The Official Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
PowerdGNFlag

The Official Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Anime Thread Mk I

Official Website

We know a bit more about this other new project: it will be a movie for a 2022 release to be directed by Yas himself.

Still no indication whether it will be related to the five-volume ORIGIN spinoff manga of (almost) the same name that ran in Gundam Ace from 2016 to 2019.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Kuruni

Re: The Official Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Anime Thread Mk I

I wish we get to see the legendary Zaku punch in full HD glory.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:53 am Official Website

We know a bit more about this other new project: it will be a movie for a 2022 release to be directed by Yas himself.

Still no indication whether it will be related to the five-volume ORIGIN spinoff manga of (almost) the same name that ran in Gundam Ace from 2016 to 2019.
People noticed the title logo does not carry "The Origin" in it, so speculating it might be adhering more to the original TV series plot but may adapt it to fit to the current movie canon.
PowerdGNFlag

I have found what I assume to be a screenshot from the presentation earlier which shows the character designs for both Amuro and Doan; which is almost-certainly ORIGIN-inspired to say the least.
MythSearcher

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:26 am I have found what I assume to be a screenshot from the presentation earlier which shows the character designs for both Amuro and Doan; which is almost-certainly ORIGIN-inspired to say the least.
Well, considering Yasuhiko is the director, character designs would very likely be what his liking or even by himself.
The thing about it not carrying ORIGIN in the title might be an indication of it not being viewed as an alternative timeline but a part of canon where the movie excluded.
Mafty

It might be more tied toward the manga anyway. The manga ran for several volumes over several years; and it seems like there would be more storyline for a movie in that, than in a half hour episode. Or it could mix elements from both together. What was the Cucuruz Doan manga's storyline anyway?
Chris
Administrator

I don't know that Yas would base anything off someone else's work, especially since he'd an old-timer who worked on MSG. I would have to imagine that any movie about Cucuruz Doan would start with him in the military and partaking in some big battles from early in the OYW, then showing the incident that leads to him staying with those kids.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
bhayes82

Well. Looks like this is as close we'll ever get to a remake of the old series in Origin Style which is cool by me.

Does anyone know the major differences between the recent Manga Remake and the 1979 episode ??
Deacon Blues

bhayes82 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:20 pm Well. Looks like this is as close we'll ever get to a remake of the old series in Origin Style which is cool by me.

Does anyone know the major differences between the recent Manga Remake and the 1979 episode ??
The manga isn't a remake of the episode. It, ironically, doesn't deal that awful much with Doan. It's mainly about his former teammates. You find out why he deserted sporadically throughout the five volumes with the major info dump coming from his brother before the final battle at A Baoa Qu.
bhayes82

Deacon Blues wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:10 am
bhayes82 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:20 pm Well. Looks like this is as close we'll ever get to a remake of the old series in Origin Style which is cool by me.

The manga isn't a remake of the episode. It, ironically, doesn't deal that awful much with Doan. It's mainly about his former teammates. You find out why he deserted sporadically throughout the five volumes with the major info dump coming from his brother before the final battle at A Baoa Qu.
ah. so is that why they show two protype gundams (black & white) in the manga cause they're 'chasing' Doan and his zaku team? very interesting.

what would be interesting is if they take aspects of both and add new things to the film.
Kuruni

I'm far lesd choosy. As long as they include this scene , I will csll the movie great.
My girlfriend was a loli.
PowerdGNFlag

Official site has been updated with new key visual, crew listings, and a new PV (Youtube is region-locked; you might have better luck with Twitter) and screenshots featuring the good ol' RX-78-02.
Mafty

Cool, it's nice to finally get a bit of info on the film, the animation looks amazing. That being said; its still not clear whether its going to be an expansion of the episode(which seems kinda hard to expand to feature length) an adaptation of the manga(which would seem to have a lot more material to adapt) a mix of both, or something new altogether. The visual appears to show that Cucuruz seems to have his own custom Zaku( I can't tell from the image if Cucuruz's Zaku is supposed to be black, or stylized green), so maybe its a manga adaptation.
Underrated GM Custom

I'm guessing it will focus on the manga storyline that Yas wrote with some minor adaptations to translate it into film.
Chris
Administrator

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:05 pm I'm guessing it will focus on the manga storyline that Yas wrote with some minor adaptations to translate it into film.
It's not based on the manga, and also Yas didn't write it.
yazi88

Also despite that Doan Origin manga named after him.... doesn't have too much to do with him...

Some of the story is before he got to the island... the rest being about his former squadmates...
Underrated GM Custom

My mistake then. I was interested in reading the Doan's Island manga someday but if it's not written by Yas I don't think it would be as compelling as the rest of the saga.
Chris
Administrator

I haven't read it, but I know it's mostly not even about him, despite the name. A lot of it is about what happened to his former team after he deserted.
Underrated GM Custom

Looks like Doan's Island has a release date of June 03rd 2022. They also posted some artwork as well. https://twitter.com/g_cucuruzdoan/statu ... 0956144644
PowerdGNFlag

The cast list has also been updated, with the following:

Reprising from original anime:
-Toru Furuya as Amuro
-Toshio Furukawa as Kai

Reprising from Unicorn:
-Ken Narita as Bright

Reprising from The ORIGIN:
-Hideaki Nakanishi as Hayato
-Megumi Han as Sayla
-Misato Nakuen as Fraw Bow