The Official Untitled Legendary Live Action Gundam Movie Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

The Official Untitled Legendary Live Action Gundam Movie Thread Mk I

Starting a new thread, since it's been two years or so since there's been any word on this. But I found an article with a bit of news on the project last night:
Jordan Vogt-Roberts To Direct ‘Gundam’ Live-Action Movie From Legendary & Netflix

I'm...cautiously optimistic. I really enjoyed Kong: Skull Island, and Brian K. Vaughan's an award-winning writer in comics; plus I've read some stuff he's written, and they've ranked pretty highly among the better comics I've read. Looking forward to seeing what those two can do.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Seto Kaiba

Re: Legendary live-action Gundam movie news

All right, here comes G-Saviour 2...
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

Well hopefully it turns out well. Jordan Vogt-Roberts is apparently a Gundam fan (and his Twitter seems to support this). Plus Legendary did great work on the Pacific Rim films; so at the very least they will look much better than G-Saviour, hopefully the story works out as well...
AGF-Antoine

It is confirmed on Netflix's Twitter, that it will be a digital stream release.
And also confirms everything else from the first post of this topic.

I don't think Bandai will let history repeat itself, after the backlash of G-Saviour in the past.
Kyuzo Aoi

Did they say the setting is during Hathaway's Flash or something?
I am a Gundam!
Chris
Administrator

Nothing at all has been said about the setting of this movie.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
pirx

Re: The Official Untitled Legendary Live Action Gundam Movie Thread Mk I

Let Ryan Johnsson direct it, we all need a dose of "subverting expectations"
BrentD15

Does that mean that Bandai will actually try to support the film and make it a good one?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Mafty

Hopefully. Legendary did great work on the Pacific Rim films and their special effects; so if they get a good writer and a competent director (Vogt-Roberts seems to be a good match as he mentioned being a fan of Gundam), then the film should probably turn out well.
bhayes82

in all fairness. G-savior is basically like a Sci-Fi Channel exclusive film. bad acting, low budget, ps2 cinematic quality effects. i've seen Ps3 games with better CGI than what we saw in G savior.

with this NEW film - the hardest part will be to make the idea of the space colonies, the politics, spacenoids, newtypes, gundams, guntanks, zakus - its all got to make sense from a technical stand point. so legnedary needs to hire a strong team of designers and VFX people and make it all make sense to the uninitiated. if they can pull that off they've won half the battle. it will be hard. its not just about giant robots.

i think Gundam Origin tried to bring more realisim / and modern influences into gundam so that's a good starting point.

but it must have similartiies to the original series but not be identical. there are certian aspects of gundam that don't translate well into live action

cause the idea of a mobile suit actually doesn't make any sense in a real life combat situation. so the success of this hinges on them finding some really smart technical designers, the BEST VFX people in the business and then the best writers and then finally the cast.

it's gonna be hard. they need to take their time and get it all down right.
Mafty

Legendary aside CGI Giant Robots are improving; Look at Transformers and also The new Power Rangers movie(I know that those movies had their issues, but at least the effects looked cool). For space colonies we have movies like Elysium and Space Sweepers ( which had a fair but slightly lower budget compared to other Sci Fi Movies) that show space colonies can be rendered believably.
The two issues are one the proposed budget(the effects on those movies aren't cheap) and as bbhayes said the story. I do think that the Gundam war story (ie the issues of war, and greyness in conflict) can work in the wider medium. Star Trek tackles similar issues and it is obviously doing quite well. I just hope they don't radically alter Gundams core themes for the movie...
tHeWasTeDYouTh

bhayes82 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:01 pm in all fairness. G-savior is basically like a Sci-Fi Channel exclusive film. bad acting, low budget, ps2 cinematic quality effects. i've seen Ps3 games with better CGI than what we saw in G savior.
G Savior had a budget of 10 million if I remember correctly. Show never had a chance but we at least got some really awesome designs like the G-Savior and MW Raid. The G-Savior PS2 game has a lot of easter eggs from past Gundam shows and that is nice I guess.

I have zero expectations for the new Gundam live action movie and personally I think it is a waste of time and money. The money could be spent making more Gundam anime shows, movies and manga.

If Legendary is able to pull it off and make movie that is at least as good as Pacific Rim 1 then I will turn into a true believer and will support future live action.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Kuruni

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:32 pm If Legendary is able to pull it off and make movie that is at least as good as Pacific Rim 1 then I will turn into a true believer and will support future live action.
...for some reason, yourpost make me wonder if Bandai should contact The Asylum and make it as good as Atlantic Rim instead.
My girlfriend was a loli.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Kuruni wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 am
tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:32 pm If Legendary is able to pull it off and make movie that is at least as good as Pacific Rim 1 then I will turn into a true believer and will support future live action.
...for some reason, yourpost make me wonder if Bandai should contact The Asylum and make it as good as Atlantic Rim instead.
I just want that one set they have to be used for everything. would be amazing
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Underrated GM Custom

I hadn't heard of Atlantic Rim before so I looked it up. Hooo boy, glad I missed that one.

I'm interested to see what Legendary can pull off with the Live Action Gundam series. Pacific Rim 1 worked so well because Guillermo Del Toro and the staff were big Mecha fans, in addition to the homages they ensured that the giant mechs moved like, well giant mechs. Their was a significant weight behind their motions and their fights that was completely missing from Pacific Rim 2 due to some star-power meddling.

Cautiously optimistic on the live action film.
Kuruni

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:13 am I hadn't heard of Atlantic Rim before so I looked it up. Hooo boy, glad I missed that one.
Try look up Transmorphers, Mega Hark vs Colossus,, and Mega Shark vs Mecha Shark :wink: .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Underrated GM Custom

Ho hoh, those sound like a bit of fun. The wife loves MST3K, perhaps we'll give one of these a shot.
BrentD15

I just want a good Gundam live-action movie.
But Gundam movies are hard to pull off next to anime series and OVAs.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Mafty

Well Netflix has just unveiled concept art of the film; it looks impressive, hopefully the film works out. I agree with Brent in that a Gundam movie (ie self contained with the time allotted) would be kinda hard to pull off. F91 is really the only stand alone Gundam movie we ever got and it didn't exactly work very well.
Mafty

Okay this is actually an older article (from June) from Den of Geek, but apparently Vogt-Roberts is going to have shout outs to numerous different timelines, while still making the film accessible to newcomers. Furthermore a newer article points out Vogt-Roberts has dropped hints that the movie may be tied to the Federation-Zeon Conflict(s), and that Tomino will be involved in some capacity.