Speculating what happened to Char between 0089 and 0091

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
False Prophet

Speculating what happened to Char between 0089 and 0091

IMHO the thought of creating Neo Zeon was not in Char's mind when he escaped the Hyaku Shiki. He probably thought to just lay low for a while and see where things would go. (Char has always been an opportunist. Just look at the way he took his time to kill the Zabis.) This is when things went south.

Anyone noticed how fast AEUG and Karaba were weakened right after the Gryps War? Operation Maelstorm and whatever happened on Earth at the time did deplete them a lot, but even then they became feeble to quickly for imagination. That led me to two speculations

- Haman has a pretty big network of spy in the colonies, on Earth and even Anaheim to root out anyone supporting the AEUG and Karaba.

- The Earth Federation sold them out along with the rest of the Earth. They did this not just to save their sorry lives, but also because they feared AEUG and Karaba had become too powerful and popular (a fear that would transfer to the Londo Bell). The Titans' old allies in the government might have had thought that allying with Neo Zeon was safer than waiting for Karaba to get them.

The point I am confused is that after witnessing the brutality of Neo Zeon and the betrayal of the Earth Federation, did Char concluded that:

- There is no hope working to change the Earth Federation from the inside, so I'll just create my own organization (pragmatic pessimism)?

or

- There is no hope for any political or military change, so I will have to force everyone to change into Newtypes first (idealistic pesimism.)?
Seto Kaiba

Re: Speculating what happened to Char between 0089 and 0091

False Prophet wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:27 am Anyone noticed how fast AEUG and Karaba were weakened right after the Gryps War? Operation Maelstorm and whatever happened on Earth at the time did deplete them a lot, but even then they became feeble to quickly for imagination.
The AEUG and Karaba folded as quickly as they did because they were paramilitary organizations nowhere near as well equipped or supported as a national military, and the attrition that came from fighting the Titans and Haman Karn's Neo Zeon took quite a toll on both of them. Both organizations were folded into the EFF as Londo Bell very soon after the conflict ended.

(The AEUG faction in particular is noted to have lost a lot of its steam with the assassination of its ideological leader Blex Forer. Once he died and his successor Char Aznable vanished, most of the AEUG's influence faded.)

False Prophet wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:27 am The point I am confused is that after witnessing the brutality of Neo Zeon and the betrayal of the Earth Federation, did Char concluded that:

- There is no hope working to change the Earth Federation from the inside, so I'll just create my own organization (pragmatic pessimism)?

or

- There is no hope for any political or military change, so I will have to force everyone to change into Newtypes first (idealistic pesimism.)?
Char/Casval is not exactly what you would call a mentally stable or especially well-balanced person... so his intent may not necessarily be a logical one.

That said, given what's noted about the changes in the AEUG's sociopolitical agenda following the assassination of Blex Forer, it seems likely that Char was overcome by despair as the organization he saw as the current best hope for a reformation of the Earth Federation government into something that respected the wishes of the spacenoid populace and sought to restore the Earth fade as the organization became more heavily influenced by its backers like Anaheim Electronics and the Carbine family. Char's Neo Zeon seems to have been taking a more destructive approach to the same basic goal of allowing Earth's natural environment to recover without humanity and giving spacenoids more of a voice in governance by simply destroying the Earth Federation government and creating a new one instead of trying to reform the existing government.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

Definitly towards the end of ZZ you can even see the AEUG leadership (not Bright mind you) becoming as listless and self important as the Federation ( eg, they leave Haman/Side 3 alone, then take credit for what the main characters do at the end).

On another note, how long after the war were Karaba/AEUG made into Londo Bell?
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:42 am On another note, how long after the war were Karaba/AEUG made into Londo Bell?
21 March UC 0090... so approximately 1 year, 2 months, and 4 days from the official end of the First Neo Zeon War on 17 January UC 0089.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...