Genesis Climber Mospeada Genesis Breaker

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Iris Scope

Genesis Climber Mospeada Genesis Breaker

Brand new spinoff Mospeada Breaker project in the works by Tatsunoko and among the returning staff is Shinji Aramaki!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ct/.162419
Seto Kaiba

Re: Genesis Climber Mospeada Genesis Breaker

"We tried to do an original mecha series for the first time in decades to commemorate our 55th anniversary, and we f*cked up so hard that this is the best we can do to pretend we're still remotely relevant."
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
DragoMaster009

Wouldn't they run into the same kind of problems (Harmony Gold) as with Macross?
Henyo

DragoMaster009 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 pm Wouldn't they run into the same kind of problems (Harmony Gold) as with Macross?
No i think? since Tatsunoko animated Mospeada themselves. the likely scenario i can see is Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold letting one of the major anime streaming services show this new work. least likely is another Robotech adaptation of that new work.

i read the episode reviews a long time ago. is Mospeada worth checking out? i'm most likely going to watch the new entry before watching the original Mospeada(thats how i roll regardless if a work is a sequel or prequel)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 pm
DragoMaster009 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 pm Wouldn't they run into the same kind of problems (Harmony Gold) as with Macross?
No i think? since Tatsunoko animated Mospeada themselves. the likely scenario i can see is Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold letting one of the major anime streaming services show this new work. least likely is another Robotech adaptation of that new work.
No major streaming service wants anything to do with Robotech... that's why they're on garbage-tier services like Crackle and distributor-specific services like Funimation Now.

Plus, I think I should point out that literally nothing has been said about what format this new "project" is taking... nobody has said it's an anime. It would be rather surprising if it were, given that the original MOSPEADA was honestly a commercial failure in Japan and worldwide. It never gained more than a cult following. We don't know what Genesis Breaker is going to be. Maybe it's just a toy line. Maybe it's a manga. Maybe a light novel. All we've known since it was announced like a year ago is the title. All this most recent news has done is put another piece of art to it that looks like the stuff done for the cover of an artbook that came out a few years back, and an acknowledgement that its setting is that of a side story to the series.

Henyo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 pm i read the episode reviews a long time ago. is Mospeada worth checking out? i'm most likely going to watch the new entry before watching the original Mospeada(thats how i roll regardless if a work is a sequel or prequel)
Genesis Climber MOSPEADA is a pretty mediocre series, all told.

It was one of a number of titles in the mid-80's that were rushed out in an attempt to capitalize on the start of the transforming robot craze kicked off by Macross in 1982. Most of them - MOSPEADA included - did rather poorly and the cumulative losses incurred by their licensees drove several significant model kit manufacturers that specialized in anime licenses out of business.

It's pretty heavily derivative of Macross. The gist of it is that, in 2050, aliens invaded Earth out of the blue and took the place over, and thirty years later the humans who escaped into space start launching attacks on the planet to oust the invaders and retake their homeworld. The first attack is an epic fail, and the show starts with the second in 2083, which also fails but strands a bunch of soldiers including the main character behind enemy lines on Earth. Ironically, the toy partner's desire to cash in on Macross's popularity meant that the titular mecha (the transforming motorbike MOSPEADA) is perpetually out-of-focus in favor of a transforming fighter jet called the Legioss.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

well that's good to know. one less thing to add to my long already watch list.i still have those Goshogun episodes lying in my laptop. on TOP of those Magical Girl titles.

and whoa. that is a deadly blow Mospeada dealt to the peeps involved.

least the Opening them was catchy and memorable. LONELY SOLDIER BOY~
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 pm well that's good to know. one less thing to add to my long already watch list.i still have those Goshogun episodes lying in my laptop. on TOP of those Magical Girl titles.
It's not a bad show... it just doesn't really do a lot to stand out.

Meddling licensees aside, MOSPEADA's biggest issue is that the Inbit don't seem to be committed to their role as the antagonists of the story. They might've invaded and conquered Earth, but they're totally inscrutable because the average Inbit never leaves its mecha and they're pretty damn laid back about the whole thing. Most of the time, the Inbit don't really do anything to anyone apart from pursuing enemy soldiers and the actual bad guys are other humans who sell soldiers out to the Inbit for personal gain. There's no real insight into the Inbit until right at the end, when humanoid Inbit start appearing.

Henyo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 pm and whoa. that is a deadly blow Mospeada dealt to the peeps involved.
It wasn't just MOSPEADA... it was a string of under-performing copycats and hangers-on including Orguss, MOSPEADA, Southern Cross, etc. that resulted in a string of losses for licensees like Imai and Arii.

Henyo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:51 pm least the Opening them was catchy and memorable. LONELY SOLDIER BOY~
Oh yeah, "In Search of Lost Legends" is a real banger.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

Another issue is the pacing of the story. Aside from the beginning and end, there are not a lot of huge engagements. mostly it's the main characters on a melancholy journey across earth, as they witness the long lasting effects of the invasion. its rather like if you took the earth arc of Gundam and made a whole series out of it.

That being said some of the filler is kinda weird (SPOILERS,ie people worshiping a dam, everyone cos playing in a dream, dinosaurs, etc). This combined with the lack of bigger battles means that the story itself can get kinda slow at times. in fact according to Gears Online that may have been a factor in the show not doing as well.

It's interesting that the model kits undersold. Mospeda seemed to have some pretty cool mecha designs, and the battle animation is still very well done, so it seems odd that the show under preformed in merchandising.
Henyo

hmm..a slice of life style show set in a mecha show setting, showing the effects of mecha warfare. not a bad premise truth be told. and the enemy being...not active is it similar to sentai/power ranger seasons where the Main Boss just stays in the base for almost the whole run?(like Shinkenger/PR Samurai)