or experience with anyone till she met Hideo Kuze. To me The Boos from Metal Gear Solid is the closest character comparison to her.
Dark Duel

Anyone here seen Solid State Society?
Pretty kickass movie, although really weird at times. LOVE Bato's new car, though...(So did the Major, she stole it after all)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."