Forgotten mecha shows?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
False Prophet

Re: Forgotten mecha shows?

Henyo wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:14 am would Gothicmade count? i mean its a movie..and from FSS author. ya think it'd make some kind of impression on the mecha crowd...
From what I've heard, Gothicmade divided the FSS fanbase itself. After it came out, Nagano changed every details in the FSS universe, from the lores to the designs, to fit Gothicmade--yes, Gothicmade is in the same universe as FSS. Just the designs alone, which look even more alien than before, pushed a lot of old-timey fans away.

And then there is Nagano's insistent to not realese the movie on Blu-rays. If the rumors are to be believed, the movie was truly animated in 12K, and Nagano believed that releasing it anywhere but in theatres would lessen the film.

Now I've said it, it really feels like Mamoru Nagano and Christopher Nolan have something similar.
MythSearcher

Ok, I admit I forgot Neo Ranga.
Henyo wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:14 am
related note: there seems to be more Yuri focused mecha shows than Yaoi ones. and lets not count the Subtext ones. is there an out and out Yaoi mecha title out there?
Reason is simple, the Yuri genre appeals male audience(perverts), the mecha genre appeals male audience, the Yaoi genre appeals female audience(the rotten ones).
So it would make sense to create a mecha series with Yuri, but not a mecha series with Yaoi.
Mafty

Well there is Legend of The Blue Wolves, but much like Kannazuki No Miko there are some disturbing sexual assault scenes.

Dragonar most likely qualifies as forgotten/obscure. It does appear to have a cult following; however considering how according to some sources it was to replace Gundam(Allegedly Sunrise wanted a popular mech show less tied to continuity, see the later Gundam Alternative Universe's), it counts. Which is a shame because it's a very entertaining show with likeable characters and cool mech design's. Plus being stand alone(but still having a proper ending) would seemingly make it easier to export.
Kuruni

Dragonar got featured prominently in the first three A.C.E and keep pop up in SRW often enough that I doubt it's forgotten.

Vifam might be more obscure, but I noticed that Sunrise always put them in their own game like the Battle of Sunrise.

Hmm, anyone heard about Madou King Granzort? I remember it quite fondly, but it doesn't seems to has lasting impact. In fact, I think other "chibi" mecha show that isn't Wataru or SD Gundam, and arguable NG Knight Ramune are mostly forgotten, but the only other one I can think of right now is Lord of Lords Ryuknight.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:37 am
Dragonar most likely qualifies as forgotten/obscure. It does appear to have a cult following; however considering how according to some sources it was to replace Gundam(Allegedly Sunrise wanted a popular mech show less tied to continuity, see the later Gundam Alternative Universe's), it counts. Which is a shame because it's a very entertaining show with likeable characters and cool mech design's. Plus being stand alone(but still having a proper ending) would seemingly make it easier to export.
Dragonar is hardly forgotten.
It was pretty obviously a show mimicking Gundam, as you can see the first episode's similarity to Gundam and the 3 mecha are basically a (then) modern redesign of Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank.
You can also see the similarity of it and Gundam SEED, considering Mitsuo Fukuda worked on both of the series.

At least in Japan it was still remembered.
Kuruni wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:08 am Hmm, anyone heard about Madou King Granzort? I remember it quite fondly, but it doesn't seems to has lasting impact. In fact, I think other "chibi" mecha show that isn't Wataru or SD Gundam, and arguable NG Knight Ramune are mostly forgotten, but the only other one I can think of right now is Lord of Lords Ryuknight.
Yes, watched the show when I was in my Primaries, while it aired during the anime dark ages, it was planned before the Miyazaki murders, I don't know how much that changed things.
Recent release of models by Goodsmile Company's Moderoid line put this show out of the forgotten realm though.
Similar situation for Prince Hiroi's previous show Machine Hero Wataru, there was a new anime release in April 2020.
Also Prince Hiroi related, Sukura Wars also got a new anime, new PS4 game and a fumbled smartphone game Sakura Revolutions last year. (BTW, the PS4 game sucked as it was completely different from the SRPG game play and is an hack & slash which didn't have lock on function that makes it extremely hard to hit flying enemies, for people who bought the limited first release version for the Sound Tracks CDs, the ver1.3 lock on fix came too late because we already finished the game and will have no motivation to take it out just for trying the lock on function)

I recently finished watching Ryuknight last November(only read the manga), surprised to find that the two versions are so different.(Since the manga had a scene after a time skip and referred the readers to watch the anime episodes to understand why some characters joined.
This one seems to be pretty forgotten in the west? But similar to Granzort, action figures about a decade ago and 2019 appearance in SRW X-Ω also made it less forgotten.
NG Lamune also got included in X-Ω.
False Prophet

Anyone here have watched Kishin Corps? Today is the first time I ever heard of that series.
Mafty

I watched it when I was in an anime club in University. It's basically like a WW2(one of the characters is Eva Braun....yeah) version of Sakura Wars in concept if not execution( ie Steampunk mechs fighting monsters, and Kishin Corps came first.) I don't really remember much else about it, and despite being dubbed it doesn't seem to be on many peoples radar.
Henyo

i certainly haven't. but it's only 7 episodes. so i can make time for it. same for the Yaoi mecha OVA. but i have to gather some guts..the video preview already showed the action that i wasn't looking for.

now here's a title thats kinda in a weird position..

IdolMaster Xenoglossia.

i made a comrade post about it in an IMAS group. not much reaction. seems like the Idol fans dont pay much attention to it. but i personally like it. i still have the first opening in my playlist. we also got some nice covers of mecha shows openings anyone here deep into the idol genre? i want to hear some opinions on Xenoglossia.

another title thats very very much obscure is Am Driver. the only reason i know about it was because it was aired ion local Tv with a dub. didn't even managed to watch a complete episode.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Kuruni

I remember Xenoglossia got some backlash then for turning IdolMaster into robot anime (big enough that it's listed by a villain of Haiyore Nyarko-san in light novel vol.3 as one of many reasons why the world must be destroyed).

Ironically, even if it was just a short gag, I think most fans will think more of Mujin Gattai Kisaraki if you ask about IdolMaster's mecha anime...
Chris
Administrator

One series I'd definitely consider forgotten is Viper's Creed, a 12 episode series from 2009 directed by Shinji Aramaki and featuring transforming bike mecha. It didn't make a big splash in a Japan, and a few episodes aired in the U.S. on G4. After that, it got a subpar dub-only DVD release and faded into the shadows of history.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MythSearcher

Suddenly remembered RPG Legend Hepoi.
I had the Mahara Castle model: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N377GQ5
The Battle castle: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01NAUHKW0
and the Baron Castle: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0771R53PF
Should also have a villain side character, probably the Ghost Castle.

With this, I linked to the Japanese wikipedia's anime with huge robot category.

Listing a few that I watched but doesn't seem to be remembered by the general public watching mecha shows:
Vandread: Yeah, Darling in the Franx isn't the first to do the obvious sex implication cockpit.
Stellvia: I liked this one, hoped it will get a sequel, sequel got cancelled.
Kyatto Ninden Teyandee: I don't remember seeing mecha in this one, but I only watched it on TV in primary school, so...
Leda: The Fantastic Adventure of Yohko: I remember I have watched this, don't remember anything about it.
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure: At least I remember the beginning, don't remember the end though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_Takeru_(TV_series) Don't know why Japanese mythology's Izumo cycle(Where the eight headed snake appeared) got to the spot light in 1994, but this and Blue Seed are both anime in this year.
Red Baron: Don't know how forgotten this is because it is a remake of the 1973 tokusatsu.
Infinite Ryvius: Yes, there is a mecha appearing in show, just more of a ship show than mecha show.
Maze: Ok, haven't watch this one, fooled by the cover art and bought book 1 of the manga, regretted it until now. It's one of those things that you really want to have brain bleach. Also, the manga did a really bad job in story telling, you have almost no idea what they are doing other than grasping the basic concept of the scene.

Hepoi and Kyatto both brings back enough memories that I actually want to watch them. Possibly Yamato Takeru as well.
Kuruni

I remember Hepoi, although the castle aren't piloted but fighting along side the heroes. Also read the manga, which is surprisingly straight foward heroic fantasy compared to how dark the anime become pass the halfway point.

Now, although it isn't forgotten, I think Plawres Sanshiro should count if only because people keep comparing other toy robot battle show with Angelic Layer instead. Seriously, I'm kind of disappoint that Build Fighters never has outdoor battle scene Sanshiro does like this one.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:20 am I remember Hepoi, although the castle aren't piloted but fighting along side the heroes. Also read the manga, which is surprisingly straight foward heroic fantasy compared to how dark the anime become pass the halfway point.

Now, although it isn't forgotten, I think Plawres Sanshiro should count if only because people keep comparing other toy robot battle show with Angelic Layer instead. Seriously, I'm kind of disappoint that Build Fighters never has outdoor battle scene Sanshiro does like this one.
Plawres Sanshiro is actually still quite popular in Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong, it was one of the first plastic model combat series, actually serialized about 2 weeks before Plamo Kyoshiro.
It's like everyone I talked to in these area knows Juomaru, even before Angelic Layer and LBX.

If you want outdoor battle scenes, while not entirely outdoor, when I played the LBX PSP game, it seems like they are in open fields quite a lot? (Usually to infiltrate buildings, but definitely not in a small battle arena set up) Don't know if the anime is that same in that sense.

Edit: Watched the first episode of Kyatto Ninden Teyandee and figured out the scramble sequence of Sakura Wars is basically the same as this. (Kyatto Ninden Teyandee is a few years earlier)
Wonder if any other earlier mecha show had the same sequence. Asked a friend about this and it seems like Combattler V had the team jumping into holes on walls leading to tubes, but didn't have the changing sequence, and Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman had a changing scene during scramble but not the jumping in the hole part.
If not, the idea of Sakura Wars got this idea from Kyatto Ninden is just hilarious. (Both have a cover up public persona, similar scramble scene)
Mafty

I know this was mentioned earlier (in the context of it's "Sequel") but would Dancouga count? It seemed to be lost in all of the other Mecha animes in the 80s, and had a rather low budget and uneven animation. It did have a wrap up OVA and several sequel OVAs; but aside from the wrap up none of those were exported, and apart from a "Sequel"(that it ultimately had little in common with) nothing has been made with the original characters in over 30 years.

Also Panzer World Galient. Made the year after Dunbine, it was also set in a Medieval style fantasy setting with mechs(though the stories are honestly quite different aside from that). It had an interesting story that did a good job of mixing fantasy aspects with a Sci-Fi setting, as well as cool looking mechs that resemble Knight's armor. There are rumor's that it had poor ratings and had to wrap up early, if that is true it may be the reason why it's forgotten.
Kuruni

Dancouga got included in SRW often enough.

Galient might be less well-known, but Sunrise and Takara sure love it. It got included in Brave Saga as guest series along with Votoms and Dougram, in Battle of Sunrise, and in SRW BX.
MythSearcher

Not to mention Galian got quite some merchandise made in recent years, Super Minipla, Robot Tamashi, Wave W.H.A.M., etc.
False Prophet

Anyone here have watched the two mecha spin-offs of Tenchi Muyo: War in Geminar and Dual! Parallel Lun-Lun Monogatari? From what little I have watched of Tenchi Muyo, it feels pretty boring and generic to me. Should I spend my time for these two spin-offs?

Also, here is the news about a crowdfunding effort to preserving the 1976 show Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster: https://ogiuemaniax.com/2021/01/29/the- ... bot-anime/

I am not sure how many could participate in this crowdfunding, but I wish as many people as possible.
Chris
Administrator

False Prophet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:08 pm Anyone here have watched the two mecha spin-offs of Tenchi Muyo: War in Geminar and Dual! Parallel Lun-Lun Monogatari? From what little I have watched of Tenchi Muyo, it feels pretty boring and generic to me. Should I spend my time for these two spin-offs?

Also, here is the news about a crowdfunding effort to preserving the 1976 show Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster: https://ogiuemaniax.com/2021/01/29/the- ... bot-anime/

I am not sure how many could participate in this crowdfunding, but I wish as many people as possible.
I remember starting Dual eons ago when it was new, but I don't remember finishing it. From what little I can even recall, "generic" seems like a good description.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mafty

I watched some of War on Geminar in an Anime club years ago, it's a fairly generic Isekai Harem series. It has some cool looking Knight Mecha but the harem elements overtake the mecha aspects for most of the series run.
Mafty

Also tied to Isekai mecha, who else watched/heard of Knights & Magic? In it a Mech Otaku is reborn in a Medieval Fantasy Kingdom where he uses his knowledge to jumpstart their steampunk mech army. It's kinda rare to see Isekai with Mechs in it ,and it had a lot of cool mechs and action scenes. However it seems to have faded into obscurity after it's season ended.