Forgotten mecha shows?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DragoMaster009

Re: Forgotten mecha shows?

So since it's been brought up, what's this board's opinion on Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure?
Kuruni

Mafty wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm It's kinda rare to see Isekai with Mechs in it ,and it had a lot of cool mechs and action scenes.
For Mana-Yood-Sushai's sake! Dunbine and Rayearth are clearly not forgotten show! And we already mentioned Wataru, Granzort, Lamune, and Maze in this thread. How about Escaflowne and God Mazinger? Damn, if only they ever animate Hasegawa's Dai-Sword...
Mafty wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pmHowever it seems to have faded into obscurity after it's season ended.
I think light novel is still going. Or is it manga? I never bother to check.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

DragoMaster009 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:03 pm So since it's been brought up, what's this board's opinion on Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure?
Concept is good.

Like I said above, I remember watching it, but don't remember how it ended.
It is likely not bad, per se, but not something you will remember.
Mafty

replying to Kuruni

All of them, Knights & Magic started as a Novel, Moved to Light Novel format, then a manga for the Seinen crowd in Square Enix's magazine. All are still running, but I'm not sure which is the furthest in the story.
Mafty

Also the short run of the Anime might be because apparently Anime often "Advertise" Light Novels, but I'm not sure of the validity of that.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:00 am replying to Kuruni

All of them, Knights & Magic started as a Novel, Moved to Light Novel format, then a manga for the Seinen crowd in Square Enix's magazine. All are still running, but I'm not sure which is the furthest in the story.
It started as a web novel, and was published later as a paperback format light novel.
You probably got the wrong idea on Wikipedia, the top "Novel series" listed its web novel.
As for which got the furthest, definitely the web novel, but the paperback isn't too far behind.
Narou's policy prevents authors from updating chapters that are published elsewhere. Thus authors either completely ditched updating Narou's version(Like Overlord), have completely different story on the publish version(Only Sense Online, which made the Narou version kinda a side story on parallel to the main plot after the published version caught up), or upload a rough version(likely before editor's input.).
K&M are one of the last ones, it maintain an update on Narou barely leading the light novel, maybe a chapter or two.(In Narou format, which is usually much shorter than book chapters.)

The manga and anime run far behind, far FAR behind.
Manga just reached the place where El will be getting the Queen's core, and the anime finished(and because changed to a strange completely failure pace, likely will not continue) after fighting the Dragon airship.(Which likely will still take a year or two before the manga caught up, the manga is so detaily following the novel it is enjoyably going pretty slow)
The web and light novel are in the middle of the sky continent arc, which is way beyond the anime. (after the anime, you still get the forest arc before getting to this arc.)

Ikaruga is having a moderoid model, so it is not in obscurity, yet. The anime is bad, but both novel and the manga is ongoing. I wish they release the model of Toybox though.
Quiddity

Catching up on this thread!

Bokurano? I watched this for the first time within the last couple of months and loved it. One of the best mecha shows I've seen in many years. I will admit that is more due to the premise and characters, the mecha battles leave a lot to be desired and tend to be rather short and not that fulfilling.

Space Warrior Baldios, a kind of more dark/mature mecha show for its time, coming out right around the same time as Space Runaway Ideon, and incidentally enough also being cancelled and having a totally WTF ending as a result before getting a movie to finish it off. Big environmental focus of the show and it has a really good twist around the end. As with any show from that era it can be very episodic at times.

Listeners is fairly new, maybe around a year or so old at this point but I don't recall that having much fanfare. Written by the guy who did Eureka Seven, and the animation is quite lovely. I thought it had a pretty good premise too but will admit it was a show that was more style over substance.

Mafty:
Argento Soma is another in the cycle of Evangelion clones in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.
Argento Soma is a good choice for this thread as as mecha show that is largely forgotten about. I never really thought of it as an Eva clone. The show is very hit and miss for me; I think the overall concept is a good one and the show has a really great twist over what "Frank" is. I generally like Shukou Murase's character design works (he also did Gundam Wing and Gasaraki), in particular in this show with Ryu Soma/Takuto. On the other hand this is a show that just drags massively, there is the episode you mentioned where all they do is talk in a conference room, which kinda reminds me of the Nishida dominated episodes of Gasaraki. Probably worst for me is the fact that the alien monsters they fight have pretty much the same design throughout the show, so you get bored of them real quick. Its a show that would have been a lot better off with 1 cour instead of 2.
A lot of people remember some of the bigger hits like Eva and Gundam Wing (both of which aired the same year 95), However many fell by the wayside. For instance we have Brain Powerd(Which is mostly remembered for unsuccessfully following Eva’s formula)
The interesting thing about Brain Powered these days to me is that it shared a very similar main setup/theme to the far more popular show Darling in the Franxx, focusing a lot on demographic collapse. I always felt this was just such an odd topic for Tomino to go with for a mecha show and he goes so overboard with it at times (the Jonathan - Anoa McCormick relationship for example). Then Darling in the Franxx does it as well. Granted, that had nothing to do with its popularity, which was primarily driven by people loving Zero Two.

Of course while I can't deny people mostly think of Brain Powered as aping Eva, those with a good knowledge of Tomino's past works will know that it isn't that it is copying Eva but rather than Tomino's work greatly inspired Eva and Tomino is just returning to the well with many of his tropes/characters/themes in Brain Powered. Regardless, Brain Powered is quite the disaster and its better off to be forgotten.

Henyo:
would Gothicmade count? i mean its a movie..and from FSS author. ya think it'd make some kind of impression on the mecha crowd...
I've longed to see Gothicmade for many years now, its really unfortunate that Nagano wants it only played in theaters so it isn't really viewable otherwise. Big fan of his work in Heavy Metal L-Gaim and I hope to get more into Five Star Stories someday.

Southern Cross is another one I saw mentioned; absolutely up there for most forgettable mecha shows for me, particularly as someone who hadn't seen Robotech as a kid which it is a part of. I'm a big Tomonori Kogawa fan so seeing his character designs was great (Lana and Marie in particular), but the show was extremely forgettable and the main character was incredibly annoying.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Kuruni

Quiddity wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:48 pm Space Warrior Baldios, a kind of more dark/mature mecha show for its time, coming out right around the same time as Space Runaway Ideon, and incidentally enough also being cancelled and having a totally WTF ending as a result before getting a movie to finish it off. Big environmental focus of the show and it has a really good twist around the end. As with any show from that era it can be very episodic at times.
Funny thing is, in certain SRW group, China's artificial sun spark interest in Baldios anew (the reputation of China's knockoff product doesn't help).
Dark Duel

Quiddity wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:48 pm The interesting thing about Brain Powered these days to me is that it shared a very similar main setup/theme to the far more popular show Darling in the Franxx, focusing a lot on demographic collapse. I always felt this was just such an odd topic for Tomino to go with for a mecha show and he goes so overboard with it at times (the Jonathan - Anoa McCormick relationship for example). Then Darling in the Franxx does it as well. Granted, that had nothing to do with its popularity, which was primarily driven by people loving Zero Two.
I've been wanting to watch something new, so against my better judgement, I decided to check out Franxx. I HATE the mech designs of the series, though the names are interesting, what with all being named after different genera of flowers. But apart from that, I was quite surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I like the premise, and with maybe one exception so far, I'm enjoying the characters. Zero Two's probably one of my favorite characters though. She's so weird, and yet so interesting to watch. I'm only around 6 or 7 episodes in so far, but it's been better than I expected.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mafty

Another rather obscure Tomino work I can think of ,Overman King Gainer. The show has some Gundam tropes in it( people in future colonies using mech's to fight against the central earth government) but it's actually loosely based on a series of French novels called The Ice Company. In a future post apocalyptic earth, humans live on trains (though their actually more like a space colony turned into a train) controlled by a central organization. A group led by a wandering mercenary and a video game Otaku plot their own "Exodus" to freedom in the land of Yapan. To this end they use fairly cool looking Biomechs, including the titular Gainer. The show doesn't exactly take itself seriously and at times seems to be a parody of Gundam, particularly in the characters. It's a rather odd but still entertaining show, but it's surreal nature might by why it's more obscure.
Dark Duel

Oh man, I'd completely forgotten about OKG. I saw a trailer for it years ago and meant to check it out, but I never did. Maybe I'll try to track that down and watch it next.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Quiddity

Dark Duel wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:08 am
Quiddity wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:48 pm The interesting thing about Brain Powered these days to me is that it shared a very similar main setup/theme to the far more popular show Darling in the Franxx, focusing a lot on demographic collapse. I always felt this was just such an odd topic for Tomino to go with for a mecha show and he goes so overboard with it at times (the Jonathan - Anoa McCormick relationship for example). Then Darling in the Franxx does it as well. Granted, that had nothing to do with its popularity, which was primarily driven by people loving Zero Two.
I've been wanting to watch something new, so against my better judgement, I decided to check out Franxx. I HATE the mech designs of the series, though the names are interesting, what with all being named after different genera of flowers. But apart from that, I was quite surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I like the premise, and with maybe one exception so far, I'm enjoying the characters. Zero Two's probably one of my favorite characters though. She's so weird, and yet so interesting to watch. I'm only around 6 or 7 episodes in so far, but it's been better than I expected.
I on the other hand like the mecha designs of Franxx quite a lot, perhaps because of my familiarity with Star Driver, whose mecha were designed by the same guy and I was always a fan of. The new show from Goro Taniguchi, Back Arrow has some mecha designs that remind me a lot of Franxx and Star Driver although I think its a different guy doing them.

Franxx was extremely popular until the last third or so of the series where many felt it jumped the shark and collapsed massively. I'm a lot higher on it than most and enjoyed it a lot both times I watched it although will admit it has its flaws.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
MythSearcher

Nevermind forgotten, I didn't even know this existed:
Super Pipimi BARI Mode

At first I was like, what? Masami Obari work and I haven't even heard of it? when I first saw him posting things related a year ago.

I didn't know what it is until the Moderoid came out and I have more info on the product page to read.(and Obviously I didn't search for it because the Twitter app is very hard to copy and paste words)
No, I have heard of the show, just that I never thought I'd watch it and didn't know it has mecha(actually, not for most of the show) It's from Poptepipic, and seriously, it had been included in SRW X-Ω.
False Prophet

Quiddity wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:42 pm I on the other hand like the mecha designs of Franxx quite a lot, perhaps because of my familiarity with Star Driver, whose mecha were designed by the same guy and I was always a fan of. The new show from Goro Taniguchi, Back Arrow has some mecha designs that remind me a lot of Franxx and Star Driver although I think its a different guy doing them.

Franxx was extremely popular until the last third or so of the series where many felt it jumped the shark and collapsed massively. I'm a lot higher on it than most and enjoyed it a lot both times I watched it although will admit it has its flaws.
People usually confuse that Franxx is a Trigger show, but in reality most of the show was done by A-1. And if you know anything about A-1, their shows are just... middle of the road. They look nice and have some memorable moments, but the overal quality is meh. I think that is true with Franxx too.
MythSearcher wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:18 am No, I have heard of the show, just that I never thought I'd watch it and didn't know it has mecha(actually, not for most of the show) It's from Poptepipic, and seriously, it had been included in SRW X-Ω.
With the news of X-Ω ending soon, I've a feeling that the developer had long known about this and just raced with time to give cameos to as many obscure shows as possible.

Speaking of obscure anime, do you think how many people in the States still remember the Sunrise-made tokusatsu show Samurai Troopers? It is really good, and I have watched both the subs and the Ronin Warriors dub, but never seems to be able to find someone to disccuss it.
Mafty

Has anyone watched Scared Rider Xechs? It's an Otome game turned Anime about a woman leading a team of Bishonen into combat against interdimensional invaders. I only watched one episode before Daisuki went out of business. So i wonder if anyone knows if the show focused more on the relationships(as is true for most Dating Sim adaptations) or on the mech fight's?

Also would Captain Earth qualify as obscure? It's a rather dark super robot series from Bones, that has a bunch of shout outs to different mech shows, and it's very well animated.
Henyo

Mafty wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 pm Has anyone watched Scared Rider Xechs? It's an Otome game turned Anime about a woman leading a team of Bishonen into combat against interdimensional invaders. I only watched one episode before Daisuki went out of business. So i wonder if anyone knows if the show focused more on the relationships(as is true for most Dating Sim adaptations) or on the mech fight's?

Also would Captain Earth qualify as obscure? It's a rather dark super robot series from Bones, that has a bunch of shout outs to different mech shows, and it's very well animated.
i also watched the first episode. too slow for my taste. and the character designs didnt do it for me. too much on the bishie side that im not into.

yep it does. and so does the same studio's Mars Daybreak. i enjoyed Mars Daybreak and watched the dubbed version. its got quite the star sudden English dub. i even got Dearest Mother to watch it. she liked the Captain. nyahaha

is it safe to say that its more obscure than older shows when both Bones title didn't even get in SRW X Omega before it shuts down?

there is another Light Novel mecha title that got adapted into an anime is Asura Cryin...anyone watched that?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Mafty

I’ve only seen a few episodes, The machines are summoned and controlled by the characters (like Giant Gorg, or even a mon concept) and the show is something of a science fantasy with ghosts, summoned robots, and cyborgs.

Another forgotten show is Hades Project Zeorymer from the 80s. It’s sort of a dark Super Robot concept aimed at the Seinen crowd , andIt does have some similar characters/themes to Evangelion .SPOILERS(eg, Characters bread to pilot a powerful machine, Familial Issues, An Artificial Humanoid girl who is the main characters stoic copilot, A sinister pragmatist in sunglasses leading a shadowy government organization, Everyone having massive personal problems, etc). It infamously started out life as a Hentai manga, of which the anime thankfully cuts out (most) of the extreme content. Still the mech designs are very well detailed, as is the animation in the battle scenes, and the story itself is actually pretty interesting , and manages to go beyond shock value like the manga. It was released dubbed and subbed years ago, but now it’s seemingly so obscure that Right Stuf only sells two of the four episodes on DVD.

Would Iczer 1 count as obscure/forgotten. It had several sequels but I’m not sure if it made into any video games. It’s another Hentai that (loosely) edited into an OVA in the 80’s. It mixes pretty much everything the market probably though Otaku’s would go for in the 80’s(Moe, Fanservice,Robot’s, Monsters,Yuri, etc). It manages to hold together very well storyline wise, and has a lot of great fight scenes.

There’s also Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars. A rather forgettable show that combines the moe aesthetic with super robots. The premise is interesting enough; but the story is rather slow moving, and the battles are decent enough but somewhat infrequent.

Speaking of Moe Mecha Granblem, Kind of like Madoka Magica in Chibi Mech’s I found the story kinda dragged and never finished it. Has anyone else watched this all the way through? Does the story improve as the series goes on?

Also Dragonaut the Resonance. The Dragon Mech’s look cool, but the show has something of a reputation(despite being fairly obscure) for being too fanservice oriented. Has anyone else here watched it? If so , what do you think of it?
Kuruni

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:18 am Nevermind forgotten, I didn't even know this existed:
Super Pipimi BARI Mode

At first I was like, what? Masami Obari work and I haven't even heard of it? when I first saw him posting things related a year ago.

I didn't know what it is until the Moderoid came out and I have more info on the product page to read.(and Obviously I didn't search for it because the Twitter app is very hard to copy and paste words)
No, I have heard of the show, just that I never thought I'd watch it and didn't know it has mecha(actually, not for most of the show) It's from Poptepipic, and seriously, it had been included in SRW X-Ω.
Pop Team Epic is awesome. Although Pipimi Bari Mode only appears in one special OP sequence. Her gimmick (the SD turn real scale) seems to be based on yet another forgotten show, Choriki Robo Galatt (supposely, the show is problematic because of lolicon running gag).

Now, if you like another one shot design from Obari, please look up Kaien from Gintama.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:56 pm
Speaking of Moe Mecha Granblem, Kind of like Madoka Magica in Chibi Mech’s I found the story kinda dragged and never finished it. Has anyone else watched this all the way through? Does the story improve as the series goes on?
Yes, I have watched the whole series.
Combat wise, the more towards the end, the more Gundam it becomes.
I'd say it is at least coherent and maintained a reasonably thought out plot. Ending is Madoka(TV) like.
Kuruni wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:26 pm Now, if you like another one shot design from Obari, please look up Kaien from Gintama.
That one at least I know of.
Watched the 13 ep of Poptepipic's op, yeah, totally understand why the SRW cross-omega's pilots reaction.
Kuruni