Which era of Gundam is your favorite?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bhayes82

Which era of Gundam is your favorite?

For me i enjoy the late 80s/early-mid 90s Universal Century Gundam shows.

specifically (The Movies) and (OAVs)

MSG, Zeta and Gundam ZZ are good for their time. but with CCA, 0080, 0083 and F91. the character designs, the budget, the quality of animation, visual affects, felt like a more 'mature' Gundam.

MSG was a game changer but...its still a product of the 70s. it's OLD. Zeta and ZZ are good. the animation quality

but all three have a cartoony feel to the look of the shows. the show is basically a gigantic toy.

CCA and 0080 really i feel brought 'maturity' to the Gundam Universe that had not been seen before.

and this 'maturity' continued into F91, 0083 and 08th team

don't got me wrong. i respect the MSG, Zeta and ZZ but they're cartoony-looking toy-ish looking in comparison to the films and OAVs.

Unicorn, The Orgin also have this maturity feeling as well but with more updated animation. it also feels like 'Hathaway' will continue this tradition.

shows like Wing, SEED, G Gundam and others while they're innovative shows. have a cartoony toy-merchandising for the kids feel to them and for that reason i can't get into them as much.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Which era of Gundam is your favorite?

bhayes82 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 pm Which era of Gundam is your favorite?
Eh... probably either the Anno Domini or Post-Disaster works, 2007-2017 AU stuff.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 was basically a remake of New Mobile Report Gundam Wing, but not half-assed, and it showed. Sadly, the first season's ending was WAY better than the second season's or movie's. It would be my favorite Gundam title of all time if it'd ended at the end of the first season.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans was a very different, Nagano-esque Gundam series that felt much more fresh than other offerings from the franchise, so I enjoyed it a lot.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I enjoyed every single Gundam series up until Age. That was the first series that I did not enjoy and had to force myself to finish. The animation in in 0080, 0083 and F91 must have cost a fortune and I understand why we will never get anything like that again (and traditional animation is mostly dead so the "look" of these old gundam series are gone forever) not saying I am against computer animation just enjoy the look of old series.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
SonicSP

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:23 pmEh... probably either the Anno Domini or Post-Disaster works, 2007-2017 AU stuff.
Yeah, the HD era would be my favorite too.

00 and IBO are my top favorites personally. I love the mecha designs of 00, AGE and IBO in general. The mecha lore of 00 and IBO I especially enjoyed too.

The UC releases during this era was also generally pretty good too, minus some exceptions but they all looked gorgeous while also keeping their artstyle.

1/144 kits, which is my favorite scale were also starting to be good in general starting with 00. I recalled it was still pretty bad during the Seed days.
DragoMaster009

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:23 pm
bhayes82 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 pm Which era of Gundam is your favorite?
Eh... probably either the Anno Domini or Post-Disaster works, 2007-2017 AU stuff.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 was basically a remake of New Mobile Report Gundam Wing, but not half-assed, and it showed. Sadly, the first season's ending was WAY better than the second season's or movie's. It would be my favorite Gundam title of all time if it'd ended at the end of the first season.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans was a very different, Nagano-esque Gundam series that felt much more fresh than other offerings from the franchise, so I enjoyed it a lot.
I hope you're implying that Ribbons and his remaining cohorts like Ali should've also been taken out during the final battle of Season 1 if the show had stopped there as you wanted it. Otherwise the future of that Earth would've been a very dreadful thing.
Seto Kaiba

DragoMaster009 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:49 am I hope you're implying that Ribbons and his remaining cohorts like Ali should've also been taken out during the final battle of Season 1 if the show had stopped there as you wanted it. Otherwise the future of that Earth would've been a very dreadful thing.
Kinda, yeah... Ali was more or less an afterthought by that point and Ribbons's involvement hadn't really been set up yet except as that creepy guy who followed Alejandro Corner around. It wasn't until Season 2 that we found out the newly unified Earth's new Federation Government was pretty much instantly a cesspool of corruption with that hefty disregard for human life.

Basically, at the end of Gundam 00 Season 1 it looks like Celestial Being's plan was to self-sacrifice for the sake of the world and that they'd actually succeeded in making humanity forget its internal enmity. Then Season 2 came along and undid everything they achieved so they'd have an excuse to go back in and try to fix it by doing the same thing they did the first time only less effectively.
The Macross Mecha Manual
bhayes82

i just recently looked at Gundam 00. The concept is nice...but i simply can't get past the feminine character designs for the male heroes and the main mobile suits and some of the male side characters. it's like they had an agenda with doing this. it kinda takes me out of the show abit. other than that. 00 is a pretty solid show...
SonicSP

bhayes82 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:07 am i just recently looked at Gundam 00. The concept is nice...but i simply can't get past the feminine character designs for the male heroes and the main mobile suits and some of the male side characters. it's like they had an agenda with doing this. it kinda takes me out of the show abit. other than that. 00 is a pretty solid show...
Aside from Tieria, which is understandable given what he is, I don't think any of the male leads look feminine at all.

The mobile suits certainly don't look feminine either, save for Nadleeh, Tieren Taozi and GN Archer. Certainly the main four are fairly masculine looking, especially Virtue/Seravee.
Seto Kaiba

bhayes82 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:07 am i just recently looked at Gundam 00. The concept is nice...but i simply can't get past the feminine character designs for the male heroes and the main mobile suits and some of the male side characters. it's like they had an agenda with doing this. it kinda takes me out of the show abit. other than that. 00 is a pretty solid show...
... huh? Tieria aside, none of the male leads look feminine... certainly no more so than any other male anime character who isn't either gonk or a muscleman. It's an especially odd complaint given how the women in the series were drawn, which was a VERY fanservice-y style that left no doubt the character designer likes his women on the curvy side.

The Mobile Suits are a bit slimmer than usual, but it's all in aid of emphasizing that this era's technology is substantially more advanced than that of other Gundam settings (save for Post Disaster), and are far more agile than the slower, plodding suits of UC and other eras.
The Macross Mecha Manual
SonicSP

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:56 pmIt's an especially odd complaint given how the women in the series were drawn, which was a VERY fanservice-y style that left no doubt the character designer likes his women on the curvy side.

​On the fanservice women note, personally I don't think most of the 00 female designs are like that. I would say only Season 1 Sumeragi (her breasts size were reduced in S2, and wore a uniform than her S1 casual clothes), pilot suit Nena and maybe Christina.

Everyone else, Katie, Hilling, Louise, Kinue, Soma, Feldt, Mileina, Marina all look fairly normal to me. Possibly due to one of the two character designers (Yun Kouga) being a woman, but who knows.
Kuruni

Not exactly "era"? But the Sadrac World is surely my favorite setting right now. And it's unlikely to change unless Sunrise fresh out the world of MS Girl Note.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:56 pmIt's an especially odd complaint given how the women in the series were drawn, which was a VERY fanservice-y style
Well, with fan embrace it by insist to call it as Gundam OO (oppai) instead of its official name, they sure love it.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Seto Kaiba

SonicSP wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:18 am
Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:56 pmIt's an especially odd complaint given how the women in the series were drawn, which was a VERY fanservice-y style that left no doubt the character designer likes his women on the curvy side.

​On the fanservice women note, personally I don't think most of the 00 female designs are like that. I would say only Season 1 Sumeragi (her breasts size were reduced in S2, and wore a uniform than her S1 casual clothes), pilot suit Nena and maybe Christina.

Everyone else, Katie, Hilling, Louise, Kinue, Soma, Feldt, Mileina, Marina all look fairly normal to me. Possibly due to one of the two character designers (Yun Kouga) being a woman, but who knows.
TBH, I'm not sure they really toned it down in Season 2 so much as they just got away from having the majority of the show's female cast wearing skintight outfits when Celestial Being spontaneously sprouted a super sentai bellhop dress code.

Looking at the character art in Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Data Archives, most of the female cast are sporting an hourglass figure and fairly large bust. Sumeragi, Cristina, Feldt, Wang Liu Mei, Nena, Louise, and even Shirin are all drawn pretty large in the bust department. Some of the promo art even puts Soma in the same category with those other girls. The only prominent woman in the show who isn't drawn very busty is Kati, the rest are background girls like the Vashtis, Saji's sister, and Louise's mom. You can't count Innovades like Hilling, Anew, etc. because they don't actually have a gender. (Literally, the statement in their bio for Gender is "-".)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

I pretty much like all of the gundam timelines (Save for G and IBO) but my faviortie would probably be the UC era. I agree with the poster saying that the original was groundbreaking, but its animation aged poorly.

However the animation budget and design definitly improved in the late eighties sequels (Z,ZZ,CCA,) And by the time we reach 0080 they probably had the most realistically mechanical look of any of the series.

My favorite newer UC entry is Thunderbolt.The story is dark yet still manages to be very entertaining. The characters are flawed, but not to the point they become totally unlikable, and the violence is not so extreme that the show is hard to watch(I found this was an issue with IBO, but that was likely their moral.)

As for AU's personally I think that X is kind of underrated and could have done with a better animation budget.Likewise Turn A is a great sequel series and Tomino at his best writing and character wise. I also have always loved SEED. i know that this is divisive and derivative, but it was the first series I actually watched all the way through when I was younger, plus I think that at least the first season is still enjoyable.
LightningCount

There is a lot of good Gundam...but I would say my favorite era overall is the decade of 1989-1999.

It starts with Gundam 0080. Tight, emotional storytelling with amazing visuals. Its opening sequence with Cyclops Team might be the most iconic in all of Gundam to me. Next is Gundam F-91...which is a little underwhelming on the whole due to its strange production history, but is intriguing, nice to look at, and has a likable cast. Gundam 0083 is a visual tour de force in its visuals and action, with an engaging race-against-time plot full of backstabbing that sets up the world of Zeta Gundam. It's only shortcoming is that some of its main protagonists are underwhelming or annoying at times, but the cast of villains makes up for them. Victory Gundam I have sadly yet to see in entirety, but it seems interesting...and almost AU-like.

G-Gundam stretches Gundam about as far as it can go while still feeling like Gundam to me; it's extremely creative in its scenarios and surprisingly emotional in its storytelling. Gundam Wing: I know it's always going to be controversial, but to me, in spite of its issues, it's still my favorite Gundam. While other Gundams do individual elements better, it feels like it brings forth the best of Gundam--politics, mecha, philosophy, interpersonal struggles, action, a lived-in sense of place, a sprawling sense of history, memorable music--in an innovative package full of twists and turns. (While the later Gundam 00 tries to recapture this, and is good in its own right, it feels like its more skimming the surface of Wing overall.) Gundam X is an underrated follow-up to Gundam Wing that does a good job blending Wing and UC, and like G and Wing before it, it does so in an innovative way that feels fresh. I actually consider it the successor to Gundam Wing, prior to Gundam 00, with how it mixes its elements and how it handles its aesthetics. The Estard Arc, in particular, feels like lost episodes of Gundam Wing. Its biggest weakness is the fact that it was cut short (and the tragic fact it was never given an English dub).

Gundam 08th MS Team is a grunt-focused version of Gundam Wing through the eyes of UC, and is spectacular. It feels like a companion piece to 0083, but with a better overall cast. Turn-A Gundam, which I finally caught up with last year, almost feels like Tomino's version of Gundam X. It has a fantastic world and sense of humanity, and cleverly unites disparate Gundam timelines. But with maybe a handful of exceptions, it never seems to rise to the best moments of this Gundam era. I somehow felt like it felt content to sit atop the plateau phase of storytelling, sort of like easy-listening music. Still, the sheer ambition and uniqueness of the series gets props.

...So, I have a blind spot in there with Victory Gundam; Gundam F-91 leans toward middling; and Turn-A felt a little too "in the pocket/indecisive" with the execution of its narrative, but other than that, you've got most of my top Gundam series in there. The OVAs of 0080, 0083, and 08th Team are unforgettable, and the experimental AU quadrilogy of G, Wing, X, and Turn-A were amazingly fresh and influential takes on the franchise that still hold up in various facets today.

The other eras are not without their merits, though. I still haven't gotten around to ZZ, and have yet to finish the second half of Zeta (which I was lukewarm on, despite acknowledging its importance), but I'm very fond of MSG and fairly fond of CCA.

The C.E. era was one that took me a long time to warm up to, and it has some unevenness to it, but it really did do a remarkable job rebooting Gundam and had a lot of memorable moments. I incorrectly have stated in the past that SEED stuck too close to MSG early on, but that's not really the case rewatching MSG. The similarities are pretty superficial. And Destiny, despite all the hate it gets, is really ambitious and has perhaps the best interpersonal/psychological/philosophical/political discourses outside of Gundam Wing. (With a better final quarter, a little less recap, and less awkward use of the Archangel crew, Destiny could have been remembered more fondly.) Stargazer feels like a new 0080, though much more limited in its runtime/budget. Ultimately, the C.E. era bottle-necked itself a bit too much, which is a shame, since in retrospect, it has a very strong world setup.

I feel like the modern era of Gundam has been confusing, but has also yielded some top-tier contenders. Gundam 00 was a really strong kick in the pants for the franchise, but Season 2 didn't quite measure up to Season 1. (I at times wonder if the Season 1 world setup should have been explored longer before the Federation and A-LAWs arc became front and center.) Meanwhile, A Wakening of the Trailblazer, which I enjoyed more than S2 overall I think, felt like it pretty much closed things off (despite statements in recent years that the 00 series will return with post-ELS stories).

Gundam Unicorn
was such a visually impressive project with an interesting setup, but I don't know that it all held together for me. I liked it, but never could fully love it somehow. Gundam: The Origin is maybe my favorite Gundam thing overall since Gundam 00. It's really well done. Gundam Thunderbolt comes close, despite being a little rough around the edges. Gundam AGE I've yet to catch up with, but I actually have some decent hopes for it despite all the negative things I've heard.

Gundam IBO was one of the biggest disappointments for me recently. It tried to do something different and ambitious, but it just felt messy and awkward. It has some nice moments, but it just couldn't pull itself together for me. Gundam NT had nice ideas but felt like a footnote entry. Hathaway's Flash looks very promising. And the Build Fighters stuff (which almost feels like it dominates the current era), I've checked in with it every now and then, but I can't get into it. It just stratifies and simplifies too much of what I like about Gundam. I need more behind the Gundams fighting, or else it just starts to blur in my head. Obviously, all of these are my opinions and impressions, and everyone's going to be affected by series in different ways.

Perhaps the biggest thing I've noticed during this newest era is how some mecha shows have come along that at times do Gundam as good or better than Gundam. Fafner Exodus, Argevollen, and Aldnoah.Zero were very strong non-Gundam mecha genre outings in recent-ish years.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
BrentD15

UC era will still claim my heart, but the AD and PD eras are competing for second.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
bhayes82

LightningCount wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:31 pm There is a lot of good Gundam...but I would say my favorite era overall is the decade of 1989-1999.

It starts with Gundam 0080. Tight, emotional storytelling with amazing visuals. Its opening sequence with Cyclops Team might be the most iconic in all of Gundam to me. Next is Gundam F-91...which is a little underwhelming on the whole due to its strange production history, but is intriguing, nice to look at, and has a likable cast. Gundam 0083 is a visual tour de force in its visuals and action, with an engaging race-against-time plot full of backstabbing that sets up the world of Zeta Gundam. It's only shortcoming is that some of its main protagonists are underwhelming or annoying at times, but the cast of villains makes up for them. Victory Gundam I have sadly yet to see in entirety, but it seems interesting...and almost AU-like.

G-Gundam stretches Gundam about as far as it can go while still feeling like Gundam to me; it's extremely creative in its scenarios and surprisingly emotional in its storytelling. Gundam Wing: I know it's always going to be controversial, but to me, in spite of its issues, it's still my favorite Gundam. While other Gundams do individual elements better, it feels like it brings forth the best of Gundam--politics, mecha, philosophy, interpersonal struggles, action, a lived-in sense of place, a sprawling sense of history, memorable music--in an innovative package full of twists and turns. (While the later Gundam 00 tries to recapture this, and is good in its own right, it feels like its more skimming the surface of Wing overall.) Gundam X is an underrated follow-up to Gundam Wing that does a good job blending Wing and UC, and like G and Wing before it, it does so in an innovative way that feels fresh. I actually consider it the successor to Gundam Wing, prior to Gundam 00, with how it mixes its elements and how it handles its aesthetics. The Estard Arc, in particular, feels like lost episodes of Gundam Wing. Its biggest weakness is the fact that it was cut short (and the tragic fact it was never given an English dub).

Gundam 08th MS Team is a grunt-focused version of Gundam Wing through the eyes of UC, and is spectacular. It feels like a companion piece to 0083, but with a better overall cast. Turn-A Gundam, which I finally caught up with last year, almost feels like Tomino's version of Gundam X. It has a fantastic world and sense of humanity, and cleverly unites disparate Gundam timelines. But with maybe a handful of exceptions, it never seems to rise to the best moments of this Gundam era. I somehow felt like it felt content to sit atop the plateau phase of storytelling, sort of like easy-listening music. Still, the sheer ambition and uniqueness of the series gets props.

...So, I have a blind spot in there with Victory Gundam; Gundam F-91 leans toward middling; and Turn-A felt a little too "in the pocket/indecisive" with the execution of its narrative, but other than that, you've got most of my top Gundam series in there. The OVAs of 0080, 0083, and 08th Team are unforgettable, and the experimental AU quadrilogy of G, Wing, X, and Turn-A were amazingly fresh and influential takes on the franchise that still hold up in various facets today.

The other eras are not without their merits, though. I still haven't gotten around to ZZ, and have yet to finish the second half of Zeta (which I was lukewarm on, despite acknowledging its importance), but I'm very fond of MSG and fairly fond of CCA.

The C.E. era was one that took me a long time to warm up to, and it has some unevenness to it, but it really did do a remarkable job rebooting Gundam and had a lot of memorable moments. I incorrectly have stated in the past that SEED stuck too close to MSG early on, but that's not really the case rewatching MSG. The similarities are pretty superficial. And Destiny, despite all the hate it gets, is really ambitious and has perhaps the best interpersonal/psychological/philosophical/political discourses outside of Gundam Wing. (With a better final quarter, a little less recap, and less awkward use of the Archangel crew, Destiny could have been remembered more fondly.) Stargazer feels like a new 0080, though much more limited in its runtime/budget. Ultimately, the C.E. era bottle-necked itself a bit too much, which is a shame, since in retrospect, it has a very strong world setup.

I feel like the modern era of Gundam has been confusing, but has also yielded some top-tier contenders. Gundam 00 was a really strong kick in the pants for the franchise, but Season 2 didn't quite measure up to Season 1. (I at times wonder if the Season 1 world setup should have been explored longer before the Federation and A-LAWs arc became front and center.) Meanwhile, A Wakening of the Trailblazer, which I enjoyed more than S2 overall I think, felt like it pretty much closed things off (despite statements in recent years that the 00 series will return with post-ELS stories).

Gundam Unicorn
was such a visually impressive project with an interesting setup, but I don't know that it all held together for me. I liked it, but never could fully love it somehow. Gundam: The Origin is maybe my favorite Gundam thing overall since Gundam 00. It's really well done. Gundam Thunderbolt comes close, despite being a little rough around the edges. Gundam AGE I've yet to catch up with, but I actually have some decent hopes for it despite all the negative things I've heard.

Gundam IBO was one of the biggest disappointments for me recently. It tried to do something different and ambitious, but it just felt messy and awkward. It has some nice moments, but it just couldn't pull itself together for me. Gundam NT had nice ideas but felt like a footnote entry. Hathaway's Flash looks very promising. And the Build Fighters stuff (which almost feels like it dominates the current era), I've checked in with it every now and then, but I can't get into it. It just stratifies and simplifies too much of what I like about Gundam. I need more behind the Gundams fighting, or else it just starts to blur in my head. Obviously, all of these are my opinions and impressions, and everyone's going to be affected by series in different ways.

Perhaps the biggest thing I've noticed during this newest era is how some mecha shows have come along that at times do Gundam as good or better than Gundam. Fafner Exodus, Argevollen, and Aldnoah.Zero were very strong non-Gundam mecha genre outings in recent-ish years.

Yeah. Good breakdown. For me, it starts with Char's Counterattack. it all 'starts' there for me.

I've been watching gundam since 2001. And i think the days of Gundam Series' that are 50+ episodes long are over. that's TOO much content. the way they handles Thunderbolt, Unicorn & Origin is the smart way. big budget 1 hour movies (mini-series) that gets reedited for TV episodes. and using streaming, VOD and blu ray and keep the shows 'short' is more digestiable.
if u notice 00 and IBO are broken down into 'season' arcs that are 22 episodes. that's more digestible. and how it 'should' be.

Mobile Suit Gundam was groundbreaking for its time but it's OLD and LONG. (43 episodes). the only reason why its watchable is because the dubbing by the voice cast is so superb that it gives emotion and depth to the series & characters. it's good to see THE BEGINNING but it's painful to watch the old animation at times.

this is part of the reason why i LOVE - Gundam The Origin anime. it takes the sound and feel of the old series and UPDATES it for modern audiences. It's five 1 hour long movies (22 episodes in TV series format). And it captures the spirit of the old series but the animation is on level with the OAVs.

Zeta Gundam was a good anime but suffered from having a WEAK english dub. it's not terrible but its a STEP DOWN from the great work done on the original series. many of the voices feel dull, flat and uninspired. the Zeta Gundam dub is one of the scenarios where a good but older anime is slightly ruined by a sub-par DUB. but still even if the the dub was great. this show is 50+ episodes long. that's too damn long.

ZZ Gundam. again another LONG anime. but this anime they went LOONEY tunes with the series. You can tell by the design of the series that Bandai was trying to take the franchise in a new direction. the animation this time is actually pretty decent but still OLDER. like i said. these older shows that are LONG are more tolerable with a high-quality dub. but they're still too long.

Char's Counterattack (CCA) and 0080 i feel was the beginning of Mature Gundam. Mature character designs, higher quality animation. It's just better sci-fi anime gundam.

a lot of the technological advances introduced in Zeta & ZZ are just depicted better in CCA. The panoramic monitors and the funnels. everything.

CCA, 0080, 0083 & F91 (late '80s/early '90s) i love as the best looking mature gundam that has that 'classic' feel.

i love 08th Team as a good mid-'90s U.C. based OAV made in the vein of 0080 & 0083.

i thought i liked WING but looking back on it now. It's too boring for me. very boring series. the dialogue is too dry. i don't like looking at it. and its too long. G Gundam is a FUN show but again its TOO LONG. 50+ episodes is too long. and for the Gundams that didn't get dubbed, i can't look at them. I need my gundam's in English. Victory, X, ZZ, Turn A. I haven't looked at them. 00 felt like a remake of Wing but with a modern twist and a different format. I liked SEED but they didn't do anything that that timeline. there was an opportunity to do a FILM conclusion to the series and they didn't do it. and this RE-DUB of the SEED was a bad idea. The voice cast for the first dub was fine. they could've easily just hired the original actors from Canada to come in an do some extra dubbing to match the remasted footage. the new voices are decent but i prefer the original voices.

but i feel a 'new' era of Gundam is coming that will focus on the U.C. timeline.

I think they've really pushed the envelope with AU's. i mean how many more can they do? It's getting played out at this point. G, Wing, Seed, AGE, Turn A, X, IBO, 00 and i even feel Reconguista feels like an AU. Its 'supposed' to be a U.C. continuation but it might as well be an AU.

the build divers/build fighters STYLE gundam and for the kiddies but it celebrates all the eras of Gundam.

First we got Unicorn then Origin then 'Thunderbolt', and now were getting Hathaway movie trilogy.

and the announcement from the character designer of Gundam Origin saying he's working on something related to the First Gundam and it came shortly after G40 debuted.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... rst-gundam

i won't be surprised if when the Hathaway Trilogy is done. I'll bet they're gonna do Gundam origin continuation/remake of the old series. it just makes sense. I know G40 was just a short 'special' but it felt like Bandai was testing to see how people would react to a CGI Gundam vs Zaku.

and if I'm right - they might as well go back and redo the first three series using the animation style seen in the G40 special. They have an opportunity to re-animate the old shows to be on level with the OAVs. and i say keep them short and condensed. The idea of four or five - 1 hour movies spread out over years and then broken down into tv series eps - like what they did with Origin and Unicorn is the way forward.

and i just think they should keep doing the build divers series for the kiddies and do big-budget adaptations of the Popular Mangas in the U.C. timeline.
Kuruni

bhayes82 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:23 pm I think they've really pushed the envelope with AU's. i mean how many more can they do? It's getting played out at this point.
Well, Toei keep releasing Super Sentai every year since 1975 with 45th series coming this year. And aside from some crossover, most are set in their own continuity.
Dark Duel

I will never, ever get tired of After War Gundam X. It's one of the bleakest entries in terms of setting, being mostly set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland after mass colony drops annihilated something like 99.9% of the population of Earth, yet it is one of the most unabashedly optimistic series in terms of its tone.
Plus, there's the explicit refutation of the idea that Newtypes are somehow evolutionarily superior to "Oldtypes", which I love.

And I mean come on, I know that, as much as it annoys me, the "hijack a mobile suit" trope has been a part of the franchise since Zeta, but I have to give props to a series in which the main protagonist pulls it off THREE TIMES, two of them within the same episode.
Plus, he's just a generally likable character - probably one of the most likable protagonists the franchise has ever had.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
bhayes82

I'm just curious to see what they do after Hathaway has completed its run. Alternate Universe stories i think are just played out at this point. they're have been too many of them. the novelty of AU gundam has worn off. there's a point where one runs out of ideas. and the U.C. is a treasure trove of stories.

Bandai should stick with the build divers series & the Reconguista show for the children

and satisfy the adult U.C. fans worldwide.

I say they should lean heavily into U.C. Gundam manga adaptations & finish those series' that were left with cliff hangers. :

1. Continue/finish' adapting the rest of Gundam Origin but using the style of animation used in G40 special for the mecha-
2. Adapt Char's Deleted Affair Manga to animation and add to it to show what happened to the main characters
2. adapt the Zeta Gundam Define manga for animation (in the same fashion as Origin).
3. adapt Gundam Sentinel since it occurs in between Zeta and ZZ
4. remake Gundam ZZ
5. Finish the Gundam Unicorn/Narrative story arc (narrative ended w/ a cliff hanger)
6. Finish Gundam Thunderbolt (thunderbolt ended w/ a cliff hanger)
7. Adapt F90 manga & adapt/redo Crossbone
8. Adapt Blue Destiny manga.
Kuruni

...are you serious? Your solution of "they're have been too many of them. the novelty has worn off." is to turn to remake? I say no, because there're too many of them, the novelty has worn off.