Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
WingZero20xx

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

hey u guys, im just wonderin what ur opinion is on this new show called code geass.

long premise: takes place in a future where the "Britainnian Empire" aka USA has taken over the entire world including Japan. japan is now referred to as area 11 and the japanese as elevens. lelouch is a britainnian high school student living in japan now but holds a grudge against the empire for failing to protect his mother in a terrorist attack. one day lelouch stumbles across a japanese rebel faction attempting to steal a secret weapon developed by the empire. the weapon is a mysterious girl and she gives lelouch the power of geass which is pretty much the power to make anyone do anything. lelouch decides to use this power to become zero, a mysterious figure who assists the rebels all whilst trying to achieve his goal of getting his revenge on the empire...by any means neccesary, even if it means treating his friends as tools

short premise: death note with rollerblading gundams (the empire fights with mech suits called knightmare frames that have extendable wheels on the backs of their feet)

its been recieving a lot of rave reviews and im getting caught up in it. im only on episode 6 but its an interesting idea much like death note.

what do u guys think of it
Mwulf

It's good, it gets better... stays unpredictable. There's a LOT of stuff that's not explained, and several of the episodes (21 and the geass v. geass mini-arc) are useless.

Character designs are CLAMP. *shudder*.

Every time I watch an episode I expect it to be crap; thus far I have been suprised 100% of the time--discounting recaps.

And unlike GS and GSD, the recap episodes take place ~between~ real episodes, so they're just time consuming, not wasteful.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Deus EpS Machina

WingZero20xx wrote:long premise: takes place in a future where the "Britainnian Empire" aka USA has taken over the entire world including Japan.
I dont know if youre trying to make a cynical joke about real-life current world affairs, but that's entirely wrong.

Britannia = Britain in an alternate reality where it seems as though its been able to hold most of its colonial properties. This means that all of North America is under Briatannian control…in fact it never left it as the American Revolution was stomped upon. We see this to be the case if you look closely in the map showing the attack on Japan in episode 1…North America on the map is labelled “Britannia Empire”.Keeping that in mind, i think its fair to say the same thing happened with its other colonies from at least 1700 and up...What hppened of colonies like the Indian Subcontinenet and the other countries in Europe, especially other colonial empires like France is a question i ponder cuz....

...Aside from Britannia, there are two other super powers:
Chinese Federation which encompasses most of Asia
The European Union which has countries from Europe which dont belong to Britannia. The EU is pparently made of equal rights which is the exact opposite of Britannia.

Also, Britannia encompasses 1/3 of the world. So far we've seen two 'numbered' territories. The first is obviously Area Eleven, Japan. And the other is...Area Eighteen i think its was which is the Middle East. There are obviously more like those in North America...but their label was far too blurred to make out in the map.

Now with Japan, its sorta obvious just why Britannia took over; sakuradite (sp). This is basically the 'big thing' as i like to call it, a mineral used in the production/operation of nightmare frames. Japan seems to have a vast abundance (responsible for 70% of the world's supply) of it so it seems thats the reason it was conquered.

Also, looking at Japan and the Middle East...it was conquered and its nationality stripped and relabled are 'Elevens' and "eighteens" (provided my knowledge is correct on the Middle East being Area Eighteen)
japan is now referred to as area 11 and the japanese as elevens. lelouch is a britainnian high school student living in japan now but holds a grudge against the empire for failing to protect his mother in a terrorist attack.
yes and his grudge is more deep as Lelouche is a lost prince of Britannia and his mother was a princess that wasn’t very much liked in the House as she was a commoner and a test pilot to the first nightmare frames. Basically it was jealousy.
one day lelouch stumbles across a japanese rebel faction attempting to steal a secret weapon developed by the empire.
actually they weren’t even going to steal that secret weapon at all, iirc.
the weapon is a mysterious girl and she gives lelouch the power of geass which is pretty much the power to make anyone do anything.
he has the ability togive a person a command that they must carry through with. He can only do this once on a person and he must have eye contact and they must hear him.

Also, its stated that Lelouche always planned to rebel against his old brethren at some point...but that the augmentation of the Geass from C.C. only helps his plans by a few years and makes it loads easier for him.
Last edited by Deus EpS Machina on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Rei Murasame

It puzzles me, honestly it does. So many people keep claiming that the Brittanian Empire is somehow 'the USA', when in the Geass Universe, the USA never existed.

Yes, that does mean that the American revolution never succeeded. For some reason the anime community seems to be having problems accepting this.

It also may mean that at some point, England managed to aquire the throne(s) that were targetted for taking, during the time of the 100yrs war. I speculate that this is reflected by the Empire having 'Holy' added in front of it, and by the variety of West & South West European languages used in the Royal Family names.

Oh, and the whole concept of this is so inherently non-american, that it baffles me how anyone can draw comparisons to it. I mean, it's named the Britannian Empire, for goodness sake. There are ship names like 'Avalon', and unit names like 'Lancelot'.

---------------------------
<rant>
The most baffling though, was Americans on the Animesuki Forums who somehow took offense and claimed they wanted to boycott Code Geass because it was 'a jab at them'. I can't even begin to describe how self-centred and silly that was, because actual English people were not offended by Code Geass, despite most of the antagonists being from there. I am in no way offended. I'm also a great fan of Lelouche, and he is a 'Britannian' character. Yet somehow the Americans think it's a jab at them, and take offense?

I was offended by their taking offense. I was kindof thinking, "Even if I had wanted to take offense and be a whiny baby, you guys have already managed to inexplicably appropriate it onto yourselves because you love the attention and want to be the centre of everything!"

The issue involves Lelouche (a European man from England!) who is trying to remake/destroy 'The World', as it were, and his enemy happens to be his own people (The Britannian Empire which is not American!) who have become incredibly corrupt. Themes covered seem to include ethical issues surrounding insurgency and civil war, as well as 'the power of the King' (responsibility and absolute command, and the effect it has on the human who has that power), and it also covers issue involving nationalism and the meaning of a soverign nation state. There are also some Occult/Mystery themes present, but they are outside the scope of this topic.

There is no hidden American message. None!

Anyway, sorry about this mini rant, but I was just reminded of it, and I needed to seethe out loud about that.
</rant>
-------------------------------
Last edited by Rei Murasame on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
Deus EpS Machina

Rei Murasame wrote:Oh, and the whole concept of this is so inherently non-american, that it baffles me how anyone can draw comparisons to it. I mean, it's named the Britannian Empire, for goodness sake. There are ship names like 'Avalon', and unit names like 'Lancelot'.
well, hell...even if you dont want to look at the names given...at least look at the titles, i mean its a monarchy for God's sake.

---------------------------
<rant>
The most baffling though, was Americans on the Animesuki Forums who somehow took offense and claimed they wanted to boycott Code Geass because it was 'a jab at them'. I can't even begin to describe how self-centred and silly that was, because actual English people were not offended by Code Geass, despite most of the antagonists being from there. I am in no way offended. I'm also a great fan of Lelouche, and he is a 'Britannian' character. Yet somehow the Americans think it's a jab at them, and take offense?
D: O-M-G!!!
HOW DARE THEY!? I MEAN ONLY HOLLYWOOD HAS THAT RIGHT!!!1
Honestly folks, crying foul on an obvious pro-Japanese, nationalism infused anime (from...you guessed it...JAPAN!) is like ignoring the hundreds of films coming out of Hollywood that basically piss on the rest of the world. :roll:
Rei Murasame

lol!
Deus EpS Machina wrote: Honestly folks, crying foul on an obvious pro-Japanese, nationalism infused anime is like ignoring the hundreds of films coming out of Hollywood that basically piss on the rest of the world. :roll:
Exactly! It's completely insane. But by far the most insane part is that they take things which aren't even about them, and falsely claim that it's about them, and then dare to take offense and clog up pixel real estate and waste hundreds of kilobytes crying about it.
To ease the pain.
And turn away..."
Mwulf

I don't recall ever seeing any of that Brittania backstory... anywhere. As for the parallel with the United States... we have practised imperialism in the past. Sure, not as much as Britain, but it's still a part of our history. I'd also like to recommend that the whole discussion about Brittania/America end HERE. It won't lead anywhere and is really quite boring.
Deus EpS Machina wrote:...yes and his grudge is more deep as Lelouche is a lost prince of Britannia and his mother was a princess that wasn’t very much liked in the House as she was a commoner and a test pilot to the first nightmare frames. Basically it was jealousy.
Actually, Lulu was the ~eldest~ son of Marianne, who, IIRC, was a/the Queen of Brittania. Lulu was the 2nd in-line for the throne. His mother was born a commoner, thus the envy and murder. So, yeah... in the royal family he is a VERY important person. That's why he cannot show his face to anyone that he does not absolutely trust.

Deus EpS Machina wrote:he has the ability togive a person a command that they must carry through with. He can only do this once on a person and he must have eye contact and they must hear him.
It's probably a mistake, but in the manga Lulu uses the geass twice on the maid. (once to make her feed him, again to make her play his recorded message to Karen). And there's the realization that the more he uses the Geass the stronger it becomes... so it's very possible that eventually Lulu will be able to use the Geass multiple times.
Deus EpS Machina wrote:Also, its stated that Lelouche always planned to rebel against his old brethren at some point...but that the augmentation of the Geass from C.C. only helps his plans by a few years and makes it loads easier for him.
I don't recall that. Before he had the geass, Lulu seemed to be under the impression that no matter what he did no single individual had the power to change the course of history. When he got the geass, he attained the power to change history and that's why he was able to HAVE his ambition, let alone attain it.

~___~

As it stands, there are lots of unkowns in the series. Lulu knows that Cornellia and Schniezel, the two royals closest to him, have direct knowledge of his mother's murder... yet he doesn't seem too motivated to find that out. There's the magic ancient ruins that popped up, and the whole mystery of the immortal CC. (Who, if you recall, was shown fleeing an old WWI tank in a photo in the begining).

And, of course, there's Lulu's dad. Sure, he seems evil, but keep in mind that HE is the one researching the ancient ruins. HE is the one that knows about CC. HE is the one that appears in the contract. HE is the king--Lulu's geass is called the "power of the king" and Lulu's father was ~there~ when Lulu and CC made the contract. And don't forget that Lulu's dad married his mother... a commoner, which seems very, VERY contrary to the stated ideaology of his empire.

All in all, I wouldn't be suprised if Lulu's dad was the one that manipulated Clovis into taking CC so Lulu could get the Geass. But then again, Code Geass has been anything-but predictable.

Also, why has no one yet noted the fact that Code Geass is very, very good despite being so very, very cheesy?

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Deus EpS Machina

Mwulf, i suggest you go back and watch the series in its earliest as all that i said was stated coming out Lelouche's own mouth...about his heritage, and about his plans. As for the world map in Britannia...its quite obvious that the "USA" is under Britannian control.

Also "geass is called the "power of the king""...i would attribute that more towards the fact that kings have the power to command their people and the people are to obey. It hasnt anything to do with the King of Britannia.

About his geass in the mang...it is a mistake cuz in the anime, he tries it twice on Kallen and it blows his cover, in a matter of speaking...and she discovers some things he doesnt want her to know (or anyone for that matter)

Also, he cannot show his face as Lelouche vi Britannia. Him and Nunnaly both would be in danger of sorts if the royal family knew they were still alive. Though its debatable in reference to his secerecy as Cornelia, Euphemia and Clovis loved Lelouche and Nunnaly dearly.
Last edited by Deus EpS Machina on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mwulf

That is... a thing I have never disputed. And I've watched the last 4 eps very recently, actually.

As for Lulu's state of mind at the begining... rather than simply tell you why I think I am correct, I shall show you.

Page 1
Page 2

I believe those two pages help illustrate my point about Lulu feeling impotent before he attained the Geass.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Rei Murasame

Mwulf wrote:I don't recall ever seeing any of that Brittania backstory... anywhere.
Look over the shoulders of students in the history class segments, and combine that with what the teacher is saying, plus the map and general knowlege of English history from 1400 to 1900, and it just becomes obvious.
As for the parallel with the United States... we have practised imperialism in the past. Sure, not as much as Britain, but it's still a part of our history.
Regardless, the USA still doesn't exist in the Code Geass world.
I'd also like to recommend that the whole discussion about Brittania/America end HERE. It won't lead anywhere and is really quite boring.
It's only boring if English history were considered boring though. I'm not sure what you mean by it 'won't go anywhere', because there's nowhere for it to go, other than pointing out that Britannia is an alternate English future, and cannot be American like so many people are claiming.
I don't recall that. Before he had the geass, Lulu seemed to be under the impression that no matter what he did no single individual had the power to change the course of history. When he got the geass, he attained the power to change history and that's why he was able to HAVE his ambition, let alone attain it.
Sure, he was under the impression that he couldn't do anything, but he did want to fight them, otherwise he'd have never have felt compelled to acccept C.C.'s proposal so emphatically.
Also, why has no one yet noted the fact that Code Geass is very, very good despite being so very, very cheesy?
I don't see how it's cheesy though. ^^;
To ease the pain.
And turn away..."
Deus EpS Machina

Mwulf wrote:That is... a thing I have never disputed. And I've watched the last 4 eps very recently, actually.

As for Lulu's state of mind at the begining... rather than simply tell you why I think I am correct, I shall show you.

Page 1
Page 2

I believe those two pages help illustrate my point about Lulu feeling impotent before he attained the Geass.
That only says that if you wish for change without doing anything, nothing will happen as nothing is actually done.

Its like the self-help philosophy, 'God helps only those who help themselves"

Thats why Lelouche immediately accepted C.C.'s offer without even asking of any details.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

You know, the USA never coming to be in the Code Geass world could be a jab on America right there, lol.
Bright Noa

[rant]
I'd like to say as an American, I am NOT offended in any way by the Britannian Empire being associated with the US. Some Americans *shamelessly points to the Christian/Conservative Right* just take things too ****ing seriously and make a big deal about it. Why? Because either it will "poison the minds of the youth" or "corrupt the masses". Personally, I think they are just too jealous that a lot of foreign imports (anime, manga, etc.) get way more attention than American-made products (granted, Marvel and DC do fairly well). So, rather than LEARN why stuff like anime and manga are successful in America and admit that they cannot truly match this success, the Right decides to censor, block and/or ban it--hoping that American products will do better--thus causing it to grow MORE in popularity. And the Right is left scratching their heads wondering WTF is going on and why their plans backfired in their faces....when they are too stupid to realize that they are fighting a losing battle and need to grow a pair and admit defeat.
[/rant]

That aside, this series is rather interesting and fun.
I admit the fact that CLAMP designed the characters made me a bit hesitant to watch the series. However, after seeing the fanbase explode to near astronomical levels, I decided to watch a few episodes and now I'm hooked on the series.

<3 Kallen
*cuddles Kallen plushie*
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
Nagi

Mwulf wrote:As for Lulu's state of mind at the begining... rather than simply tell you why I think I am correct, I shall show you.
So...if I'm to understand this correctly, you're trying to apply points from the manga to the anime, right? You realize that doesn't work, right? As many, many manga adaptations of anime (and vice versa) feature large differences from their source, and aren't necessarily telling the exact same story. Hellsing, Mai-HiME, Cowboy Bebop, X, and Neon Genesis Evangelion are proof enough of that concept. The manga continuity of a series is not necessarily identical to its anime continuity, and even if Lelouch wasn't planning to incite rebellion prior to acquiring Geass in the manga, it does not change the fact that in the anime, he was, and rather bluntly says so himself.
Mwulf

Rei Murasame wrote:
I wrote:As for the parallel with the United States... we have practised imperialism in the past. Sure, not as much as Britain, but it's still a part of our history.
Regardless, the USA still doesn't exist in the Code Geass world.
Obviously. I never debated that fact. You'll notice the word "parallel". Brittania is NOT the United States, and to continue trying to find reasons why it is... ~___~
Rei Murasame wrote:
I wrote:I'd also like to recommend that the whole discussion about Brittania/America end HERE. It won't lead anywhere and is really quite boring.
It's only boring if English history were considered boring though. I'm not sure what you mean by it 'won't go anywhere', because there's nowhere for it to go, other than pointing out that Britannia is an alternate English future, and cannot be American like so many people are claiming.
Of course, as I've already mentioned (with the reference to Le Morte d'Artur) the comparison to British history and mythology is very, very sound. It's the "ZOMG! Brittania=USA!" line of dialogue I wish to avoid. The United States of America have very little to do with Code Geass--and any attempt to say that the two are similar (or, for the matter, different) are political. Political discussions, you'll remember, aren't allowed here. :P
Rei Murasame wrote:
I wrote:I don't recall that. Before he had the geass, Lulu seemed to be under the impression that no matter what he did no single individual had the power to change the course of history. When he got the geass, he attained the power to change history and that's why he was able to HAVE his ambition, let alone attain it.
Sure, he was under the impression that he couldn't do anything, but he did want to fight them, otherwise he'd have never have felt compelled to acccept C.C.'s proposal so emphatically.
Right, but it's pretty clear he doesn't have any long-term plans to topple the Brittanian royal family. I believe someone stated that; I thought it was you but I may be mistaken.
Rei Murasame wrote:
I wrote:Also, why has no one yet noted the fact that Code Geass is very, very good despite being so very, very cheesy?
I don't see how it's cheesy though. ^^;

One word: Zero. He's a masked superhero. How is that not cheesy?
Last edited by Mwulf on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Rei Murasame

Bright Noa wrote:[rant]
I'd like to say as an American, I am NOT offended in any way by the Britannian Empire being associated with the US.
But it isn't even asociated with the USA, which is the entire point. ;_;

I wouldn't blame the Right for this one though, after all, wasn't it the American Left that advocated 'political correctness', and 'the art of appropriating things to yourself and spazzing out at every little thing'? ~.^

But still, the root of it is that the Americans shouldn't even have to think about weather they are offended or not, because they were never mentioned in the first place. (!!!)

(Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I just can't emphasise this enough tonight.)

----------------------

At any rate, I agree we should switch trac,ks now, since this is starting to get political, as opposed to historical.
Last edited by Rei Murasame on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
To ease the pain.
And turn away..."
Bright Noa

Rei Murasame wrote:
Bright Noa wrote:[rant]
I'd like to say as an American, I am NOT offended in any way by the Britannian Empire being associated with the US.
But is isn't even asociated with the USA, which is the entire point. ;_;

I wouldn't blame the Right for this one though, after all, wasn't it the American Left that advocated 'political correctness', and 'the art of appropriating things to yourself and spazzing out at every little thing'?

But still, the root of it is that Americans shouldn't even have to think about weather they are offeded or not, because they were never mentioned in the first place.

(Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I just can't emphasise this enough.)
No, I completely agree with you here.
You have no idea how many times I feel ashamed to be born in America....mainly because of over-reacting dumb***ks who spazz out of control over silly things like spilled milk......

I will admit that the mecha for this series is rather interesting.
Kinda gives me the same feelings that I had when I saw Eureka 7. The mechs are not entirely generic clunky robots, but have some flashiness and some practical designs and functions evenly balanced. A very good choice, IMO.
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
Mwulf

You know, when I first joined I thought the mods were a bit overzealous, to be honest. But ya' really need the constant reminding, don't ya'?

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Rei Murasame

Mwulf wrote:Of course, as I've already mentioned (with the reference to Le Morte d'Artur) the comparison to British history and mythology is very, very sound. It's the "ZOMG! Brittania=USA!" line of dialogue I wish to avoid. The United States of America have very little to do with Code Geass--and any attempt to say that the two are similar (or, for the matter, different) are political. Political discussions, you'll remember, aren't allowed here. :P
Agreed, seems we're pretty much on the same kindof wavelength here. I'm almost aching to bring up things that are 'political', but it's true, the rules prevent that.
One word: Zero. He's a masked superhero. How is that not cheesy?
Hehe, point, although I wouldn't use the word 'superhero', some of his mannerisms and that mask, are definitely exaggerated. I was hoping he'd use a more normal costume, but I guess this is Lulu's flamboyant side showing or something. xD
To ease the pain.
And turn away..."
Mwulf

Yeah, we do seem to be thinking along similar lines. As for the cheesiness... I HATE cheesy stuff. I hate superheroes, superpowers and capes. Every logical strand of thought in my tells me I should, therefore, hate Zero. But I don't. God help me, I think it's awesome.

It really struck me when I watched ep.20 and 21. At ep.20 I was really starting to like Euphie's character... then with 21--when she got Lulu mad she made ~me~ mad too. :x

I can't wait to see how this plays out; I'm rather curious as to just how much resolution we'll see this season.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)