86 Anime.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

86 Anime.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this adaptation? The trailer looks awesome and it has cool mecha designs. I've heard that it a rather popular Light Novel series, so I was wondering who else has read it?
yazi88

Re: 86 Anime.

I have read it. Its pretty solid. Although quite grim. Also some supernatural aspects too given there are espers here.

The main character Shin, is one of them as he can hear voices of the dead due to his grim past. The mecha are spider-tanks but are cannon fodder and have crappy armor. The main character Shin is already a ace pilot but he and his team have to put up using very crappy units.

Volume 7 comes out in English later this week.
Henyo

yazi88 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:59 am I have read it. Its pretty solid. Although quite grim. Also some supernatural aspects too given there are espers here.

The main character Shin, is one of them as he can hear voices of the dead due to his grim past. The mecha are spider-tanks but are cannon fodder and have crappy armor. The main character Shin is already a ace pilot but he and his team have to put up using very crappy units.

Volume 7 comes out in English later this week.
so, how much mecha action is in the series? lots? or is it like Heavy Object where the mech action is somewhat far and between(least from what i can remember.)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Mafty

I've only read two volumes. Volume 1 is very action heavy(though it still has a decent amount of backstory and character development). Volume 2 is more character focused though it still has some actions scenes, and Volume 3 seems like it'll be back to action. So its probably about a half and half of action and drama. Also I have have no idea how many episodes the show is going to have as of this point. Not that many mecha shows have 50 episodes any more, and Light Novel adaptations have even less still. So it depends on how far the show goes into the storyline.
yazi88

Most of the volumes have a lot of action. Although there is some build up and cool down periods every now and then.
yazi88

Its been some time since the thread was updated.

Anyone watching this show?

The production values are great. Although its definitely slower than I expected as this whole 1st cour will be based on volume 1 alone. But its following the novel quite well.

The combat scenes are awesome especially seeing how much of a badass Shin is, he truly earned the nickname UNDERTAKER.
Mafty

I agree that its a great series particularly with the mech designs and battles, though it is a bit slower at times than I'd thought it'd be. The plot really gets into high gear in the later part of Volume 1 so I'm glad that this cour will cover all of that. Does anyone know how many cour's this is supposed to get?
yazi88

2 Cours. Apparently season 1 will end with 11 episodes. 2nd Cour will air in October.
Henyo

i'm watching it. am enjoying the concepts and the non humanoid mecha unit is refreshing. will they get better units later on? speaking of later on, what part of the story will the adaptation likely end on?

i've seen an article or two about the themes of the show. was from ANN i think. are they on point or is it like some anime articles on current year where peeps just complain/say stuff that isn't even in the show...

oh and it will have an English dub. anyone hoping they give accents to the characters?
yazi88

So far the 1st cour will end with the ending of volume 1. Yes they will get better units later. Look forward to it.
Underrated GM Custom

I started watching 86 this week after reading the praise in this thread and the premise seemed interesting. Production values are very high and the mecha combat is great. Although the CGI action moves a bit too fast for me to follow at times.

It spends a lot of time showing teenagers being teenagers which caught me off guard, since I was expecting a grim and gritty war drama throughout. I guess I was expecting more Votoms and but instead got Code Geass. I like both series so no complaints there, just had a very different expectation of what I'd be getting considering the subject matter is about who is worthy of being called a human.

The tone, well, that one's pretty inconsistent so far. One episode closes with a outburst along the lines of "you don't think of us as humans", it's then repeated in the start of the next episode and immediately followed by a tickle fight. That one gave me some whiplash. For those who read the manga does the sequence go just like that, or did the anime director go off script and decided to take a pin and pop the tension?

I like the human parts and I like the war parts separately, but they don't seem to blend that well thus far.
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yazi88

It tries to balance out the human slice of life elements rather than just the war parts. These are child soldiers trying to survive, but they have their moments to live their life however they can while they are still alive.

The source material is the novel, and the anime is actually sticking very close to volume 1 so far and is even adding new moments to it. The manga however is not that good.

Its one of the rare adaptations anime wise that sticks close to the source material, although that means the pacing is a lot slower considering this whole cour is just volume 1. I believe the 2nd cour airing this October will be a combination of volume 2 and 3. Pacing will change quite a bit I believe in the 2nd cour.
Underrated GM Custom

Ah shoot, should have said source material vice manga. In the novel series does it have the same sequence of 'outburst' then tickle fight? It was a really jarring back to back set of scenes for me.

Overall I'm liking it but the transitions between serious subject matter like human livestock then back to slice of life are pretty abrupt.
yazi88

Yeah its pretty much like that. There are a number of comedic moments in the novels, although some of is shown off more in the anime.
Henyo

I forgot to ask one important question about this title. Is the main story finished?
oh and i am rewatching it in dub form. got a much better comprehension of the story for sure. sadly, ther were no accents.
yazi88

Henyo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:18 am I forgot to ask one important question about this title. Is the main story finished?
oh and i am rewatching it in dub form. got a much better comprehension of the story for sure. sadly, ther were no accents.
No, only the 1st arc is. The entire 11 eps of season 1 was based on volume 1 of the novel. Almost direct adaptation. Even added some things there were not in the novel.

Season 2 is airing this October.

Novels are up to volume 10 now in Japan. Volume 8 comes out in English next month.
yazi88

2nd season is currently airing with 2 episodes out.

The opening for the 2nd season is quite better than the one from season 1.

Although I'm curious in anyone's thoughts on season 2 so far.
Mafty

I'm liking Season 2 so far; the animation is still great, and they largely follow the storyline of the novel. It does seem like they made some changes to the story to put it more in chronological order than the story in the novel was. At the same time they do compress some of the story to fit the structure of a T.V Anime, but it really doesn't seem to lose anything plot wise from it. I got out of reading the novels, so it'll be neat to see where the storyline goes from here. I hope the show gets a least a couple of seasons; Novel adaptations rarely run that long; as they are mainly advertising for the novel, though in this case at least the novels are translated, so you can follow the storyline even after the anime ends.