will Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 TV Edit get released?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bhayes82

will Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 TV Edit get released?

Quick question for anyone here.

i have recently had the chance to see 0096 TV edit of Unicorn online. And to be honest i like this better than the 1 hour long OAVs.

the TV edit has necessary narration along with Intros and Outros and pause breaks..

the convoluted politics and the three groups at conflict and all the characters its tuff to follow sometimes

the TV edit takes this massive story and chops it up into digestable parts.

i only see the OAV version of unicorn available on blu ray

and 0096 on OUT-PRINT Japanese dvds on ebay and amazon.

did the tv edit w/ english dub get an official release?
yazi88

Re: will Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096 TV Edit get released?

0096 was a lazy TV edit with very few things added. The only nice thing to come out of it was the new music.

This TV edit was made to replace a no name anime that was cancelled at the time.

It adds nothing of actual value, outside a few extra scenes.
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:49 am 0096 was a lazy TV edit with very few things added. The only nice thing to come out of it was the new music.

This TV edit was made to replace a no name anime that was cancelled at the time.

True, but I've never known Japanese media distributors to pass on a chance to make an extra buck.

I'd expect that they'd try to package the OVA and TV cut together in a single superset release like they did with the Macross Plus OVA, and possibly try to stick that same strategy onto a later US Blu-ray.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
bhayes82

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:08 am
yazi88 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:49 am 0096 was a lazy TV edit with very few things added. The only nice thing to come out of it was the new music.

True, but I've never known Japanese media distributors to pass on a chance to make an extra buck.

I'd expect that they'd try to package the OVA and TV cut together in a single superset release like they did with the Macross Plus OVA, and possibly try to stick that same strategy onto a later US Blu-ray.
agreed. two versions of the same producet = more $$$
Seto Kaiba

bhayes82 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:25 pm agreed. two versions of the same producet = more $$$
Eh, in this case I think it'd be more likely to manifest as a "special edition" Blu-ray release down the road... Japan's domestic market has an unreasonable love affair with those two words, which are usually an excuse to jack up the price of a product significantly in exchange for a few add-ons.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yazi88

Sunrise has done this before too, the earliest I can remember was Gaogaigar Final Grand Glorious Gathering, which was a expanded TV version of Final OVAs, but it added in a number of new things too with some new animation and also a bigger connection to its spin-off series Betterman.

Break Blade had a TV edit from the movies, but it was a bit of extra padding, nothing much there either.

Its a lazy way to resell a boxset most of the time with these TV edits of OVAs/movies. More so than the opposite form of the movie special/compilations that are based on TV shows. Those tend to add in some extra stuff while cutting out some fat. Although its not always the case and it varies a lot given they don't tend to be that good either.