Forgotten mecha shows?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: Forgotten mecha shows?

MythSearcher wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:33 am

Yes, I have watched the whole series.
Combat wise, the more towards the end, the more Gundam it becomes.
I'd say it is at least coherent and maintained a reasonably thought out plot. Ending is Madoka(TV) like.
hilariously, the fate of one character is a Full on Zeta Gundam reference!!! i am gonna watch this again once the dub appears.

on the same vein as Kannazuki no Miko, how would peeps classify this show? more on the Mecha or Magical Girl side? or along the lines of Magic Knight Rayearth.

Regalia i want to rewatch in dub. maybe that one can mak me care more for it. the one thing i recall from that show is that it had to be pulled out from its original broadcast schedule..i think it was because of QUALITY issue.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
MythSearcher

Henyo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:38 am hilariously, the fate of one character is a Full on Zeta Gundam reference!!! i am gonna watch this again once the dub appears.

on the same vein as Kannazuki no Miko, how would peeps classify this show? more on the Mecha or Magical Girl side? or along the lines of Magic Knight Rayearth.

Regalia i want to rewatch in dub. maybe that one can mak me care more for it. the one thing i recall from that show is that it had to be pulled out from its original broadcast schedule..i think it was because of QUALITY issue.
I must say that Granbelm is much more mecha. You have better focus in mecha combat than Rayearth(I mean, Rayearth's overall combat scenes(mecha or not) aren't really that good, most of it is just a bunch of reused footage over and over, to a point where the recent SRWT almost used all of its mecha combat clips eventhough they have very limited number of attacks, the older SFC and Saturn games had to make up new spells so it is not too boring.)
It also have more mecha show references, it surely is a show designed to be able to please mecha fans.
While it IS a Yuri show, it is much more subtle even if you do not compare it to the more extreme Kannazuki no miko, to a point where it is just barely a yuri show.
Magical girl though, hmmm, this one is hard to call. It is pretty different from your typical magical girl where they fight some kind of monster of the week. They go on battle royale amount themselves, and the combat is more chaotic then G Gundam. (They fight but there isn't any real rules and you can snipe others when they are combating) I mean, yes, they are literally magical girls, but most of what they do aren't your typical magical girl genre thing.
False Prophet

Anyone here have watched Gonzo shows back in the early 2000s? They have got Gravion, and to a lesser extend, Burst Angels and Samurai 7. I always like Gonzo for their "trashiness"--they put so much effort in the animations, but a lot of times their stories and characters stuck in the 1980s and 90s OVA.
Henyo

False Prophet wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:31 am Anyone here have watched Gonzo shows back in the early 2000s? They have got Gravion, and to a lesser extend, Burst Angels and Samurai 7. I always like Gonzo for their "trashiness"--they put so much effort in the animations, but a lot of times their stories and characters stuck in the 1980s and 90s OVA.
I watched both seasons of Gravion. i liked what i saw..especially the pantsu~ and of course i went for the dub version. but since Show Hayami is in the japanese might rewatch it when i have more free time. Burst angel i just sawbits and pieces of the local dub. how often did they bust the mecha in the show?

is Vandread good? all i know is the basic premise and the character designs. oh and Crispin Freeman is in the dub.
Mafty

Vandread has an interesting premise, but it still has a lot of typical Harem elements and fanservice in it. So it really depends on what your interested in; if your more into fanservice/harem elements the show would work well for that. However the battles and mech aspects are somewhat downplayed, particularly early on.
Quiddity

False Prophet wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:31 am Anyone here have watched Gonzo shows back in the early 2000s? They have got Gravion, and to a lesser extend, Burst Angels and Samurai 7. I always like Gonzo for their "trashiness"--they put so much effort in the animations, but a lot of times their stories and characters stuck in the 1980s and 90s OVA.
I saw Burst Angel; my only real recollection of it was that it sucked massively and I never revisited it.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Henyo

So, i recently started playing SRW X(after playing SRW V for 4 times :D) and there's one show there that fits the bill quite fine.

Buddy Complex.

i remember watching this and enjoying what i saw. anyone got the details on what happened to the production? i recall reading that it was cut short.
Mafty

Details seem kinda scarce in English. Some sources say there was to be a full second season, that was cut down due to low ratings and Blu Ray sales. However other sources say press releases were vague on exactly what the "Final" project was going to be. However given how much story line gets put into the last OVA, it really does seem to have been meant for a longer series, which is shame really because the premise is really interesting.

Also has anyone watched M3 The Dark Metal? It's a fairly obscure Satelight show that mixes mecha and psychological horror.
Henyo

Mafty wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:55 pm Details seem kinda scarce in English. Some sources say there was to be a full second season, that was cut down due to low ratings and Blu Ray sales. However other sources say press releases were vague on exactly what the "Final" project was going to be. However given how much story line gets put into the last OVA, it really does seem to have been meant for a longer series, which is shame really because the premise is really interesting.

Also has anyone watched M3 The Dark Metal? It's a fairly obscure Satelight show that mixes mecha and psychological horror.
i did. and it was a meh show for the most part. it didnt help that it was at the time i had started to hate hearing Yuji Kaji's voice. wasn't this a Mari Okada or some other person directed show?
i feel that theres another show similar to this one..i just can't recall the title...
Mafty

It might be Betterman. it was a late 90s Sunrise show that on the surface was a Super Robot series; however it had a lot of dark, creepy content, and was ultimately more of a horror show with some mecha.
Kuruni

...and actually being GaoGaiGar's sidestory.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mafty

Has anyone watched Reideen? Is it any good? I'm talking about the remake, not the original. The trailer looks cool, but the show itself seems to have been forgotten.
DragoMaster009

Speaking of Raideen remakes, what are people's opinions on Raideen the Superior?
False Prophet

Henyo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:25 am I watched both seasons of Gravion. i liked what i saw..especially the pantsu~ and of course i went for the dub version. but since Show Hayami is in the japanese might rewatch it when i have more free time. Burst angel i just sawbits and pieces of the local dub. how often did they bust the mecha in the show?
Burst Angel had CG mecha, which for an early 2000s show, is actually animated well enough. My complain is that they didn't bring it out often enough.
DragoMaster009 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:25 am Speaking of Raideen remakes, what are people's opinions on Raideen the Superior?
I watched both Raideen and Raideen the Superior in one go. While Production I.G did a good job with the show, I feel like having more fun with the original.

Anyone have watched Daimos? With Voltes V getting a remake soon, I'm thinking about finishing Combattler V and maybe watch Daimos.
Henyo

False Prophet wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 pm
Anyone have watched Daimos? With Voltes V getting a remake soon, I'm thinking about finishing Combattler V and maybe watch Daimos.
Daimos is imo the better of the three Nagahama Mecha shows. the robot action is much more intense thanks to how the robot is controlled. and this is bias coming in but i prefer the love story(ironic considering i've gotten sick with them thanks to the local dramas aired while i was growing up) over family story of Voltes.

and speaking fo Voltes V, better lower expectations to the LOWEST. The Toei approved Spin off to shaider, Zaido Pulis Pangkalawakan(literally space police) turned into a Monster of the Week some times and soap opera most of the times. it even added kid warriors.

the cast reveal may have been spot on for the most part but one of the staff exploding on a local artist satire About turning Voltes V into a Soap opera is seen as another sign to lower expectations to an absolute minimum.

say, didn't Kiddy Grade have a robot too? or was it like Burst Angel in that they didnt use it too much?
MythSearcher

Henyo wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:09 am say, didn't Kiddy Grade have a robot too? or was it like Burst Angel in that they didnt use it too much?
Kinda?
The have Guard Robots and the more advanced AI used ones are called Solid Shell.
https://kiddygrade.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Guard_Robot

Not piloted but real self working robots.

And then you have the stupidly large(6358km) ship Deucalion which can somehow transform into a humanoid form according to the Japanese Wikipedia.
Mafty

Anyone watched Zegapain? The mech's look cool, and the CGI seems to integrate fairly well.It went out of print and was License Rescued, but nothing seems to have been heard of it since.
Henyo

Mafty wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am Anyone watched Zegapain? The mech's look cool, and the CGI seems to integrate fairly well.It went out of print and was License Rescued, but nothing seems to have been heard of it since.
only watched the first episode. and before that,my first exposure to it was through..a tony taka doujin. :D
i checked it's ANN page. the last thing about it was a compilation movie in 2016. and then its debut on X Omega.
Mafty

What's GUN X SWORD like? Is it comedy focused; more serious, or a mix of both? How big of a role do the mech's play in the overall show? Aside from being compared to Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, it seems to have faded into obscurity.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:45 pm What's GUN X SWORD like? Is it comedy focused; more serious, or a mix of both? How big of a role do the mech's play in the overall show? Aside from being compared to Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, it seems to have faded into obscurity.
After playing the SRW plot about it, I must say I don't like it. At least it is far from Trigun and Cowboy Bebop's level of plot material.
Maybe the anime is better? But the SRW treatment already gave it quite a lot of plot, at least much longer than Rayearth, yet it still make little sense.