SRW anime or video games?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

SRW anime or video games?

Is it possible to watch the Super Robot Wars Anime's without being familiar with any of the games? There are a lot of games that go back over 20 years, and I'm not sure how many were exported. The Anime introduces many characters and seemingly a number of different plot threads from various games, So how much of the SRW background do you need to know to understand the anime?
yazi88

Re: SRW anime or video games?

To enjoy the 2 SRW TV series, you just need knowledge of the Original Generation games. Those take the original characters from regular SRW games, and put them in their own game without any licensed works. Also really expands on the characters too in the OG games compared to the regular SRW game versions.

The Original Generation games came out on the GBA (1 and 2) which were also localized in the US. There was a spin-off called OG Frontier which is related that was also localized on the DS. Nothing else however was localized in the US for OG games.

You can watch the SRW OG anime without any knowledge of the games, but given its a adapatation, some things are changed or cut out. SRW OG anime is based on the 2 OG games on GBA and the compilation remake on PS2 called Original Generations (OGS). PS2 version was not localized.
MythSearcher

I'd say you might want to at least know the original stories adapted from SRW 3~4 to understand what is the Divine Crusaders, because OG picks up from the end of 4.(Actually, the adaptation expansion version F and F Final)
Basically the SRW story branched into the Alpha series and OG series after F Final where the OG series assumed only the original characters and factions exists in that multiverse.
You don't need to be familiar with it but the characters and factions behind them are what led to the events of the anime.
Kuruni

Which one?

The OVA pick up right after the end of OG2, so the knowledge is need.

Divine War is adaption of OG1, no game knowledge is require (although you might miss some gag, especially the Astranagant's role) .

OG2 the Animation is adaption of OG2. So you require either knowledge about OG1 or finish the Divine War.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:59 am Which one?

The OVA pick up right after the end of OG2, so the knowledge is need.

Divine War is adaption of OG1, no game knowledge is require (although you might miss some gag, especially the Astranagant's role) .

OG2 the Animation is adaption of OG2. So you require either knowledge about OG1 or finish the Divine War.
If I recall correctly, the story of OG1 tells the story of DC rebellion and is from SRW2, then you have OG2 with the Inspectors in SRW3 and Aerogator in SRW4?
Only that Londo Bell was replaced with the original series characters and ships.
MetalNeptune479

Since were on topic of the SRW anime, does anybody know why there was never a full anime adaptation of OG Gaiden or anything after 2.5? The closest there was to an OGG adaptation was the OVA which omitted alot, including the Shura who I wanted to see in anime form.
Kuruni

AKAIK, Obari also want to do more OG anime. So I guess the big B just don't see enough profit.
MythSearcher wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:19 am If I recall correctly, the story of OG1 tells the story of DC rebellion and is from SRW2, then you have OG2 with the Inspectors in SRW3 and Aerogator in SRW4?
Only that Londo Bell was replaced with the original series characters and ships.
Plot-wise... (mech and characters from different games are added all over the place)

The first half of OG1's Ryusei route is retelling of SRW2 (I think Kyosuke's route was newly written then), the second half seems to expand from Super Robot Spirit (the N64 fighting game) with mix of Alpha (very loosely).

OG2 mix 3, A, Impact, and Alpha Gaiden together. OGs remake also add starting of R.

OG Gaiden adapt the OVA, Compact 3, finish the R's plot, and set up MX plot.

2nd OG start with EX, followed by mixture of MX, D, 4/F, Alpha 2, and start of Alpha 3's Touma's route. Shu's route is separated as Dark Prison.

Moon Wellers is mixture of first two Great Battle games, J, and GC/XO. Also setup Cobray's and Selene's routes in Alpha 3.

I think that cover everything important.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mafty

Thanks for the info. I'll admit that I found the first series storyline very straightforward. However the second becomes easier to follow once all of the characters are introduced.

I agree that there is a lot of original content to adapt to SRW anime (and the games seem very popular, plus it's always great to have more mecha shows), so it's a shame there aren't more seasons, but maybe the series didn't sell as well as the games?
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:38 pm Thanks for the info. I'll admit that I found the first series storyline very straightforward. However the second becomes easier to follow once all of the characters are introduced.

I agree that there is a lot of original content to adapt to SRW anime (and the games seem very popular, plus it's always great to have more mecha shows), so it's a shame there aren't more seasons, but maybe the series didn't sell as well as the games?
I must say that the original OG games aren't really great in terms of game play.
SRW series players mainly play the games because of its nostalgic inclusion of many series, and the fun comes from having so many different robots fighting together. You can also make the robot you liked into a unstoppable hero, even if it was just pretty much a mob in the original anime.(Ok, it was hard in the older series like 1~4, but starting from Alpha, you can pretty much get Boss Boro or a RB-79[if it happened to be in that particular title, alpha itself does not] to do just that.)
(Oh, and yes, it is Boss Boro, not Boss Robo, which is both a pun of boroboro[dirty/damaged] and incorrectly switching from Robo to Boro)

The OG games instead give you Gespenst rangers. You have the standard blue for Mk-II, the black, the red, the white(T-Link system), the green, the black Mk-I R, and S, the red modified, the...ahem, you get my point. I didn't even count the RV, Alteisen(Mk-III) and Weissritter because those are obviously different.
(The anime had the type SA modified to be like the Alteisen, don't recall using that in the game though, this is also acceptable as a different enough unit that I don't see it as the Gespenst rangers)
Other than the Gespenst rangers, you get a few Grungust, and some Huckebein Mk-IIs, not really helping in the "more variation in what I can use" department.
Other than these, you have the SRX team or the ATX team, but the ATX team includes a Gespenst white and a Grungust Zero. So you basically have 5~6 non-Gespenst/Grungust/Huckebein units.

Now, I like the Gespenst and Huckebein in the older games, because they are but 2 units in many. While I lean towards the real robot genre heavily so I will say that having a troop with the same units are more practical, I do not find it fun to do so in a SRW game, which I am just basically doing the same moves over and over again with similar units.
On a map where I can use 12~15 units, after deducting the R-1~3(R-Gun came pretty late in game), Alteisen and Weissritter, you are basically left 7~10 units you will need to choose from Gespenst, Grungust and Huckebeins.(And you don't really have that much Huckebeins as it is the vanishing trooper, so mostly Gespenst and Grungust)

This is the image I get for OG1.
I know I am asking for more than I need, because even in licensed SRW games(with licensed titles) I was only mainly using the few units I liked(Like Gundam, Macross, Gunbuster) but I still get to enjoy seeing all those moves from other series that I do not often use. And seriously, some times only the titles from the Gundam franchise already outnumbered the OG1 units if I do not count colour variations. Zeta, Mk-II, Hakyahushiki, Methuss, Qubeley[counting the white and two Mk-IIs as one] ZZ, Nu, ReGZ, Sazabi, Hi-Nu, Nightingale, Jegan, F91, Vigna Ghina, Crossbone X-1/FC[counted as 1 and not 2], and the G Gundam mess of 7~8? in SRW T for example.

OG2 and OG gaiden gets better, but still, the variations aren't great compared to other SRW games. Also, newer OG titles introduces a lot of new original designs to fix that problem, which also introduce another problem, "I have no idea what these are, not too fond of them" so we fall back to the "Not enough units I can use/want to use" problem. And sadly, many of those new designs aren't really that appealing to begin with, it is not just about the design, there's also the lack of story depth behind the units that make it less relatable to the players. In licensed SRW, even if the units aren't from a popular show and I haven't watch the original anime, they are usually heavily involved in the main story, and they get a few stages where they get the spotlight. Oh, how I hate being forced to use the mob units that I never trained in some of those stages, say, flinging a level 60 boss right in front of your lv 35 mob and asking you to defeat the boss surely isn't the best option but hey, now I recall that is exactly what happened in the original anime and I can relate to that or, so that's what happened in that show. (they even skipped some of the more popular units from the story because those are popular enough that you don't need them to be in the spotlight to understand them)
In OG, I don't really get that kind of feeling. Some of the new units are just, well, part of the gang that I do not remember, and never get their own spotlight, because they are trying to sell every single one of them at the same time.

Since you do not get a lot of original robots in each SRW title, this makes sense that they can't get many new OG games and anime.