A couple more misc. questions

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
razgriz

which brings us back to my original point, why blind the enemy when you can behead them :lol:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
mcred23

Because the same situation never really comes up again. The Dom's scattering beam gun was due to the MS-09's generator being unable to power a beam weapon. With the exception of it's variants and the RMS-106 Hi-Zack, few MS after it have problems powering beam weapons, so naturally, they'd go for the full fledged killing beam rather than a weak little, semi-useful blinder one.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yep...most units that would be able to use it effectively like the Dom/Rick Dom already had beam weapons equipped anyways (Gelgoog and onwards) and, obviously, MA are so large and powerful as it is that there's no need for such a weapon anyways...especially if it has an I-Field equipped to it like the Big Zam and Neue Ziel...then beam weapons are nullified and you should be more than fast/well-armed enough to take care of projectiles like bazooka/cannon shells and a few bullets here or there most likely won't do much to your bulky armor.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
HalfDemonInuyasha

Another question I just thought up when thinking about Gundam Sentinel...how big is the Pezun Asteroid Base supposed to be???

Considering it's not really mentioned very much aside from Sentinel and a couple other things, it must not be VERY huge...big yes, but not on a scale like Solomon, A Baoa Qu or Axis?? Or is it really big, but not really known since it's just a test facility and such?
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Phantomexe87

Pezun is supposed to be the size of Solomon, I recall reading the two mirror each other. Except, Pezun was more of a factory like base, than a military base.
HalfDemonInuyasha

The questions keep on coming....

We all know that by UC 0110, Anaheim Electronics was, virtually, the only real MS manufacturer until the Federation established the SNRI, which lasts through UC 0130s with the Crossbone Gundams.

What I want to know is...what about after that during Victory Gundam??

It's obvious that Anaheim is still around at least (with La Vie En Rose IV and, at least I read, that Uso's mother had worked with them in making the Victory 2 and such) and I assume SNRI is still around with making Jamesguns and Javelins??? (if they were the ones who made them at all with Anaheim having made the Heavygun previously)

But Zanscare is the mystery here...any known MS manufacturers for them?? Any other MS manufacturers still around??? Like we know Zeonic Company got absorbed by Anaheim, but what about Zimmad and MiP?? Did they end up getting absorbed too or did they just go out of business after the OYW??
Melchior

I believe that a number of SNRI staff eventually jumped ship to Zanscare. BESPA is basically just SNRI with a new name.

As for Zimmad, I had heard that they had continued to produce mobile suits for the Republic of Zeon after the OYW (which would explain why in Zeta their main MS seems to be the Rick Dom.

I haven't heard a thing about MIP, sorry.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah...I rarely even saw MIP Company even mentioned outside of making the Z'Gok, Z'Gok-E and Z'Gok Commander Type...can't remember anything else, though.
Phantomexe87

And I thought Anaheim was low, pretty bad for the SNRI to make tech for those monsters. Guess that's corporatism for you, all money, no ethics.

It's odd that the Republic of Zeon never developed newer mobile suits, as while a puppet state, they seemed to have a bit of autonomy.
muishkin

The biggest mystery concerning Anaheim for me is its existence in the first place. As far as I know no real world defense contractor on Earth is allowed to sell products to "both sides." Most of them are tightly regulated by the governments which makes me think that Anaheim's indepedent is quite ridiculous.
Phantomexe87

muishkin wrote:The biggest mystery concerning Anaheim for me is its existence in the first place. As far as I know no real world defense contractor on Earth is allowed to sell products to "both sides." Most of them are tightly regulated by the governments which makes me think that Anaheim's indepedent is quite ridiculous.
Well, Anaheim is a megacorp, which isn't really found much in real life, they produce mobile suits, but they also produce tons of other things. They seem to be the law of Von Braun as seen in 0083, and really answer to no one. And when the government does crack down on them like the Titans, they just continue selling anyway. And you can't exactly get rid of them, as they make everything from cosmetics to battleships.
muishkin

Phantomexe87 wrote:
muishkin wrote:The biggest mystery concerning Anaheim for me is its existence in the first place. As far as I know no real world defense contractor on Earth is allowed to sell products to "both sides." Most of them are tightly regulated by the governments which makes me think that Anaheim's indepedent is quite ridiculous.
Well, Anaheim is a megacorp, which isn't really found much in real life, they produce mobile suits, but they also produce tons of other things. They seem to be the law of Von Braun as seen in 0083, and really answer to no one. And when the government does crack down on them like the Titans, they just continue selling anyway. And you can't exactly get rid of them, as they make everything from cosmetics to battleships.
Hence I found it to be quite a mystery on how could such entity developed in the first place. I just don't see a logical way all the various defense contractors that exist today i.e. Lockheed, Boeing, General Dynamics, Honeywell, United Technologies etc could all combine and become a monstrosity like Anaheim.
Phantomexe87

Yes but you're assuming that Anaheim started as a defense contractor. Anaheim was probably a lot like Wal Mart at its conception, a company which stretches into many, many markets. My guess is, Anaheim supplied the early colonists with all their needs, and became the dominant company in space. Then some point later, they branched out into weapons development, as they didn't start working on mobile suits until after the Zeon. If there is a market, Aneheim is in it. Hence they don't function like Lockheed for example. Also arguably, in UC there is really only one big government (past the OYW) when they do sell to two factions, like Neo Zeon and the Delaz Fleet, are deals all under the table.
Hyakushiki

Well, the Earth Federation pretty much left spacenoids to do as they pleased
other than the Titans there was little to no oversight to prevent it, as Phantomexe87 said they provide all kinds of goods and services to the Earth Sphere and became both a economic and political force to be reckoned with. So it would be in their better interest to court them rather than sanction them
besides Anaheim knows the value of a good bribe.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
muishkin

Phantomexe87 wrote:Yes but you're assuming that Anaheim started as a defense contractor. Anaheim was probably a lot like Wal Mart at its conception, a company which stretches into many, many markets. My guess is, Anaheim supplied the early colonists with all their needs, and became the dominant company in space. Then some point later, they branched out into weapons development, as they didn't start working on mobile suits until after the Zeon. If there is a market, Aneheim is in it. Hence they don't function like Lockheed for example. Also arguably, in UC there is really only one big government (past the OYW) when they do sell to two factions, like Neo Zeon and the Delaz Fleet, are deals all under the table.
Walmart becoming a large defense contractor? I found this notion to be quite disturbing and unlikely at the same time.

The Earth government should be able to keep Anaheim under wraps i.e. not allowing them to pull off crap like selling sensitive military technology to the rebels for example in Zeta. To me that was just completely unrealistic.
Phantomexe87

You considerably underestimate the extent of Anaheim's power. Even the totalitarian Titans had to handle them with gloves. If they really wanted to Anaheim could cause a lot of trouble for the Earth, which they did in the Gryps Conflict. Anaheim is not just some simple company, they are a megacorporation which controls Von Braun, and through that, the entire moon. They also own a number of colonies, and tons of industry (including transport). If they were to strike (a mundane example) the entire Earth Sphere would come to a halt.
muishkin

Phantomexe87 wrote:You considerably underestimate the extent of Anaheim's power. Even the totalitarian Titans had to handle them with gloves. If they really wanted to Anaheim could cause a lot of trouble for the Earth, which they did in the Gryps Conflict. Anaheim is not just some simple company, they are a megacorporation which controls Von Braun, and through that, the entire moon. They also own a number of colonies, and tons of industry (including transport). If they were to strike (a mundane example) the entire Earth Sphere would come to a halt.
I understand that but what I don't see is what kind of development would lead to the rise of a sort of "corporal State." Even the most power multi-national corporation today are still just corporations. They don't have that much pull. Sure they lobbied the hell out of congress to give them a lot freedom to do crap but when it involves sensitive military technology the cookie jar is shut pretty tight.
Phantomexe87

Yeah, but Anaheim had one of a kind circumstances for its ability to become what it is. What the people in space needed, it gave to them. A real life analogy would be, when America was exploring the frontier (the west), if a big company set up shop there, and sold everything from butter to shovels (gold rush) to rifles. Everyone needs it, everyone will buy it. AE is like a hybrid of Microsoft and Wal Mart, near complete market dominance in many fields. Yeah, in our day, that kind of Mega Corp is unrealistic, but like I said, AE had very fortunate circumstances, which it took advantage of. Corporal states will develop in the future. I am sure Anaheim has backwards dealings in their cosmetic department too, but Gundam tends to focus on their military technology department, for obvious reasons. Cosmo Babylonia is another case, founded by the Buch Concern who were so rich, they owned their own colony and had a private army.
muishkin

I say the Titans were fighting the wrong war against the A.U.E.G. Everybody along with their grandmas knows that the AE was playing both sides. Bask should've just taken over the leadership of AE. The lower rung workers will never strike since they are content as long as they are getting paid. Once the takeover is complete AUEG is done for.
razgriz

whatever happened to the former zeon outposts and colonies? they never really are alluded to in the later uc stuff. again ive never seen victory so this is just from what ive read on mahq among other places.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!