Why is Cima Garahau called The Mayfly of space?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Why is Cima Garahau called The Mayfly of space?

I was just playing ace mode in the MSG Encounters in space game and it refers to Cima from 0083 as the Mayfly of space, anyone know why?
Things never to say/ask on MAHQ:

Did Char and Amuro Really die?
I think Wing is better than UC.
Really, are Char and Amuro Dead?
Gundam Seed Destiny was a great show, better than Turn A!
Where can I find Gundam hentai?
Seriously people, did Char and Amuro die or not!?
EZero8

It's an ace pilot nickname given to her during the OYW, just like how Char is "The Red Comet", Johnny Ridden is "The Crimson Lightning", Shin Matsunaga is "The White Wolf of Solomon", etc.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Hi_Nu_Gundam

I knew that buy is it relevant in any way, does it have any meaning behind it?

EZero8

Perhaps it does, but 0083 doesnt seem to give all that much input into her character's past so we dont know the meaning of her nickname. The most development of her past was with the whole gassing incident at Side 2(?).
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Phantomexe87

Would be funny if she was the one who gassed those people in Shiro Amada's flashback... it's a small Side after all.
Melchior

Actually, Side 2 is one of the largest Sides with 40 odd colonies.
Wedge14

Mayflies live only a short time...in their adult stage. Perhaps her Ace nickname is a bit of foreshadowing of her sortie in the Gerbera Tetra.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Deacon Blues

Phantomexe87 wrote:Would be funny if she was the one who gassed those people in Shiro Amada's flashback... it's a small Side after all.
I believe that she is the one in the Zaku that Shiro sees in the colony. I remember her flipping out in the cockpit after the event (based on game screenshots that I saw that is). Not sure if we can work this baed on the drama alone though...
Hi_Nu_Gundam

Well I guess you too would flip out if you realized you had killed thousands of women and children

Cardi Doorl

I don't believe she's known as "The Mayfly of Space" in-universe, though. It's more of an out-of-universe nickname, oddly enough.

The mayfly, as Wedge pointed out, lives only a short time. This nickname could then have something to do with how she comes into the spotlight and gets what she so very much wanted, but it all ends up being so very brief.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
mcred23

Cardi Doorl wrote:I don't believe she's known as "The Mayfly of Space" in-universe, though. It's more of an out-of-universe nickname, oddly enough.
I think it may be due to the fact that her nickname was probably created after 0083, which would explain why we never hear it mentioned in the series (Similar to how most of Cima's background, such as her gassing space colonies), or it comes from some other source (Such as the 0083 novels or the radio drama).

Reguardless of all that, I don't think she's all that well known in-universe anyway (Outside of the Zeon remnant groups, if that).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Phantomexe87

That seems unlikely, given how even the Federation bigwigs know about her, dealing with the head of Anaheim Electronics himself, and how Delaz himself tried to recruit her, I'd say she's definately a big player circa 0083. Her fleets strength seemed to rival the Delaz Fleet itself, partially because she had vastly superior mobile suits, albeit without the trademark beam rifles.
mcred23

Phantomexe87 wrote:That seems unlikely, given how even the Federation bigwigs know about her, and how Delaz himself tried to recruit her, I'd say she's definately a big player circa 0083. Her fleets strength seemed to rival the Delaz Fleet itself, partially because she had vastly superior mobile suits, albeit without the trademark beam rifles.
Not really. The EFF brass knew of her, but we don't really know the details of that whole thing (Or rather, I've never heard anything on that subject). For all we know, she contacted them...

And her fleet was small, only a half dozen Musai's, the Lili Marleen and about 30 MS (Granted, they were Gelgoog Marines), but nothing to rival the full force that Delaz had.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
AmuroNT1

I believe the nickname came because, just before she shot him, Delaz gave her a little speech about the mayfly's short life, which seemed to imply that he was warning her not to think she'd last too long with the Federation.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
razgriz

her little tidbit video in the 0083 dvd 3 is titled the mayfly of space, doesnt really show too much though, just her asleep, dreaming, a view of the inside of a colony in her zaku, and her inside the cockpit having a freaked out look on her face and finally a bad*** scene of her launching into battle in her gelgoog marine. "good hunting" was the last thing her crew said to her before she launched... awesome 8)
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Kishiria

The short film that's an extra on the second 0083 DVD is animation to go along with a snippet of the 0083 radio drama entitled "Mayfly of Space". I think the member who pointed out that a mayfly has a short lifespan as an adult probably hit it on the head with why Cima is called that. It should be noted that she is indeed never called that in the OAV.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.