The Official Gundam SEED FREEDOM Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BrentD15

Re: New Gundam Seed project; sequel movie, manga and more

Mafty wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:11 am Interesting Kuwashima has actually voiced three seperate characters in CE works (Stellar, Fllay, Natarle), so at first I'd wonder if she'd voice a new character ( Seiyuu in Gundam frequently voice different characters across series). But if Stellar really is coming back then maybe it would be some kind of Ple 12 Unicorn clone situation.

(SPOILER)

Since Stellar died it would be kinda cheesy to bring her back like Mu and Andy, so I'd hope they go the clone route.
Would that mean Ghost Stella would get jealous?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Melchior

Lol, yes surely "Ghost Stella" haunting Shinn is the most likely reason she's appearing in the movie.
Mafty

Seeing as this is Gundam that's always a possibility (SPOILER like Quess in Hathways Flash). Though in this case Stellar had no unfinished business when she was last seen as a spirit in Seed Destiny so who knows what will happen.

Also hope that there are at least cameo appearances from the expanded universe characters (The Junk Guild, Serpent Tail, Sven and Selene, Ed The Ripper etc). It wouldn't work for them to take over the movie, but they could sneak in their mecha in shots (Like Isamu from Macross Plus having a cameo in the Frontier movie). Plus if the antagonist is the Librarian Works there'd be a good reason to bring everyone in.
pirx

Maybe they will get to finally explain about "space whale" because it was brought up for a moment and then completely abandoned.
Underrated GM Custom

Gundam SEED IV: The Voyage Home
Starring space whales and nuclear wessels :lol: well after the N-Jammer Cancellers have been installed.

Honestly if the SEED movie completely diverts from previous entries and focuses on something new in the SEED universe, even space whales, that may turn out really well for the longevity of the series. Gives them something different to explore rather than rehashing the same themes.
pirx

Main wishes: NO clip show episodes and absolutely NO Gundamjacks of any kind!
SEED made absolute ridicule of Gundamjacks, while in Zeta that was a carefully planned event in SEED, especially in Destiny it became a farce, you just walk in into secret R&D military base, shoot everyone (about 10 soldiers), jump in Gundam and away you go! No biometric authentications, no lock keys, nothing. Anyone who enters Gundam can move it.
In GundamX Garrod was only able to steal Gundam because he had an activation key/handle.
Chris
Administrator

pirx wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:21 am Main wishes: NO clip show episodes and absolutely NO Gundamjacks of any kind!
SEED made absolute ridicule of Gundamjacks, while in Zeta that was a carefully planned event in SEED, especially in Destiny it became a farce, you just walk in into secret R&D military base, shoot everyone (about 10 soldiers), jump in Gundam and away you go! No biometric authentications, no lock keys, nothing. Anyone who enters Gundam can move it.
In GundamX Garrod was only able to steal Gundam because he had an activation key/handle.
1. There's no "clip show episodes" because this a movie that's being made, not a TV show.
2. Gundamjacks were already ridiculous long before SEED/DESTINY. Gundam 0083 had Gato just waltz into an EFF base by virtue of wearing a uniform, no ID to show, and he walked right up to the GP02A without attracting any notice and was in the process of stealing it before Kou noticed something was wrong.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
pirx

Being movie does not exclude some sort of clip show in the beginning like "characters reminiscence previous events" or "previously in SEED world this happened" or some other of sort. I honestly hope that does not happen.
I know scene from 0083 but in my opinion scene from Destiny still takes 1st place as the most ridiculuous and unbelievable Gundamjack performed.
I hope that SEED movie goes into some new direction, not the "Alliance vs ZAFT" 3rd time.
Mafty

The Gundamjack plan in Destiny in theory , is more logical than others. Storming the base guns a blazing does have the element of surprise, as does the trio blasting all the new weaponry of the enemy in their newest strongest base in space. Not only have ZAFT lost three prototype units, a vast majority of their forces are in shambles or destroyed outright. Even the incognito aspect makes a bit more sense seeing as the trio were aided by traitors from ZAFT, somewhat skirting the issue of infiltration. Compare this to SEED where a pop idol and some guy no one has seen before stroll into a a hanger with a new military prototype...

That being said I agree that there should definitely be more protocols in place on the base itself. I've never been on a military base, so I'm not sure how protocols go. However it seems like they'd probably ID everyone who was entering a building on the base, not just assume they belong there. Also there are different levels of clearance for different buildings, not everyone can just go everywhere. Especially seeing as how the trio are wearing civilian clothing; serious there infiltrating an enemy stronghold, and nobody thought to give them uniforms?

Also like Prix said why don't mobile suits start with a Bio Test? Often the protagonist ends up locked in as the pilot of the unit through some nebulous computer program. So why don't they merely have the assigned pilot Bio-Linked to the unit, and guard that pilot like a hawk...
John-Luck Pickerd

Guys, I don't think you can find an ignition key slot in a F18 either... and tying machines to specific pilots are even worse then just have a key that can at least be produced in several examples.

Both 0083, Destiny, and whatever gundam that features hijacking rely on a degree of suspension of disbelief; not many people have stolen expensive military hardware to be able to show us what an actual successful hijacking entails. So these scenarios are always going to be "unrealistic" if you are determined to find it as such.

Hell, from the instances of people that did actually managed to take some military hardware for a joyride... its probably not as hard as many people thinks.
Dark Duel

Continuing the hijacking tangent, that's one thing I thought one series did that was kinda neat: The G-Controller, in X. It's a universal standard, so any G-Con will work in any mobile suit built with compatibility in mind...but the mobile suit can't be started without one.

It's sort of a shame the idea was never used again.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kuruni

Well, only three people can pilot the G-Self (Bellri and Aida since they're Rayhunton, and Raraiya who's assigned as its official pilot). We even see an attemp to hijack it fail.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Underrated GM Custom

John-Luck Pickerd wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:20 pm Hell, from the instances of people that did actually managed to take some military hardware for a joyride... its probably not as hard as many people thinks.
Yep, some of our old equipment had a 'battle switch' to turn it on, no key or anything required. It's a necessity since sometimes that equipment needs to be moved in a contingency and you won't always have the operator or key on hand when you need it. You could disable the switch by removing the internal battery though.

As for the case of Gato, while we do have F-35s in backwater bases for example, they do come with enough security that you can't just walk into those specific hangers even in uniform. For 0083 it's a different case since they were moving secret weapons temporarily into a backwater base.

It's not uncommon when another unit comes in for an exercise to share hanger space with an existing unit. I wouldn't be surprised if the Albion was taking over someone's hanger so having other pilots walking around is not out of the ordinary; even if they've been told it's off limits you'll still get people like Kou who want to see the shiny new vehicle up close or talk shop with the mechanics. That's my experience having both worked in and visited large hangers during exercises. Should the Base CO have restricted all access to that building and posted double security watches? You bet. Do mistakes and oversights like that happen, yep!
Dark Duel wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 pm Continuing the hijacking tangent, that's one thing I thought one series did that was kinda neat: The G-Controller, in X. It's a universal standard, so any G-Con will work in any mobile suit built with compatibility in mind...but the mobile suit can't be started without one.

It's sort of a shame the idea was never used again.
Agreed, the G-Con is a great idea for super prototypes with only one intended operator. I'm surprised we don't see them more often, or even just a passcode login system.
Mafty

It seemed like the shared hangar may have been a thing at Armory One as well, or more accurately sharing the base. Armory One seems to be a new colony (it doesn't follow Roman naming convention for one), and is stocked with not only a new ship, but new Gundams, and the new mass produced MS. Despite this most of the weaponry used was from the previous war(unless they made new versions of the old designs). Suggesting the surviving material was transported to the new colony/base, rather than replacing everything with the GuAIZ-R/ZAKU.
pirx

I agree that watching any anime requires suspension of disbelief as Pickerd said, sometimes a lof of suspension :mrgreen:
anything DragonBall for example :mrgreen:

There is another way of identifying pilots - but it is unique to the G Gundam universe. Mobile Trace System seems to be uniquely tied to the operator so that only Domon himself and Rain obviously (being chief technician) can move it. But that did not stop some kid to stroll into God Gundam's cockpit and mobile trace system began to generate suit arround it, thus accepting him as a pilot? I mean... really?

But since Gundams pride themselves into being "real robot" show asking writers to adjust Gundamjacking a bit would be too much? I understand that for teenagers it seems cool - running in, guns blazing, but would it be too much to ask for something like we have in real world? Meaning - not stealing hardware itself but elaborate spy job to obtain vehicle schematics/blueprints and building their own version. That kind of Gundamjack would be a welcome change.

Regarding SEED movie itself - WHY now? SEED was released in 2002-2003 and Destiny 2004-2005 with HD remasters in 2011 and 2013 respectively. 8 years have passed - how much interest public will have? 00 movie was released about a year after series ended. Just wondering...
Kuruni

pirx wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:20 am I agree that watching any anime requires suspension of disbelief as Pickerd said, sometimes a lof of suspension :mrgreen:
anything DragonBall for example :mrgreen:
I suggest to watch Pop Team Epic. It break the reallity so hard that you'll just throw away disbelief and accept thatit's in completely different realities to our.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mafty

I've often wondered why there aren't more "copied" Gundams than stolen Gundams, we even had a thread on it last summer. It would be interesting to see more Zeon inspired Gundams, especially since they could just outbid the Federation at Anaheim to get them. Then again it could be a pride thing for Zeon to refuse to use anything connected to the Gundam, the symbol of their enemy.

Really the closest we get is probably the Gundam Legilis from AGE...

As for the movie; it seemed to be in pre-production after the end of SEED Destiny; it was understandably delayed after Chiaki Morisawa fell ill and ultimately passed away. I'm not sure what exactly spurred interest in it after all these years; but there does seems to be a revived interest in the CE in general now, and it will be neat to see what comes of it.
Underrated GM Custom

pirx wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:20 am But since Gundams pride themselves into being "real robot" show asking writers to adjust Gundamjacking a bit would be too much? I understand that for teenagers it seems cool - running in, guns blazing, but would it be too much to ask for something like we have in real world? Meaning - not stealing hardware itself but elaborate spy job to obtain vehicle schematics/blueprints and building their own version. That kind of Gundamjack would be a welcome change.

Regarding SEED movie itself - WHY now? SEED was released in 2002-2003 and Destiny 2004-2005 with HD remasters in 2011 and 2013 respectively. 8 years have passed - how much interest public will have? 00 movie was released about a year after series ended. Just wondering...
Y'know I had forgotten about G-Gundam's system, that probably is the best we've seen so far for pilot authentication.

The 0083 Rebellion Manga does add a few more background scenes on how Zeon stole the intel about the Gundam's being developed, it also includes LCDR Miller, from 08th MS Team to investigate a potential inside job. It's not a full on spy story but it does add to the story while including some fun cameos along the way. A Gundam sidestory that's a heist or spy thriller ending in a Gundam Jack could be really interesting. The Plot to Assassinate Gihren shows it can be done and be very well received.

As for SEED, 2022 is the 20 year anniversary so corporate probably decided the movie needs to come out. As Mafty mentions it's been in production for a while and losing a main creator/writer will have a significant impact on its progress.
pirx

Thanks for the info guys! :D Good to know reasoning behind the movie.
Mafty

So how far in the Timeline do you think the movie will be set? I was reading an old thread about the CE Timeline; its a long thread, but the main point is that its vague as to the period the events occur (Ie how long is SEED Destiny set over?).

I'd guess about CE 74-75; it seems like a couple of years later would be enough time to introduce new characters and settings, assuming of course they don't just adapt one of the existing manga's.