SENTINEL: DEBUNKED

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DragoMaster009

SENTINEL: DEBUNKED

Zeonic Scanlations has been working on debunking and correcting a lot of the wild claims on this page. It's an interesting read regardless of how well you know about Gundam Sentinel before hand.
MythSearcher

Re: SENTINEL: DEBUNKED

DragoMaster009 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:53 am Zeonic Scanlations has been working on debunking and correcting a lot of the wild claims on this page. It's an interesting read regardless of how well you know about Gundam Sentinel before hand.
I can fully understand what's going on because I have been trying to do the same thing over the years on Chinese forums to no avail.
You give the detailed account of what happened, nobody read the full thing and just pick up random words and reconstruct their own versions.
You give a brief overview, and people start to add things of their own and create their own versions.
You just cannot win.

But the Bandai lost interest part came from Gundam Wars III Gundam Sentinel edition(at least that is what the staff felt at the time), so that page isn't really being completely adhering to the book as well. Which was also in the translation of the page, so saying it came from nowhere seems a bit odd.

Also, the part titled Superior Gundam should be Supreme Gundam(スブリーム.ガンダム) if we adhere to the original wording. Likely just a typo.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:11 am But the Bandai lost interest part came from Gundam Wars III Gundam Sentinel edition(at least that is what the staff felt at the time), so that page isn't really being completely adhering to the book as well. Which was also in the translation of the page, so saying it came from nowhere seems a bit odd.
Because they didn't lose interest. Your own words above about people picking certain things and spinning their own narrative is exactly what everyone has done. Everything that I summarized came from the Sentinel book, as notated on the bottom for sources. I don't know why people equate suspending a project with losing interest. That isn't the case at all. I suppose my "facing utter defeat" wasn't the correct way to phrase the start to that section.
Also, the part titled Superior Gundam should be Supreme Gundam(スブリーム.ガンダム) if we adhere to the original wording. Likely just a typo.
Too much reading between Supreme and Superior, honestly.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:16 am Because they didn't lose interest. Your own words above about people picking certain things and spinning their own narrative is exactly what everyone has done. Everything that I summarized came from the Sentinel book, as notated on the bottom for sources. I don't know why people equate suspending a project with losing interest. That isn't the case at all. I suppose my "facing utter defeat" wasn't the correct way to phrase the start to that section.
Because cancelling a project is exactly losing interest.
When you no longer want to do something, it is because your interest level is low enough that you do not want to do it any more.

They have not enough interest in keeping the project going.
Like I said, it was at least the view on the MG side, Bandai used the term pending but it was actually cancelling(中止) the project. That is what makes the MG side frustrated because of all the work they put in.

Too much reading between Supreme and Superior, honestly.
Completely understandable, I still can't remember if it is Supreme or Superior without looking at the sources.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:52 am Because ending a project is exactly losing interest. They have no interest in keeping the project going.
Like I said, it was at least the view on the MG side, Bandai used the term pending but it was actually ending(中止) the project. That is what makes the MG side frustrated because of all the work they put in.
You're not looking at the facts that are presented in the article (both what I wrote and what is also stated in the book). Bandai's pending status was a direct result of the backlash from the debut of the Supreme from the Hobby Show and the magazine. If you actually read everything that I summarized, which I'm kinda doubtful you did, otherwise you'd see the note I have in there about it being postponed but in their minds 'canceled' (which is not "ending"). It was corporate-speak, so yeah they felt that was it for the project. It's 100% understandable that if there's that big of a backlash to something and you don't have the time or resources to dedicate to it, you put it off. Besides, their ramp-up for CCA across every other magazine and media is understandably a strain.

Did you even bother to read the part of the article further down where Kawaguchi outlined the benefits to Bandai and their role in this or how MG discussed restructuring with them? Bandai used the excuse of Char's Counterattack to step away to manage their other asset at the time, which was a bit of a dickish move on their part, but as I said, understandable. They were still needed to produce the kits, which eventually happened (hence the argument over resuming versus realizing). Kinda hard to "lose interest" and "cancel" something only to jump back on board again like nothing ever happened. If Bandai had lost interest, they would have written off the project and could've easily told the magazine off and that would've been the end of it, but no, they were still a part of it because it's a bloody joint project they never left.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:28 am
You're not looking at the facts that are presented in the article (both what I wrote and what is also stated in the book). Bandai's pending status was a direct result of the backlash from the debut of the Supreme from the Hobby Show and the magazine. If you actually read everything that I summarized, which I'm kinda doubtful you did, otherwise you'd see the note I have in there about it being postponed but in their minds 'canceled' (which is not "ending"). It was corporate-speak, so yeah they felt that was it for the project. It's 100% understandable that if there's that big of a backlash to something and you don't have the time or resources to dedicate to it, you put it off. Besides, their ramp-up for CCA across every other magazine and media is understandably a strain.

Did you even bother to read the part of the article further down where Kawaguchi outlined the benefits to Bandai and their role in this or how MG discussed restructuring with them? Bandai used the excuse of Char's Counterattack to step away to manage their other asset at the time, which was a bit of a dickish move on their part, but as I said, understandable. They were still needed to produce the kits, which eventually happened (hence the argument over resuming versus realizing). Kinda hard to "lose interest" and "cancel" something only to jump back on board again like nothing ever happened. If Bandai had lost interest, they would have written off the project and could've easily told the magazine off and that would've been the end of it, but no, they were still a part of it because it's a bloody joint project they never left.
Cancel is the same as end, the result is exactly the same, they no longer work on the project. And their participation was necessary.
Nothing afterwards matters because obviously to the MG side ended up only working on their own and gaining interest from the public so that Bandai is willing to get back to the table and continue doing what they should have done.
Like I said, Bandai lost interest in the middle of the project, at least this is what the MG side view things, thus they say Bandai used the term Pending, but to them it was cancelled/ended.
Whether the interest was rekindled afterwards does not matter to the fact that they did try to withdraw from the project because of lost of interest. If the MG side didn't have that view, they would not say they continued to work on it themselves the passage said about Battle of Sentinel out of frustration.

I looked at everything and is talking about exactly what the passage said about the situation. You are trying to say that "Oh. but Bandai came back at the end so they didn't lose interest." without looking at what happened in the middle.
Last edited by MythSearcher on Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Underrated GM Custom

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:52 am Completely understandable, I still can't remember if it is Supreme or Superior without looking at the sources.
Oh I always thought it was the Superior Gundam, I didn't know about the Supreme (スブリーム.ガンダム) part. Neat.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:26 am
MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:52 am Completely understandable, I still can't remember if it is Supreme or Superior without looking at the sources.
Oh I always thought it was the Superior Gundam, I didn't know about the Supreme (スブリーム.ガンダム) part. Neat.
Yeah it became Superior Gundam, for whatever reason unknown to Model Graphix that Supreme Gundam couldn't register.(neither do Superior Gundam at the beginning until they pushed forward without Bandai)

My wild guess will be some higher ups in Bandai didn't want to have such a superior sounding model coming out to counter their own project CCA's models. Which is more of an experience from a friend who did collaboration projects with Japanese companies and how they worked, so I am not basing this solely on how Bandai works.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:54 am Cancel is the same as end, the result is exactly the same, they no longer work on the project. And their participation was necessary.
Nothing afterwards matters because obviously to the MG side Bandai and it was only working on their own and gaining interest from the public that Bandai is willing to get back to the table and continue doing what they should have done.
Like I said, Bandai lost interest in the middle of the project, at least this is what the MG side view things, thus they say Bandai used the term Pending, but to them it was cancelled/ended.
Whether the interest was rekindled afterwards does not matter to the fact that they did try to withdraw from the project because of lost of interest.
My god, you are so obtuse it's not even funny anymore. Continue being one of those fans that cherrypick certain lines and keep peddling misinformation for everyone. You're exactly the type of person I'm doing this to combat. If Bandai was no longer involved with the project, you sure as hell wouldn't have model kits with their freaking logo printed on them. But now they're withdrawing? Now you're just making even more wild assumptions! IF THEY TRIED WITHDRAWING THEN IT WOULD'VE BEEN STATED AS SUCH. I believe Mark was right when he told you that you read into a lot of things that just aren't there. You're doing that in this case. Here, let me cite it for you with emphasis:
After discussions with Bandai, the project team, which had been preparing, decided to restructure the plan and start serialization as an independent magazine project. This is how “Sentinel” got its start.

After this, and once the product on the market from “Char’s Counterattack” settled down, Bandai proposed putting Sentinel mobile suits on the market to Artbox while considering the launch of the next series.
Learn. To. Read.
If the MG side didn't have that view, they would not say they continued to work on it themselves the passage said about Battle of Sentinel out of frustration.
There is no frustration. He literally says that the entire project was so far along they couldn't put it on hold. Again, stop injecting things that aren't there. He opens the section "Battle of Sentinel" by saying that "it's not fair to harp on the same string over and over here" aka dwell tediously on the same subject. But, YET AGAIN, I refer to exactly what I stated above.
MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:32 am Yeah it became Superior Gundam, for whatever reason unknown to Model Graphix that Supreme Gundam couldn't register.(neither do Superior Gundam at the beginning until they pushed forward without Bandai)
Stop making shit up, dammit. There's nothing that says they "pushed it forward without Bandai." Jesus dude.
My wild guess will be some higher ups in Bandai didn't want to have such a superior sounding model coming out to counter their own project CCA's models. Which is more of an experience from a friend who did collaboration projects with Japanese companies and how they worked, so I am not basing this solely on how Bandai works.
I highly doubt that they'd have an issue with the name considering they came to the table with one thing and one thing only: "the strongest Gundam."
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:43 am
My god, you are so obtuse it's not even funny anymore. Continue being one of those fans that cherrypick certain lines and keep peddling misinformation for everyone. You're exactly the type of person I'm doing this to combat. If Bandai was no longer involved with the project, you sure as hell wouldn't have model kits with their freaking logo printed on them. But now they're withdrawing? Now you're just making even more wild assumptions! IF THEY TRIED WITHDRAWING THEN IT WOULD'VE BEEN STATED AS SUCH. I believe Mark was right when he told you that you read into a lot of things that just aren't there. You're doing that in this case. Here, let me cite it for you with emphasis:
After discussions with Bandai, the project team, which had been preparing, decided to restructure the plan and start serialization as an independent magazine project. This is how “Sentinel” got its start.

After this, and once the product on the market from “Char’s Counterattack” settled down, Bandai proposed putting Sentinel mobile suits on the market to Artbox while considering the launch of the next series.
Learn. To. Read.
If the MG side didn't have that view, they would not say they continued to work on it themselves the passage said about Battle of Sentinel out of frustration.
There is no frustration. He literally says that the entire project was so far along they couldn't put it on hold. Again, stop injecting things that aren't there. He opens the section "Battle of Sentinel" by saying that "it's not fair to harp on the same string over and over here" aka dwell tediously on the same subject. But, YET AGAIN, I refer to exactly what I stated above.
He said it's not fair to harp on the same string over and over because he clearly stated Bandai pulled away from the project in the last paragraph.

You admitted it to be a dick move, and it was pretty well how it was presented in the paragraph. Bandai lost interest in the project and it became a MG only project. Only later Bandai reentered but like the later paragraph said, it was "restarted" in the surface but "realisation" in reality. Meaning the project should have been dead but they did it by going on with the MG only project which made it work and did not rely on anyone else.

Shouting/Putting things in caps won't make you more correct, the fact is from the view point of MG, they obviously thought they needed to "make" Bandai reenter the scene to make products, and if they don't do things their own way, it will not work, so no matter how you try to put it, Bandai wasn't doing anything any more at that point until it became clear that publicity bring it back or MG side was wrong and they didn't have to do anything and Bandai would have joined anyway. You cannot explain any of the paragraphs if Bandai displayed the slightest interest(other than the inaction of not stopping them from continuing on their own) between postponing the project and restarting it.
It makes no sense to say so much about how MG did it on their own to restart the project and how the project wasn't really a restart but a realisation but that didn't really mattered to the general public.

And probably you have to learn to read, not me, if you are bringing up what Mark said, do remember the TB issue and your complete rejection of what exactly said in a paragraph of only a few sentences.(and I was the one who dug out that Hathaway Flash source you claimed to support your view, while it completely doesn't and you still try to insist.)
Stop making ZOINKS up, dammit. There's nothing that says they "pushed it forward without Bandai." Jesus dude.
Sigh, if they restructured the thing into a MG only project, it is obviously pushing it forward without Bandai, because it wouldn't be a MG only project if Bandai is still going along with them.

I did not read between lines, you are trying to avoid words in the lines themselves.
If you cannot take that they did the project on their own, then explain the term "Model Graphix only".
I highly doubt that they'd have an issue with the name considering they came to the table with one thing and one thing only: "the strongest Gundam."
Another wild guess is that the name didn't register may have to do with the original Gundam in CCA was named Hi-S instead, so they may have thought of using S will be a predecessor of Hi-S. Yes, I admit this is my wide guess but Bandai does have some really strange things going on at the time, rejecting Nagano's design and getting Tomino to use another mechanical designer instead with another name for the main Gundam. Which might have influenced the naming and thus Bandai wanted another name for S just because it no longer has that layer of relation. As I don't want to go check the exact timing of when they switched the designer(and most of this is from Nagano's own account), I am going to keep this as only my wild guess.

But the fact is that they rejected both the names Supreme and Superior, for unknown reasons to MG, so obviously they have issues with the name. Why is that the case is completely my guess and it is as good as anyone's.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:41 pmHe said it's not fair to harp on the same string over and over because he clearly stated Bandai pulled away from the project in the last paragraph.
The last thing he says in the Battle of Sentinel section is something like, "It was a snap decision, not a neat start, without anything we could trust or rely on." Nothing in that sentence refers to Bandai pulling away. Again, you're reading too much into it or in this instance making something up.
they obviously thought they needed to "make" Bandai reenter the scene to make products, and if they don't do things their own way, it will not work, so no matter how you try to put it, Bandai wasn't doing anything any more at that point until it became clear that publicity bring it back or MG side was wrong and they didn't have to do anything and Bandai would have joined anyway. You cannot explain any of the paragraphs if Bandai displayed the slightest interest(other than the inaction of not stopping them from continuing on their own) between postponing the project and restarting it.
This is where everyone thinks that MG went rogue and started doing their own thing, which is PRECISELY what Kawaguchi set out to dispel in his article in a future Model Graphix magazine. You can't have one side running off and doing whatever they want with a JOINT project. We don't know a lot about what Bandai did and didn't do outside of that, nor are we even privy to current negotiations with things. Randomly pulling out an issue of MG and low and behold, Sentinel's original run has credits for Sunrise, Bandai, and even Shindosha. Furthermore, there are also inset columns with comments from Sunrise and Bandai staff, so get off your horse that they're not involved with the project already.

You don't believe me? Here's some proof from an inset column where Yoshikazu Komiyama, of Bandai Hobby Division at the time, specifically states (to the effect of), "We are at a point where we are currently reconsidering/re-examining Gundam Sentinel as a "simple Gundam," and are planning the story and setting with some changes to what is currently being developed in MG magazine, including the setting and content."

There's also another inset about how they're evaluating demand for model kits now that CCA buzz has died down. So, yeah, Bandai never left and was still very much involved.
Another wild guess is that the name didn't register may have to do with the original Gundam in CCA was named Hi-S instead, so they may have thought of using S will be a predecessor of Hi-S. Yes, I admit this is my wide guess but Bandai does have some really strange things going on at the time, rejecting Nagano's design and getting Tomino to use another mechanical designer instead with another name for the main Gundam. Which might have influenced the naming and thus Bandai wanted another name for S just because it no longer has that layer of relation. As I don't want to go check the exact timing of when they switched the designer(and most of this is from Nagano's own account), I am going to keep this as only my wild guess.
Again, did you even read anything from the book? They specifically talk about the original naming conventions.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:01 pm
Sigh, let's see what we can agree on first.

What is presented from MG point of view:
1) Bandai approached MG for a collaboration project for "The Strongest Gundam"
2) Supreme and Superior both didn't go through for registration process at the time.
3) Despite MG did some work(lots of it) Bandai put the project to a "pending" status on the grounds of "CCA is developing faster than planned, don't want to have products of the two go together"
4) MG thinks this is functionally "Cancelled" and they can't do anything about it since it is a joint project.
5) MG went ahead with the project themselves, approached Newtype magazine and what they put out was better received than previously.
6) Bandai made injection models after that, which is a sudden move and wasn't what the MG team had any control on.(but they surely hoped that to happen, which is where the completely omitted paragraph about how America's planning system is opposite to Japan's system in Battle of Sentinel comes in where MG thinks it is a battle to get it to commercialised as products became "Facing what seemed like utter defeat" in your translation.)

From MG side of view, they surely thought Bandai backed out of the deal, at least those rants under CCA and Battle of Sentinel showed that they are upset about it, and thus they worked on their own. They though Bandai lost interest in the project, and from the paragraph's use of terms like "cancelled", stressed of "realise" and not a simple "resumed" showed that they didn't think Bandai wanted to go on with the project so they did what they can on their own. This is what you called went rogue, and like I said, yes, maybe Bandai only wanted to postpone the project because of exactly what they gave as a reason, or maybe it was as the article said, they cancelled it.
If the article is correct, then Bandai did lose interest in the project and cancelled it, and only suddenly realised that it could be commercially successful and reentered the scene when things are going well.
Deacon Blues wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:01 pm The last thing he says in the Battle of Sentinel section is something like, "It was a snap decision, not a neat start, without anything we could trust or rely on." Nothing in that sentence refers to Bandai pulling away. Again, you're reading too much into it or in this instance making something up.
Yeah, you only looked at the last sentence. You apparently skipped the whole section about how he rant about the planning system and how the system matters to them since it is in that phase where all of the creativity, time and effort was put in. If he didn't think Bandai pulled away he would not need to say that because everything would and should have worked on as planned.
This is where everyone thinks that MG went rogue and started doing their own thing, which is PRECISELY what Kawaguchi set out to dispel in his article in a future Model Graphix magazine. You can't have one side running off and doing whatever they want with a JOINT project. We don't know a lot about what Bandai did and didn't do outside of that, nor are we even privy to current negotiations with things. Randomly pulling out an issue of MG and low and behold, Sentinel's original run has credits for Sunrise, Bandai, and even Shindosha. Furthermore, there are also inset columns with comments from Sunrise and Bandai staff, so get off your horse that they're not involved with the project already.
The problem is that that article is 12 years later than the original MG article and is talking about another "recent" incident triggered by an issue around 2001 so they are clarifying reproduction of models in Dec 2000. I failed to see why you are trying to relate that to the original incident because obviously the year 1999 was when they started to reintroduce Sentinel into games and models.(for example SD Gundam Generation Zero[1999], HG S Gundam[2001]) so rumours will arise. You probably have to see what previous issue triggered the new rumours and what it was about before you can relate the two.
The original article said they cannot do whatever they want with a joint project but at the time they thought Bandai didn't want to continue the project and their efforts wasted, thus they did it on their own. This is what that particular article gave us, and that is why I keep saying "Bandai lost interest at least in the views of MG side at the time." AND "This may or may not be true but the only information we get is the MG side of things in that article" I also stated in the above "or MG side was wrong and they didn't have to do anything and Bandai would have joined anyway."
You don't believe me? Here's some proof from an inset column where Yoshikazu Komiyama, of Bandai Hobby Division at the time, specifically states (to the effect of), "We are at a point where we are currently reconsidering/re-examining Gundam Sentinel as a "simple Gundam," and are planning the story and setting with some changes to what is currently being developed in MG magazine, including the setting and content."

There's also another inset about how they're evaluating demand for model kits now that CCA buzz has died down. So, yeah, Bandai never left and was still very much involved.
That is something called "Hindsight". Whether it was from Bandai(like what the MG version of the story from that article), or from MG(in which they were wrong about Bandai in that article).
But if you translate the inset column as "reconsidering/re-examining" obviously they had a time where they didn't think it was viable.

Again, did you even read anything from the book? They specifically talk about the original naming conventions.
Yes, and that particular paragraph said clearly that both didn't went through registration process.

You are not viewing things in sequence, you view things only in result without caring for what happened in between. Even your reply here showed that not only MG claimed Bandai cancelled the project, their own inset column claimed they are reconsidering the project, thus they did stop considering it at some point of time. You seem to be completely ignorant of what that means even when you understand every word from the paragraph but can't piece things together when they are a whole.
Mafty

Interesting that Bandai didn't want two competing toy lines at once: yet by the nineties they had multiple different Gundam anime projects (and presumed toylines) running concurrently(ie F91 and Stardust Memory came out within two months of each other while 08th MS Team ran through Gundam X, Endless Waltz and Turn A Gundam), Also that they instited on the three primary colors to make it "like a Gundam" and the Nu Gundam ended up being Black and White with Red and Yellow accents.
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:27 pm
6) Bandai made injection models after that, which is a sudden move and wasn't what the MG team had any control on.(but they surely hoped that to happen, which is where the completely omitted paragraph about how America's planning system is opposite to Japan's system in Battle of Sentinel comes in where MG thinks it is a battle to get it to commercialised as products became "Facing what seemed like utter defeat" in your translation.)
That's not my translation. I mean, for someone who claims to know everything in the article from the book, clearly that should stick out to you. That's the summary point for simplistic emphasis. I didn't omit the paragraph about the planning system, if you bothered to read my damn page, you'd see or was translated further below in detail under the section refuting the claim about the "angry editor."
Yeah, you only looked at the last sentence. You apparently skipped the whole section about how he rant about the planning system and how the system matters to them since it is in that phase where all of the creativity, time and effort was put in. If he didn't think Bandai pulled away he would not need to say that because everything would and should have worked on as planned.
Again, you don't read as that ENTIRE section is again translated further down. Furthermore, you also don't understand the text of the article. He literally says that everything was too far along to put the project on hold, and it was thanks to all of those efforts.
The problem is that that article is 12 years later than the original MG article and is talking about another "recent" incident triggered by an issue around 2001 so they are clarifying reproduction of models in Dec 2000. I failed to see why you are trying to relate that to the original incident because obviously the year 1999 was when they started to reintroduce Sentinel into games and models.(for example SD Gundam Generation Zero[1999], HG S Gundam[2001]) so rumours will arise. You probably have to see what previous issue triggered the new rumours and what it was about before you can relate the two.
Again, you're not bothering to read anything that is outline in that. They're not talking about the models from 2000, they're talking about the GFF line that made some explosive claims that resulted in a fervor or rumors on the Japanese sites and whatnot. They were obviously so bad that he had to step in and dispel everything. I"ll take the time now to point out that a lot of the Japanese site have been peddling the same misinformation about the series as well, so it goes to show that not a lot of people remember this behind-the-scenes thing exists. Either way, despite the age or the timing of the article, Kawaguchi still talks about the Sentinel project in general, BEFORE he addresses the rumors that resulted as a result of the Hobby Japan article. Jesus learn to read.
That is something called "Hindsight". Whether it was from Bandai(like what the MG version of the story from that article), or from MG(in which they were wrong about Bandai in that article).
But if you translate the inset column as "reconsidering/re-examining" obviously they had a time where they didn't think it was viable.

It's not hindsight when it's happening AS the story is being serialized. In the same issue that the Bandai comment is in, Asano has an article talking to the fans. In it, he again brings up the fact that it's been a joint project since the beginning. I don't know how many more times it has to be spelled out that they never left. If they left this project, you have to understand/realize that there wouldn't be anything because they wouldn't be allowed to have a project with the name Gundam on it. Ironically, though, he has to calm the fans down who've apparently still had a bit of difficulty accepting the story as being a part of Gundam history, as they apparently started spinning it off into a parallel world since it was way out there compared to other works before he had to correct them on that.

Oh, and tell me again how Bandai wasn't involved when they had in the July 1987 issues of MG, Bandai Hobby talking about the new series. Bit hard for them to be drumming up support for the series at that point if they "weren't involved."
Yes, and that particular paragraph said clearly that both didn't went through registration process.
Not even what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how they went with Hi-S and dropped the Hi- part.
You are not viewing things in sequence, you view things only in result without caring for what happened in between. Even your reply here showed that not only MG claimed Bandai cancelled the project, their own inset column claimed they are reconsidering the project, thus they did stop considering it at some point of time. You seem to be completely ignorant of what that means even when you understand every word from the paragraph but can't piece things together when they are a whole.
You are literally the only person who has read the article and is failing to understand it. You're the only person pulling connections that aren't there from things. I can go on to pull a multitude of other articles that continue to back up what I originally outlined and clarified on my website, but you'll continue to stubbornly believe the opposite.
Mafty wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:37 am Interesting that Bandai didn't want two competing toy lines at once: yet by the nineties they had multiple different Gundam anime projects (and presumed toylines) running concurrently(ie F91 and Stardust Memory came out within two months of each other while 08th MS Team ran through Gundam X, Endless Waltz and Turn A Gundam), Also that they instited on the three primary colors to make it "like a Gundam" and the Nu Gundam ended up being Black and White with Red and Yellow accents.
They didn't insist on the colors. Katoki just grabbed three colored markers and did that and presented to them to help them shape the image that it really was a Gundam.
Last edited by Deacon Blues on Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Administrator

Ok folks, I think we've exhausted the limits of these quote wars. I don't want to close the topic so that other people can keep discussing it, but this back-and-forth is over.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:37 am Interesting that Bandai didn't want two competing toy lines at once: yet by the nineties they had multiple different Gundam anime projects (and presumed toylines) running concurrently(ie F91 and Stardust Memory came out within two months of each other while 08th MS Team ran through Gundam X, Endless Waltz and Turn A Gundam), Also that they instited on the three primary colors to make it "like a Gundam" and the Nu Gundam ended up being Black and White with Red and Yellow accents.
Ironic because this is what creators want to avoid in FG.
The anime production team originally presented a white and grey Gundam to the sponsors(Clover) hoping for a more realistic design and was told by the sponsors to add the tricolour to it.
And by the time of Sentinel, even the creators themselves didn't find the design to be Gundam(or at least Gundam-like) until they just paint it with tricolour.(and just roughly with markers)

Nu Gundam likely have the advantage of being much more like the original RX-78 by itself without the Fin Funnels, thus changing the blue to a very dark blue(basically black) can still work because people have been familiar with the looks and they already had a LOT of different colour variants for the RX-78.(For example, RX-78-1 already switched to black, white, red.)
Mafty

Also it's worth noting that the Nu Gundam has a variant in the books which depending on the illustration is more in line with the regular tri color design(the Redesigned Hi-ν Gundam is in Blue and White over the original Purple and White to be a bit more like the Gundam MK II).

Also apparently some of the proposed Sentinel designs ended up used in the second half of ZZ(like the EWAC-Zack, Regelgu, Dwadge, and Zaku III.) They don't really look like a lot of the other Neo-Zeon designs (the EWAC-Zack in particular looks like it belongs in Sentinel), and many only make rather brief appearances (the Zaku III's non customized form is only piloted briefly by Rakan and the ReGelgu shows up very close to the end).
Deacon Blues

Mafty wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:01 pm Also apparently some of the proposed Sentinel designs ended up used in the second half of ZZ(like the EWAC-Zack, Regelgu, Dwadge, and Zaku III.) They don't really look like a lot of the other Neo-Zeon designs (the EWAC-Zack in particular looks like it belongs in Sentinel), and many only make rather brief appearances (the Zaku III's non customized form is only piloted briefly by Rakan and the ReGelgu shows up very close to the end).
Those suits weren't proposed Sentinel designs. They were submitted by staff from Model Graphix for a design contest for Gundam ZZ before they were brought on board for the Sentinel project.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:01 pm Also it's worth noting that the Nu Gundam has a variant in the books which depending on the illustration is more in line with the regular tri color design(the Redesigned Hi-ν Gundam is in Blue and White over the original Purple and White to be a bit more like the Gundam MK II).
Well, the MG Ver. Ka Nu already had a lighter coloured chest and the current statue basically had regular tri-colour.
Also apparently some of the proposed Sentinel designs ended up used in the second half of ZZ(like the EWAC-Zack, Regelgu, Dwadge, and Zaku III.) They don't really look like a lot of the other Neo-Zeon designs (the EWAC-Zack in particular looks like it belongs in Sentinel), and many only make rather brief appearances (the Zaku III's non customized form is only piloted briefly by Rakan and the ReGelgu shows up very close to the end).
Those are not Sentinel designs. There was a design contest for ZZ and submissions, similar to GM III where Katoki submitted, was selected but had a head design change.(Nouvel GM III is with the original head design, so technically Nouvel GM III aren't designed for Sentinel.)