The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 4.0

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

The Official Gundam 00 Anime Thread Mk 4.0

Old thread hit 25, time for a new one.

Old thread will be up for a bit in case some one wants to address something from it.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Vyron

Mwulf wrote:Were 00 to take that route, I'd be very happy. Ya' gotta love a good ol' coup d'etat.
I don't think so; though the spokesman look evil and such, if he were to order CB to go through with that I sort of doubt they will comply.
Kiggz

So now that CB Gundam Team has started this war what do you guys predict in the next episode ???

Personally I think there will be a invasion on something this time a lot bigger and I think the whole Gundam team will be together for the first time in a episode and destroy the enemy forces together.

I also I think we will get to see the Kyrios transform and the Dyames as well
Nightwing03

Kiggz wrote:So now that CB Gundam Team has started this war what do you guys predict in the next episode ???

Personally I think there will be a invasion on something this time a lot bigger and I think the whole Gundam team will be together for the first time in a episode and destroy the enemy forces together.

I also I think we will get to see the Kyrios transform and the Dyames as well
First off, who will invade who? Secondly the Dynames doesn't transform.
♣♦♠♥
Poochi

So do you guys think that the only viable theme for all future Gundam series is "eradicating war"? From a marketing standpoint, for Bandai to appeal to the large proportion of impressionable children, it seems unlikely they will ever move to a more mature and less-idealistic theme.

I heard that 00 was targeting people in the "college student" demographic, so hopefully they'll make good on that statement.
Code name Lockon Stratos. The man who can snipe from across the stratosphere.
auriga

Actually, it isn't that simple. Mizushima has constantly mentioned going deeper than that by actually exploring the implications of a Celestial Being or Terminal-like attitude to conflict. And from what I remember (and was mentioned in the forums), he will also be exploring how Setsuna and co. cope with realizing the mistakes of their actions.

And it's already begun. Note Graham's words during Ioria's speech; that hit the nail quite nicely.
green zero x ranger

i saw part of gundam 00 's ep1 and gundam 00 is cool
gzxr
auriga

*sigh*

Not this again...
The Big Zabowski

auriga wrote:*sigh*

Not this again...
Is that in relation to GZ X Ranger's post, or the humdrum of the CB anti War talk?

If it's the former, I think it should stop. I will PM you the details later, but that was totally uncalled for, Auriga. Please be more considerate and at least explain why you feel that way too, when you respond.

"Ugh, not this again" is borderline flame baiting..and is frowned upon in this site.

Just a word of caution.

On topic: Honestly, I really do like 00. Especially Corlaswar's little ranting episode after getting his ass handed to him by Exia. He was kicking and screaming like a little child and flailing quite comically. I lol'd.

And as hinted before, I did like lockon's character when it was first unveiled, and now seeing him in action..dood. XD
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Dean_the_Young

The Big Zabowski wrote:
On topic: Honestly, I really do like 00. Especially Corlaswar's little ranting episode after getting his ass handed to him by Exia. He was kicking and screaming like a little child and flailing quite comically. I lol'd.
He acted more like Jerid than Jerid! Yeah, that was a humiliating way to go, almost as bad as when Kira would shoot one arm, then the other, then the head, then the legs, one at a time. I'd probably be ranting too, or else cry in shame. :P

Anyways, looks like the next episode will take place in/near the HRL, with the Tirens making an appearance. Which means that Graham's first fight will also likely be pushed back as well.

Wonder what they're going to the HRL for, though. Another MS project? If I had to guess, I'd say that CB is going to be opposing ALL new MS developments, both for fighting against warfare as well as to keep the Gundams' tech superiority as long as possible. Setsuna already demonstrated the ability to enter the most important airspace of the AEU, so likely we'll see the Gundam Meisters do the same in the HRL and then the Union. CB can only maintain tech superiority as long as it prevents others from catching up, so I have the feeling that CB "interventions" will be increasingly common for a while.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Kavik Ryx

Personally, I like the theory of CB maintaining the balance of power, rather than declaring war against war. In space they protected a piece of civil engineering, and destroyed a new line mobile suit on Earth. I would guess, that their mission is to prevent the escalation of war; remember the Shuffle Alliance. Also very interesting was the AEU's selling of their Hellion model, and finding itself in the hands of terrorists. Remind you of any devious Lunar engineering firm? You know what happens.
The Big Zabowski

Actually, that act of selling the Hellion, an outdated suit, reminded me of the moves the Russians made after the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was the first thing I thought of when I heard that line.

Makes ya wonder who really is reflecting the modern day Russians in this series: the HRL, the AEU, or a combination of both? Only further episodes will shed light on this, but the act of "stealing" a design like the AEU did brings up the subject of the Tu-4 (Bull?), Russia's copy of the B-29.

Interesting indeed, I can't stop re-watching this episode. It may be flashy, but it's a good, gritty flashy, just like Gunmetal.

EDIT: Also, anyone like the BGMs? I really liked the BGM during the Tieren Space type launch sequence.. It had an overtone of a certain Zeta BGM (courtesy of Fritz Ashlyn), with a little bit of Russian Balalaika thrown in. Epic..
Last edited by The Big Zabowski on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
headphone_boy

Well, in a way, CB is like the Three Ships Alliance. Not on anyone's side and doing what they see fit. Remember when Setsuna fought that Enact? He did what Kira Yamato does, not blowing up the unit and only attacking its arms, limbs, armorments, etc.

Setsuna may seem like Heero Yuy from Wing, but I know someone who looks like Aoyagi Ritsuka from LOVELESS (Yun Kouga) can't be a terrible main character like Heero. Setsuna seems like Sousuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic, but without the high school life.

And Tieria, he may be gay, he may be straight, he may be bi; who cares. Until he does something overtly homosexual, then we'll know.

That aside, I can't wait for the next episode.
Ya know that old comedic saying, "You only roast the ones you love." Well here, we roast the Mechs we love.
Dean_the_Young

Kavik Ryx wrote:Personally, I like the theory of CB maintaining the balance of power, rather than declaring war against war.
Two problems, though: if they just want to preserve the status quo, why act now? The Enact is, at best, only a marginal upgrade (the solar power system) over an older and established Union Flag. Also, one of the tag lines I saw translated for 00 was "the armed intervention against warfare", which supports creepy black-suited dude's address at the end of the episode; that the CB is opposed to ALL war.
In space they protected a piece of civil engineering,
Under suspicious circumstances: how did CB know of the attack not only in advance, but far enough so that they could prepare a SIMULTANEOUS attack on Earth? Plus the fact that the elevators are both military instalations (the hanger bays in both the AEU and the HRL's towers) and are tools by the wealthy nations over the weaker nations don't make the towers "just" civil engineering.
and destroyed a new line mobile suit on Earth.

Incorrect: they publicly defeated and humiliated a new mobile suit in a public demonstration. The line was already built (the other Enacts that Setsuna tangled with), and the production facilities are unharmed. It was a humiliation due to the AEU's attempt to boost its status, but not the end of the series of MS.
I would guess, that their mission is to prevent the escalation of war; remember the Shuffle Alliance.
G Gundam had a group opposed to fighting on general principle? :P

But again, I disagree. There's no hint that a open war is about to break out, just signs that proxy wars in unaligned countries are used. Since CB has announced its intention to oppose all warfare everywhere, this is more than preserving the status quo. This is an attempt to completely alter the balance of power among the nations by expressing that CB is the only military force allowed; none others.

Also very interesting was the AEU's selling of their Hellion model, and finding itself in the hands of terrorists. Remind you of any devious Lunar engineering firm? You know what happens.
Actually, this would likely fall under Zabowski's point; a reflection of what happens in reality amoung arm export nations. This isn't Seed, remember; it's not a series dedicated to making "tributes" to series past. Its stated goal is to step away from past Gundam series and to connect more with AD history.

So please, limit stretches of linking "A" to "B" from series "C" unless there is solid backing. For example, you just said that AEU is Anahiem because it sells weapons to other countries, and those MS wound up in the hands of some random antagonist. But the very opening of the episode shows a different, presumedly HRL, MS in the hands of religious terrorists. Does that mean that the HRL=AE? And doesn't that also ignore how AE supplied MS directly to both sides, while there is no proof what-so-ever that the AEU was behind the attempt on the space elevator?
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
VentZX

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. I've been reading that people think too much was crammed into one episode, but I personally like it that way. They didn't waste any time, and in this type of series there is no room for filler. I do hope that they have a few more quite moments to expand on the characters.

Also, I disagree with the claims that CB is declaring or starting war. They did no such thing. In fact, they stated that they would not attack for their own personal gain. Rather, if a war arose, they would stop it. Intsead of fighting war with war, they are more like ultimate peace keeping force, maintaining a balance of power rather than supporting one group over another.

This ideal can clearly be shown by the Meisters' fighting tactics and Graham Acre pointed it out rather well. Does that make them anti killing? Apparently not. Setsuna didn't kill Patrick because he never intended to, but as he was attacked he was left with little choice. There was the pilot that blew up and I'm pretty sure those other Hellion didn't fair much better upon hitting the ground.

I guess everything else has been mentioned already. Both the animation (how things move) and art direction (colors and how nice things look) are both superb. I break down animation and art direction into two seperate categories because they are very different things. You can make an anime as shiny as you want, but if things don't move convincingly (or at all for that matter), you have a boring and poorly animated show.

Likewise, the characters on screen can move fluidly and offer up some intense action, but it sometimes comes at the cost of detail on the characters. This results in the said characters looking off, even deformed. For example, take any of the big fights in Naruto (Hokage v. Orochimaru, Naruto v. Sasuke) . The quality in the animation went way up, but the detail on the characters went way down.

I think Gundam 00 excelled in both of these. For example, the Enact pulling of crazy maneuvers or the Exia wielding it blades and beam sabers. It all looked wonderful.

I do believe that proper character intros will show up later, as this was setting the stage, but Lockon is easily the coolest of the Meisters and Graham with his cool and proffesional nature may become on of the coolest gundam rivals since Char. Setsuna's background is interesting and I hope to see him develop throughout the series. Allelujah seems to be a religous fanatic and Tieria (despite his feminine exterior) seems to be the coldest of the four, claiming that CB will judge the world. Sumeragi points out the cruelty behind that way of thinking. On that note, I'm already in love with Sumeragi. Partially it was her laid back nature (she was having a drink on the bridge!) but she shows she's got a deeper intelectual side to. Wan Ryuumin didn't serve much of a purpose rather than to look pretty this episode and if any element could have been dropped from episode 1, I think it was her. I DO want to see what role she plays, however.

I'm eager to see Ep.2, as it seems the four Meisters will be working together and we will get to see how they all work together. I doubt we'll see Graham fight, but maybe Serge. Anyhow, sorry for the long post, but I did enjoy the episode.
Last edited by VentZX on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Big Zabowski

headphone_boy wrote:And Tieria, he may be gay, he may be straight, he may be bi; who cares. Until he does something overtly homosexual, then we'll know.
I think it's been stated that this subject was to be dropped. It really has nothing to do with the plot at this point, and may never will. Therefore, lets just concentrate on the plot (what we have of it at least) at hand, and leave these baseless accusations until a later date.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Dean_the_Young

headphone_boy wrote:Well, in a way, CB is like the Three Ships Alliance. Not on anyone's side and doing what they see fit. Remember when Setsuna fought that Enact? He did what Kira Yamato does, not blowing up the unit and only attacking its arms, limbs, armorments, etc.
As Graham noted, though, that was likely intentional, to humiliate the demonstration unit in front of the public. Setsuna had no problem killing the last Enact, remember, and only that knocking off an arm sent most the targets out of the battle saved most of the Enacts later.
Setsuna may seem like Heero Yuy from Wing, but I know someone who looks like Aoyagi Ritsuka from LOVELESS (Yun Kouga) can't be a terrible main character like Heero. Setsuna seems like Sousuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic, but without the high school life.
Why, oh why does everyone assume Setsuna is going to be either a stoic BA or a stoic social misfit BA or just plain stoic? All we've been told is that he is "quiet". Not that he is emotionless. Not that he is a socially inept misfit. Not even that he has any military competence outside of the cockpit. We don't know anything much about Setsuna, because he hasn't said anything important yet! None of the Meisters have, so it is still too early to give them a stock personality.

Official Jerid Fanboy
attonbitus

With only the 1st ep out, i'll hold on my opinion over all. However, i realllllly don't like the effeminate design to most of the gundam pilots. Thats my personal preference.

What i don't get is that we've had the orphan arab child soldiers before. So why change their name into something japanese sounding?
VentZX

Dean_the_Young wrote:
headphone_boy wrote:Well, in a way, CB is like the Three Ships Alliance. Not on anyone's side and doing what they see fit. Remember when Setsuna fought that Enact? He did what Kira Yamato does, not blowing up the unit and only attacking its arms, limbs, armorments, etc.
As Graham noted, though, that was likely intentional, to humiliate the demonstration unit in front of the public. Setsuna had no problem killing the last Enact, remember, and only that knocking off an arm sent most the targets out of the battle saved most of the Enacts later.
I hate to correct you man, but those were all Hellions that Exia and Dynames took out. As far as we know, Patrick's Enact was the only working unit.

And since I'm talking about Patrick, it's important to note that the great Ace of the AEU had never seen actual combat. HA! He pointed out that he was a master at war games, but as far as I know, never losing at war games doesn't exactly make you an ace...
headphone_boy

I don't think Setsuna is gonna be like that, and I understand what you mean, it is too early. And I never said he was gonna be another Heero, thats what OTHER PEOPLE said.

He's like Sousuke in the fact that he is a soldier. He was a soldier, and he is a soldier. I want to see Setsuna fall in love. And, I'm a boy, I think he's cute. Just give him Cat Ears and a Cat Tail, and he'll look like Ritsuka! Well there will be Cat Boy pictures of Setsuna pretty soon lol.

Also, plot-wise, it's also too early to make assumptions. Just as long as none of the Meisters self-destruct their Gundams for no reason, I'll be happy. Also, as long as the Gundams and the Meisters don't have the god-factor, I'll be happy. Those Gundam Wing concepts sicken me.
Last edited by headphone_boy on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ya know that old comedic saying, "You only roast the ones you love." Well here, we roast the Mechs we love.