Romance in Gundam

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Maniaxe

Romance in Gundam

This is just something I was thinking about. What do you guys think was the best romantic relationship in the Gundam Franchise?

Mine?...

Domon and Raine (best romance in Gundam, alternate or main U)
Duo and Hilde (I thought they were involved, at least by the end of EW)
Garrod and Tifa
I have a soft spot in my heart for Camille and Fa too
Odin and Lucille (from G-unit, even if they were a little cliche)

Also what people would you have liked to see get together? I was one of those people who liked Amuro and Sayla.

Finally,and this is a question, my knowledge of ZZ is pretty limited but was there something going on between Judau and Roux? I know they went off together at the end of the series but......
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Eh, personally I think Allenby and Domon made a better couple then Domon and Rain.

Camile and Four, though as tragic as it was.
Garrod and Tifa
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
"Kamille! Kamille!

Camille and Fa was never really a love relationship. Fa took care of Camille and he treated her more like an annoying older sister. Love-wise, he was always more interested in Four. Of course this is changed with the movie trilogy.

Garrod and Tiffa IMO is the best. I haven't seen G in forever so I can't comment on Domon and Rain. Love wasn't something Tomino handled too well. He could easily make relationships tragic, but are there any real relationships where the true characters are truly in love, and that is shown throughout the entire series? Not really. Camille and Four is what comes closest.
Wedge14

Even though they never really went past the subtle flirting stage, Chris and Bernie allways seemed like a good pair.

*Wedge14 stops for a moment and thinks about life before shedding a single tear.*
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Imperial

I think Domon/Rain is one of the best relationships in the Gundam metaseries.

Of course, the episode where he back-hands her undermines the entirety of their relationship, knocking it down quite a few pegs, but when you look at the competition, it's still head and shoulders above them. To be honest, I think most Gundam romances are horribly written.
This space for rent
Wingnut

Wedge14 wrote:Even though they never really went past the subtle flirting stage, Chris and Bernie allways seemed like a good pair.

*Wedge14 stops for a moment and thinks about life before shedding a single tear.*
The best pairing that never was IMO.
Best pairing that actually was: Domon and Rain. IMO it was closest to a real world realationship as you can get when one or both of the persons involved pilots a Gundam.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
blaze101
Location: Would say Halle Barry's boudoir, but she had a kid. So, yeah...<_<

Favorite was definetely Garrod and Tifa...young, innocent, and sincere.
Destiny_Gundam

I agree with the Garrod/Tifa and would have also liked to see Domon/Allenby. Domon/Rain was definitly watchable though.

ZZ had some potential. It had the whole Judau/Elle/Beecha thing. I myself would have like to see Judau/Elle. Dunno where the Judau/Roux thing came from

The romance in Ecole Du Ciel is pretty well done

I've always liked unlikely pairings that no one would think of. A particular one that comes to mind is Shinn/Meyrin. Even wrote a fic about it. It's in the fanfiction section somewhere (shameless plug). My friend also came up with Kira/Miriallia. After awhile I came to agree with him.

I would have prefered Loran/Sochie at the end of Turn A. Diana was ok I guess, but I never saw much chemestry between them. There was possibility when she was still pretending to be Kheil, but once Loran found out, he went back to treating her as the queen.

I also liked Mouar and her relationship with Jerid wasn't too bad.

Amuro/Sayla was good, and the fact that pairing was canon in the novels made for good reading.

Was also fond of Nanai and felt she fit Char quite well, despite his.... obvious preferences.

Aaaaand I think that covers all the bases.

........ Yeah, I'm a romance nut.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
WingZero20xx

The best ive seen is bernie and chris, despite its ironic tragedy. Given time, it definitely couldve blossomed into something beautiful. It's tear-jerkingly sad that it ended the way it did

Right now im watching gundam x, and i cant help but get a smile seeing garrod and tifa's awkward relationship

zechs and noin was also pretty good too

miriallia and dearka is nice too

murrue and mwu was great. it wouldve been better had it ended with gundam seed. gundam seed destiny kinda ruined it

Among the worse
Kou and Nina

Kira and Lacus (its just too cutesy)

So-So's
Athrun and Cagalli

Shiro and Aina
Xess

I like Amuro/Sayla, the novels were great that way. Too bad he dies in the end though. I also like Amuro/Chan, but that's mostly because I think Chan is a good character and I prefer Amuro/Sayla over that pairing.

I liked Kira/Cagalli too, before I found out they were related. I also like Kamille/Emma.

Mu/Murrue is a good one, as is Zechs/Noin.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. - Ballad of Serenity
Destiny_Gundam

I never understood why people like Dearka/Miriallia... I mean he's a jackass and she deserves a lot better. Also don't quite get why people still hang onto it despite the fact that Miriallia specifically states that she dumped him.
Xess wrote:I liked Kira/Cagalli too, before I found out they were related
That doesn't stop them from becoming a couple!

................ shut up
EZero8

Personally, I felt that the Domon-Rain relationship beats out all since it was the best developed relationship of all of Gundam. However, they're closely followed by Garrod and Tiffa.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
solid snake

I always thought Domon-Rain had the best love story, followed by Shiro-Aina. I also thought that Kamille-Four and Shinn-Stella were very sad and tragic.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Ork_dreadnought

Its interesting to see the only Gundam anime with a romance as the main plot thread has not rated highly in this discussion.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

Ork_dreadnought wrote:Its interesting to see the only Gundam anime with a romance as the main plot thread has not rated highly in this discussion.
Which are you refering to?
kfrooster

Gundam SEED actually had a pretty good romance between Mwu La Flaga and Murrue Ramius. Ecole du Ciel with it's sort of chick flick flair to it, is cute in the school girl crush sort of sense. The relationship between Shinn and Asuna is very sweet.
lalahsghost

Oh man, where should I start?

Beltochika and Amuro *WHAT????!!!!* I hear an uproar. They used each other so much, emotionally and mentally. Heck, I think she actually had a motive to try to get him to fight again, like some kind of real life uber fangirl. It was taken out of the movies, but Camille says it best in Zeta (In the ep where Camille meets Four), something along the lines of "they're there to lick each other's wounds." I'm not think he meant it in a carnal sense, but You know Amuro and Belto GOT TO IT.

What about Mirai and Bright? Goodness, She's a devout wife! 0087(AT LEAST) to 0093 without seeing her husband (On screen... they probably rendevouz'ed between ZZ and When Londo Bell was created...). Lets not forget their whole relationship-tension in MSG. You could tell it was *cough* magic0083 reference ~_~ from the start.

Henken and Emma seemed like a REAL real love. He didn't know how to approach her for like half of the series, but once he did, they were like lovebirds in a war, and still tried to pass little comments/notes/gifts while still in uniform. It's so cute.

Loran and his fish. - Man, that was a true love right there~
Phantomexe87 wrote:MSG: Really, the one that saddened me was Kai and Miharu.
08th - Nothing worth mentioning
0080 - Eh, it's nothing to write home about...
0083 - Ditto, unless you wanna talk about whores. Oh wait, keith and Maya or whatever her name is.
Z- I will have to say, Camille's japanese voice for even in games scenes of him fighting Four on Mt. Kilimanjaro makes me weepy. Not because she dies, but the intensity of Camille sputtering Four! Get out of that machine!
ZZ- Once again, Bright takes the stage. The one AE wonam who falls in love with him, it was a bit tragic, and memorable.
CCA - I would have rather talked about belto's children
F91 - seh-shih-lii! The scene where seabook's mom is telling him to look inside himself to find Cecily, it was nothing too special, but it pulled at the heart strings, if you really got into the characters.

And that's about all they wrote~
Last edited by lalahsghost on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

Seabook and Cecily, especially when we see how they are in Crossbone.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Phantomexe87

08th MS Team: This kind of a Romeo and Juliet thing, I think it's kind of overdone.
0080: Not really one here, as the two potential ones kill each other.
0083: The love triangle works better when the whole triangle is explored, I don't see what Gato saw in Nina, and we never will.
MSG: Really, the one that saddened me was Kai and Miharu.
Seed: Mu and Murrue was okay, anything else was pretty meh, I think Athrun can do better.
GSD: Athrun does do a little better! Shinn and Stellar was more a platonic sibling love if you ask me.
Stargazer: There was love here somewhere...
Zeta: Had a few good ones here, best being Kamille and Four.
Wing: Well... if Heero is in to stalkers, this should work out fine.
wing zero alpha

Mobile Suit Gundam - The only "romance" (note the quotations) I really liked in this one was the relationship between Amuro Ray and Fraw Bow; of all the women Amuro has hooked up with, I always thought Fraw was the best one for him, as she cared about him more than anyone else on the White Base and besides Bright was the only one who could get Amuro in the Gundam to fight. I probably would have liked Sayla if she wasn't so overly obsessed with her brother (stealing the Gundam pushed it), and Lalah Sune was the sacrificial lamb of the series, so I never liked her much either.

08th MS Team - As Phantomexe put it, a typical Romeo and Juliet. I never really liked Shiro and Aina, I think they should have stayed enemies and fought to the end, tragic factor and all (my opinion of course). For anything else, I suppose there's Eledore and Karen, which was pretty funny.

Gundam 0080 - To tell the truth, I always thought Chris deserved more than Bernie, and it didn't help that I could see his death coming a mile away, since the beginning even. I know you're supposed to feel bad about him dying, but I actually laughed at Bernie when he died, especially when the guy said "He's hamburger". On the other hand, it was a nice setup, and Al running in just as the two were about to deliver their final blows was a nice touch (way to mess up a kid's psyche).

Gundam 0083 - Kou Uraki, Anavel Gato and Nina Purpleton. I don't think there's more to be said :?. Same goes for Chuck Keith and Mora.... Yeah.

Z Gundam - Kamille and Four was alright, I actually felt for them even though again I could see Four dying a tragic death a mile away. When it comes down to it I wish Four survived and joined the AEUG so that we wouldn't have to deal with Fa Yuiri and her antics. Unfortunately, I didn't like the others much; Katz and Sarah were too annoying in their own ways, and Amuro could have done a hell of a lot better than Beltochika. Beltochika is one of the bigger reasons why I wish Amuro would have hooked up with Fraw, especially in Zeta when Fraw is a dignified woman, and even that couldn't happen what was the big deal about finding a new seiyuu for Sayla?

ZZ Gundam - Nothing really stands out here worth noting.

Char's Counterattack - Well, I have to admit Chan Agi is "one small step for man" up from Beltochika, but it doesn't change the fact she was a stand-in female so Amuro would have a tragic love interest. I also liked Miguel, to the point I felt sorry for her when Char pretty much shunned her.

Gundam F91 - Gundam pilot boy meets princess-of-badguy-faction girl next door. That being said, I didn't care for Seabook and Cecily at first; it was in Crossbone Gundam when the two were professional pirates/rebels that I appreciated them.

V Gundam - Just like ZZ, not much to note, although I suppose Oliver and Marbet was pretty tragic.

G Gundam - I'm not sure if I'd call the Domon/Rain romance the best thing that ever happened to Gundam, but it was certainly well played straight to the end. To tell the truth, I was always more fond of Allenby than Rain, but I never had illusions that she and Domon would hook up. Other than that, there's Sai Saici side romance that was actually pretty good, as well as the potential relationship between Argo and Natasha.

Gundam Wing - I admit right now I was one of the original fans for Heero and Relena, to the point where I used to argue tooth and nail against the yaoi fans that insisted Heero and Duo were soulmates. While I'm not as big of a Wing fan as I was in the day, I still like the potential between the two, especially at the end of Endless Waltz. Other favorites are definitely Zechs and Noin (one thing Zechs will always hold over Char) and Duo and Hilde.

Gundam X - Similar case from G Gundam, where Garrod/Tifa was well played from beginning to finish, even though just like in G, I found a secondary character more appealing (Ennil El). It was really painful to watch Garrod be a dumbass and shun Ennil, even when knowing he and Tifa were literally made for each other. I also enjoyed the relationship between Jamil and Lucille.

Turn A Gundam - You know, Turn A Gundam is my favorite Gundam series overall, but the romance element has always been so-so to me. I loved Dianna, but I never really thought she and Loran would hook up, and when they did it again felt like "out of left field". I thought Harry and Kiel did a better job though. Joseph and his girlfriend (Fran Doll?) also worked for the series, but when the latter got pregneant, I literally said "Where did THAT come from?"

Gundam SEED - When SEED came out, I was a fan of Kira and Fllay, up until the kiss came up. When that happened, I thought "Uh oh, that was too early", and sure enough, it all went to hell not long after. That being said, I liked Kira and Lacus at this point, well before they got preachy as they did in Destiny. Same goes for Athrun and Cagalli, even if their meeting was dubious at best, and Mwu and Murrue (even though I also saw Mwu dying from long ago). Dearka and Miriallia was literally an unplanned change, but I liked the way it worked out and I'd definitely take Dearka over Tolle. And for an honorable mention, the potential between Yzak and Shiho intrigues me.

Gundam SEED Destiny - This is a really funny one. When the images came out for the characters, the first thing I thought was "they're going to make a Kamille/Four romance between the ZAFT kid and that blonde Gaia pilot, then Gaia pilot dies tragic death and ZAFT kid joins up with red haired colleague". Boy, did I nail that one. And you know when you can guess where the romance is going to go before the show even premieres that the element is doomed from the start. On the other hand, I felt more sympathetic for Stellar and her condition than I did Four, as thanks to the talent of Houko Kuwashima, Stellar really came across as an otherwise innocent girl turned into something horrific. And for the most part Lunamaria was one of my favorite characters in Destiny, although I was hoping that she and Shinn would have a more descripted relationship at the start (specifically going for a mixed-feelings approach like Kamille and Fa, only without the constant angsting and venting).

Gundam SEED Stargazer - Probably the first Gundam saga where there is no romance factor, unless you count Gundam Sentinel.
Last edited by wing zero alpha on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.