New Interview w/ Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (2021)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bhayes82

New Interview w/ Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (2021)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... 677c3a3731

So many interesting revelations about Gundam, Gundam F91, Unicorn, Origin Manga and Origin prequel animation & Cucuruz Doan's island film.

He talks about his old beef w/ Tomino from back in the day and their reconciliation later.

He talks about How and why he did The Origin (animation) adaptation. Why he decided to do Cucuruz Doan's Island film and what it would take for the entire origin series to get an animation adaptation and why he thinks it won't happen. Bottom Line Tomino would need to step up and express interest in doing it and that he and Tomino are too old now. Lots of Politics and Ego issues too.
Underrated GM Custom

Re: New Interview w/ Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (2021)

Great article, thanks for sharing! Here's a good except that talks a bit about why Sunrise only animated the Char and Sayla background of Origin.
“I also added a new part in Gundam The Origin, which was the past of Char and Sayla. So 6 volumes out of 23 are about this. This part was completely original and done by me. So once the manga became very popular, Sunrise began to think about a possible anime adaptation but they were also reluctant to re-animate content from the original Mobile Suit Gundam without Tomino’s involvement. Instead, the safest landing point for Sunrise was to animate the new part I added to the manga, as that didn’t involve Tomino in any way and also wouldn’t disrespect his work.

“While I had already retired from animation by this point to work on manga, but I felt that if my manga was to be adapted into animation, then I wanted to do that. So this is why I accepted the offer from Sunrise to handle the animation of Gundam The Origin.

“However, if Tomino suddenly said that he’d want to re-animate the original Mobile Suit Gundam, then no one would be able to stop him. His presence is so huge when it comes to anything related to Gundam. That said, if this remake were to happen, that would be done by the present-day Tomino. It would be very different in terms of the atmosphere when compared to the original. So I’m not overly keen to see something like this happen. That said, Tomino is old like me, so I doubt he would want to do this anyway.
bhayes82

yep. so there goes his definitive answer on this subject. He says he views Cucuruz Doan's Island as a 'side story'

i got a feeling it will do BIG numbers the way Hathaway film did.

its a shame though. if Tomino and Yasuhiko worked together again, hashed out their differences and if Sunrise brought in the team that has worked on Origin and Doan's Island and they all made it a point to adapt the 'origin manga' as a continuation of the Origin OAV and a remake of the original . it would be a major thing. it would do big numbers.

but...ego and politics are preventing such a thing from happening. it's unfortunate. but it is what it is.

but the answer is tomino would need to step up and announce that he wants it to happen and him and yasuhiko would need to make peace and agree upon what the approach for a remake/origin continuation would look like.

maybe if Doan's Island is hugely successful, Sunrise, Tomino and Yasuhiko will come to the realization that they need to give the people want they want.
Underrated GM Custom

From the article it sounds like Yas doesn't hold any ill will against Tomino anymore. He did mention that Tomino is in a different mindset these days so remaking MSG may not be the best idea. Tomino is also very busy with the G-Reco movies and its unclear if he wants to work on Gundam anymore after that. I believe I saw an interview where he said he wanted to do another entry for Dunbine in the future.

I think Doan's island will do well but as Chris mentioned in another thread we don't know what it is going to cover or adapt at this point. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
bhayes82

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:33 pm From the article it sounds like Yas doesn't hold any ill will against Tomino anymore. He did mention that Tomino is in a different mindset these days so remaking MSG may not be the best idea. Tomino is also very busy with the G-Reco movies and its unclear if he wants to work on Gundam anymore after that. I believe I saw an interview where he said he wanted to do another entry for Dunbine in the future.

I think Doan's island will do well but as Chris mentioned in another thread we don't know what it is going to cover or adapt at this point. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
there is also the possibility that if Doan's Island does well that Yas & that team can do a 'side-story' film series. with original new stories. but i'm actually hoping it does BIG numbers and Sunrise calls up Tomino and Yas and they throw ALOT of money at them to make it happen.
Underrated GM Custom

I'm looking forward to it, hope it does well this summer.