Opinions on non-UC spinoff material

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DragoMaster009

Opinions on non-UC spinoff material

I was inspired by a couple recent posts and I was just wondering what are the various opinions on this site about any and all non-UC spinoff material?

To be more specific, I'm talking about stuff like SEED Astray, Glory of Losers, Under the Moonlight, 00I, etc.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Opinions on non-UC spinoff material

To be honest, I find a lot of it unnecessary... the non-UC shows tend to have something resembling an actual ending to their stories. I find the spinoffs and such dilute the closure of those endings somewhat and I find most of them pretty difficult to enjoy.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yazi88

Depends on the work. I enjoyed Under the Moonlight. 00F was interesting. But they tend to be hit or miss like various UC manga.

Plenty of stinkers in UC manga too.
Mafty

I'd like to see more CE spinoffs. The world they present is quite interesting and well fleshed out for an AU (which cause they only last a season often can't flesh out the world as much as the UC). The Astray series has a cast of really cool characters and mechs; plus as we go on we get new settings and factions, such as Mars and the Librarian Works.
yazi88

No. The Astray spin-offs get dumber and more convoluted with each new release. Its up there with the stupidity of Crossbone. Destiny Astray was the last good one.
DragoMaster009

Let me guess the initial advantages and disadvantages of each series (before you actually read each entry and figure out what they're really are like beneath all the hype): Crossbone has interesting mecha designs, but has trouble drawing humans besides defaulting to a few standard designs while Astray has a lot of differently designed humans, but the author just decides to slap a new paintjob and a few new bells and whistles for each mech and call it a day?
MythSearcher

yazi88 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:20 pm No. The Astray spin-offs get dumber and more convoluted with each new release. Its up there with the stupidity of Crossbone. Destiny Astray was the last good one.
I'd say CE is at an disadvantage because the period covering the main anime stories is very short compared to UC(even if not counting late UC) and obviously there are much less room to fit in random irregulars.

Talking about stupidity, if Baster Mari is the top of the scale at a 10, what do you think Crossbone and Steel 7 gets?
DragoMaster009

...I'm guessing that you don't want to discuss either Skull Heart or Ghost?
Mafty

Well apparently there is a new "project" of some kind concerning the CE era due out later this year. So I guess we'll see how this turns out now.