What's Next for Gundam Anime?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bhayes82

What's Next for Gundam Anime?

Just thought i would throw this out there.

What is happening behind the scenes? Does anybody have info? We are all waiting to see when the Hathaway trilogy will be released.

but what's next???

A new U.C. show? a Gundam origin continuation/0079 remake? A new Alternative Universe timeline show?

i think i remember the producer of Hathaway stating that there is a Reconguista in G movie adaptation coming?

Build Divers (which is a series i don't like) has ended i Believe. do they plan to do more with that?

i mean how is Japan and the animation houses/manga industry adapting to the Covid-19 pandemic?

is everything literally on PAUSE in Japan?
Omega

Re: What's Next for Gundam Anime?

The only thing on the immediate approach is a Battlogue based on Build Divers. And no one here magically knows what's going on, beyond the Hathaway's Flash trilogy being the only other thing confirmed.
bhayes82

what is a battelogue? is that like a compilation movie?
Dark Duel

*Battlogue* was a mini-series of short episodes that were produced for GBF/T to, essentially, plug new model kits.
GBD is getting something similar.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kyuzo Aoi

I prefer a new Gundam AU, preferably either Gundam Burai or a new AU altogether.
I am a Gundam!
bhayes82

Well, when i read this news. i felt intrigued.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... rst-gundam

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/new-mo ... -yasuhiko/

I'm honestly tired of Gundam AU's - they've honestly really done every kind of AU imaginable at this point. it's getting played out now.

G, Wing, SEED, AGE, IBO, Reconguista in G, Double 0, Turn A, X

and now we've had the Build FIghers / Build Divers concept which is kinda like their pokemon-ish take on Gundam and a tribute to all Gundam shows all in one for the little kiddies.

I'm glad they're going back and making animated adaptations of the popular U.C. based mangas. it's a brilliant idea.

Hathaway will be a 'great' groundbreaking trilogy that will recapture the essence of char's counterattack and F91. but what next after that?

after watching the G40 special. image a Gundam remake/origin continuation with that CGI-cel style of animation used for the G40 for the mecha combat animation but the character design and art style used from the origin OVA. now that would be interesting. i think after the pandemic is over and the Hathaway trilogy has run its course, i think going back to the beginning and giving things a fresh take would be interesting.

and with the actual walking Gundam machine they've built in Japan. it will be a great way to re-boot the franchise for today's audience.

origin was amazing because its a 'modern' day take on the 0079 characters. i don't see why the shoud'n't keep running with that

and seeing that Mazinger Z: Infinity (2017) made me go "why can't they do this with a Gundam 0079 remake.."
DragoMaster009

Trying it again with F91? Thanks to all the anime, manga, video games, light novels, etc. I doubt they can squeeze in one more installment of Gundam in the MSG to Unicorn range of events. And honestly, the post UC 100 years are looking a little barren with only 3 different names to its claim (Formula, Crossbone, and Victory).
Kuruni

...Without Koji Tsujitani, revisit F91 can be awkward.

Personally, MS Girl Note anime would be interesting. And before anyone scream, it does feature some pretty cool mechanic designs.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:37 am
Personally, MS Girl Note anime would be interesting. And before anyone scream, it does feature some pretty cool mechanic designs.
Objection!
Not just some, MOST of the mechanic parts are pretty cool in this series.
Mika Akitaka still got his skills, just that the girl part is slowly falling out of the trending style.(especially it seems like he is struggling to catch up to the trend)
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Kuruni wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:37 am ...Without Koji Tsujitani, revisit F91 can be awkward.

Kōji Tsujitani Genocyber (1994), Ryuu

That man was a legend.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Vic Raiden

DragoMaster009 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:11 am Trying it again with F91? Thanks to all the anime, manga, video games, light novels, etc. I doubt they can squeeze in one more installment of Gundam in the MSG to Unicorn range of events. And honestly, the post UC 100 years are looking a little barren with only 3 different names to its claim (Formula, Crossbone, and Victory).
Right... The Zeon saga, as I call the first twenty years of UC, are literally filled with notable events, so much that it may look like a single continuous war to some. I'd rather expect either this, a show set after Victory, or a new entry in one of the AUs. They do seem open to new possibilities, after all.
SonicSP

I would want another Gundam AU TV Series. I definitely much prefer it to another UC movie or OVA adapation (unless its later on in the timeline or something).
Kyuzo Aoi

^I suggest Gundam Burai to become anime.

Also, the point of AUs is that certain themes that can be shoehorned to Gundam cannot easily be shoehorned to UC.

If Gundam focused too much on UC and Build series, the newer generation might be turned off by Gundam by that point.

I mean, Kamen Rider did something like Showa and Heisei/Reiwa-era series. Basically UC is Showa-era Gundam, that includes series shown in the Heisei and Reiwa periods but has connections to UC (including G-Reco and Turn-A). Heisei-Reiwa Kamen Rider series are the equivalent of AU Gundams. So it's not that Gundam should focus on a single universe, though it must expand, but telling that they should stop making new AUs stifle creativity and imagination. Each AU series has to have a signature thematic to stand out.
I am a Gundam!
bhayes82

Kyuzo Aoi wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:37 am ^I suggest Gundam Burai to become anime.

Also, the point of AUs is that certain themes that can be shoehorned to Gundam cannot easily be shoehorned to UC.

If Gundam focused too much on UC and Build series, the newer generation might be turned off by Gundam by that point.

I mean, Kamen Rider did something like Showa and Heisei/Reiwa-era series. Basically UC is Showa-era Gundam, which includes series shown in the Heisei and Reiwa periods but has connections to UC (including G-Reco and Turn-A). Heisei-Reiwa Kamen Rider series are the equivalent of AU Gundams. So it's not that Gundam should focus on a single universe, though it must expand, but telling that they should stop making new AUs stifle creativity and imagination. Each AU series has to have a signature thematic to stand out.
i agree totally. I think AU's should still be done. I don't think they should do-away with them completely. but i think they've done EVERYTYPE of AU at this point. they need to take a break from it.

G, Wing, Turn A, X, Seed, 00, AGE, IBO and now we have Build which is a combo of AU and a tribute to all gundam shows. Reconguista is an AU in disguise in my view. I say they need to take a break from AU's for awhile. They've pushed the AU concept as far as they could.

i say go back and give the original three seasons of GUndam the same treatment given to Origin and Unicorn. 4 or 5 one hour OAV films they go on VOD, Streaming, and TV and Blu Ray. and in theaters. and then split the movies for a TV broadcast version in 22 eps.
Kuruni

*Chuckle* So you suggest that "They can't bring in a new thing anymore, lets go back to EVEN OLDER STUFF AND MILK IT DRY AGAIN."

Make no mistake, I'm fine if they revisit UC. But I disagree that they can't bring new thing to the table as AU (there're almost infinite combination of theme, motif, and tropes; although not all of them would work). And even if they can't bring completely new things, I still fail to see why they can't revisit the concept of older AU instead. Super Sentai has at least four dinosaur-theme series after all.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:08 am *Chuckle* So you suggest that "They can't bring in a new thing anymore, lets go back to EVEN OLDER STUFF AND MILK IT DRY AGAIN."

Make no mistake, I'm fine if they revisit UC. But I disagree that they can't bring new thing to the table as AU (there're almost infinite combination of theme, motif, and tropes; although not all of them would work). And even if they can't bring completely new things, I still fail to see why they can't revisit the concept of older AU instead. Super Sentai has at least four dinosaur-theme series after all.
I don't see why they can't pick the oldest idea in the franchise and actually make it work: Freedom Fight Gunboy
Ok, maybe give it another name, but take the idea of an alien race enemy, fight in the scale of Space Battleship Yamato, and not giant mecha but power suits, with a female "Red Meteor" and a punk youngster "Black Star".
That'd be fun.
Kuruni

If they want to follow the current trend, then make it about VTuber (hmmm...they actually touch it a bit in GBDR). We may even get parody of Kira-like character who wipe the whole army the instant they appear, but struggling to keep their channel floating because that's boring. The MC, on the other hand, usually has their MS/gunpla trashed by the end of each stream (think Bernie) but become people's favorite because it's really fun to watch.
Kyuzo Aoi

Problem is that the genie is out of the bottle, and you can't get it back.

Let's face it, we made a mistake of mocking UC Gundam fans, and we are sorry with that; we underestimated your dedication to the lore and mechas. I also saw UC fans apologizing to AU Gundams for looking down on them and paid the price for being mocked on the internet as angry neckbeards.

Anyway, from what I see, I do hope for Gundam Burai to get animated.
I am a Gundam!
Quiddity

i agree totally. I think AU's should still be done. I don't think they should do-away with them completely. but i think they've done EVERYTYPE of AU at this point. they need to take a break from it.
I know my opinion's not shared by everyone, but the most recent Gundam AU show in Iron Blooded Orphans they did a great job with and were able to keep it a story that didn't feel like a retread at all, but something fairly unique for Gundam. It wasn't immune from the Gundam tropes, but it was a far cry from the "Let's do UC all over again" mentality that seems to pervade many other AU shows. I'm confident that if they returned did another AU it wouldn't be that hard to do something that is not a retread. And they have taken a break; its been almost 4 years since it ended.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Mafty

Is there any plans of doing Sequels/Side story's to the AU's. There are quite a few popular/long running AU manga(ie Frozen Teardrop) as well as some high quality Phone Games (ie Urdr-Hunt) that would be cool to turn into an anime. But I guess it depends on how profitable they'd be to be made into an anime(though 00 did have a sequel movie).