Muv Luv Alternative?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Muv Luv Alternative?

So what are everyone's thoughts? It seems like this series will not follow up on the characters from Total Eclipse or Schwarzesmarken, but is an adaptation of characters from the original game series. How closely have the anime followed the games so far? Will the series stream outside Japan?
yazi88

Re: Muv Luv Alternative?

Muv Luv Alternative game is available in English. You can get it on Steam and PS Vita.

Total Eclipse and Schwarzmarken are the spin-offs of Muv Luv Alternative. It just took a long time for the main series itself to be adapted.

It is airing this October.
Underrated GM Custom

I watched Kimi Ga Nozomo Eien back in the days of dial up, heard it had a super robot pseudo-sequel and laughed it off at the time thinking it was a joke. Now Muv-Luv Alternative is around the corner, so I guess I'll have to read up on how a typical romantic drama segued into a mecha series.
Mafty

I have seen the first two anime's, but I haven't played the games. The storyline is quite interesting and both series have a large cast filled with interesting and well developed characters, hopefully this season will follow in that.

As to the storyline itself(SPOILERS) ; the series starts off as a very dark love drama H-Game ,Kimi Ga Nozomo Eien, which was later followed by Muv-Luv (the works aren't really connected, but apparently share some characters); which itself starts off as a High School Dating Sim, then in it's second game the main character is transported to an alternate reality with giant Mechs and insect like alien invaders called Beta have taken over most of the world, from here it's still a Dating Sim, just one with a Military angle.
Henyo

I've been seeing a lot of Hype around this title. is the main title/game really that good?
all i know/watched are the spin off animes. and i was pretty MEH with those two. outside of those spin offs, all that stuck to my memory was thats its an Eroge and the mechs are named after Fighter planes.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
yazi88

Chances are if you didn't like those 2 you probably won't like this one cause those have similar tones to this.
Mafty

Well now the anime is streaming on Crunchyroll in October. The animation looks great especially with the Tactical Surface Fighters. No word yet on episode count. Hopefully the streaming will mean they'll bring more Muv-Luv Mecha Models internationally.
PowerdGNFlag

Mafty wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:34 am Well now the anime is streaming on Crunchyroll in October. The animation looks great especially with the Tactical Surface Fighters. No word yet on episode count. Hopefully the streaming will mean they'll bring more Muv-Luv Mecha Models internationally.
From the looks of it Kotobukiya still has the Muv Luv model kit license and is reprinting their 1/144 line from 2011 starting this October.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:36 am I watched Kimi Ga Nozomo Eien back in the days of dial up, heard it had a super robot pseudo-sequel and laughed it off at the time thinking it was a joke. Now Muv-Luv Alternative is around the corner, so I guess I'll have to read up on how a typical romantic drama segued into a mecha series.
I have read some of the manga of Alternative pretty long ago(but it was during the serialisation and unfortunately, I haven't read the ending), I have no idea what happened in the prequels, but the story with mecha basically starts in Unlimited, which is the second half of Muv-Luv.
Spoiler
They got stuck in a parallel world where alien monsters BETA(Beings of the Extra Terrestrial origin which is Adversary of human race) invaded and the whole world was fighting against them for a while now, losing with heavy casualties. They have no hope of winning unless they destroy the nest of the monsters, while they also have no hope in doing. So while they are fighting off waves and waves of monsters with lesser and lesser resources.
You can find a timeline on the Japanese wikipedia entry.

I find it fun that the story got the idea that since that world never got to develop video games, their tactical fighters do not have the idea of using commands like in fighting games and are piloted quite manually until the MC brought the idea to the world and tested it out.(which is basically the idea of motion modules in Gundam)
I particularly like that they have a much more reasonably realistic development time and they don't just take the MC's words for granted. They doubted the feasibility of the motion module and thinks that the idea will make the machines less controllable(which is true since it is trading controllability for ease of control.) so they tested it before implementing it to everything.
PowerdGNFlag wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:04 pm
Mafty wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:34 am Hopefully the streaming will mean they'll bring more Muv-Luv Mecha Models internationally.
From the looks of it Kotobukiya still has the Muv Luv model kit license and is reprinting their 1/144 line from 2011 starting this October.
Be aware that Kotobukiya models at the time aren't really good quality snap builds like Bandai models and the plastic they used back in those days are quite weak against some paint thinners and will crack when paint.
While they likely will use better plastic on reprints, you probably want to make sure you are buying the reprints and not the left overs from 2011, and if you plan to paint them, test the paint on the runners first.
Mafty

Well the first episode has aired and it's awesome. Basically the entire thing is an enormous battle; and both the design of the mechs and the TSF are very well done, especially as the animation studios are slightly more obscure. You don't really need to have played the VN to understand the story, especially if you've watched the previous anime. So what does everyone else think of the first episode?
Kyuzo Aoi

I watched the episode, not to expect one of Sagiri's allies to be the viewpoint character.
Spoiler
It's clear that the gore and carnage in the first episode have truly affected Komaki.
I am a Gundam!
Mafty

Definitely (SPOILERS) It follows a similar path to Total Eclipse. In that it flips around view point characters into a massive, and ultimately lost battle against the BETA. It really seems to take influence from both the Starship Troopers movie and Blue Gender in terms of content(characters dying left and right, futuristic miltary armor against terrifying alien insects, extreme violence etc), who knows maybe they were an influence on the VN. Also does anyone know how many cours this will be. Total Eclipse was 2 and Schwarsesmarken was 1. Hopefully it will be longer in order to flesh out the story.