Ghost in the Shell Discussion Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
flamingtroll

Destiny_Gundam wrote: I understood Gouda's plot and Kuze's role, but the stuff inbetween with the government didn't quite register.
That probably has to do with it being a commentary of the current real-life political landscape in Japan more than anything. I was actually rather entertained that they try to pull a Patlabor 2 in there.
The ending suffered from the same thing the first movie did. The Major leaves Section 9, but all I can think is "So what?" I liked the prime minister lady though.
I thought it was never indicated that she left Section 9 at the end of the series, which is why I was kinda "wua?" when I watched SSS.
WhiteWingDemon

flamingtroll wrote: I thought it was never indicated that she left Section 9 at the end of the series, which is why I was kinda "wua?" when I watched SSS.
You're right, it was never mentioned in SAC 2.

I actually enjoyed the load of politics that came with both SAC 2 and SSS. In fact, I think almost all the concepts mentioned between SAC 1 and 2, and SSS, is noteworthy.
kayone73

Re:

Dark Duel wrote:Anyone here seen Solid State Society?
Pretty kickass movie, although really weird at times. LOVE Bato's new car, though...(So did the Major, she stole it after all)
Bumping an old thread, but appropriate, especially what I've quoted. I noticed that while many of the cars in this 'future Tokyo' are futurist designs not based on any real cars we know today, clearly someone involved in production is a big time car enthusiast, and using Batou as the way of expressing that interest.

In GiTS SAC 1 he was seen constantly driving a Lancia Stratos and many Mini Coopers could be seen in both GiTs SAC 1 and 2nd Gig. Now in Solid State Society he's seen driving a new Ford GT, with almost exact detail down to the interior dash and gauges.

The question is who is the car enthusiast? Is this reflected in Shirow's original manga or just in the animated TV productions?
Thermolysis

Re: Ghost in the Shell Discussion Thread

I was also mildly annoyed by the Major's wardrobe. I chalked it up to:

A) Not giving a crap about what other people think, so going with comfort.
B) Sexual intimidation.

Also, with her general coldness, I'm pretty sure if she softened up or slowed down to be polite, she would lose the clarity that makes her so effective.
This machine has undergone numerous refinements.
NastyNate

Man I still have not seen any of the ghost in the shells. What is the best place to start.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Deacon Blues

At the end of 2nd GIG it's pretty evident that she was messed up by the whole Kuze situation and if you didn't understand the fact that when she
Spoiler
deviated from the main group and went off on her own,
you need to be smacked with a foam noodle.
kayone73

I laughed at the comment from the recent GiTs:SAC 2nd gig podcast discussion when the hosts were annoyed at how the Major
Spoiler
offered herself sexually to the street punk and he turned her down
Deacon Blues

I guess they didn't catch on to her sarcastic attempt at humor?
Red Comet90

NastyNate wrote:Man I still have not seen any of the ghost in the shells. What is the best place to start.
You could start with the original movie or the Stand Alone Complex Anime series. Either one is a good place to start. I started with the movie first and went in production order and I loved them both for what they did. If you don't have the time to invest into watching a 25 episode series (which has a second 25 episode season) then just go straight into the movie.

If time isn't an issue then just go with Productions Order. That's how I've always gone about with a franchise.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
hotlimit

OK, I finally did it. I watched Ghost in the Shell (the movie). I bounced back and forth between the original and 2.0, I liked the updated animation, but the CG segments were sort of a turnoff (drawback of old CG, I'm guessing?). So first of all, it was a lot tamer than I had ever imagined. I thought I was in for a total mind-f*** creep fest, but it was more talky and less freaky. And on that note, nearly every scene reminded me of the Patlabor movie (and yes, I know the director is the same... or at least I figured as much after the first 10 minutes).

It's a brilliant tale, but I have to say that what I would have found terrifying as a kid (pretty much anything where people's brains are being messed with), was more or less just interesting now. Oshii does a great job of showing the Major's doubts about her humanity, and how they eventually consume her. Even though the main dialogue sequences were long and introspective (at least for the Major and the 'puppet master'), I understood more of the plot from the silent scenes. And in the end, rather than having everything over-explained, you got a nice little chunk of existentialist theory to mull over. I've been pretty interested in the concept of 'sentient data' ever since I saw Digimon as a kid, so it was great to see that very idea tackled in a more direct way.
Tangerine

I'm surprised many people make fuss about Motoko's wardrobe or how she spent her day off. I agreed that there are other outfit that suits her well but didn’t in few version she need to strip naked to use her kyo-re camo? Hence it’s easier for her to stealth with minimum amount of clothes. Besides other characters don’t seem to be bothered with it, the old guy Aramaki included and he treated her like daughter which Motoko protested and corrected to granddaughter many times.

For people who doesn’t found Motoko to be likeable proly you need to read the manga. Her character was pictured more completely in there with lots of emotions, ranging from total serious to comical to pure idiocy along with the rest of section 9.